Chapter 19

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho was packing his backpack as he heard a loud banging on his front door. He just told Taemin that he didn’t want to have lunch because he didn’t want to see Soojung. That girl had told him constantly that she didn’t want to have anything to do with him but yet he’d been so stubborn, been telling himself that they were doing better. But ever since that movie night, clearly he was wrong. He needed to stop beating himself and just let her go.

Then why Taemin came back? Did he forget something?

He turned the knob and saw Soojung standing angrily. Tears were b in her eyes. And she looked upset. “What happened?”

“No,” Soojung barged in to his flat before he could stop her. “You tell me what happened!”

Minho closed the door. “I’m not following.”

“You broke my heart years ago, you’ve been avoiding me for weeks and now, you told Jongin I cheated on you? What the hell, Minho!”

“Are we going to have that talk now?”

“Hell yeah,” Soojung yelled. “Let’s hear your newest bull!”

Minho rubbed his temple, feeling tired immediately.

“Is that why you’ve been avoiding me? Because you were busy telling people that I cheated on you?”

“You want me to leave you alone, remember?” Minho gritted his teeth. “I’m just doing you a favor.”

“You didn’t care about that before, why now?”

“Because I’m tired of this game! I kept apologizing, laying my heart to you and you just kept stomping on it like a dirt!” he yelled back. “I was wrong, I know. I’ve been apologizing to you, trying to amend my self. But apparently, even an like me has his limit. I tried, Soojung. For years. If you choose to hate me, then so be it. I don’t care anymore.”

He walked past her, reaching for a jacket behind her. Then he settled on the couch, continuing his packing. “I’m going to move to different building after the break. Let’s hope that we won’t see each other more than necessary.

Wasn’t that what she wanted all this time? To finally get him off her life? Then why didn’t she feel… happy?

This was really confusing.

“Just tell me where this cheating fiasco came from,” Soojung asked as she watched him pacing throughout the flat, collecting his stuff.

“Seriously?” Minho stopped to look at her. “Movie date— the last date before we broke up. Kang Minhyuk. Does it ring any bell to you?”

 

These girls had perfectly ruined his day.

Minho was standing in front of the restroom, waiting for his girlfriend. His heart was beating fast— happy. They were on a movie date and Soojung said she wanted to tell him something— it had to be something good because she was all happy today. But he accidentally bumped into Suzy and Sulli, and they were talking bad about Soojung.

Minho was raised by manner, but even him wanted to punch those girls for badmouthing Soojung. He started to question his decition to hide their relationship.

Minho’s heart sank as he saw Soojung ran behind the girls’ back. She covered her face with her scarf and Minho swore that he heard her sobs. Soojung overheard everything. This was not good.

“Say anything bad about her again, you’ll regret it,” Minho warned them. Leaving the girls no chance to talk back, he ran trough the hallway— toward the exit door Soojung would likely go. He realized that the way he handled things had been wrong. Hiding or not, people wouldn’t stop badmouthing her. What a terrible idea and it took him this long to realize it.

So this was what was going to happen: they’d talk. He’d tell her to date him openly. He’d tell everyone after this and those with problem could go to the hell. He’d protect her.

But what about Japan? What about the girl his parent had been gushing about?

They’d go long distance. They could make it work. And the girl could go with Jongin. He’d tell his parent and they’d listen.

Problem solved. Now he only needed her to listen.

With slightly lighter heart, he ran faster. Had Soojung left the movie yet? If so, she should be at the bus stop or she—

He stopped abruptly at the sight of her. She was talking with her back facing him. With a boy.

“So, you know I’ve been asking you about the movie,” the boy ruffled his hair in a flirty way. “How do you think about this Sunday?”

“Sure,” Soojung answered almost immediately.

“I’ll fetch you at seven? Is that okay?”

He could see her nodding.

“God, it’s nervewracking,” the boy smiled, feeling relief. “It’s not the first time, but it always feels like that.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter