Chapter 19

Sweets to the Sweet

   Saturday, December 25th
   1:45 p.m.
   Gongchan's apartment

 

   Opening the door, Jinyoung stepped inside Gongchan's apartment with a heavy step with Gongchan soon behind him. Throwing himself down on Gongchan's bed with a sigh, Jinyoung buried his face into the crook of his elbow. 

   "If your mother hates me so much, why'd she let you come home?" Jinyoung said from Gongchan's bed as its owner walked straight past him. Looking up from the bed, its occupant could see the walk-in closet's door wide open and Gongchan inside, deciding what clothes to take with him. 

   "She doesn't know you live next to me and she doesn't have to know." Gongchan spoke bluntly. "Not only that, they don't have clothes for me, nor do they want to buy me any. I don't have enough money to get a week's worth of new clothes that I might never wear again."

   "Mmm." Jinyoung responded, returning to his original position. "So how long will you be gone?"

   "The whole vacation. Maybe a little longer, but they won't interfere with school too much, if at all. My schooling is as important to them as it is myself."

   "That's weird." Jinyoung chuckled, effectively surprising himself in the process. Why should it be so weird that Gongchan's schooling is important to his parents?

   "And why's that?" Gongchan said nonchalantly, as if he expected what Jinyoung had said.

   "Well... They seem to hate anything you take an interest in, to put it bluntly." The red head said without any sugar coating. "From what I experienced from your mother, she's a demon sent from hell to plague us humans."

   "That's not funny. No matter how cruel she is, or my father is for that matter, they're still my parents." Gongchan said, emotionless. Although Jinyoung wanted to protest, he had a point. No matter what Gongchan's parents put him through, no matter what he was forced to endure, they were the only parents that he would have in this world, and so he treasured them regardless. Jinyoung also observed though, that although he did indeed treasure his parents, the abuse suffered at the hands of his parents helped to put a damper on his emotions towards them, so to speak.

   "You're right... You're right, I'm sorry."

   "Thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to pack." Gongchan said rather curtly, coming out of his closet with a host of clothes. Shooing Jinyoung off his bed and out the door, the black-haired boy closed the door quickly, but taking care not to slam it. It must have been something his parents drilled into him. Sighing and turning, Jinyoung knew that this was going to get bad. When, he had no idea, but he knew that it will turn out bad, one way or another. Opening the door to his own apartment, Jinyoung stepped through the portal and closed the door behind himself. 

 

•   •   •

 

   With a firm knocking at the door, Gongchan knew it was time. Checking his phone, Gongchan knew who it was. 2:30pm on the dot, punctual as always. in his breath, Gongchan grabbed the handle of the door, exhaling and opening the door and seeing the face he knew would be there. 

   "Hello, father." Gongchan simply said.

   "Come, we can talk in the car. We'll be late." Gongchan's father said, still so business-like, even all this time apart from Gongchan. With Gongchan locking up his apartment, the duo made their way to the plain, black business car waiting in the parking lot below. From the stairs, Gongchan could spot his mother inside. Stashing his clothes in the trunk of the car, Gongchan got in and prepared himself for what he knew was going to come. With the car put in reverse, the party backed out and eventually pulled out of the parking lot and onto the road ahead of themselves to Gongchan's family's residence in Gangnam.

   "I hear that you've been fraternizing with men again, and not for business either." Gongchan's father, Gong Hye Sung, said some time later, albeit bitterly. Looking back in the rearview mirror, Hye Sung gave a disapproving shake of his head before turning his attention back on the road, his knuckles white with how tightly he was grasping the steering wheel. "You do remember what happened last time this happened?"

   "Yes... I remember." Gongchan replied, drawing himself inward slightly as he responded. He already recalled those events when his mother came to visit him in the hospital. Gongchan knew that he was in for a rough week at home.

   "If you remember, then what were you thinking? Did you want to back to that... that disgusting habit of yours?" Hye Sung spoke coldly. His words stung Gongchan, lashing out at his psyche and bringing him back to a time where he wanted nothing more than to die. Gongchan could feel it, his mind wanting to shut down to escape what he had went through all those years ago. Willing himself out of it by not wanting to appear weak, Gongchan looked out the window at the passersby.

   "I... I guess I wasn't thinking clearly, obviously. It was a momentary lapse in my better judgement and I'll see to it that it doesn't happen again." Gongchan spoke the words he knew that his parents wanted to hear. What Gongchan wondered was why his mother was staying quiet the entire car ride and instead letting his father speak the entire time. She had plenty to say at the hospital, so why is she holding back now?

   "Tell me why I should believe you. This isn't the first time you've permitted yourself to this hideous behavior and you pleaded with us to come back. We allowed you back in, and after all these years, this is how you repay us for our generosity." Hye Sung shook his head again, disappointed in what he thought his son had become. When Hye Sung went to turn right around the corner, that's when Gongchan saw it. It was subtle and hard to see from the backseat, but he knew it when he saw it.

   "Because I'm your son, and because disowning me when I just won a tennis championship would look suspicious." Gongchan replied back in monotone fashion. Gongchan had a point, and if there was anything that his father listened to, it was well thought-out logic. The next sentence both surprised Gongchan and sent shivers up his spine.

   "You were my son then too, but not the one I wanted."

 
 

•   •   •

 

   "Do you think he's going to be okay?" Jinyoung asked over the phone to Suzy. He was in his own apartment, attempting to study. 

   "I think he'll be fine. He's dealt with them before, and I'm sure he can do it again. He has his own place to go to now if they decide to kick him out. Gongchan has his own job, his own life. His situation now is much different that it was when they did those horrible things to him. Remember too, it's only for a week. How much can they do to Gongchan in a week?" Suzy tried her best to calm Jinyoung's fears. In reality though, she was trying to calm herself down too.

   "Thanks, Suzy. I guess you're right." Jinyoung replied, still worried but figuring that he can't do anything for Gongchan.

   "It sounds like you don't believe me. Tell you what... When he comes back, and he's fine, you owe me a favor. If he comes back and there's anything wrong with him, I'll owe you a favor." Suzy retorted.

   "A favor? Why favors?" Jinyoung asked, puzzled. He understood that a favor could really mean anything, but that seems like a strange thing to bargain with.

   "Do you know how much favors are actually worth? A lot. You can get a lot out of favors from high places, so to speak. Anyway, I have to go. I have business I have to attend to." Suzy said, saying her goodbyes and ending the call. Suzy really liked Jinyoung, as she thought he was a really good balance to Gongchan and helped to inspire Gongchan to do better. Turning her attention back to what she was doing, she went into the meeting room she was standing outside of in her company building, folder in hand.

   "It's odd for you to call me here at this time of year, darling." Wang Cho said, amused. 

   "I know, Cho, but you're the best P.I. I know, and I have a few people in mind that I know that I could use a little information on, if you wouldn't mind." Suzy said, placing the folder on the table with pictures and names in them. "This is important, and you know what else is important too."

   "Of course, darling. Secrecy is everything." Cho said, smile on his face.


 

Surprise! I finally updated! To be honest, I had completely forgotten about my fics and hadn't had much inspiration for them. I sort of have the plot somewhat written out, but the devil is in the details of writing it. 

Now, I won't be silly and promise that I'm going to update soon, because honestly there was a reason I forgot about the fic ( and not because I don't like it! Real life is just demanding and I'm easily distracted. )

I will promise that I will update sometime in the future, so the best thing I can say is just to subscribe and if you can, wait patiently. I will put out more chapters in the future!