Chapter 8

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present time.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

“Jung Soojung, don’t you think you threw it too hard?” Han Seungyeon shouted out loud. She got ousted when Soojung’s ball bumped to her waist.

Soojung hissed, feeling extremely ridiculed. She didn’t even throw it that hard. It was simply a game. “Such a drama queen,” she mumbled.

“What?”

Soojung just smiled and fastened her ponytail. But before she could walk back to her position, some students gasped and she felt a hard bump to her head. Seungyeon just threw the ball back in revenge. Soojung turned around and the pissed Seungyeon appeared in front of her. Soojung took the ball.

“I’m really hoping that you were joking,” Soojung felt offended while trying to keep her voice low. The others were starting to look at them and she didn’t need more attention.

“No, I’m not,” Seungyeon raged. “Let me tell you, Jung, I’m so sick of your behavior. You’re rude. You’re so thick skinned. You always do as you please and you know what, we let you just because you are Sehun’s girlfriend. You’re awful. You’re stupid poor liar who couldn’t do anything without him. Do you think you can be cockier because you are meeting the brothers now? When will you realize that all people in this school hates you? Such a pathetic loner.”

“Seungyeon,” some students stopped her.

“Why?” she yelled back. “This chick should know that no one wants her in this school.”

“I want to slap you so much but I don’t want to wash my hand later,” Soojung smiled sarcastically, throwing the ball to the ground. Seungyeon already went too far with what she said. What a joke. “I’m out.”

Soojung’s head hurts. Really hurts because Seungyeon seemed to throw the ball with all strength she got. She needed to at least sit down. She turned around to leave the field but before she realized it, she already landed on the ground. She swore her knees and palms are going to be bruised.

“Soojung, are you okay?” Sehun was already kneeled beside her in instance.

“You’re bleeding,” Minho pointed at Soojung’s left knee. She bumped quite hard. “Can you stand?”

Instead of taking Minho’s helping hand, she reached for Sehun’s shoulder and let him helped her stood. Minho sighed. She rejected his presence over and over again. Even at times like this.

“Han Seungyeon,” Jongin scolded the girl in front of him. “What are you doing?”

Seungyeon looked terrified with what she did. She was angry but didn’t intend to push Soojung hard like that. She was shocked herself. “I… I didn’t…”

“You’re lucky Mr. Kim didn’t see it,” Jongin referred to their P.E teacher who was getting a call at the office just before.

“Are you seriously defending her? We’ve been friends since forever.”

“She is my fi— “

Soojung, who was getting even more pissed by Jongin’s defense, ignoring the pain from her knee and stepped forward. Surprisingly, she grabbed Jongin’s collar. “Don’t you dare to call my self your fiancée. Stay out of my business.”

“Let’s go to the infirmary, Soojung,” Sehun stopped her before turning to Seungyeon. ”Injuring someone isn’t right, no matter who your victim is. I don’t care about the reason, I’ll report it to the teacher. And no, I’m not saying this because of Soojung.”

Soojung jerked Jongin hard and left the field, accompanied by Sehun. Jongin stared at her back, startled by her attitude. She didn’t show her anger earlier, not even when Seungyeon mocked her. But when she grabbed his collar, it was his first time seeing her genuinely meant every hatred in her word. Her usual self might be cold, but before this, Jongin thought she just annoyed by him and Minho. Meanwhile, his brother just gave her blank stare.

Her legs and palms hurt, but what Seungyeon said was a deep stab. She got it twice today and both hurt just the same. Her presence was always a nuisance. She knew it. But the last thing she needed was somebody rubbed it to her face.

“No one is here,” Sehun opened the infirmary door and let her in. “A band-aid will do, right?”

“Yeah,” Soojung nodded and quickly sat on the bed, cleaning her wound. It was nothing deep, no need to exaggerate.

Sehun gave her a strip of band-aid. “It hurts a lot right?”

“Not you too,” she smiled bitterly. “I fell to the ground, not from a cliff.”

“Not that,” he laughed. “I meant, what Seungyeon said.”

Soojung looked up to her best friend then smiled again. If there was a person who could see right through her, it was Sehun. She nodded quietly. “Everything would never happen if I didn’t date Minho, don’t you think?"

Sehun closed the door, knowing that Soojung wouldn’t want anyone peeking at her sorrow. People always thought that she was a heartless brat, never cried nor laugh. They could judge all they wanted but he knew her the best. He took a seat beside her, holding her shoulders. “Cry, no one will see.”

She took a deep breath and talked in a trembling voice. “Am I really that bad?”

“I thought both of us agreed that we will never care about what people said,” he her shoulder with his thumb slightly. “But if you really need an answer, to me it will always be the same. They just couldn’t see your beauty,” Sehun moved his palms to her head, patting it so gently. “You’re my best friend. How bad can you be?”

She smiled gratefully. Sehun was her best man for life. He could never survive without him.

In her best friend’s hold, she cried.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The biology test was over and as expected, Minho could never take the first place spot. It was always between Soojung and Sehun. Minho wasn’t even in the top ten.

After the incident during their P.E., Soojung wasn’t in her class. Minho assum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter