Bizarre Night

Collide

There was a sudden calm, like the feeling you get when there’s a storm coming and everyone’s getting ready for the disaster, but you just can’t seem to see when it’s coming. Chaerin felt that way, looking through the window of her car as James drove away from the company. It was silent, none of them talked, none of them thought, it was all a blankness that surrounded them completely. Chaerin knew all too well what all of this meant, it was the calm before the storm, before the disaster.

“Do you have any music here?” James asked as he stopped in a red light. Chaerin slowly looked at her radio, her hands limply put on her lap as she nodded slightly. James took a deep breath and looked at her, his eyes looked comforting, like he knew everything she felt, yet he knew they had to do it. “Don’t push yourself on that cliff honey, you’ll just hurt yourself.” He said.

“What are you talking about?” She asked with a slight rude tone to her voice. He chuckled and put the car on drive, the light turned green.

“Be honest with yourself, and for once, just once, tell me how you really feel.” He said. She looked at him with a disgusted face and crossed her arms.

“Why should I?” She said. He laughed inwardly and made a turn to the right. He was driving out of town, Chaerin could tell.

“Faith, I wasn’t the one who left you to begin with, why are you so mad at me?” He asked with an apologetic tone.

“I hate you, I hate the fact that you call me Faith, or… ugh I just don’t want to be here.” She said, and with that, he stopped the car, they were in a road through some woods, there was no one around.

“How do you want me to call you then? Chaerin? Didn’t you said you hated everything about Korean culture? Didn’t you once told me to never call you by your Korean name? And why do you hate me? I wasn’t the one who put you through this, in fact, I would’ve forbid you to ever go into that place, I… loved you, so much, yet you pretended to be free, and in the end, I just ended up losing the most important person in the world for me, and now she tells me she hates me. I should be the one hating you, and yet here I am, trying to save you.” He said, his eyes wet from forming tears, his hair pushed to the side and his veins popped.

“I… You what?” She asked while processing all the new information that was spilled in front of her.

“I loved you.” He said again. She let out a breathless laugh, like the kind of laugh you do when you’re so surprise yet shocked.

“I can’t believe this…” She said and opened the door, exiting the car. James cursed and got out of the car, running after her.

“Why can’t you? Just wait Faith, wait-“

“My name is Chaerin.” She said as she slapped him hard. He grabbed his cheek and looked at her bewildered. “And don’t think that just because you told me you loved me, everything will change, you… you !” She said.

“So this is about that, huh? Get over it, and get back into the car, we need to go.” He said, now a slight sarcasm on his voice.

“About what?” She asked daringly.

“About my list of girlfriends, is that why you hate me?” He said and she laughed without humor.

“Please James, don’t feel so important,” She said crossing her arms.

“Alright, I won’t, please get back in the car.” He said signaling the car, his cheek swelling from her slap.

“Ok, I will, but this isn’t over.” She said walking back to the car, but instead of sitting on the passenger’s seat, she sat on the back.

“Is that really necessary?” He asked as he sat on the driver’s seat. She crossed her arms and leg, and then looked to the side.

“Totally.” She said, without any intention of continuing their talk.

“Fine then, suit yourself.” He said and started the engine, driving fast from that place.

James drove fast through the woods, and after an hour or so, finally made a stop in front of some black gates. Chaerin looked to the front, unable to see much of the place, it was dark since it was nighttime, so it was somewhat impossible to see, only the black gates and the road that led into the darkness.

“We’re here.” James said and got out of the car. Chaerin looked at him as he opened the gates, and walked back to the car. He was smiling as he did, and she frowned at him.

“Why are you smiling? Where are we?” She said and he drove slowly into the gates,

“You’ll see.” He said and got out of the car again to close the gates. Chaerin looked to the front, only some trees were visible through the darkness. She saw James getting back on the car and drove to the front. It was a long road, probably like a minute or two of driving. He finally stopped in front of a well lit house. It was some sort of a three story old villa. She widened her eyes as she saw the mansion in front of her. It was some sort of peach color, but of course, that was because of the lights, maybe it was white, or yellow, she couldn’t quite tell.

James parked the car in front of the big stairs of the house and smiled at her widely, “Are you going out or what?” He said and she nodded, opening her door and slowly going out of her car. almost fell open as she took in the old fashioned mansion in front of her.

“What’s this?” She said as he led her to the stairs.

“Welcome to the Bower Mansion, my parent’s old house.” He said as he opened the huge dark mahogany doors, leading to a reception area which had old fashioned furniture. There were dark mahogany tables on each side of the door with some lit candelabras on it. In front of the reception, there were two spiral staircases that led to the second and third floor. On each side of the reception were doors, old fashioned doors. James walked her into the center of the reception area, to which was a lower level than the rest of the house, for it had two steps of stairs making a square, where two black sofas were.

“It’s old fashioned, built on the 1854, but it’s steady, and since it’s a private villa, it will be the perfect hiding place for you.” James said and Chaerin crossed her arms.

“So you’re telling me you’re holding me hostage on Dracula’s castle? That’s creative.” She said sitting on one of the black sofas. James laughed and grabbed her hand, standing her up.

“I believe you might want to know where your room is, follow me.” He said and led her to one of the spiral stairs to the second floor. She followed suit, not speaking another word. He walked her towards a long aisle full of dark mahogany doors and stopped in front of one and opened it. He bowed slightly and gesture her to go in first, she did smiling at his courtesy. “You like it?” He asked as he eyed her checking the room out.

It was no less old fashioned than the rest of the house, a mahogany king sized bed, an old mahogany vanity and a huge wardrobe in the wall between two mahogany old doors. She walked to the center of it and looked around, it was a big room, like her room at the hotel, but it was decorated with curtains of different colors, giving a morocco fashion feeling. She smiled and looked at James, her eyes bright with excitement.

“I think it’s perfect.” She said and he smiled nodding.

“Great, you have your own bathroom, it’s right here.” He said opening a door next to the vanity, she looked at it and saw a quite modern bathroom, all white and black, big with both a shower and a tub. “So you’ll feel like home.” He said smiling. She scoffed and entered the room-sized bathroom.

“You’re kidding me? This bathroom it’s the size of my bedroom back in the States.” She said admiring the aged decorations on the walls.

“Well, then I hope you feel welcome enough to enjoy your stay.” He said. She looked at him with a serious expression.

“How long will that stay be?” She said and he shrugged.

“Not too long, just let me get rid of that Hyunseung guy and you’re free to go, though I wish you didn’t.” He said. Chaerin widened her eyes and shook her head.

“No, I won’t let you get rid of him on your own, let me help you.” She said and James shook his head no.

“No, you’ll be safe here, don’t worry.”

“James! I can deal with it, I’m strong, I’m capable of killing a person, I’ve killed before, it’s not something that its new to me. Let me help you.” She said and he closed his eyes, biting his inner cheeks.

“I can’t let anything happen to you…” He whispered. She smiled and walked towards him and put her right hand on his cheek, caressing it a bit.

“I’ll be fine, just… just give me some weapons and I’m good.” She said. He thought for a moment, then grabbed her hand and put it away from his face, but still held on to it.

“Tomorrow, tomorrow we’ll talk, rest now.” He said and walked towards the door, opening it. “I’m just two doors down, if you need anything. Also, there are servants all around the place, just use the intercom there and call them if you need anything.” He said and walked out of the room. Chaerin followed him and he stood in front of the door. “Good night Chaerin.” He said and she smiled.

“Good night James.” She said and he nodded then left. Chaerin closed the door slowly and rested her back on it, sliding slowly until she hit the floor, her back resting slightly on the wooden door, her eyes closed and her hands balled into fists. She inhaled deeply, her finger nails slowly digging on the flesh of her palms as she used all her strength to vent her anger, somewhat in a silent protest of her much oblige captivity.

When she felt every urge of killing within her fade, she slowly stood up, her hands bleeding, and walked towards the bed, not minding her bloody hands staining the sheets, and rested her back on it. She felt like crying, like screaming, like punching walls and running away, but her body was tired, more than she had ever imagined it would feel like, and her eyes were slowly closing, making every effort in keeping them opened futile. As she was slowly drifting into sleep, her phone rang somewhere in the room, and she almost couldn’t force herself to open her eyes and look around. She almost forgot she had her phone with her, strapped on her little belt on her thigh. She quickly pulled her dress up, showing the white skin of her inner thighs, and grabbed her phone. With only one eye open, she looked at the screen, and her heart almost stopped beating as she saw who was calling her. She quickly slid the screen and answered the phone, heart beating fast.

“Hello? Jiyong?” She said, her voice groggy and tired.

“Where are you right now?” His voice sounded desperate, angry and disappointed, all at the same time, if that was even possible.

“I’m ok, how are you?” She said, ignoring his question.

“There are too many words for describing how am I, so I’ll say I’m good. Where are you?” He asked again. She inhaled deeply and sat up, her hands starting to sting.

“It’s complicated.” She simply said. She could hear him breathing hard on the other line, and she remained silent until he spoke again, his voice sounding angrier than it had before.

“Are you with him right now?” He hissed. She almost laughed, and shook her head, as if he could see her.

“No, no I’m not.” She said, after all, it wasn’t a lie; she was indeed alone in her room, even if he, who obviously was James, was two rooms away from her.

“Where is he?” he said again, Jiyong was cunning, Chaerin thought, too cunning for her own good.

“At his room,” She said, at this point it was useless to lie.

 “I’ll come and pick you up.” He said dismissively and Chaerin almost had to scream to stop him.

“No, Jiyong, don’t come. I’m alright, really. It will be only for a few days, I’ll be fine, I promise.” She spoke as calmly as she could manage.

“Let me see if I get this. Suddenly your long lost love comes into screen and you suddenly feel the urge to go and spend the night with him? What am I exactly supposed to feel like, knowing you’re spending the night with him?” He spoke, his politeness and tenderness replaced by a cunning, straightforward voice.

“I never said he was a long lost love, I just told you he was the only friend I had. I never said I loved him. You’re just assuming, and you’re wrong.” Chaerin said, her tired voice sounding mad.

“Well, it’s unnatural for two people, male and female, to not fall in love, and how you spoke about him, it was just obvious.” He said. She scoffed and rested her back on the pillows.

“You’re just jealous I’m not at your bed right now.” She said, and heard a low growl on the line.

“At my bed? Tell me Lee Chaerin, are you sure he’s at his bedroom? Because I never spoke anything about beds, not even that I was jealous, why you inquire I’m jealous? Can’t you just think I’m simply worried? Friendly Worried? Don’t get the wrong idea young lady; I’m not so easy to please.” He spoke, and as he said those words, something within Chaerin feel, like if something was hanging with thin lines and his sharp words cut it, making it fall deep within her.

“There’s no need to be such an , and yes, I wouldn’t even think of pleasing you, I’m not your personal .” She hissed.

“ baby, I’m sorry. I’m just… I’m going crazy not knowing where you are, and… !” He said and then she heard something shattering on the background.

“Jiyong, go to sleep, take a bath and go to sleep, we’ll talk in the morning, you’re tired, and everything must be confusing, with the amounts of alcohol you consumed, I’m sure you’re not thinking straight.” Chaerin said calmly.

“No, I’m used to this; I’m not drunk I’m alright. It’s just… ing annoying, how you make me feel. What the have you done to me Lee Chaerin?” He said, his voice bizarrely calm, considering he was raging a few seconds ago.

“Nothing, I haven’t done nothing. In fact, I wasn’t even serious with you…” She said, every cell on her body hitting her skin as she said that, but had a free will.

“Maybe that’s the reason I’m so crazy about you. Your uncaring nature makes me love you, makes me want you…” He said then stopped, and so did Chaerin’s heart.

“Go to sleep Jiyong, it’s late, and I’m tired.” She said and was about to move the phone from her ear when he spoke again.

“Wait! Don’t hung up yet, at least tell me where you are so I can rest.” He said again and Chaerin smiled weakly.

“Far from where you are,” She said and hung up, not letting him talk again. She put the phone on her chest and took a deep breath. Her night was just becoming more and more interesting, but her brain was too tired to even think about it, it screamed SLEEP in all caps, and she was gladly going to give it what it wanted.