#4 바보냐? Are you stupid?

Reply Country Girl

"Unnie, your man is here again."
"He's not my man. He's my student!" Eunji ruffled Hayoung's messy hair. 

Junmyun arrives at the cashier to order another Macchiato and pays with his credit card like he always does. He then moves to the waiting table and gets his coffee, before sitting down at his corner again. He reads his ridiculous book, learning while waiting for Eunji to teach him. Peak hour slowly passed and there were only 5-6 customers in the cafe. Eunji walked over and pulled a chair to sit down. 

"Today we are going to learn how to expand your voice from your diaphragm. We are going to start with something simple. Okay?" 

Junmyun nodded and Eunji sighed. This is going to be a tough lesson.

"Say okay. Don't just nod. You're so used to nodding, you're not going to speak." Eunji rattled on. 
"O-okay." Junmyun mumbled. Eunji's head hit the table. She was going to be tougher than a bull to stand Junmyun throughout the lesson. 

//

"Breathe in and say a nice and deep hello using the energy from your diaphragm. Feel your diaphragm going up and down." Eunji spoke word by word, trying to practise what she preached to be a good demonstration. Junmyun nodded and tried. 

"H-hello." Junmyun paused to see if he did it right and Eunji just nodded and beckoned him to continue. 

"M-my name is Junmyun. How are you today?" Eunji nodded and smiled. He was getting the hang of it. 

"Peak hour is coming, I'm going to help the young ones and you are going to sit here and practise by yourself. Can you do it?" Junmyun nodded, then whispered a "yes." Eunji facepalmed and walked back to the cashier. 

//

"Unnie, I think your man likes you. Chorong unnie told me that he was staring at you and now he is doing it too! He likes you!" Hayoung pointed at Junmyun, who avoided eye contact immediately. Naeun nodded in agreement. 

"Say one more word about him and I'll deduct your pay!" Eunji threatened. Hayoung and Naeun couldn't help but shut their mouths. As much as they like to tease their senior, it was work time and they don't want their pay to be deducted. 

//

"So how's the progress going?" Eunji asked as she walked past. Junmyun looked up wih desperation in his eyes. Eunji could only managed with a deep sigh. 

"Give me 5 minutes, I'll come around again." 

//

"Let's repeat what we did just now. Introduce yourself." 
"Hello. My name is Junmyun. How are you?" Junmyun was softer than the first time. But he made it to the last word without stuttering this time. 

"Diaphragm! From the diaphragm! Again!" Eunji was getting a little angry. It is just talking, how hard is it?

"Hello. My name is Junmyun. How are you?" It was louder at the start, but it became softer again. 

"Control your diaphragm! DIAPHRAGM!" Eunji shouted. 
"I-I don't have enough energy like y-y-you.." 

"YOUR DIAPHRAGM!!!!" Eunji shrieked in his ears. Junmyun quickly covered his ears. He had to learn how to speak as loud as her. 

"Forget it. You are going to go home and practice till you can say that one sentence confidently and perfectly before you come back again." Eunji stood up from her chair and decided to stop for the day. 

"How much do I have to pay for today's lesson?" 
Junmyun took out his wallet, he spots a 10,000won note and took it out, thinking that it might be enough. 

"I have goosebumps... YOU THINK 10,000WON IS ENOUGH? I'M GOING TO BECOME A WORLD CLASS VOCAL COACH WITH MY VOICE." 

Junmyun then takes out the cheque in his wallet. It was labelled 100,000won. 
"I-i-it was meant for m-my t-t-tuition. You can take it first." Eunji felt like she was talking to an ant. She just took the money and sat down.

"Since this is the amount you are going to give from now on, I shall extend the lesson by a while longer. The cafe can close slightly later, I have the keys today."

"C-c-can we go somewhere else?" Eunji leaned in closer to hear Junmyun. Eunji then realised if she stood exactly 30cm away from Junmyun's face she could hear exactly what he said, but then again it was too close for comfort. They only met each other for 3 times, how could a girl get so close to a boy so fast? 

