Closer To You

ANGEL, INTO YOUR WORLD

I, who has fallen in love with no other place to go back
My wings have been taken away
 Even though I lost my everlasting life,

The reason to my happiness is because you are my eternity


“I really don’t know if I’ll be able to contact Lu” Xiu said sadly remembering the reason why Lu Han left or that’s what she thought was. They were in the park just near Kai’s place. He called her to tell her the short conversation he had with his mother about what happened to his dad and who he really was.

“Well…I know you haven’t get in touch with him since then but if you get a chance to know someone who is close to him that might know where he is now just tell” Kai said in a casual tone. Xiu have told him then she and Lu Han grew up together as far as she could remember but it was only since they were in middle school that she knew about her power and found it freaky that he avoided Lu Han because she was scared thinking that her friend was some sort of a psycho.

“I’ll see what I can do” She said softly with a sad expression on her face. She can’t seem to understand why she was cold to Lu Han but not to Kai. “Kai” she uttered before he could say a word. She has been calling him Kai after the revelation they had and she kind of like the name more because she felt like it suits him well.

“Yeah?” He looked to her

“Thank you for trusting me” She said sincerely

“I should be the one thanking you” Kai corrected her “For keeping my secret, for being my friend and sticking out with me” he added and smiled

“I just don’t want to do the same mistake again” She said shyly “I don’t want you to suffer the same as what Lu Han experience because of my foolishness” she went on “I’ve been a bad friend to him leaving him all alone when I was the only one he could count on” she closed her fist as a sign of anger. Mad to herself for not protecting Lu Han when he was been there for her when she needed someone, a brother, friend but she let him down. She felt her eyes turned blurry and tears starts falling. Kai wiped it with his hand and hugged her.

“You were just scared at that time, confused. Anyone will react the same way” He assured her rubbing the back of his head.

“You’re not a bad person” He let go of her and gently tapped both her shoulder “You have a good heart” Kai said sincerely and smiled at her brightly.

She gave a nod then smiled back “I should be going now” She sniffed then wiped her eyes when she felt her tears were falling again

“Be careful” Kai said and waved goodbye to Xiu. She turned her back and headed to the Red Chevy Cruze that was parking on the side of the street. Xiu looked back at him and gave her another smile and wave goodbye he raised his head and smiled to her. He waited as the car speed off to the main road and he headed back to his place just a few blocks from the park.

                As Kai reached the premises of the condominium he felt something eerie.

“That’s weird” He said as he scans his eyes around the building. The cold wind touches his skin that sends shiver down to his spine. As he look around the sides of the building he felt someone was watching him. He has never felt like this before, his head suddenly ache as he heard voices talking but he didn’t quite understand what they were saying. He shake his head trying wave the voices as he entered the building but it didn’t work. He closed his eyes as he got on the elevator and let out a deep sigh then opened his eyes and pressed the button to his floor. He lowered his head as he hears the voices but now it sounded like the person was screaming in front of him

“Kai!” a female voice called out in his head. His eyes widened from the sound of the familiar voice he stood still inside the elevator as the door opened to his floor. Seconds of silence filled the air before something snap him back to reality

“Mom!” He screamed out as he pushed the door before it closes and sprinted to their place.

                His eyes widen as his mouth hang open. Their door was smashed open, there place were a mess. His eyes focused on something that was on ground, a figure.

“Mom!” He exclaimed and rush to her aid.  He turned her to see her face and tears almost escape his eyes when he heard something move from the corner of his eye. He slowly placed his mom lifeless body back to the floor as he stood up slowly.

“Show yourself” Kai called out. His eyes move to every corners of the room as he position his body to a defense mode.

“I’m not here to fight” A male voice echoed to the room.

Kai search the room to where the voice came from when he saw something move from the dark part of the kitchen.

“I’m just like you” the male voice added as he came out to the open. A guy around Kai’s age appeared in front of him. His eyes a little small with round circles around it that makes him look like a panda. A slimmer version he thought.

“I always get that impression” the guy replied to him like he heard Kai’s thought.

Kai stepped back as he came a little close to him and stop when the guy stop a meter away from him.

“Who are you?” He asked harshly

“The name’s Tao” He replied “I control time” He added and gave a smirk

“The eerie feeling you felt a while ago was my doing” He said as he heard Kai’s mind. He moved to his left and looked down on the lifeless body of the woman.

“I rush here as I sense the presence of Red Force” He look away and turned his back to Kai “But I was too late” he said almost a whisper

“What happened?” Kai ask directly

Tao face him “The Red Force must have found out” he said

Kai gave him a questioning look “What do you mean?”

“The Red force must have sense the power of the tree of life” Tao pointing to the wooden box lying just a few feet away from the body of his mother

                Kai remembered that he opened the box just hours ago and left the house to meet Xiu and tell her about it.

“I shouldn’t have left” Kai looked serious as he grasped his fist tightly “I could have saved her” He said angrily

“I know the feeling” Tao said with empathy as his eyes glance to the woman and then met Kai’s eyes.

                Tao took a deep breathe then he focused his mind. Kai looked stunned as things move around him and seconds later everything looked like it was the last time he saw it except his mom was still lying on the floor not moving. Tao saw his expression and motioned to his side.

He placed his hand on Kai’s shoulder “I’m sorry” he said “That’s all I can do” he added apologetically

                Kai force to hold the tears as he kneels down to his mother’s side.

“I’m sorry” he whispered to her ears and hugged her as tears stream down his eyes. He let her go when he heard footsteps.

“You’re leaving?” Kai said as he stood up and look at Tao who turned his back to face him

“I need to be somewhere” He said directly “Just make up some lies like she had heart attack and you weren’t there when that happened” Tao answered his thoughts

Kai look at him “You should stop reading my mind” he commanded Tao.

Tao smirk “I wish I can” he said “but it’s too loud” he added in a teasing voice

Kai’s eyes widen “H-how”

Tao cut him “You can do the same” he grinned “It’s like an bonus to our power” He went on “We can talk through each other’s mind and read each other’s thought if the person  permits to” He paused when Kai raised his eyebrow. Tao chuckled “But in your case …well…you know practice makes it perfect” He said trying not to sound offensive. “We can meet some other time to talk about this” His voice was firm as he glance to Kai’s mother “You still have important matters to settle” with that Tao opened the door and left Kai hanging. Unsure of what to do. Where to start. How can he start?

 

                Two weeks after the funeral of his mom where some people from the condominium, his mom’s officemates, and Xiu came to bid farewell and to console him for his lost. Many didn’t believe how she died from a heart attack when she’s too healthy as what her officemates keep telling. They were too shock to hear what happened to Hye Soo, Kai’s mother. But Xiu knew because Kai told her what happened. She was the only person he knew there that he could trust.

“Hey Kai! Why aren’t you in school?” Xiu voice pop out from the answering machine. “I know you’re still in pain but you got to get out of that place somehow” Her voice was sincere with sadness coming from the way she cleared .

For the past weeks he has been avoiding Xiu, he was afraid the Red Force would know about her and putting her live in the same state as his mother was not what he wanted for. But no matter how much he tries to hide from her, he can’t. He always watches her at school, when she goes home and where ever she goes. Trying his best to at the distance just in case something happens to her he would be there. He doesn’t want to make the same mistake again. Not to Xiu, not to someone close to him. To his heart.

 Kai pressed another button “Kai-shi!” It was Krystal’s voice “How are you? I know it still hurts but please be okay, okay?” He could sense the tears from her voice “Call us when you need anything” Krystal said and another voice came out of the machine

“Bro take your time to mourn, I know the feeling” Taemin’s voice cracked and Kai know why. Taemin also lost his mom years ago but that was due to cancer “But be strong, were here for you” Taemin added in a sincere voice and the room became quiet.

                It’s been two weeks but Kai felt like it was yesterday. But coming back from his house after weeks of wandering around the streets.  After the funeral Tao talked to him and advise him to stay out of the house because that will be the first place Red Force will look for him. So for weeks he was either with Tao or Chen who is Tao’s friend which also is a guardian like him or he would teleport back and forth to Beijing and Seoul He had practice on how to do that trying to get hold of his power. He tried hard to erase to forget to be alive again. But either way he can’t seem to accept it, it all happened so fast he didn’t even thought of losing his mom like that. Even though he knew already she was her birth mother. Still he cares for her like she did for him. Despite the danger she knew when she accepted Kai in her life; she tried her best to be a mother the most amazing he could ever ask. He protected her but he left her all alone. He didn’t even get the chance to say how much he is thankful of her. How much he loves her. She saves him but he hadn’t done anything to save her life. Kai sobbed as he recalls the tragic day, that day when it was supposed to be a good one, because part of him already knew who he really was and part of him accepted the kind of life he has. But part of him now lost half of it because of that stupid truth. Reality hit him hard as he lie on the cold floor and wonders on the gloomy ceiling made by the light form the moon outside.

He woke up from the sound of his phone ringing and vibrating on the floor. He opens his eyes slowly getting a clear view of his surroundings as his eyes adjust to the bright light made by the sun that shines through the unopened glass window above him. He can’t remember how he manage to sleep, because for the past days he hadn’t been sleeping, he can’t close his eyes he was afraid. He push his self to a sit as his phone starts to ring again. Kai looked at the screen as it brightens. “Xiu” he muttered his voice a little sore from crying last night. He grabbed his phone from the floor and took a deep breath before answering it.

“Kai?” she said before Kai could say hello she cut him off. “How are you?” her voice was so soft and Kai sense the sadness coming from her.

“Good” He answered. Trying to convince him rather than her. But didn’t felt like it, more like bad because of his status now.

“You don’t sound good” She said sounding not too harsh. “You know…” she paused taking a slow deep breath, Kai could hear her breathing tense.

“I was wondering” Kai cut the silence “If I could meet you today” he said. He knows deep in his heart that he has been longing to see her face to face. Talk to her again and see her smile *that would be a great relief* He thought.

“Sure!” she exclaimed in excitement “I’ll just do some errands and I’ll meet you then” she added. Her voice sounded more alive than before.

He smiled to himself “I’ll see you at the park” He said

“Okay” Xiu agreed.

“I miss you” Kai said softly. His heart full regrets for avoiding her. But he had no choose, Red Force could be lurking out there and he can’t give him a chance to hurt her. Not Xiu.

Xiu wasn’t sure of what to say, she was confuse by how his voice sounded like missing her, but didn’t felt like that kind of word that it should be something more than that. “I miss you too” she manage to say her voice full of longing.

                They stayed quiet for a while before Kai said thank you and goodbye and Xiu hung up first. He stood up putting his phone on the kitchen counter and went to the bathroom and take a shower.

                Kai came to the park a little early than what they agreed. There weren’t much people around the park and he like that as he scroll at the concrete pavement it lead him to the human made water falls. It’s been a while since he came here. He had a picture together with his mom in this place when they had their first tour in the city. He felt his heart became heavy as he recall the times she spent with his mom. Those times were always the happiest memories he had.

                Minutes later Xiu came with a picnic basket. He smiled at her like it was the first time he saw her. Xiu smiled back, her brightest smile. The smile Kai has been longing to see.

“Hey” Kai said

“Hi” Xiu replied

                They stood there for some time feeling a little awkward. They’ve been going out before since that time Kai confessed to her about his identity. But it felt different that day. Maybe because it’s the first time they seen each other after weeks of separation. The thinking caught their attention and they chuckled at the awkward pose they were in. They didn’t notice how close they were to one another.

Kai cleared his throat like something was stuck “What’s with the basket?” He tried to say casual despite the tense he is feeling.

Xiu looked at the basket she was holding “Lunch” she said raising it a little.

“Lunch?” Kai uttered

“Have you lost track of time?” Xiu commented lightly “The teleporting must be the reason” she

                Kai just smiled innocently and he motioned her to walk. They were walking side by side and they reached the small garden like area of the park. They sat at one of the concrete bench on the corner and Xiu opened her picnic basket and placed each food on the concrete table in front of them. They begin to eat and talk at the same time reminiscing the past, she comforting Kai and then he changing the topic to “How school” “How she has been” “What she has been doing”. The tears turned into laughter making Kai feel a little less burden and his heart being happy at the presence of Xiu. That day it was just the two of them. Their hearts were full of joy seeing each other and being together was what their hearts has been longing too.