Chapter 12

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“My family owns your school,” Jessica said. “Other than this bakery, several coffee and bubble tea shops.”

Minho was so surprised when he saw Soojung’s oldest sister— Jessica— rushed to the room where he and Sehun had waited for less than thirty minutes. They fought but Taemin and another staffs quickly separated them. The staffs told them that they would call the owner of the bakery and for the meantime, Minho and Sehun was waiting in the staff room.

He couldn’t decide which one was more shocking— the fact that Sehun was an orphan or what Jessica just told him.

Soojung was damn rich— if he wanted to rephrase it understatedly. She didn’t work at the coffee shop back then— she owned it. Her family ran a huge corporate in US and seemed to be investing well in several kinds of field as addition— like schools, restaurants, and charity organizations. The children had been helping since they were kids. Jessica and Yoona were helping with the restaurants, Kris with the company itself and Soojung with the charity stuff.

They told him that Soojung never liked the attention of being rich— it was always hard to meet genuine people in socialite world. Everyone was kind to her because of her wealthy status. That was why she liked charity thing— meeting the people who would saw her as Soojung, not Jung’s daughter. It all began when she met Sehun at the school for orphan more than ten years ago. Her family was helping his school to survive— they supported and managed it. And Sehun saved Soojung in another way, by being her first friend and made her living the normal life she always wanted.

“Do you know how kind she is for letting your friends stays at our school? After all those bullying they did to her? I swear I wanted to sue those kids when Soojung locked herself for days,” Jessica said sharply. She was resisting her anger. “If I knew that you are the cause oh her change, I would never send her to your party.”

Minho didn’t know what to say.

“When the first time I came to your school, she told me to wear my favorite shoes. I was curious but I wore it anyway. Guess what? Anyone was so kind to me, unlike what she had been telling me. Later that day, I realized that everyone had to be thinking that I’m rich. The shoes was from her— it was custom made and I couldn’t imagine how expensive it is,” Sehun explained. “She believes that I shouldn’t bother to explain. She let everyone thinks that way so I wouldn’t be bullied. If they knew that I’m an orphan, they would never even talk to me.”

He was angry by the fact that he never knew— Soojung never mentioned anything. But his anger was nowhere near his frustration and his shame. He had to admit that the old him and every single one of his friends would treat her differently if they knew about her family. How pain in the he and everyone had to be in her eyes. They basically proved to her once again that socialite world was full of fake people.

“But you don’t care, do you?” Minho chuckled as he leant weakly to the chair, trying to digest the story. If Sehun ever cared about befriending everyone, he would ditch Soojung long time ago.

Sehun just smiled meaningfully. Minho knew that Soojung had to be the reason why Sehun transferred to their school.

“Soojung was just trying to protect me from your stupid friends. I’m trying to do the same by being a school president,” Sehun told him. “And I let everyone thinks that she is my girlfriend. I think it works, since everyone isn’t bothering her as much as before.“

Minho immediately turned his head to Sehun. He couldn’t believe what Sehun just said. So basically, Sehun told him that everything he knew— or everyone knew— about Soojung was just their assumption. Soojung was playing with their stupid way of thought.

“You might feel deceived,” Jessica said. “But you had to admit that what you and your friends did was worse. You’re a coward, Minho.”

Minho knew it, but he didn’t know what to say. Instead, he stood up and bowed deeply, “I should’ve treat her better, I’m sorry.”

He was having a mental breakdown.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Sea!” Sehun shouted in joy as he raised his hands to the air.

“You’re that happy?” Soojung smiled at his fool friend.

They were lying on the deck lazily with feet hanging on the edge, avoiding the other students who were happily playing at the beach. Finally, they were at their last school trip— an informal celebration to their upcoming graduation. After Japan and Paris two years in a row, the school board chose this beautiful place for its students.

“Of course, it’s Busan Sea,” Sehun laughed. “But seriously, you should see everyone’s faces. They must be thought that it would be Maldives or something.”

Soojung could only smile when she heard that. When her family heard that she would be going to the trip, they changed the destination to Busan during the last minute. Busan was closer than any other country out there so it wouldn’t take a lot of time for them to get there if something happened to their youngest. Besides, Soojung loved Busan. That was where Sehun’s orphanage was.

“It’s always nice here, isn’t it?” Soojung sat up and closed her eyes, treating herself with salty breeze.

“Thanks, Soojung,” Sehun ruffled her hair playfully. He knew that her family chose Busan for him. “For this, and everything.”

“Yah,” she kicked his leg and tried to smooth her hair. But her annoyed face vanished immediately. “You can visit your headmaster after this trip.”

“Good idea,” Sehun smiled. His headmaster was the one who took care of him since they were kids— like a mother to him.

“Your phone’s ringing,” Soojung took a black one beside her and give it to him.

Sehun pulled his leg from the edge and stood up, leaving Soojung alone. Soojung let him be and waited patiently, swinging her feet back and forth. She checked her phone too and saw few messages from her siblings— asking her if she was enjoying the trip. What an overprotective family.

“Soojung, mom is sick,” Sehun ducked beside her. “I mean my mom— headmaster. I think I need to go there.”

“Then you should,” Soojung said wor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter