#21 커밍 아웃 Coming Out

Reply Country Girl

"Bye Eunji!"
"Bye Ji~"
"Bye, good luck!"

Baro and Joonhee sent Eunji off along with Inguk, as they prepared to pack and leave. It was time for them to face the music. They had to tell their parents.

//

A few months ago

Baro and Joonhee were out on a date, as usual, pretending to be best friends rather than lovers. Despite its technological advancements, Seoul was still a conservative society. Needless to say, the countryside barely accepted the idea of gays, lesbians and transgenders. It was under pressure that they decided to put up the false pretence, that Joonhee fought hard within himself to sustain. He was in love, why couldn't he proclaim to the world about his lover? Love holds no barriers, but people do. He reminds himself and resists the urge to hold Baro's hand. Instead, he places his arm around Baro's shoulder, like brothers.

They head into a mall, looking for the theatres to watch the latest installment of the Avengers series. Baro was in love with Iron Man and wanted to watch the newest Avengers to fulfill his interest in the extremely good looking Tony Stark.

"F-father."
Baro paused when the lift doors open. His father was in the lift walking out with a bag of food. Joonhee quickly took his arm off Baro and bowed to the elder.

"Who's this?"
"My friend. I met him on the way back from Seoul."
"Why was his hand on your shoulder?"
"It's just a friendly gesture."
"I don't like it, don't ever do that. What's your name young man?"

Joonhee's existence was finally recognised.

"My name's Joonhee, s-sir." Joonhee never felt so nervous, ever. Was it because of the dark secret that Baro's father has yet to find out? He does not sound like he knows about his son's orientation. He realised that it is probably not the right moment to explain that his son's gay.

"Joonhee. Surname?"
"Kang, s-sir."
"Well Mr. Kang, I am unable to express my thoughts about you as a friend of Baro but I do wish you keep your hands off him. As guys, there is absolutely no need to be touchy. People might perceive differently. Nice meeting you Joon..."
"Joonhee."
"Ah yes. Don't come back too late."
"Yes father."

The elder finally walks off and the duo stared at each other. They knew that this day would come, but not so soon. They decided to watch the movie another day and settled at a cafe. They needed to talk about this.

"So what now? Your father is obviously against this thing."
"Thing? We aren't a thing, we are lovers. We're not objects Hee."
"I know we are lovers, but to everyone else, we are not even a thing. We will be discriminated so badly, as evident from your father. I can't even touch you as a friend. How are you going to tell him that we are actually lovers, that his son is indeed gay?! He's not going to accept it!"
"Hee, please. I'll convince him. You know I love you too much to let you go, but I love my father too."
"You're gonna convince him? How?"
"Let's do it. Today."
"TODAY?! After what just happened?"
"Well, it is the best time since he saw us together already..."
"Baro, you sure? I'm ready anytime, it's okay if you are not ready mentally. I can wait."
"No Hee, we're going to do it today."
"We made a promise to wait, your father is extremely suspicious right now. I don't want to agitate him."
"But, if now's not the time, then when?"
"Let's wait for 3 months. Let him calm down with his extreme emotions and thoughts about you and I. Maybe he'll be more willing to accept us." Joonhee tugged at Baro's sleeves.
Baro stared at Joonhee's glistening eyes, as if tears were about to fall. Baro nodded reluctantly and Joonhee smiled.

//
(Back in present time)

