To join or not to join?

The 4 elements that make up love

Kacie's POV

Oh my god.

Oh my freaking god.

That was spirit water! How did it not work?! I am freaking out right now! What do I do?! 

"No! He can't be dead! Isn't there any thing else you can do! Do you have any spirit water?" Aki asks, paling significantly.

...Uh...How the hell do I respond to that?! "umm... You see... Once someone's dead,,, they can't be brought back alive..." 

"Avatar Aang did." 

"Well...he was the avatar..." 

"So? My brother was special. He was a double bender!"

A what? 

"A double bender? How is that possible?" Hansol asks, looking as confused as I feel.

"My dad was an Airbender and my mum was a firebender... He's both... I'm only air."

"You're an Airbender? There haven't been any in republic city since the earth kingdom attacked!"

"Yeah...but what about my brother? Aren't there any spirit benders who can heal him?" 

What is this girl on about!

"Uh.. Spirit benders? 

"Yeah... Haven't you heard of spirit benders? They're everywhere!" 

"No. I'm afraid I haven't..."

"Oh well umm..."

"Look Aki," I say, trying to make her understand. "Your brother can't be saved. He's in the spirit world now"

She starts crying. 

"We're sorry but he's gone. He's not coming back." Hansol says, looking uncomfortable.

"But he can't just leave me! He said he'd always be there! Protecting me! He was my big brother and..." But she doesn't finish her sentence. She breaks down into tears and starts sobbing over his body. 

"Who do I go to now?! I'm the only Airbender left in republic city! I'm alone and I'm only 14!"

I gather Hansol and Mingming, standing away from her and her brother. "Guys, we should let her join us, she sound pretty nice and she's all alone now... Please? I need a friend in the group!"

"Hey! We're your friends!" Mingming retorts, pulling a face. I scowl at him.

"I know but Hansols my boyfriend and you're my cousin so..."

"Still..."

"Please!"

They look at each other before Hansol sighes, nodding at me.

"Fine."

I walk back over to Aki, placing my hand on her shoulder. She looks at me, wiping her tears away.

"We talked over it and we decided you can join us!"

"yay! You guys are my favourite team!"  But what's gonna happen now... What do I tell my parents"

"where are your parents?"

"I don't know... They said that when the time is right they'd come find me and my brother..." She starts crying again. A few moments later, her brother's body is taken away from her, a white cloth hiding him. She tries hard to hold back her tears but they fall gently down her cheeks.

"You'll be safe now..." I whisper. "I promise."

Hansol wraps an arm around me and Mingming stands behind me as I hold out my hand to her. She takes it.

And we all walk towards the sunset as a team.

No. As a family.