Long Last

Snow Bunnies

 

After a tearful goodbye, Sunny returned to her own lonely dorm room to get a few more hours sleep before her midday group lessons. She snuggled under her covers, flicking through text messages from Sooyoung over the last week, smiling and giggling at the words, and sighing at the memories of their moments together. Suddenly Sunny remembered the photo she snapped of Soo’s drivers’ license, opening it from the image folder. The grinning girl read every rudimentary word on the screen, her name, address, date of birth and hair colour, even zooming in on Soo’s signature, smiling even more at how cute it was. But she was mesmerised by the photo, studying Soo’s features, reminiscing about the warmth of her gaze, the feel of her lips when they kissed, and the sound of her voice when she was . Initially Sunny had taken a photo of the license so she could get Soo’s address, wanting to send her flowers while they were still apart. However she didn’t realise that this photo would give her so many reminders of Soo. It made her smile, and it made her miss the tall y woman so much more.

Packing, cleaning, tidying, checking, double checking, the girls made sure everything was in order before leaving their home of the last week. The mood was serious, sombre, weird, the end of a holiday always bringing mixed emotions, none more mixed than those of Sooyoung. She hadn’t given anything away to her friends about how her evening REALLY went, preferring to wallow and stew on how it could’ve gone differently. “Hey, cheer up giant, you’ll see her again soon” Yoona commented in passing, giving Soo a pat on the shoulder. A disgruntled “yeah” was all she could muster, her mind automatically thinking the worst.

It came as no surprise to her then that a few days after Sooyoung got back to LA, the text messages stopped coming from Sunny. Initially they had kept in touch fairly regularly, flirting, even ting a couple of times. But as Sunny got busier with the end of ski season closedown, the less they got to speak to each other, all communication stopping abruptly after a seemingly normal conversation. The days to follow were torturous for Soo, as she ran through every possibly reason why Sunny didn’t contact her anymore. She read and reread texts, sending messages to her that ranged from apologetic, to pathetic, to downright angry. In the end, Soo gave up, not just on Sunny, but on work, on going out of her apartment, on her life.

About a week later, Soo was laying on her couch watching some soap opera that didn’t really interest her, but was better than silence. There was a soft knock at her door, an action so weak that Soo perceived it as not important enough to move from her misery. After a minute, the knock came again, harder, and longer in duration, making Soo sit up and scowl at her own front door. She stared at the inanimate object, willing the disturbance to go away and waiting for the silence to stay. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!!! This person meant business, and so did Soo as she grumpily rose to her feet. She stomped to her door, the persistent knocker not relenting, THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!!! “Alright! Okay! I’m not deaf Goddamnit!” Soo growled, flinging open the door to give the unexpected visitor a piece of her mind. She stood there in total shock, her eyes wide and mouth agape at who was standing before her.

“Hi!”

It was Sunny … and she was on crutches, her knee in a bulky brace.

“Hey … what happened to you?” Soo questioned, her demeanour switching from anger to sympathy in seconds. Sunny grimaced in pain as she tried to shift her weight from one foot to the other, “Can I come in?”. “Sure sure, come sit down” Soo offered, holding the door open wide to let the little blonde inside, showing her to the living room.

Sunny sighed in relief as she sat on the sofa, adjusting to be comfortable as Soo sat beside her. “God, where do I start? I was on perimeter patrol last Wednesday, checking the borders of the runs for fallen trees or other dangerous obstacles. Anyway, I lost control near a steep edge and clipped a tree, tossing me down the face about 30 metres. By the time someone realised I was missing, I’d been out there for an hour. I was flown by chopper to the nearest hospital where I’ve been for the last five days. Totally ed up my knee, had surgery to fix it, but I won’t be skiing again for a while”. Sunny took a breath after her long winded explanation, noticing a forlorn expression on Soo’s face.

“So … how come you didn’t call me to let me know? Or message? In fact why haven’t I heard from you at all?” Soo asked, her frustrations of the past week boiling over. “My phone is gone, my wallet, credit cards, keys, everything. They fell out of my pockets when I crashed. And since Search and Rescue’s only task was to find me alive and get me to hospital, I guess they didn’t bother looking for them” Sunny explained with a feistiness to her voice. Sooyoung immediately went on the offensive, “Well I’m sorry, but I didn’t know that! All I knew was that this awesome chick who I’d had such a great time with, and really want to be with suddenly stops talking to me. And I’m left wondering why, and trying to figure out if I’d said or done something wrong”.

Sunny reached her hand out and covered Soo’s, brushing her thumb across the woman’s knuckles, “I’m sorry, it really was unavoidable. Your number was in my phone, but I had no idea what it was. All I had was your address, which I’d committed to memory after looking at the photo I took of your drivers’ license for so long the day you left Aspen. So as soon as I was able, I took a chance and came here to see if you were home. Sooyoung turned her hand under Sunny’s, their fingers interlacing and holding gently, “I’m sorry about your accident. The main thing is that you’re okay” Soo said, letting her emotions settle down now that she had the real reason for Sunny’s silence.

“I’ll be fine …” Sunny started, squeezing Soo’s hand, “… anyway I’m feeling much better now that I’ve found you again”. Their eyes met and Sunny closed in to kiss Sooyoung gently on the lips, relishing in the familiar feel of her pout, brushing softly against each other in reconnection before Sunny pulled back. She let her tongue dancer across her lips, savouring the taste of Soo’s kisses, smiling as they looked at each other once more. “So … do you still wanna be my girlfriend?” Sunny asked in a serious tone, sliding her palm onto Soo’s knee. For the first time in a week, Sooyoung had a genuine smile on her face, the words Sunny spoke making butterflies stir in her stomach. But she was curious, “I thought you wanted to get to know each other first? What happened to waiting?” she questioned. Sunny smiled, sensing this might be payback for her own questioning back on their last night together in Aspen.

“Well, I won’t be going to New Zealand now, so I want to start getting to know you right away. Besides, I had a lot of time to think in hospital, and that week where I couldn’t contact you was absolute hell, so I don’t want to go through that again” Sunny explained, placing her hand on Soo’s cheek. “I don’t want to lose you Sooyoung, will you be my girlfriend?” she asked again, gazing into Soo’s sweet brown eyes. “Hmmmm can I think about it?” Soo playfully replied, tapping her fingertip against her chin as she stared into the distance. “Yahhh! Are you serious?” Sunny shouted, slapping Soo’s shoulder for her cheekiness. “Owww Owww yes, alright I give in!” Soo answered, holding up her hands to defend herself from the blows. She managed to capture Sunny’s hands, their fingers splaying and linking together, big smiles on both their faces. “Yes Sunny, yes I’ll be your girlfriend” Soo seriously responded, releasing her hands and wrapping her little blonde girlfriend in a hug, falling into tender kisses.

“Ouchhh, hmmm my knee is kinda hurting baby …” Sunny started, rubbing at the brace around her leg, “… do you think we could maybe … lay down somewhere?” she asked with a wiggle of her eyebrows and a flicker of her tongue. “Mmmmm, would you like me to carry you to my bedroom?” Soo chivalrously suggested, Sunny shaking her head as she giggled. “No no, I can walk” she declared, picking up her crutches and heading in the direction Soo was pointing “Second door on the left honey, I just gotta lock the front door” Soo informed her, letting Sunny make her way there. After clicking the lock, Soo paused at the table by the door, looking at the large clear bowl filled with business cards and notes from her former conquests. She picked up the bowl and headed to the kitchen, emptying the contents into the trash. A big smile came to her face as she put the bowl in the back of a nearby cupboard, closing the door on that part of her life, and walking confidently towards her future.

 

**********

 

~The End~

 

**********

 

Author’s note.

Yaaaaay!!!! That’s it!!! I hope you enjoyed the story, let me know what you thought. Thank you so much for taking the time to read, subscribe, upvote and comment. I’m extremely greatful that you chose to dedicate part of your day to something that I created. Please check out my other works, if you haven’t already, and I look forward to being able to entertain you with future stories.  Thank you again, and goodbye for now!

;-D