"Father, I'm home. I brought Joonhee home."
"Hello Mr. Cha, I'm Kang Joonhee, again."
"What brings you here? Baro, how many times have I told you not to bring children home. Your mother hates it, she's sick and can't accept visitors. Out he goes. I'm sorry Joon...whatever but you're not welcomed here."
"Father, we have something to tell you."
"I will hear nothing of it! Out he goes!" Mr. Cha seemed to understood the meaning of the arrival of Joonhee. Baro has always been the obedient kid, listening to rules and never ever bends any rules. The arrival of Joonhee is the biggest fault in Baro's life.
"Father, please listen-"
"Maybe I should go..." Joonhee was about to leave when Baro held on to Joonhee's hands.
"Father, Joonhee hyung and I are together."
"OF COURSE YOU ARE TOGETHER, STICKING TOGETHER LIKE GLUE, DISGUSTING. SEPARATE THIS INSTANT."
"No, father. I meant, together, in love. We are in love. We are..." Baro hesitated.
"We are... we are gays, father. I'm coming out of the closet, I want to tell you that."
"What?! WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!"
"Mr. Cha, I'll come by another day, sorry for the disturbance." Joonhee murmured as he turned towards the door.
"YOU STAND RIGHT HERE AND EXPLAIN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY SON! HOW IS MY SON GAY? I'VE RAISED HIM SO WELL. YOU, YOU ARE THE CURSE. GET OUT! OUT!"
"Sorry Mr. Cha, I'll leave now. Sorry..." Joonhee ran out of the house, Baro chasing behind.

Never in his life has Joonhee been treated like that, not even his parents. He felt insulted, ignored all in one day. He didn't realise the ramifications in his life choices, of being gay, till today. He never realised how one could be so against being gay, being different. He was so confused and hurt.

"Hee!"
"I knew it. I knew it. I KNEW IT, we should have never come today. You didn't even tell me there were rules in this, this THING you call relationship. I'm out."
"It's not a thing! My parents are conservative but we are not a thing, we are lovers! I don't care what they say, I love you and it's all that matters okay!"
"It's NOT OKAY. I don't want to ruin your family just because I don't have one."
"Wait, Hee what?"
"I don't have a proper family!"
"What, what do you even mean? You have presents don't you?"
"My family's dysfunctional, you have a family. A family like yours, you should treasure and keep. You shouldn't turn your back on them."

At this point, Joonhee could not keep in his tears any longer. As emotional as he can be, he broke down. He was not ready for such a huge revelation, the revelation that he and Baro could possibly break up right now. He knows, now, that he can never be with Baro, with such a father. He is not a follower, never obeying rules. He can never be with Baro's family. He will never allow the separation of Baro from his parents, the only way is, to let Baro go. He knows he's going to cry so hard, because he has never loved someone so hard, not even Inguk. He was so damned sure Baro was the one, the chemistry they have, their communication required no more than 3 words, but eye contact and body language.

"Hee, what do you mean dysfunctional?"
"I... I don't have a family."
"You're not an orphan are you?"

Joonhee barely smiled at Baro's innocence.

"I consider my parents to be long dead, they don't do anything. They stay at home and do nothing. I earn the money, I feed them, but they only buy beer and cigarettes. That's why I don't ever invite you to my house even though I could have. I know it's been long since we've dated and I never told you once about this, because it's ugly and I only want you to see the best side of me. I'm sorry and if you want to leave me it's okay. I, understand. I know it's tough handling your father, but I don't want to separate you from the family that loves you and helps you in their way. I don't think it's fair for me to break someone's family just because mine's broken."

Baro's tears welled up and was about to drop as Joonhee wiped Baro's eyes and gave him one last hug.
"Goodbye Baro. Thank you for the past. Return to your family, they need you. I'm... Sorry."

Joonhee turns his back against Baro and walks away, leaving Baro and his tears. Joonhee prevents himself from turning behind even though Baro was yelling his name. He wiped his own tears away and walked forward. He cannot turn back. Baro knelt down in the middle of the alley, as he cried yelling for Joonhee, but everything was too late.

//

A few months later

Baro stares at his phone screen, fiddling with his lock button as he impatiently waited for class to end. It was exactly 2 months after Joonhee left, they lost contact after Joonhee supposedly changed his phone. Baro returned to being an obedient freshman under Busan University while Joonhee moved on to getting a job as a kindergarten teacher, but Baro did not know that Joonhee was always so close to him as the kindergarten is next to Baro's house.

Joonhee would peek over when Baro reaches home, to ensure that Baro would not see him when he leaves the kindergarten. 2 months then past, with the star-crossed lovers always on the same path but never at the same time.

