Laughter is a Strange Sound [revised]

TaeKook - How Do You Feel?

Jungkook's POV

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Oh.." I simply replied. I didn't want to pry anymore for fear of him getting emotional.

I got really uncomfortable when people got that way around me. It's not that it made me feel sad; I usually felt nothing.

He walked away, silently and sat on the couch so, I followed and sat next to him. He sighed and pivoted his head around the room, searching for something. I stared at the small, square, ancient-looking box television in front of us. It had one of those old metal antennae sitting on top of it. The screen looked dusty and reflected the tiny christmas lights that adorned the walls, around us.

I flinched when Taehyung suddenly bent his torso over my lap. I looked towards his head and realized he was reaching for the remote that was logded in the cushion beside me. He quickly pulled back and said "Sorry.", not making eye contact.

I wondered why he didn't just ask me to grab it but I didn't really care. He switched the tv on and started flipping channels, slowly. Most of the channels were broadcasting static and the channels that did have something on, were still pretty fuzzy. We continued sitting there, in silence. I would occasionally glance over at him with only my eyes but would quickly avert them when he looked back.

I couldn't think of anything to talk about and I suppose, neither could he. I didn't feel too awkward, though. I was used to not doing much and being alone. I kind of liked not being home; although I knew it wouldn't last.

He finally stopped at a channel that was playing a black & white cartoon. I had no idea what they were saying, as I think it was in Chinese. I jumped a little when Taehyung let out a loud cackle. I furrowed my brows and looked over at him. He was leaning against the armrest with his hand near his mouth, eyes peeled to the screen. He laughed again, and I turned back to try to watch the show.

After awhile, I felt something strange. Even though I didn't know what they were saying, I could still get what was going on. I started chuckling and he joined me. We locked eyes with each other, smiling, which made us laugh more.

Before we knew it we were hysterical; slapping things, waving our arms around and clapping. Every time we would catch our breath, our eyes would meet and bouts of laughter would spill out, uncontrollably.

I felt like I had gone nuts; we were literally laughing at nothing, but it felt amazing. I couldn't remember the last time I had this much fun.

Once we had calmed down, I knew I had to leave. I had only been there for about twenty minutes but if I stayed out longer my mother might get suspicious. I swallowed hard, getting up off the couch and turning towards the stairs. "I have to go." I walked away.

"Now?" He swiftly got up and cut me off, standing in front of me. "How about you stay a bit. I can make us some tea."

"Uhm...I can't. I'm already gonna have to lie." I scratched my head and walked around him, jogging up the stairs.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" He called out. I felt a small twinkle of excitement when I heard that.

It quickly faded when I remembered how my mother was.

 

 

I lived uptown in one of the upper middle class suburbs.

The school I attended was different from the one Taehyung went to, on the other side of the bridge.  I was one of the smartest kids there but the majority of the students were really into their studies.

Most were from well off families and there was a lot of pressure to do well. It made the kids seem kind of snobby and cold towards anyone who wasn't like them.

As soon as I got home, my mother was waiting for me by the door. "You're late. Where did you go?"

I rolled my eyes and tried to walk past her.

She grabbed my arm, forcibly. "Did you just roll your eyes at me? How dare you."

"I stopped at a mickey d's after class and ate some food, okay?"

"You never eat fast food. You're not making friends all of a sudden, are you?"

"No ma'am. Can I go?" I asked, calmly.

She grabbed my arm tighter. "What has gotten into you? Next time you answer my calls, you understand me?" She said, sternly. I looked down and nodded. She let go of my arm and let me go upstairs.

My mom was pretty overprotective of me. I knew there was a reason, though.

My father was a successful lawyer who ran his own firm and my mother was a house wife.

Her and dad finally had me after trying for years and all of her pregnancies after me turned out to be miscarraiges. My mother desperately wanted more children. I was even supposed to have a little sister but she bled out when she was seven months and lost her. The doctors did the best to save her but she was a still-born; dying before they got her out. 

Since I was the only one my parents had, I got everything. Their affection; but also the pressure of being the perfect son. I had always been a straight-A, honor student. They pushed me constantly,  and I did my best to make them proud, although it never seemed like enough. I had even skipped a grade this year and started taking that extra tutoring class, after school. All my life I did nothing but work hard and study, being raised with discipline and doing chores while the other kids were playing.

People made fun of me and called me a genius but I didn't consider myself that. I wouldn't be where I was if my only focus throughout the years hadn't been on school. Sometimes I hated myself for that but this is the way I was so used to being.

The truth is, I had no idea who I was. I didn't have any hobbies or friends. The kids at my school this year bully me for being younger than they are; not to mention for messing up the grading curve with my amazing scores. I tried to understand how they felt and just took everything they threw at me. I got very good at throwing away my emotions and disregarding them for the sake of others.

I sat on my desk chair in my room and took out my books. I started working on the assignment I was supposed to do with my new partner.

Taehyung was his name. I looked out the window at the night sky, his smile popping into my mind. My heart fluttered and I found it hard to concentrate on my work, which was unusual. I kept thinking about his laugh and his weird, cold basement. I wondered how he felt since his mom died and why he had lost inspiration to paint. He seemed like such an interesting and unique guy.

I shook my head, groaning in frustration, trying to remind myself that I shouldn't care.

I knew I couldn't have friends because of this reason; even my parents said it was best since they are a distraction.

Friends are bad. People are evil.

They always end up hurting you.

 

I heard my mother calling my name from down the stairs, breaking my train of thought.

I quickly set my pencil down and went to the dining room.

"Now that you're here, we can all eat." My mother called out, as I took my seat in the dining table.

"I heard you stopped by to get fast food instead of coming home. Is your mother's cooking not good enough, for you?" My father said, coldly, looking up at me.

"No, sir. That's not it. I just..I've had more of an appetite, is all. I'm sorry" I hung my head down, pretending to be ashamed.

"If that's the case, you're not leaving this table until the plates are clean." he said, sternly.

"Yeobo, stop it. He's a growing boy, it's normal for him to crave something new." My mother said to him as she set down another plate of side dishes and took her seat. "Don't worry, I already made him promise to answer my calls if he's gonna do that. Isn't that right, honey? You just need to be careful not to get fat."

I forced a smile in between bites.

The dining room was large and decorated in shades of beige with a crystal chandelier hanging over the long, mahogany dining table. The table was littered with delectable looking dishes my mom had prepared. She had worked as a sous chef in a four star restaurant before she decided to settle down and start a family. 

"I expect your new tutoring class was up to standard. I have heard Mr. Kim is an excellent teacher. Don't you cause trouble for him." My father said, working on cutting his meat and not looking up.

"Yes, of course. I won't." I mumbled.

"Don't talk with your mouth full. Now, hurry up and eat. I'm sure you have homework to do before bed time. I don't want you losing sleep, you need your brain to be working at it's best." My mom snapped.

I nodded my head apologetically and did as she said. We ate in silence for rest of the meal.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I know this story is kinda weird but I like it ^^ it's not for everyone, I guess. Note that Taehyung is currently in his manic phase. If you're unfamiliar with manic depression, here's a list of symptoms so that you can understand better.

Revision: Added the dinner part at the end to show a typical night with Kookie's family.