Chapter 13

Sweets to the Sweet

   Thursday, December 23rd
   
2:00 p.m.
   Tennis Championships

 

   "...And here we are again, back at the Tennis Championship. Here in the finals, two of the three SKY Universities go head to head," The announcer's voice rang out over the stadium. "First up is Korea University with their rising star duo: Juniors Lee Sang Hoon and Song Kyung-Il!" 

   Both men came running out onto the court, the crowd of college kids screaming and chanting their names, especially the girls. 

   "Now for Seoul National: Senior Jung Jin Young and Freshman, that's right folks, you heard me say Freshman, Gong Chansik!" 

   It's now or neverThought Gongchan, peeved that Teacher Cho refused to let the pair break up. I can't believe 'The Great Cho Kyuhyun' wouldn't let me stick with my training partner...

   "Gongchan." Jinyoung called, looking over at his partner and friend. "Good luck, okay?" Gongchan resisted the urge to roll his eyes at Jinyoung. He still had not come close to forgiving him for what he said yesterday, but they have to work together if they're to win this thing. 

   "Yeah... You too." Gongchan reciprocated, earning a weak smile from his senior. Tying up his bangs into what people have called an apple shape, Gongchan started to channel everything out as he took his position on his front half of the court. Snapping out of his almost trance-like state by the almost pushing hand on his lower back, Gongchan stepped up to the net and shook hands with the pair they were supposed to beat.

   "We're going to thrash your little freshman, grandpa." Sanghun said with a smile on face, waving to the people who were oblivious to the rather rude words being exchanged.

   "Careful, Sanghun, we don't want to kill these amateurs." Kyung-Il taunted, the same bright expression on his face. Gongchan was absolutely dumbfounded at the words being tossed at them. Jinyoung didn't seem phased though, as he replied with equal harsh words.

   "Well this grandpa still has a few tricks up his sleeve. With age comes wisdom, youngsters." Jinyoung retorted, the manufactured brightness that their opponents wore also plastered across his face. Once all the words were exchanged at the net, the players went back to their respective positions on the court. 

   "Now is the moment you all have been waiting for. First up to serve, Korea University!" 

   Sanghun smiled as he lined up his serve. His school miraculously kept it a secret of Sanghun's power serving abilities, until multiple opponents had been benched for falls, sprains, or other injuries. All in all, he was a dangerous opponent, and a deadly server. 

Twack.

   Gongchan's eyes widened as he saw the ball fly past him and into Jinyoung's territory. Gongchan was greatly impressed, as no other server would usually get past his racket, even in the semi finals. Gongchan's morale dropped as he heard the announcer call out the score.

   "Ohhh! Close call! 15 - Love, Korea U."

   Gongchan grit his teeth at the score. Even if they were older and probably more experienced, Gongchan knew that he had more talent than those two idiots combined. Now determined to right the score, Gongchan was prepared for Sanghun's next serve. Or so he thought.

Twack.

  Gongchan lunged to his left a little, successfully making contact with the ball, but causing the ball to go out of bounds, rewarding Korea U. with another point. Returning to his spot, Gongchan looked back to see Jinyoung shoot an encouraging smile to him. Scoffing to himself, Gongchan returned to the task at hand and breathed in deeply, reworking his anger and disappointment with himself into deadly determination and focus. 

Twack. 

   This time, Gongchan knew he couldn't get to the ball and instead let his senior return the serve, only to be greeted by Kyung-Il's volley. Gongchan had never met a pair of men so in-sync with each other and covering each other's weaknesses as these two athletes. 

   "Seoul National is getting a surprising beat-down here today, folks. As it stands, the score is 40 - Love, Korea U.. If Seoul National doesn't pull out the stops soon, they'll be a set down in a three set match."

   Gongchan wanted nothing more than to hit the announcer with his racket for saying what he already knew. Honing his mind away from the annoying announcer, Gongchan quickly ran back to Jinyoung to talk some quick strategy.

   "Hey, Jin, I was thinking of maybe trying to volley back Sanghun's serve in an attempt to throw them off their rhythm. Are you comfortable with that?" Gongchan asked, glancing over at the pair of grinning boys, and then back to his senior. 

   "Yeah. Just be careful, and don't strain yourself. We have to win this, and that means not overexerting yourself. Let them burn themselves out in the first set. We'll blaze through them in the second and third set." Jinyoung chided, sounding rather motherly for someone who thought that their relationship was just a mistake, or at least, that's what Gongchan thought.

   Breaking the huddle, Gongchan returned to his spot on the court, confident of their plan. Gongchan usually did best Jinyoung on the court anyway, so if anyone would have a chance to volley the serve back, it would be him. 

Twack.

   Just as Gongchan thought, Sanghun served it to the slight left of him, which the freshman was prepared for. Lunging left, Gongchan twisted his body and struck the serve back, effectively surprising both Sanghun and Kyung-Il and getting in the first point for Seoul National.

   "Wow folks! Look at that! This freshman sure has some moves to be predicting and hitting serves back like that!"

   This serving trend lasted up into the second and third sets, with Korea University winning the first set and Seoul National winning the second set, with both teams tied in a Deuce for the third. Both teams eyed each other with daggers, exhausted by the game that's already lasted two hours in the cold air. With Sanghun up to serve for the rest of the set, Gongchan had almost already hurt himself, contorting his body to reach the impossible serves. 

Twack. 

   Lunging forward, Gongchan barely got to the ball in time to send it over the net and into Korea U.'s side of the court, only to have it returned an instant later by Kyung-Il. No longer was Gongchan able to score that many points from volleying the serve, as Kyung-Il would spring forward and return it with what seemed like ease. Knowing his hyung to be able to reach it, Gongchan prepared himself for the next return from Sanghun, as the matches usually played out in this manner until one side of the court made an error in their repetition and the ball flew past them. This time, Kyung-Il miss-stepped and the ball flew just out of his reach.

   "Oooh! So close! 45 - 45, Advantage Seoul National."

   His confidence growing, Gongchan got ready for the next serve from the frustrated Sanghun, knowing that the next serve would be to his left again, and he would have to try to volley it or their advantage would be gone. 

Twack.

   Hearing the familiar twack of the racket and ball, Gongchan's body reacted before he could think, twisting his whole body except for his right foot, which stayed in place, twisting his ankle with such force that it felt like it should of snapped. Letting out a scream of pain, Gongchan collapsed, using all of his willpower not to sob on the court from the sheer agony his ankle was causing him. Jinyoung rushed forward, knowing all too well what happened when Gongchan tried to rush after the serve after he warned him against it. Jinyoung was even more worried when Gongchan tried to get back up and instead fell back the ground with a whimper. 

   Sanghun and Kyung-Il smiled to each other, happy that they took down the one able to return Sanghun's killer serve with surprising intensity. Having to feign concern, they both jogged over to the net to 'see if their opponent was alright'. They both knew, however, after seeing him fail at getting up, that he was down for the count.

   Jinyoung, wrapping his arm around Gongchan and hoisting him to his feet, made a head jerking motion towards Kyuhyun, conveying that new players would have to take their place instead. This was confirmed when Jinyoung had made his way to the sidelines and set Gongchan down, who had become unresponsive, on the verge of passing out from the pain. 

   "You have to substitute us out, coach. I need to take him to the hospital." Jinyoung said rather grimly. Kyuhyun nodded, pointing to two other students and sending them up on the court.

   "Go, before he fai—" Kyuhyun didn't need to finish his sentence, as Gongchan fainted, slumping over and then falling off his chair and somersaulting onto the floor. 

 


Oh my gosh, guys. I updated in a rather quick manner. I'm on fire!

 

Anyway, I know I'm an evil person for leaving things in a cliffhanger, but all will get even worse. 

BWAHAHAHA!

 

Ahem. Anyway, thank you guys, and I hope you enjoyed it!

Love you <3