Baro then tried to find Joonhee at his house, where they started their relationship. He wanted them together again, but Joonhee never was at home when Baro went over. Joonhee knew that Baro would be around so he would hide at Yoojung's house, making Yoojung lie when Baro comes around. Joonhee tried to evade Baro as much as possible, but fate is inevitable.

Joonhee reached the corner of the lane where Baro's house and the kindergarten. After ensuring that Baro left, Joonhee walked over to the kindergarten and was about to open the door when he hears panting. He turns and sees Baro running back to his house. Joonhee tried to hide and run into the kindergarten when Baro spotted him.

"Hee..."
"No, you've got the wrong person." Joonhee quickly answered and entered the kindergarten.
"Hee! Please!" Baro ran over to the kindergarten's gates.
"You've got... the wrong person!" Joonhee turned his back from Baro, walking into the classrooms with tears falling down his cheeks.
Kang Joonhee, don't be such a weak wimp. You've been through worse. But why does it hurt so bad? Stop Joonhee, the kids are going to come soon and you don't want them to see an ugly and swollen Kang Joonhee. But my heart, my tears can't stop. Don't turn around.
"Hee! I know it's you. Please don't turn your back on me again. Please. I need to talk to you. Please."
Joonhee paused in his steps. No Joonhee, you're already at the door. Just close the door. But, he's waiting for you. He has something to say. Just close the damned door, you don't love... him... damn it. Joonhee turned around and walked towards the gates. His heart could no longer take it, he had been missing Baro so much. He  always knew Baro was the one and they never thought of breaking up.

Joonhee walked faster and faster, switching into the run, crashing into the gates just to caress Baro's face and kiss him. He couldn't care who came right now, he missed him for so long that no one can stop them. Baro returned the kiss with a smile that deepened Joonhee's kiss. They parted and stared into each other's eyes, Joonhee's filled with remorse and darkness while Baro's filled with desperation and yearning.

"What is it that you're going to tell me?"
"I don't care what my father says. I've made up my mind. My parents have controlled me for the past 20 years, it's time for me to talk for myself. I love you Kang Joonhee and regardless of age, race, discrimination I will love you all the same. I left my home, my luggage's at Yoojung's house already. I'm never going back to the hellhole ever again. I've been too pampered and I still am, by you, and that's the difference. Don't ever leave me again. We'll live together, love together. Please Hee, say okay."

Baro's desperate eyes yelled into Joonhee's as crystal-like tears welled up and fell. Joonhee's hand wiped away his tears.

"But your parents... Don't end up like me." Joonhee remembered Mr Cha. He knew how devastated Mr Cha would be.

"It doesn't matter anymore. I love you, no one can obstruct that."
"He is relying on you, don't you see it? Don't force your father to become like mine."
"He doesn't need me. He needs a robot that he can order around, like my mother when my mother was still healthy. He does not need me. Just let them feel like their son is on a long vacation."
"Baro... Don't do this."
"I have made up my mind. Hee, say yes. We'll live on our own."
"Baro...I-" Joonhee felt Baro's lips pressed against his. He closed his eyes, enjoying the taste of Baro's moist lips as he returned the kiss. He missed their daily pecks on the cheeks, their kisses. He missed his smile, and above all, he missed him. His fragrance, his mushroom-like bowl cut hair, his strong thighs that allowed him to run like horses. He missed every single part of Baro. With that kiss, he could not resist anymore. He wanted, no he needed Baro in his life. No more will he bother about the stares of others, the rejection by others, the confontations he might face. He knows he loves Baro and it's all that matters. 

"Yes." 
Yes?!"
"Yes."

 

[Author's note: Hey guys, here's finally the end of the story. Thank you to all 62 subscribers, the votes, the views, the comments. Thank you for reading this mini spin-off too! I love you guys! I'll be going on a hiatus till November 12, until then, please support my other fics too! ^^ 
I love each and every one of you (hearts for all) heehee Good luck to me and my national exams! I hope you enjoyed this 20 chapter story and spin-off! Till next time everyone! xoxo]