Chapter 20

Sweets to the Sweet
   Monday, January 3rd
   12:27 p.m.
   Seoul National University Grounds

 

   It had been a week since Jinyoung had seen hide nor hair of Gongchan. It had felt like more than a week, but he was back in school now, the days slowly marching by like they always had. The strange thing though was that Gongchan never showed up for class this morning. If there was one thing made clear the last time they talked before he left for his parents house, it was that Gongchan very much valued his studentship at the university and took his studies very seriously. It wasn't like him to slack off and miss class, sick or otherwise incapacitated. Jinyoung had also tried texting him multiple times, but no response. It worried Jinyoung, but he tried to focus on his studies, whether or not he really actually learned anything though he knew was probably near zero.

   "Come on... Why won't you answer..." Jinyoung grumbled to himself. He thought back to his conversation with Suzy and breathed in and out. Shaking his head, he knew he just had to give Gongchan his space for now. Dealing with his parents for even one day before made him want to jump off a roof into a garden of cactus... . He could barely imagine what it would be like to actually have them as parents. Regardless, things weren't really that intense right now anyway. They were tense, but not intense. Jinyoung dialed again and still no answer. Sighing, Jinyoung spun around and walked back towards his next class. Thinking about Gongchan was making his head spin too much and he needed to focus and get to class to have plenty of time to study before a "refresher" quiz in his class. 

 
 

•   •   •

 

   Cho turned the key in the ignition of his black 2014 Hyundai Sonata, slowly pulling away and tailing his target ahead of him. He has been tracking, eavesdropping, digging dirt and otherwise stalking his target for the past week now, on Suzy's orders. Finally pulling into the parking lot of some resaurant, Cho's target got out of the car and met up with someone. Cho could barely make out the words:

   "...I still can't believe you told them that..." the taller man said.

   "He's mine, dude, you know that. I need to make him understand that there are consequences to cheating on me and trying to date people behind my back." Cho's target grunted, seemingly proud of what he did.

   "Yeah, but if what you tell me is true, won't they... Oh, I don't know, scar him emotionally even more? They tried to control him in a horrible way." The taller man did not seem happy with the decision that his friend made.

   "He's older now, I doubt they can do much to him other than yell at him. Besides, it's not like he's being forced to live there anyway. He has class, a job, a life, even if he tried to cut me out of it like the little rebellious traitor he is."

   "Whatever, Sandeul. Come on, we need to get in line if we want a decent seat." The taller man motioned to the door and the line barely visible from Cho's point of view.

   Taking his phone out of his pocket, Cho typed down a few more things on his phone before writing them down in a notepad he had right next to him. Cho finds it easier to compile reports from notes made in paper rather than digitally, helped him to think straight and make order of the mess he makes when tailing people. Satisfied, Cho turns his attention back to his phone and dials a number.

   "Hello?" a female voice answered.

   "Suzy! Fantastic. So I think I may have all the information you have, if you want to know now. You can expect the formal report in about 48 hours, but I figured that you would want the results now." Cho replied.

   "Oh? So who is the little that thought it wise to tell Gongchan's parents?" Suzy spat, both thrilled to find out who it is and furious that someone would be so slimy and dimwitted to actually tell Gongchan's parents, especially if they knew what they would do to him.

   "It appears to be his ex-boyfriend, Sandeul. I've been following him for about a week, and I've caught him a few times bragging about being the one to tell his parents. Seemingly, he's under the impression that Gongchan still belongs to him and that Gongchan was cheating on him. Just be warned, though, and know that he might be talking about someone else. I never heard him clear enough to specifically use Gongchan's name, just said 'he' and 'him'." Cho winced and pulled the phone away from his ear with Suzy's reply.

   "What?! When I find him, I'll... He'll... Well, he had better hope that I don't find him." Suzy breathed fire through the receiver at this point. "Listen, Cho. I appreciate what you've gathered for me. Would you mind pulling double-duty? You know what's in it for you and you know what's in it for you if you say yes... although I don't think I'll have to worry about you saying no."

   "Would you ever have to worry about me saying no? How long have I known you for now?" Cho mused. Saying his goodbyes, Cho wrote down a few more things in notepad and then got back to work.Suzy, however, had trouble focusing on work now. That little ball of garbage thought it a good idea to do what he did and then had the gall to brag about it? He was off his damn rocker if Sandeul thought that would fly. Looking back over her shoulder and peering through the glass walls into the meeting she just walked out of to take Cho's call, she sighed and shoved those thoughts to the side for now. They could wait, she had business to take care of.

 

 

 

•   •   •

 

   Class was over for Jinyoung for the day and he was walking down the hall to leave, checking his phone and disappointed by the lack of responses from Gongchan. This was really starting to worry him. Moreso, missing an entire day of class, on top of tennis practice, was really frustrating Jinyoung that he could not get ahold of what he thought was his boyfriend. Who called his name next surprised him.

   "Jinyoung?" A male voice called behind him. Turning, Jinyoung found Gongchan's psych teacher, Ryeowook, leaning out of his classroom and becking Jinyoung over. "Mind if we chat really quick?"

   "Uh... Yeah, sure." Jinyoung had never taken psych and hadn't met Ryeowook, or any psych teacher for that matter. Entering the classroom, Jinyoung looked back as Ryeowook shut the door behind him. "What's this about?"

   "Nothing much, I just know that you live next to Gongchan and just wondered if you knew where he was? It's very unlike him to miss class without an email apologizing for not attending class and asking for material to go over." Ryeowook responded nonchalantly. Jinyoung sensed there was something underneath his statement/request, but Jinyoung couldn't pin it down.

   "I have no idea where he is, actually. I thought he would be here today, but he's not. He spent winter break with his parents but obviously he's not back yet." Jinyoung said matter-of-factly. Watching Ryeowook, Jinyoung thought he saw subtle surprise creep across the teacher's face, but he dismissed it as reading too much into things. "I honestly don't know where he is though and it's starting to worry me."

   "I see..." Ryeowook mused, sitting in his chair and leaning back a little. "Well, thank you for taking the time to talk to me."

   "Yeah..." Jinyoung said, turning around to walk away. Reaching the door, Jinyoung bit his bottom lip and turned back around, walking back to Ryeowook's desk. "Say, do you mind if I ask you some questions too?"

   "I don't see why not." Ryeowook replied.

   "So say I thought Gongchan might be in an abusive relationship with someone, and say that person or people might be those close to him, like his parents. Do you think I should try to do something?" Jinyoung proded, not trying to expose Gongchan's personal life to someone Gongchan may or may not trust with those details.

   "Something like what?" Ryeowook's response was so quick and direct that it caught Jinyoung off guard.

   "Uh... I'm not really sure. I could drive over there and try to get him back I guess?"

   "And how would you do that?"

   "I don't know..."

   "There's the problem with that thinking. Although I would agree that Gongchan would need to get out of that hypothetical relationship, it's more difficult if he's with them and if they are in fact his parents." Ryeowook pointed out, "not to mention that they own a powerful company and I'm sure that they have the money to hire people to keep you out or him in if they so chose."

   "Then what am I supposed to do? Just wait for him to get back and let them do whatever they want with him, er... so to speak?" Jinyoung added, visibly frustrated that he's basically being told to sit around with his hands tied behind his back. Ryeowook shrugged.

   "Sometimes, that's all we can do. Not everything is always so clear-cut and black-and-white. Sometimes, you just have to wait and let things happen. It , but you get over it and figure out how to work without him or it." Ryeowook said. Although he was insightful, Jinyoung wasn't sure if Ryeowook was the right one to ask for help, but Jinyoung thanked the psych teacher nonetheless, said his goodbyes, and texted Gongchan one more time before making his way to his car and get home.

 


Hi! I would apologize about never updating (like, one year later oops), but lbr here, we all knew what we were getting ourselves into lmao.

I'm glad that I finally finished this chapter, even if it IS 4:33AM, but writing is one of my only creative outlets and it feels nice when I can express it.

tbh I have an idea of how I want to take this story, but I have no idea how I'm going to write it or when i'm going to write it oops srynotsry.

Thanks for all your kind words of encouragement!! Please look forward to my next update!