Come Back To Me

TaeKook - How Do You Feel?

Jungkook's POV

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The afternoon sun shone brightly in between the cracks in the blue curtains. This hospital room felt very familiar. It didn't take me long to realize this was the same hospital I had visited Taehyung in.

His handsome face popped into my memory, filling my stomach with butterflies. I searched around the room, sitting up, hoping to find him.

Instead, I found my mother, napping in a chair in the corner.

She quickly stirred awake, as if she sensed my movement in the room. She looked at me in shock for a few minutes before crying out my name and bursting into tears. She ran towards my bed and draped her arms around my neck, nearly choking me in a tight embrace.

"Umma...I can't breathe." I hissed into her ear. She continued holding on for a second before pulling back and cupping my face.

"Oh Jungkookie. Sweetie, you don't know what's going on, do you?"

I shook my head, furrowing my brows in annoyance. I suddenly noticed my hair and ran my fingers through it, in amazement. How had it gotten so long?

"Honey, I know this will be hard to hear but let me just break it to you....you've been in a coma for over four months! I was so afraid I would lose you, forever!" She explained, her voice breaking.

She pulled me into a hug, once more and cried, dramatically. I hugged her back, telling her everything was ok, now.

I didn't want it to be true. That was longer than I had known Taehyung for so it seemed like quite awhile. Of course, time passed far too quickly when I was with him, so it might be a bad frame of reference.

"Wow, that is so long. I'm sorry to have worried you but I feel totally fine, actually. So, uhm, dad's probably working, right now. Has Taehyung come to visit, lately?" I asked, widening my eyes, making her pull apart and stop her crying. It might seem selfish but he's the only one I really wanted to know about.

"Oh, right." She sighed. "That boy hasn't been around, even once. He just dropped off the face of the earth after he found out about your condition. To be honest, I'm not even quite sure he knows you're here!" She huffed, smugly.

I knew she must be lying but I played it off like I believed her. "Oh...ok."

I got up out of bed, saying I had to pee and headed straight for the bathroom.

 

I slid down the door, bringing my knees to my chest. I could feel my heart thumping in my chest. I shut my eyes and went through the memory reel of the last night I was awake. Taehyung and I were camping out in the field, under the tree. Then we heard some music and a bunch of crazy stuff happened.

I groaned at the thought of taking that drug and getting beat to a pulp. I was kind of proud of myself, at the same time, for not backing down when that crazy guy threatened me. My stomach churned when I remembered Taehyung talking to those girls.

I heard a voice in my head, following that thought. It was strange but I remembered him apologizing to me about thay, even though I couldn't remember exactly when.

I concluded that my parents must have been pretty pissed about me taking that drug and had somehow blamed Taehyung for everything.

I knew them, all too well.

I pulled myself together and exhaled sharply, opening the door, once more.

 

I smiled brightly at my mother, who was making my bed. "Do I have any clothes, here? I'm ready to wear something normal instead of this icky hospital gown." I looked down, scrunching my nose.

"Of course, hun. Let me grab some out of the bag I prepared for you. Here." She said, handing me grey baggy sweatpants and a purple long-sleeve shirt.

I had thought of a plan to get to Taehyung as quickly as possible. It was simple, really.

"Umma, I'm really hungry. Can you go get me a chicken sandwich? I want some banana milk, too. Oh, and some dukbokki!" I said, giving her my best pouty face.

"Alright, dear, whatever you want. Mommy will be back in a jiffy." She gave me a smooch on my forehead before heading out the door.

I smiled warmly, watching her turn the corner and disappear into the elevator. I waited until the doors closed and quickly slipped on my shoes that were set near the doorway. I slipped on my jacket and put the hood up, walking the opposite way from where she went.

I decided to take the stairs to minimize the risk of running into her.

As soon as I found an exit, I bolted out of the hospital as if I was running for my life.

 

I caught a bus and finally made it to Taehyung's neighborhood. I hoped my mother wouldn't notice I was gone, too soon.

The bus took longer than the drive there and I'm certain that this is the first place she would come looking for me.

I didn't care. It was all worth it to see Taetae again. I missed him, more than anything. I smiled at the thought of his face with his messy hair and his unconventional habits. I couldn't wait to go down to his dim basement and crawl into his bed to watch cartoons.

I hoped I hadn't worried him, too much. What if he was in one of his depressive states, again? I quickened my pace at the though.

I remembered biking down this street countless times, in the past. It somehow looked different with the sun shining, this brightly. It seemed more cheerful and cozy, in a way. Maybe it was just the fact that I was going to see him in a few minutes.

 

I noticed a white sign with bold red letter perched up in the grass in his front yard. "What the .." I mumbled under my breath, starting to get anxious. My heart sank as soon as I noticed the sign said 'For Rent'.

I couldn't believe it. There was no way he had moved away. He wouldn't just leave me like this, would he?

I sprinted past to the front door, banging on it, furiously. 

No one answered.

Maybe I got the wrong house? Did being in a coma affect my memory? I brought my palm to my forehead, searching for answers.

"Excuse me!" I heard from across the way. I turned and looked around until I saw where the voice was coming from.

"Hi there! Can I help you? If you're looking for the real estate agent, she left about twenty minutes ago." Said the neighbor, over the fence, who was watering her plants. I had never been to his house this early in the afternoon but I remembered I had greeted her once, before.

I walked up to the fence, resting my hand on the edge. "Uhm...no. I mean. Can you tell me what happened to the boy and his father that lived here? I'm looking for him. His name was Taehyung." I said, squinting my eyes from the sunlight.

"You know, I'm not sure where they went. I do remember seeing that kid on the TV, though. He was like a painter or an artist and he won some kind of scholarship to one of those European schools. You know, come to think of it, you kinda look like the person in one of his paintings. What did you say your name was?"

"Jungkook....thanks." I replied, sadly.

I walked away, slipping my hands in my pocket, feeling the cool breeze blowing my hair around. It had been a couple of months since it was cut so it had gotten longer than usual. I imagined Taehyung off in another country, attending some fancy art school, hanging out with really interesting people.

He had probably forgotten all about me, by now.

I didn't know what to feel, anymore, so I went numb. It was almost like someone had set the 'reset' button in my brain because I felt the same as before I had met him. He really was gone and there was nothing I could do.

I simply felt lost. I didn't want to believe that he would leave me, the way he did, so I tried to put him out of my mind. I couldn't bear it.

I guess I couldn't blame him. It wasn't his fault I wasn't there to say goodbye.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Double update (in the same day). Sorry for making this so depressing orz. Well, I'm not really sorry, since I intended for it to turn out this way (duh). It's still not over, I'll update soon.