Chapter 18

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been days since the accident at the movie theatre. After that, Minho and Soojung met during lunch as usual but they never talked about it. They never talked about anything out of ordinary. And Soojung felt like Minho was ignoring her.

“Taem, do you bring my book?” Minho walked toward their usual table but not like the other day, he didn’t take a seat.

Taemin opened his backpack and fished for a book. He gave it to Minho.

“You’re not eating with us?” Seulgi asked nonchalantly.

“No, I’ll eat with my study group. We have group assignment,” he took the book and walked away. “Later, guys.”

It happened for almost two weeks and lately Minho didn’t bother to tell his friends at all. He was not only missing from their lunch break, but he was also missing from their hang out and he was even away during the weekend. Sometimes they would walk past each other accidentally— at library or dorm hallway. All the time he never said anything but hello.

With classes, assignment and little time to rest, Soojung didn’t think too much about that at first. As a medical student, she was busy to death that she didn’t have time to even think about anything else— not until a stormy night came.

It was the night before mid-term break. Their exams were over and she was ready to go home. It was hard to sleep alone with thunder blaring outside. Even with earphone on, she couldn’t help but rolling on her bed. It had been a long time since she couldn’t sleep like this. She just realized that Minho always be with her at times like this.

She hated that she had to felt like this. And she hated to admit that she was attached to him.

When she decided that she would never fell asleep, she walked toward her door and almost bumped into Seulgi. She was holding her left hand up.

“I was about to knock your door,” she said.

“I can see that,” Soojung said, unconsciously flinching when lightning through the window. “What’s wrong?”

“Are you sleeping?” Seulgi looked past her shoulder, Soojung’s light was still on. She raised her brows, “You couldn’t, right?”

“Seulgi, I—“

“You know I’ve been your roommates long enough to notice that you seem to have trouble sleeping some nights. Then I notice that Minho always comes here at specific nights, like when there is heavy rain— like tonight.” Seulgi cut her hurriedly. “And I was kind of putting those together and I think you’re kind of… I don’t know how t put it… scared of thunder? Or lightning?”

Soojung sighed and rubbed her temple, too tired to make some sensible excuses. If they were going to continue to be roommates, Seulgi would find out sooner or later anyway. “Yes, I have phobia.”

“That bad?” Seulgi asked waryly.

Soojung could only nodded.

“Then what the hell is Minho doing?” Seulgi unexpectedly went furious. She grabbed her pphone from the couch and quickly typed something. “I asked him to come but he said he wouldn’t come anymore.”

“He said that?” Soojung asked bitterly. He was totally ignoring her.

Seulgi stopped pacing, noticing bitterness in Soojung’s voice. “It didn’t come out right. When I noticed your sleeping trouble, I asked him— no, I forced him to tell me. I swear he was so tight lip about that. I ranted for almost half an hour and he still didn’t want to tell me.”

“But he told you anyway, right? You knew.”

“No, he didn’t, actually,” Seulgi rolled her eyes. “He just said ‘I’m not going to come anymore, so please take care of her on the night like this’. I quoted him. He kind of confirmed it, but he never told.”

So he didn’t want to talk to her, didn’t want to come anymore, totally ignoring her but still keeping her little secret? What the hell is he playing?

“So what about movie night? We can lay blanket and sleep together,” Seulgi suggested.

Soojung looked at her eyes, searching. But Seulgi showed her nothing but sincerity. Seulgi asked because she was worried and because she wanted to— not because she found Soojung pitiful or any bull like that.

So Soojung gave Seulgi something that she didn’t thought she would ever give anyone anymore— she hugged Seulgi.

Oh Sehun, I finally made a friend.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Was that the last of it?” Jongin and Taemin took a last look at the girls’s flat. Mid-term break was finally here and they all were planning to load their belonging to the car and have brunch together before going home.

“Yes, it was,” Seulgi slumped herself on the couch, feeling tired after climbing stairs.

“Let’s go get your coffee,” Jongin glanced at Soojung.

She didn’t even realize that she hadn’t had her usual caffeine with busy morning and all. Now she wanted a cup of ice coffee. She nodded.

“You guys in?” Jongin asked the othe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter