#3 첫 만남 [First Encounter]

Reply Country Girl

"Hi how can I help you?" 

"I would like a-" Junmyun paused in his words. He looked up and saw a familar face. He couldn't pinpoint exactly who it was, but he knew that he recognises her. 

"Are you...?" Junmyun couldn't name her when he realised he didn't know her name. 

"Am I what? Do you want to order?" Eunji looked up and realised who it was. She sighed and rolled her eyes. The stupid guy with the credit card.

"Oh, it's you. What do you want to order credit card boy?" Eunji asked again. She needed to hurry the order since there was a long queue behind. 

"Uh, I want a Caramel Macchiato." Junmyun mumbled. He was panicking, he hoped he could pay with his credit card this time. He didn't bring enough money and he didn't want to be scolded and lectured by this witch again.

"Okay, that would be 4000 won, paying by credit card right?" Eunji smirked at him. 

"Uh yes." Junmyun heaved a sigh of relief. Being rich has its disadvantages too. You don't always have cash at hand. It's annoying because most of the street stalls don't accept cards and you can't buy anything but the cheap street stalls. 

Eunji finished the transaction and she returned the card back to Junmyun with a receipt. 
"Wait for your receipt number to be called, move to the left please." 

Eunji continued to serve other customers as Junmyun stared at her from the waiting counter. The more Junmyun stared at her, the more he felt like she had this weird hidden charm. She was bold but not scary. She was charismatic in a good way that hooked Junmyun a little. 

"One Caramel Macchiato! Receipt Number 7928!" Namjoo shouted as she placed the cup on the waiting counter. Junmyun picked it up and mumbled a shy "thanks." and walked away to his seat. 

//

"Unnie, don't you think that guy is weird? He could have just said nothing or said a proper word of thanks, but he mumbled. Isn't he weird?" Namjoo was in the resting room, her shift was over and was talking to Eunji who was taking a small break from her shift. 

"Which guy?" Eunji was curious. How could a guy be shy? A guy is supposed to be manly and strong and able to speak with confidence. At that moment, Namjoo pointed at Junmyun and Eunji laughed heartedly. 

"Him? He's like that." Eunji laughed as she spoke, she could not contain her laughter. 
"Unnie you know him?"
"Uh, no. Not really. I just know that he's like that." Eunji stuttered. She couldn't tell Namjoo that she had 2 more other jobs. Namjoo would ask why and everything will just spill out. 

"Unnie... Are you hiding something? Do you know him?" Namjoo persisted. 
"No, it's just that I've... met him somewhere! Yes I did." Eunji tried to avoid. 
"Somewhere? You went on a blind date?" Namjoo joked. 
"Yeah I did. He was quite bad at the dinner date." Eunji joked back but Namjoo took it for real. 
"Of course he would be bad. He's so shy." Namjoo scoffed. 

"Eunij, your break is over!" Bomi shouted. The cafe was getting crowded and Bomi could not handle the long queue. 
"Oya!" Eunji ran out and helped. From the corner of her eyes, she noticed that Junmyun was reading a book while sitting at a corner of the cafe. Such a rich hobby, reading at a cafe.

//

The peak hour was over, the girls could finally take a break. There was much to clear on the tables so Eunji volunteered to clean up. She walked over to Junmyun's table to clear his cup. 

"Can I take the cup?"
"Sorry?"
"I said can I take the cup away? You're done with it right?"
"Uh, could you speak slower? I can't really catch what you're saying." Junmyun was confused over the accent. Living in Seoul for the past 22 years of his life, he did not understand the Busan dialect, especially when Eunji was speaking like a bullet train. 

"I ASKED IF I COULD TAKE THE CUP AWAY." Eunji spoke loudly, word by word. 
"Oh yes, you can. Thank you." Junmyun was back to mumbling again. 
Eunji took the cup away and left. But she saw the front of the book cover, which said "How to project your voice to its maximum." She chuckled. Junmyun wasn't doing a very good job at that. 

She finished clearing the tables and the girls sat at the cashier counter, making small talk. 

"Eunji, you know that guy? Namjoo said you went on a blind date with him. Does he like you? Is that why he's here?" Chorong, the leader of the shift . 
"Kim. Nam. Joo. Are you asking for it?" Eunji pretended to strangle Namjoo. 
"No, I was just telling them how you are going for blind dates at such a young age. You're barely 20. You should enjoy life like Chorong unnie." 
"YA! I'm not enjoying life okay. My mom is screaming at me to find a HUSBAND. A HUSBAND?! I have a job." Chorong whined. 
"Girls, I did not go on a blind date with him okay. I delivered chicken to a baseball team and he was being an idiot when he had to help pay for the meal." 
"Deliver chicken?" Bomi started imitating a chicken. 
"Yeah. I don't have enough money. So I'm working at different places to earn as much as possible. The cafe is giving me quite a lot but it is not enough." 
"Enough for..?" The 3 girls were curious. 
"For..." Should I tell them? They should be okay with not telling, right? 
"Namjoo you must promise you cannot tell my mom. Bomi and Chorong unnie you cannot tell anyone else too okay?" The 3 girls nodded.

"I want to become a vocal trainer, vocal coach. I am attending lessons and it is very expensive. I don't want to ask from my parents so I decided to work harder." Eunji sighed. 
The 3 girls were silent for a moment, then smiled and hugged Eunji. 

"Eunji, that's really cool and something worth chasing. Why the shyness in telling us? But the boy looks pretty cute anyway. He's looking over right now." Chorong pointed at him and he immediately returned to his book. 

"Yeah, I guess he's pretty cute. But he's not my type. I like my manly men! Tony oppa~" Eunji started fantasizing about her favourite idols. 

//

"Excuse me. Can I get another cup of Macchiato?" Junmyun was at the counter. The 3 girls left the counter as fast as lightning, leaving only Eunji and Junmyun. 

"UNNIE! ONE MACCHIATO!" Eunji yelled as she took Junmyun's card to do the transaction. 
"Here's your card. I'll call you when your drink is done. What's your name?"
"M-m-my name? J-J-Junmyun." Junmyun quickly walked away to the waiting counter. 

"Junmyun-ssi! Your Macchiato is done!" Eunji shouted. 
"Thank you Miss... uh what's your name?"
"Eunji. Jung Eunji."
"Thank you Eunji-ssi." Junmyun took the cup and walked back to his corner again. 

//

The cafe was closing, but Junmyun had not left his seat since the second cup of coffee, not even for a toilet break. He was so focused on improving his voice projection. 

"Junmyun-ssi... We are closing." Chorong decided to ask him to leave. They had to close the cafe already. 
"Ah, it's late already. I should be leaving. Sorry." 
"No problem. Thank you for visiting."
"Uh... Is Eunji-ssi still around?" 
"Yeah, she's still here. You're looking for her?"
"Uh..." Junmyun could not finish his sentence and Chorong called for Eunji.

"Unnie you looking for me?"
"Yeah, Junmyun-ssi here is looking for you." With that, Chorong left the two alone. 

"So what do you want?"
"Could you teach me how to project my voice?" Junmyun mumbled. 
"WHAT? Speak up, I can't hear you!"
"Could you, t-t-teach me how to project my v-v-voice?" Junmyun was slightly louder this time and Eunji heard him.
"PROJECT YOUR VOICE?! What absurdity. Don't you know how to shout?" Eunji shouted, showing Junmyun.
"I tried reading the book but it wasn't working."
"You shouldn't read a book. YOU SHOULD TRY IT OUT." Eunji sighed. Looks like rich boy isn't as smart as she thought he would be.

"Come back here every day. I'll teach you how to project your voice. You'll be my first student!" Eunji was excited to become a vocal coach to Junmyun. 
"Oh? That would be nice... Thanks Eunji-ssi. I'll see you tomorrow." Junmyun bowed and quickly left. 

She isn't as mean as I thought she is... Maybe she's a nice girl.

[Author's note: HELLO! First official chapter is here! How's that for the second encounter? (The title is such a lie) Hope you guys like ti! Keep the comments coming please! You guys can even give suggestions to who you want inside the next chapters, maybe I'll add them in if I deem fit! 3 of the APINK girls appeared! Naeun and Hayoung is left! I wonder when they will be added in~ hehe ]

Legend:

Oya = Alright in the Busan dialect (if you watch Reply 1994 you should know)