Chapter 14

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let our hearts remember him as a smart student, a kind school mates and a school president who contributed a lot of great things for this school. Let our hearts remembers him: Oh Sehun.”

The headmaster’s speech still could be heard throughout the school as Soojung walked herself out from the hall— ahead from her schoolmates. Today was their graduation day and the school decided to build a memorial for Sehun in the hall. Soon after the ceremony ended, everyone would lining up to pray and put the flower at his memorial. Then after that, they would have their last high school moment— farewell with their friends.

She didn’t need to be there. She didn’t need to say goodbye to anyone because her only friend wasn’t there. She didn’t want to put the flower in the hall too— it wasn’t the place that reminded her of Sehun the most.

The corridor was empty since everyone was still in the hall. It really felt like a long time ago since she went here even though she only skipped school for one or two weeks. She wouldn’t miss high school— not after everything that had happened.

Slowly, she pushed the door of her classroom and dragged her feet inside. She walked to the very back and put a white chrysanthemum on Sehun’s desk. His desk was full of handwriting from their classmates. They wrote that they missed him, some of them wrote their apologies and some of them left their thanks. Some of the teachers even left messages on his desk too. Sehun was indeed a good guy.

 She sat on her own desk and turned away. She was glad that she skipped the school these days. She couldn’t imagine sitting there without Sehun. She couldn’t imagine spending her days beside that empty seat— only to remind her that the owner had gone. After a long dazed in silence, she stood up and moved to his seat. Her hands wandered under his table and grabbed everything she could found. There were only two notebooks and a pencil— the one that he always lent her. She quickly looked away as she met the familiarity of his handwriting. Then she looked up to the blackboard— afraid that she would break down if she kept on looking at his book.

She laid her head on his desk as if it could make her feel better. This would be the last time she came here. She wouldn’t miss the classes, but she would surely miss that desk, especially the owner.

How long she sat there alone, she didn’t know. The school speaker had gone quiet and the next thing she realized was footsteps throughout the corridors— the ceremony was finished. She regretted that she didn’t go out sooner as dozens of students came inside— wanting to put the flower on Sehun’s desk just like she did. Ignoring each and every one of them, she tried to walk out.

“Soojung,” someone called her.

Soojung turned her head and saw Seungyeon and her gang was standing at the other door. No wonder everyone immediately went so quiet.

“I just,” Seungyeon took few steps closer when Soojung didn’t break the silence. “I just want to say sorry. I— we heard everything and we’re kind of graduating so I thought—“

“Heard about what?” Soojung cut her.

“I mean, we misunderstood,” Suzy tried to explain. “We heard everything about your family from headmaster. I mean, if you just said that you are that Jung and headmaster is your uncle, we could easily be friends, you know?”

“What was that supposed to mean?” Soojung felt offended. She knew where this was going.

“We wouldn’t against you to date Sehun and Minho, if we knew who you are,” Sulli added. “We wouldn’t— shouldn’t fight all the time, now that I know why they attached to you.”

“You are apologizing for mistaken my poverty, I get it,” Soojung said coldly.

“Nah, so can we be friends?” Sulli smiled. “Now that you’re alone, you can hang out with us. We’re going to see each other a lot at parties, right?”

“Keep dreaming,” Soojung was about to go out when someone held her hand.

“Come on, Soojung. If it were not for you, Sehun would be a part of my circle. He would be worried if he see you—“

“Hey, Suzy,” Minho broke the contact between the two girls. He and Jongin just arrived from the hall. “Stop bothering her.”

“Don’t talk like you knew Sehun better than her,” Jongin said.

“But I was just...”

Soojung couldn’t take it anymore. She quickly walked out from the room, leaving those who were arguing inside. She didn’t care if the other students were whispering as she walked pass them.

They only apologized because they knew the truth about her family. They didn’t feel sorry for the pain they gave her— they felt sorry for bullying someone so rich. She got that. But even more than that, they just mentioned Sehun’s name like some random name. They accused him as someone like them— who wanted to be with her just because she was wealthy. Sehun was nothing like them. They really knew how to piss her off.

Her anger vanished immediately as she realized where her feet unconsciously brought her. The only place she sought for comfort. The place she swore she would never visit again because she knew it would crumble the wall she tried so hard to build.

It was the school rooftop— her and Sehun’s little heaven.

And her heart sank so deep. No one could save her anymore.

“This is your fault,” she muttered to no one. “This won’t happen if you didn’t leave me alone, you punk.”

Tears were b, those she wanted to bury so deeply.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter