Four is a Charm

Open Relationship; Open to Trouble

FOUR IS A CHARM

“My heart is beating really fast.”

 

You would think it would be awkward for Jiwon to be alone with Kris now. But jumping into a lake together somehow got rid of all awkwardness. Every time one of them thought back to what happened, they just remembered the freezing temperature of the lake and shuddered. Not wanting to think back to the lake meant they also didn’t think back to their paper kiss. So in a way, they were able to block out and forget the tingly feelings they had yesterday. 

Nothing really changed except for Luhan.

“Still thinking back to out magical moment?”

Jiwon looked behind her to find Luhan with the same smirk from last night. 

“What moment?”

“Our lips touched. Sparks flied.” Luhan made an explosion noise with dramatic hand gestures. 

“Sparks?” Jiwon thought back to the feeling she had during the moment she had with Kris. She shuddered. 

“When the hearts start beating faster and the world ends up spiraling until there was only the two of us.” Luhan explained. “Should I kiss you again to remind you?” 

“Leave my partner alone.” Kris came up from behind and poked Luhan with a hiking stick.

“You stole Jiwon from me.” Luhan furrowed his eyebrows when he remembered what happened a couple of minutes ago.

“Yeah yeah.” Kris rolled his eyes. “Go complain about it to your partner.”

Luhan gave Kris a frown before giving up to catch up with Chanyeol. 

“He’s being a bit weirder than usual.” Jiwon looked to Luhan up in front who kept looking back at her from afar. 

“Luhan is just weird.” 


“This is impossible.” Jiwon yelled out in frustration. 

“Just keep looking.” Kris told her, referring to the blue flag they were assigned to find.

“But I’m tired.” Jiwon squatted down and buried her face in her knees.

“What do you want me to do?” Kris was frustrated too. Who wouldn't be walking around in the mountains looking for a stupid flag?

“Give me a piggy back ride.” Jiwon whined. 

“Yeah right.” Kris rolled his eyes at the thought. As if he wasn’t tired already.

“Come on. I do so much for you.” 

“Like what?” Kris was baffled by such a claim.

“I-I-I have to follow you around all day and do stuff for you.”

“That’s your job.” 

“It’s not my job to make sure you get your lunch the way you like to. It’s not my job to make sure you go home safely. It's not my job to save your face. I could have very well leave you all drunk, storming into Sora’s apartment like a mad man-“

“Get on.” Kris hissed when he remembered the night. Kris didn’t agree though because he was thankful that Jiwon stopped him from going to Sora. It was because he vaguely remembered the expression Jiwon had on her face. Giving her a piggyback ride should get rid of his guilty conscious.

“Thanks.” Jiwon smiled and climbed onto Kris’s back. 

“Just look out for the flag.” Kris mumbled grumpily.

Here we go again again. 

There was something different about hearing Kris’s voice so closely. 

Now, Jiwon wished she hadn’t got onto Kris’s back. It reminded of the butterflies she had last night. 

And Kris? Being so close in contact with Jiwon again also reminded him.

“My heart is beating really fast.” Jiwon did the thing again where she would blurt out what she was thinking. 

She can’t believe she just said that out loud. Jiwon knew her face must be really red. 

“What?” Kris heard very clearly what Jiwon said, with her being right next to his ears and all. But it’s still a bit shocking to hear someone say something like that.

“You-You know, from the hike and all.” Jiwon quickly tried to cover up.

“Yeah. Me too. From the hike.” Kris nodded at the thought.

That must be it. The hike. 


Jiwon didn’t know how she was talked into it, but Chanyeol, Luhan and her were playing chubby bunny, with spicy rice cakes. So while Kris went off to freshen up because he 'didn’t want to join stupid', they were stuffing their faces with spicy rice cake.

“Chubby bunny.” Luhan successfully pronounced after putting yet another piece of rice cake in his mouth. 

“Chubby. Bunny.” Chanyeol also was able to say. 

“Chub-“ Jiwon felt like she was about to puke the second she opened . 

Jiwon ran off quickly too one of the outside sinks to first spit out all the rice cakes and rinse . 

“That’s disgusting.” Kris who was washing his face nearby watched Jiwon with a scrunched up face. “I told you it was a bad idea.” 

Jiwon ignored his useless comments and tried her best to get the spicy taste out of . It was so spicy that the taste kind of got up to her nose.

“Here.” Kris poked Jiwon’s sides with a water bottle.

