Chapter 9

A Love That Never Alters

 

 

Hyosung was doing her usual morning run, and as always she would stop by the park. The cool crisp morning air made her shiver to her spine, but she loved it. She realized that she kept running out of breath quite often these days, and occasionally she’ll feel the prick in her chest. She mentally made note to go and have a complete check up with Dr. Tang soon.

 

Hyosung paused and inhaled deep when she arrived at the park. The snow was thinning, but still covered the whole area with white. She gazed around, and spot not even a single soul there. This park is all mine, booyeah! She was wearing her usual pink jogging attire, only a little bit thicker due to the cold, with her hair tied in ponytail and her bangs resting nicely against her forehead. She felt odd without her GumWang, her pink muffer, which she usually wraps around her neck at times like this.

 

Sighing, she started to walk towards the secret spot. Walking past the thick bushes, she noticed there were foot imprints on the snow. Oh, what’s this? She thought curiously as she traced it slowly, which lead her to the big tree when she saw a glimpse of someone behind it. Oh! Who's there ...?!

 

Her heart started to thump louder when she heard another rustle behind the tree. Picking up whatever that’s on the ground, which turned out to be a tiny twig, she braved herself forward while holding it as her weapon of choice.

 

“Who … who’s there?” She finally picked up the courage to voice out. Bolding herself up, she raised her voice louder. “You better come out before I give you a round-house kick! I .. I know taekwando!”

 

She waited a while longer, but it seemed like her threat wasn’t working. Aish, jinja. Who the heck is behind that tree? Fearing that something bad would happen, she backed away to make a run for it when the person slowly emerged. She squinted her eyes to see who it was, and gasped out loud. No ... it couldn’t be... could it?

 

“An … anyeong, Hyosung-shi,” She could hear him stammering, as he step out from behind the tree. There, Kikwang stood awkwardly, with his hand in his hair, and look at Hyosung full with uncertainty. Oh god, it's him ...

 

“Y-you ...” Hyosung stammered as well, unsure on what to reply to him. She could feel all sorts of emotion rushing inside her head making her a little dizzy. She was breathing fast now, as she could feel tear pricked her eyes. Aniyo! Don't you dare cry, Hyosung! She mentally screamed. She was trembling with fist clenched and she could hardly believe the action she did next – she went up to him and slapped him hard, causing his head snap sharply to his side.  When it finally registered in her head, she gasped hard and looked him in the eyes, horrified. What did I just ... do?

 

“Ah ... I guess I deserved that...” Kikwang chuckled awkwardly, rubbing his reddened cheek, clearly surprised with her action.

 

“A ... aniyo! Mianhe! I ... I didn’t mean to do that! Ottoke? Does it hurt? I’m so sorry!” She could feel all her anger sipping out, replaced with concern. Without realizing, Hyosung held his cheek and rubbed it softly with her shaken expression. “Apa? I’m so sorry!”

 

Kikwang couldn't utter a word as he was surprised at her action. She was rubbing his cheek with utter tenderness, as if to throw away the throbbing pain, which he could barely feel now as he savoured it. Hyosung quickly withdrew her hand when she realized what she was doing, and she could feel the blood rushing to her cheek as she bowed her head. “Ah … mianhe. Didn’t mean to do that …” he words came out as a whisper as she step one foot back away from him.

 

“N-No. It’s okay, really.” Kikwang managed to reply, still dazed from her touch and her closeness. Ah, I miss her touch. They both stood awkwardly in silence for another seconds, staring elsewhere except each other. Hyosung bit her lower lip, with one hand rubbing her neck. She always did that when she’s nervous, and boy, she thought her heart will fell off her ribs anytime soon if it continues to beat this fast.

 

“So …”

“So …”

“Ah …”

“Ah …”

 

Staring into each other eyes, both of them were trying to start the conversation at once. A smile broke upon both faces, and they chuckled.

 

“You go first,” she finally said.

 

“Ani, you first,” Kikwang politely reply, not realizing how wide his smile was now. Goodness, I could die happy now, he thought in his head.

 

“Same old modest you, eh?” Hyosung smiled awkwardly, eyeing Kikwang as he smiled at her. Is he taller now? She thought as she had to tilt her head up to look at him as she continued on. “So, uhm, what are you doing here? I mean, I didn’t expect to see you here … again.”

 

“Ah … I was jogging, and I didn’t realized how I ended up here. Yeap,” Kikwang could sense hurt in her voice, which he tried his best to conceal his either. She don’t want me here, is that it … ? He thought sadly. He deserved it anyway, for what he did to her. He was about to say more before she suddenly gasped.

 

“Ah! My Gumwang!” Hyosung exclaimed excitedly with open, pointing to the muffler wrapped around his neck. He looked down at it, the muffler he made for her, unwrap it from his neck and gave it to her. She took it happily, hugging it tightly while doing her happy dance of jumping up and down. He felt like hugging her close, seeing how cute she acted right now. Kikwang really felt like his heart could burst from happiness that moment, getting to see her and everything, and he chuckled silently while watching her.

 

“Oh, where did you find it? I’ve been looking it for ages!” Hyosung finally snapped out of her world, and tilt her head questioningly at Kikwang.

 

“I-I-I found it when I was jogging the other day. Yeah, I found it. Heheh.” He stammered, caught off guard from the question. He found it in his car actually, right after he sent her to the hospital a week ago. He wondered how she’s doing now, and was tempted to ask before stopping at the thought. Pabo, she’ll know you’re stalking her! “I’m glad you still keep it,” he said finally, a surge of happiness rush into him at the thought.

 

Hyosung nodded in acknowledgement as she could feel her cheek burning, not asking any further questions. The awkward moment passed by without them knowing it, and they were already talking to each other like best friends. Asking each other well being, while they continued their morning jog side by side, as if there was no bitterness between them. Hyosung missed this moment, the time they used to spend together, and this felt like a dream. She stole sideway glance at Kikwang, and she could feel her heart filled up with utter happiness that it could blow up any time now. Is this a dream? Goodness, I don’t care. Eon neomu haengbog haeyo! (I’m so happy!)

 

They lost track of time, like they always did when they got together, when Hyosung suddenly gasped. “Ah! Ottoke! I’m late!” as she look at her watch which was already pointing to ten. “I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m dead! Ah, Kikwang. I got to go now. See you later!” With that she ran off, before she was stopped short when Kikwang's hand caught her wrist, causing her to whirl around and almost bumping into him.

 

“Mianhe. But, eodi ga (where are you going)?” Kikwang asked, still holding on to her wrist without realizing it. His touch sent a warm tingling feeling inside her.

 

“I have schedule today! I’m sorry! Bye!” She blushed at the contact and then turned her back when Kikwang tugged at her hand, again.

 

“Oh! Jam kahn mahn yo (Wait), jebal. Erm, can I have your phone number at least before you go? I bet you already got your phone back, right? Please?” He replied, with hope in his eyes. He wasn’t going to budge before she leave him here without her phone number.

 

“Ah. Y-Yeah. Okay, here you go,” as she gave him her phone number without thinking any further, she felt butterflies in her tummy. Is he for real? She waved him goodbye, and ran off to her destination. She gave him one last look, and he caught her staring back so he smiled. Aigo, why are you doing this to me, Kikwang-ah?

 

He watched her disappearing figure in the distance, and stood there a moment longer. He had this silly smile pasted on his face. I touched her! OMG! He was jumping around like a school boy who just got his candy, and he look down at his hands then kissed it. Smiling at the thought of her talking to him just now, make him even giddier. He dance around, jumping here and there, singing B2ST upcoming song I Like You The Best and jogged back to the dorm. He didn’t even care when some ahjummas gave him the weird look, all he know was that he’s extremely happy he could die now and go to heaven.

 

From afar, a figure watched him in anguish. Joon sighed, and kicked at the snow. He was hoping to bump into Hyosung that morning, knowing her jogging schedule, only to have his heart crushed later. What is that guy doing there! He always ruin everything that I planned! Ahrgh! Please don’t let them get together again … Hyosung is mine. MINE. He thought angrily as he made his way back to his dorm, kicking the snow again with all his might.

 

She’s mine!

 

 



 

 

Pardon my grammartical error, my friends. I just realized how horrible my English is.

*facepalm. T___T

 

So, what do you guys think? Too soon?

Hehe.