Oblivion

Collide

Staring through the car window, I inhaled deeply as I came back to a place I swore to myself I wouldn’t be coming back, even if my life depended on it. Guess business are business, so I have to swallow my pride and come back here, after all that mess, after all those tears, that drama.

“Chaerin, we’re here” Dara said waking me up from my train of thoughts. I smiled coldly and nodded. She went out first, and then I followed her. We entered through the luxurious doors of the hotel we’ll be staying for the next… who knows how long.

“Welcome to Park Hyatt Seoul Hotel, may you please give me your names?” The attendant said. Dara smiled and handed her some golden card. The attendant widened her eyes and looked at us.

“You’re finally here, come” She said and walked out of the counter. I looked at Dara and she winked at me.

“They said we were some rich girls something, I don’t know the whole façade, they’ll tell us the details later at the suite” She said and we both walked with the attendant.

We reached the 24th floor and she walked us towards our room, presidential suite to be exact.

“Presidential suite? They want us happy” I said scanning the room. Dara shrugged and put her purse down on a crystal table.

“Exactly what I wanted” She said with sarcasm walking towards the living room of the suite, grabbing a tablet on the coffee table. She turned it on and put if back down, showing a hologram on it.

“Welcome to your new home girls, I hope you had a nice flight” Our boss, Jang Hyunseung said on the hologram. We both stood in front of the hologram and nodded.

“Yes, we can’t complain, was long, but as usual, really comfortable and the people were nice” Dara said smiling. Hyunseung nodded and looked at me.

“Chaerin, you’re expected at the YG building tomorrow night to meet with the director and your victim, Yang Hyun Suk, I expect no mistakes and a clean job” He said with a firm voice.

“What’s the façade?” I asked. He smirked.

“As cunning as ever my dear Chaerin, you’re supposed to be the daughter of Lee Kwang Hoon, CEO of the Conglomerate CJ. They own almost everything you can imagine, including CJ Entertainments.” He said.

“A Chaebol daughter, couldn’t you be more imaginative?” I said. He laughed.

“There’s no other way to infiltrate you into YG, is that or becoming a trainee, I think it’s more alluring and more appealing to be a chaebol daughter” He told me. I nodded and crossed my arms.

“So, the main idea is to make a proposal of joining companies?” Dara asked.

“Certainly my dear, they can’t refuse, so they’ll be inviting you both to their parties and stuffs, that’s where you girls will get close to them, then boom, we get everything and clear everything” He finally said. We both nodded and looked at the hologram.

“Goodnight Hyunseung” I said shutting it off. Dara widened her eyes and looked at me terrified.

“You absolutely can’t do that!” She said. I smirked and sat on the sofa.

“I just did” I said and rested my head on the chair. “We need to go shopping, let’s go” I said and stood up, grabbing Dara by her arm.

“CL, we need to get ready for tomorrow!” She said. I smiled and nodded.

“That’s why we’re going shopping; we can’t pretend to be chaebol daughters dressed like cashiers!” I said and she gave in, I was right after all.

 

As we both walked through the mall, buying every expensive clothes we could find, I spotted a familiar yet unknown silhouette following us. I looked around and saw no one so I grabbed a mirror and pretended I was looking at myself so I could have a better view of my back.

Those eyes, a pair of eyes that seem so long forgotten came back from the shadows of the past, indeed, what a moment, it was almost too obvious to find those here, but the thought slipped my mind like some leaves falling from the trees.

I looked around for Dara, who was too busy choosing which lip-gloss would match her face. I scoffed and walked mindlessly away, trying to reach the hidden memory that was now so desperately climbing out from the darkest hole of oblivion, where he sure was living his life fairly, away from my conscious and living thoughts.

As I walked around trying to find him, a familiar pain grew in my heart, like if his presence could revive every bit of pain on me, every obscure feeling of wanting to end this life and start another one far from here.

“Fancy meeting you here Chaerin” his voice rang through my ears, again, like some metals hitting each other, leaving me almost deft.

“Hello” I slowly spoke as I turned around, my hands sweating and my heart beating uncontrollably, expecting to see the face which tortured me every night, every day, every moment.

“Wow, so beautiful, like always” He said walking towards me. I gulped down a fistful of saliva and looked down, slowly recovering from the shock of finding him here, right at this moment, just when I thought everything was buried far from me.

“And you…” I said. He smiled and nodded.

“It’s been so many years, I can barely recognize you Chaerin” He said, slowly caressing my face. I smiled and took a step back, trying to make an invisible barrier between us.

“So, what are you doing for a living now?” I said, he opened his arms and smiled.

“I’m an idol now, can’t you recognize me?” He asked. I scoffed and crossed my arms. No, I avoided, for more than 5 years, everything related to the Korean culture and trend, including music, television, holidays, everything.

“No Seunghyun, I can’t say I do” I said. He nodded and looked to the back of the store, signaling me to see one big poster next to some male clothes.

“It’s Seungri now, and I’m quite famous you know” He said. I looked at the picture, 5 handsome guys posing with some fashion and trendy clothes, one of them being Seunghyun.

“Wow, you achieved your goal” I said, he chuckled and nodded.

“And, are you still working at that company?” He said. I widened my eyes and looked at him. I’ve been hoping, for all these years that he had forgotten everything about the company, and even more, that he didn’t asked about it.

“No, I got fired after that incident” I lied. He nodded and smiled.

“I haven’t forgotten about you Chaerin” He said. I scoffed and looked at him with the coldest look I could pull off.

“Well too bad, I already did” I said and walked away, catching up with Dara who was, fortunately, walking towards the exit.

“Where were you?” Dara asked. I smiled and shrugged.

“Walking around, looking at some trashy clothes” I said and looked back, staring deeply at Seunghyun, who was looking at me with a devastated look on his face. Maybe, just maybe, in another planet, or another era, we could’ve be together, but not on this planet, not at this moment, not now, not ever. And, as much as my heart aches when I think about it, we were never meant to be, never.