She took it from him without saying a word and chugged the entire bottle in one go. Kris chuckled when he saw Jiwon’s face. “What?” 

“You have a little-“ Kris just shook his head and wiped the sauce away around Jiwon’s mouth for him.

Jiwon just starred with wide eyes when Kris’s hand came in contact with her face. 

And Kris? He didn’t know what made him do it. He also didn’t know why he felt the urge to keep his hand on Jiwon for just a tiny bit longer than he had to. 

Kris placed his hands to his sides when reality kicked in and he realized how weird he must be for placing his hands on Jiwon’s face like that. He scratched his neck and pointed to a random direction. “I’m going to-“

“Yeah. Me too.” Jiwon nodded furiously and ran back to Chanyeol and Luhan.

“I won!” Chanyeol raised his hands up when he saw Jiwon returning. 

“Whatever. It was a stupid game anyways. I’m getting some water.” Luhan, like the sore loser he was, pouted and left.

“You’re face is really red, Jiwon. I guess spicy food isn’t your thing.” Chanyeol said when Jiwon sat down besides him and started to fan her face.

Yeah. Spicy foods. That’s it.


Kris glanced at Jiwon who was fast asleep on the passenger seat of his car. He offered to drive her home and because they have arrived at Jiwon’s building, he should be waking her up right?

Instead, Kris found himself just starring at Jiwon’s face.  Maybe admiring was the better word. Sounds less creepy. Right?

Kris remembered the first time he met Jiwon. He thought she was a model. Sure, she was short. And no, she wasn’t the prettiest girl out there. But there was something very interesting about her face that he just keep wanting to look at. It was an unconventional sort of beauty.

Maybe it was the huge eyes that were a bit too far apart. But most of the time, you wouldn’t notice that she had huge eyes because Jiwon always seemed to have this permanent sleepy face. And she smiled a lot so most of the time, here eyes were in a crescent moon shape. Or maybe it was just that one dimple that showed every time she smiled. Maybe it was her lips that was naturally pouty, looking swollen sometimes. Maybe the slight gap in her teeth that reminded him of a bunny. A cute bunny. Jiwon also had a nose that kind of reminded him of a bunny. 

Yep, Kris had decided. It was definitely the lips. Kris looked focused on the lips and found it a bit of a bother that there was one strand of hair stuck to it. 

Kris reached to get move it again, but once again, his hands were lingering a bit longer than usual.

Jiwon always woke up when she feels a hand on her face because it usually meant that Kai was home. Kai always had a habit of her face whenever she’s asleep. But instead of Kai, she found Kris.

Her heart was beating again and so was his. The same thing happened where there were butterflies in the stomachs and eyes closing in on just the other person.

Sparks was it? There were no excuses this time. No lake. No hiking. No spicy foods. 

It was confirmed. It wasn’t just a spur of the moment thing.


I’ve been getting a lot more subscribers and I read each and every comment and it really helps me in seeing how my story is being perceived. It also inspires me as to what I should do. And I think I should set a couple of things straight in terms of the story

I am sure it’s similar to a lot of story out there, I am sure of it. I read so much of to aff I am probably unconsciously taking similar ideas. But I think that it shouldn’t be read like every other story where there is usually this similar formula of good guy bad guy, y girl… blahhhh (I like those story too though). But then there is this automatic effort in categorizing character B as antagonist because b doesn’t treat A well.  

But I didn’t write anyone to be the antagonist. But that doesn’t mean they can’t be according to how you see. While Kai and Sora have their flaws, they are not inherently bad as characters that would punch an innocent person in spite of jealousy or for fun. There is always a reason behind everything and so I wanted a reason for what they do. And what they do, and how you choose to perceive as good or bad is up to you. But I don’t think the perspective should automatically be that, Kai and Sora are terrible because they are doing bad things. But I don’t think doing bad things always make you a bad person. But that’s just my opinion. And I don't think it's a good story if characters are quickly categorize as A or B. People don't just do bad or good things without a reason 

It’s interesting to see how the consensus would be that Kai and Sora deserve to be unhappy. But the thing with that is… they have been unhappy. That is why they are acting as such because they are so unfamiliar with unhappiness.

While I haven’t decided who should be with whom, it’s ultimately not about the couple and their happy ending. I think love is more than just two people, always. And so it’s not only a story about love, but also about people. And these characters, much like real people will grow and change.