"I can close the cafe now. It's closing time soon anyway." Eunji tossed the keys of the cafe to Hayoung and Naeun who wanted to help lock up so Eunji could leave first. 

"W-where do you want to go?"
"BUSAN! MY HOMETOWN!" 

Junmyun texted the chauffeur to pick them up to go to the bus terminal. Eunji peeked over Junmyun's shoulder and lauged out loud.

"Are you stupid? The last bus already left, I was kidding! Seoul people really..." Eunji chuckled. Junmyun had this innocent side to him. How cute.

"Let's go to the night market." Junmyun nodded.
 

//

 

For the very first time, Junmyun took the public transport. He was shocked at the amount of self-service. Nevertheless, he pretended that he was not shocked. Eunji laughed at his feeble attempt to pass the turnstile. 

After such trouble, they arrive at Dong Dae Mun night market. The first stall they went to was the rice cake stall. The ahjumma simply served them with quick and hot spicy rice cakes with her hands and a ladle to scoop the rice cake soup. Junmyun scrunched his face when he saw how "hygenic" the stalls were. Plastic bags and bowls were on the floor, alongside with chopsticks and cigarettes. Korea was a clean country, but there will be litter at night markets inevitably.

"JUST EAT IT." Eunji forced the rice cakes into Junmyun's mouth.

"What a cute couple!" The rice cake ahjumma teased.

"WE ARE NOT A COUPLE AHJUMMA!" Eunji dissed at Junmyun for being a lousy friend who didn't know his way even he is the one from Seoul. They then moved on to the next stall. She thinks of me as friend? I thought we only had a teacher-student relationship...? Junmyun blushed a little. 

They ate, or rather Eunji forced Junmyun to eat up the fantastic street foods as they walked down the night market. It was getting late, Eunji was getting tired. 

"We're going to head towards the last stall and you are going to be the one ordering." Junmyun was baffled. He didn't even have the voice to conduct a proper conversation and Eunji expects him to shout past heavy background music to order something?!

They head towards a fried food stall, where Eunji wanted a corn dog. 

"A-ahjussi, could I have a corn dog?" Junmyun barely spoke louder than the volume you use when you're in the library. Eunji tapped her wrist and Junmyun was panicking. He needed to show that he was at least confident of buying something. He did not want to lose a night market friend or a teacher. It was a test and he needed to pass it. 

"AHJUSSI! I WANT A CORN DOG!" Junmyun used all his might to shout his order. He then realised everyone was staring at him. The background music had ended and everyone heard Junmyun's order. 
"You don't need to shout. I can hear you clearly. You idiot." The ahjussi cursed at Junmyun as he served Junmyun, thinking that he was being impolite. Junmyun scratched his neck, and bowed to apologize as he took the corn dog. 

"YAY! CORN DOG! Thanks my friend!" Eunji patted Junmyun's shoulder. 
"I... I should thank you. Tonight was such an eye-opener." Junmyun scratched his neck again, this time out of embarrassment. 
"Are you stupid? How could you have never explored Seoul before? You're from Seoul you stupid. I've been to Seoul shorter than you and I know Dongdaemun better than you. I thought you were just playing around when you said you didn't know where to go. Oh gosh, you really are stupid aren't you. Oh, what a dumb friend I have." Eunji pulled Junmyun into a headlock for fun, making Junmyun cough as she strangled him jokingly. 

Junmyun was beyond bewildered at his position, but he sheepishly laughed. She was right about him not knowing a single bit of Seoul. Being driven around in a limousine with tinted windows, it was hard to see what was around him. He only knew his destination. Nevertheless, he did enjoy today. He learnt a little on how to project his voice, he made a new friend. 

I was right about the boldness. She is so charismatic.
Did we just go on a date? Was that considered a date? I don't even know him that well. But that ahjumma said that we were a couple and I felt shy and nearly nodded to her question.

[Author's note: HELLO to the second phase of junmyun and eunji, making friends. I would probably be writing the story with like a theme as the title and each chapter would be similar to short story? but the storyline will flow definitely! Give me some comments on who do you want to include? Do you guys want flashbacks? In anycase, enjoy the story! ^^]