Chapter 6

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho stood up stiffly next to the traffic light, waiting for the red to be green nervously. His left hand was tucked inside his pocket deeply, protecting it from the cold winter wind. As his eyes locked to the coffee shop across the street, his right hand was playing with the hem of his scarf.

When his count reached thirty, the light turned green and he quickly made his way passed the cars. The more step he took, the more anxiety he felt. Happiness and nervousness, he didn’t know which one was the dominating one. It had always been like this for the past weeks, ever since he met her at the church coincidentally.

Though he knew that he would come inside in less than ten seconds, he couldn’t help but glancing at the glasses just to see if she was here, as usual. That long hair, dark brown eyes and skinny figure was nowhere to be found. His heart sank uninvitedly as he held the door handle, disappointed.

“Excuse me,” someone behind him trying to get in. “Ah, it’s Minho again.”

Minho’s lips formed a smile automatically when he saw the one he had been looking for.

She was Jung Soojung, his secret admirer at elementary school. During their last day of third year, he still remembered receiving a love letter from her. Before he could even read it, she was gone, moving with her family out of the city.

Then she came back, just weeks ago, when he saw her at the church, playing piano for the choir. She grown up prettily and when he dared himself to greet her, she still remembered him, fortunately. He felt it again, as strong and as deep as teenagers could feel. He just wasn’t expecting the same heart-beating-faster as he saw her again, because she never knew that she was his first childhood crush too.

That feeling led him to this coffee shop almost everyday, a place where she took a part time job. He would buy a cup of warm coffee and a slice of cake as an excuse for sitting at the table for hours just to see her moving around, serving the customers. The happiest time for him was when the shop wasn’t that packed, and she would sit with him and talk.

She was a good friend, unlike anything he could get in his high school or socialite world. She was a commoner. She was a good listener. She gave him the most normal life he could ever get. She gave him the most heart fluttering moment he could ever experience. Childhood crush made him drew in, but her heart made him stay.

And he wished she realized his feeling because he made it seemed too obvious for her.

“I’ll get you your usual,” Soojung smiled and head to the counter. Minho muttered a thanks and quickly made his way to the nearest couch. There weren’t a lot of people in the shop. Good.

“How much is it?” Minho was about to take out some bill when Soojung served his Americano and cheesecake on the table.

“No, don’t. It’s on me,” she told him.

He told her to sit in front of him. “Is there a good news that I can hear?”

“Nothing,” she shrugged. “Just… finally I found a school that’d l let me enrolled.”

“Really?” Minho leant forward. He was genuinely happy for her. It was hard to change school in the middle of semester like now. “Which one is it?”

She hesitated, but Minho would know sooner or later anyway. “Yours. I supposed to go there in the first place and they kindly let me in despite of my cancellation.”

Minho knew it too. During the entrance exam result, he saw her name as the first place between everyone who enrolled. He couldn’t confirm whether it was the Soojung he knew or not, because she never came. She told him she was still at her old hometown at that time. “I want to hug you right now if there was no table in between,” Minho smiled. “Congrats.”

“You doesn’t seem entirely happy right now,” she accused.

Minho didn’t say anything for some moment. “You know how things at my school works. If they knew that you’re this close with me, they will start questioning… and most probably pick on you. It might be the best if we don’t know each other… for them. I’m just worried, I guess.” 

Soojung knew about it too. Minho always told her how frustrating the social hierarchy at his school was. But there was something more interesting than that. “So I’m this close to you,” she teased. “So you’re worried about me.”

“Hey,” he embarrassed. “That’s not what we’re talking now. Can you be more cautious about yourself?”

“Don’t worry, Minho,” Soojung’s smile barely reached her ears. “Then I guess we don’t know each other starting today.”

“I’m just trying to protect you,” he added hastily. He didn’t want her to misunderstand. “It’s only at school and I don’t want you to get hu-“

“I know,” she sincerely told him. “Thank you.”

When her sweet smile disappeared, she turned her head to the window and dazed off as the first snowflakes of the year finally poured down. “We should make a wish,” she mumbled and closed her eyes.

He did the same thing.

“What are you wishing?” Soojung watched Minho as he solemnly praying.

“I wish you’ll agree to what I’m about to ask you.”

She giggled. “What is it?”

Minho finally opened his eyes and leant forward. “Do you want to be my girlfriend?”

She dazed. But she knew this moment w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter