제 1 장

The Girl with Pink Hair

Hana POV

“Miss Park! This is my last warning to you. If you ever make noise in my class again, get out!” This is how my day starts. It’s not like I’m the one who always make trouble in my class but I used to read myself and these teachers thought I’m talking to somebody.

‘First. What are the three main causes for WWII? Easy; treaty of Versailles, great depression & fascist aggression. Second. What is the impact of the holocaust? Between 6 to 9 million Jews were killed...’

“MISS PARK! GET OUT OF MY CLASS!!”

“But  ... I didn’t …”

“NOW!”

That’s how Mrs. Green scolds her students. I don’t get, is this how the American teachers were? I thought they were the one who cool with everything. You know, like swag.

Oh, if you wondered I’m a Korean but rose in Dallas, Texas since I was in my diaper-hood. It’s already been 16 ½ years I’m here. My name is Park Hae Mi but in America, my ‘American name’ is Hana Park. Well, my mom told me so.

I stood outside thinking, ‘Did she hear what I thought? I didn’t even talk!’ After 10 minutes standing, the other students walk out. “Hey Hana, the hulk wanna see you.” Joshua tapped my shoulder. I look at him, “Don’t give me that look. I’ll wait for you. Here.” He pinched my cheeks.

I sighed, “Okay.”

Joshua, my best friend since he moved to be my neighbour since we were 8 years old. We share everything together since we were like in the kindergarten. He’s my only hope, my brother, my soul and he’s Korean too. His name is Kim Joo Shin.

I walked in and saw the hu- … I mean Mrs Green waiting at the teacher’s table. “Yes, Miss Park. I have something to ask you.”

I just nod.

“Do you understand of my orders that I want pin-drop silence during my class?” She crossed her arms; stare at me like waiting the right time to munch my whole body. “Yes, I do. I’m sorry Mrs Green.” I hung my head low.

“You should understand. I hate to scold my own students that badly. And I never wanna see my students end-up in the detention class for hours.”

I know it wasn’t my fault, but she thought it was. She clapped once, “That’s all for you today. I hope you reflect your mistakes and never do that again.” She took her bag and file and off she goes. I just watch her go.

As soon as she walks off, I screamed and sat on the cold, bare floor. Joshua came right in as he heard I screamed, “Hey what’s wrong? Did she send you off to detention?” he shook my shoulder.

I look up and Joshua was that near to my face, “N-no. I just feel relieved.”

Josh went to my table and took my stuff, “Here you go.” He passed my bag. “Thanks boyfriend.” I smiled.

Nope, he’s not my boyfriend but people said we look like we have that kind of relationship. Believe me, he’s just a friend of mine.

We walked home. The winds blew and mess my hair. I took out my cap and wore over. “You have any plans for tonight?”

I thought over, “Not … really. Why?”

“If you’re free, let’s go to our favourite place. It’s been a while you know.” he wiggles his eyebrows which look kinda weird. “I’m not sure. I’ll give you a call or text.”

He nods. That short conversation made us reach home in few minutes after. “I guess I have to wait for your text later. See ya!” he waved and dance to his signature freak dance.

I giggled, “Yah! Please behave!”

He imitates my voice and went inside straight into the house. I knocked, “Mom, you home?” my voice echoed, means she’s not home.

Busy with her embassy work. That’s the reason why we move to America. My dad? Died, 3 years ago when he was in flight to Korea.  Pretty much, I missed him and I wanna visit him. But I can’t cause my mom chose to buried him at Korea; his birthplace.

Mrs. Park POV

“Mrs Park, I need you to settle up these papers for tomorrow’s meeting. I need it by today, can you?” my head was full with works and I can’t even think straight.

Why did I choose this work at the first place?! Oh yes, highly paid since I just graduate my degree in international communication and human psychology.

I nod, “Yes. I’ll place these papers on your table by today. And the clock now shows 5.15 pm. Yeah, quite impossible for such papers. Time flies and as soon as I finish these papers, I took a glance at the clock.

‘HOLY JESUS! It’s already 10.45pm?!’ I quickly placed my iPad in my bag and pack some files to bring home. “James, I can’t finish this. Can you cover up for me?” I asked.

He glared at me, “Why is it always me? Am I your servant?” He raised his voice. “Chill. I was just asking.”

“Well, for your information, , I was just saying about you. I think you should mind your own works and not giving others to do it.” He started to sound rude.

I take a deep breath, “Then, fine. I don’t even your help bastard! Don’t’ you ever find me if you’re in trouble.” I stomped my heels on his leather polo shoes and walks off like a diva.

Argh! He’s such a moron. I can’t believe he’s my partner and my only substitution. I rushed to my car and start the engine. I call Hana’s phone twice and she didn’t picked up. I guess she’s already asleep.

I drove home and found all lights were off except her room. Studying in this hour? She should be sleeping. It’s past her bedtime. I’m really concerning my child’s sleep time.

Hana’s POV

I look over at the clock for the fifth time and it’s already struck to 9.50 and mom still not home. Another meeting? Too much work? Nah, she barely cares about me. I rolled over on my bed and Ka-talk with Josh; even he’s just next door.

What did hulk talked to you earlier? – Josh

Some crap advices and she accused me on talking in her class before. – Hana

I bet she has mental issues. By the way, have you thought over about tonight? – Josh

I have but I can’t confirm on anything yet. – Hana

You have to go with me. I don’t wanna be an awkward slug there. – Josh

HAHAHAHA! SLUG?! That’s what you think off? I think awkward as your lizard. – Hana

Hey, my Gecko is precious okay? He’s my best friend. – Josh

What am I then? – Hana

I wait for a while and after few minutes, he didn’t reply. Maybe his browser having problems. He always has those problems. Suddenly, I heard the house door crack open and I look over the wall clock it’s nearly to midnight.

Is it a thief?

“Hana?” I know that’s mom’s voice. “Yeah.” I answered back and ran downstairs. She held a bag of Chinese food. “I know you probably starve, so I bought your favourites?” she sounds unsure.

We sat at the dining table and stuff the Chinese noodles and slurp everything. It was delicious until mom breaks the ice, “How’s school?” I choked. She hands me a glass of water and held my hand.

Did I just hear my mom ask how school is? Wow. Since I’m elementary she never asks those. What have gotten into her? “Sc-school was f-fine.” Although the hulk scold me for my quiet behaviour in her class.

After ‘late dinner’ ends, mom called, “Hana, I need to talk to you.”

Did Mrs Green call her?

What happen?

I sat across her and wait for her words, “I’ve been thinking for a while.” She took her time and I began to precipitate and sweating. My heart beat rising, “I’m planning to go back to Korea.”

I felt excited but mom’s expression wasn’t good.

“WHAT?!” I asked her and her shock of my sudden raised voice.

“If that’s the case, I’m not going!” I stomped my feet upstairs. And mom’s voice begins to stutter as she called my name. “H-Hana…”

I locked my door and punch the wall. Mom knocked on the door but I refuse to it. “Hana, please. I need you to understand this.”

“NO! YOU’RE THE ONE WHO CAN’T UNDERSTAND! YOU DON’T EVEN CARE ABOUT MY FEELINGS. YOU JUST THOUGHT ABOUT YOURSELF AND NEVER INVOLVE ME.” I burst out everything.

I grabbed my phone and quickly text Josh, “Your plan is on. I’m going tonight. Wait for me outside.”


Chapter 1 is up and nice to meet you, dear subscribers :)