Chapter 1

Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you enjoy the food, Soojung?”

Jongin heard his mom asked the girl who sat right in front of him. She was Jung Soojung, or the name she preferred being called as, Krystal. She was the girl that his parents always bragged as their perfect bride.

Their, meant him and his stepbrother Minho. They had lived in Tokyo since last year and decided to move back to Seoul three weeks ago. It was all business matter. Jongin and Minho didn’t mind though. By moving back to Seoul, they got their old life back. They got their old school and their old friends. It was a win-win thing.

Krystal nodded and wiped her lips so elegantly before she replied, “It’s very delicious, Aunty.”

This Soojung girl apparently close to his parents, judging from the way they talked to each other. His mom just told her to spend her weekends in their house, because she refused to come everyday. From what he heard, Soojung didn’t live with her parents. She was living with her sisters Yoona and Jessica, while her parents lived in States with the oldest one, Kris. And because of that too, he and Minho would fetch her from home started tomorrow. That was just how much his parents loved her.

To be honest, Jongin didn’t quite get that. Soojung had a chic aura, pretty face, long wavy jet-black hair, average height and slim figure. She was simply beautiful. But if his parents wanted the most beautiful one, they could get Bae Suzy or Choi Sulli from their school. They were more popular with boys and even did some modeling job.

Jung Soojung was never a popular type. She wasn’t the bullied weak girl or those weird nerds. She just didn’t seem to like the spotlight because Jongin honestly thought she could take Suzy’s and Jinri’s throne if she tried. He and Minho had been investigating her ever since his parents told them about this engagement thing. They learned that she was a daughter of an entertainment company, probably just a small one since her wealth was pretty unknown in their school. She was smart and exceptional in sports, but they also noticed that she didn’t quite get along with the rest of students. He heard about some rumors of her being too honest, foul-mouthed and not so kind. So people didn’t really want to get attached, except for one person, Oh Sehun.

Oh Sehun was their school president, so he was the honorary student. He was smart, tall, good looking, and from what they heard, he was exceptionally rich too. He was mysterious and slightly unapproachable, the types that girls easily fall for. Students said that Oh Sehun only had one flaw: Jung Soojung beside him. He could get anyone better. It was very rare to see him without Soojung on his side. Like how rare it was, seeing Minho without Jongin, and vice versa.

On the other hand, Minho and Jongin was a part of school socialite. They adapted really well with their school prestigious culture. They mingle well with those overly rich friends, but they made sure to draw some line in between. They were the observer of stupid people who busied judging each other by their wealth, appearance or fame. They didn’t do that.

“Dessert, Soojung?” Minho tried to offer her a pudding.

“No, thanks,” Krystal smiled, liked she used to do a year ago.

Today wasn’t the first time they met each other face to face like this. His parents introduced Krystal before they moved to Tokyo, during Minho’s and his birthday party. He almost didn’t notice her when he saw her at school two weeks ago. Gone that bubbly, lively girl he saw last year. She changed into a cold, loner girl. She didn’t even smile and talked nicely anymore. He didn’t know her well, but it was intriguing to see a girl who went through such a drastic changed. And she definitely put an act in front of his parents because she was smiling all the time.

“Do you guys stay in the same class?” his dad asked.

“No,” Minho shook his head. “Only at P.E class.”

“Really?” his dad took a sip of his juice. “You should greet him, Soojung.”

“I don’t really remember his face,” Soojung smiled. “It’s been a year or so.”

“I saw you pretty often too,” Jongin added, like meeting her was something worth to brag about. “Your high jump during P.E was great.”

“Thanks,” Soojung smiled again.

“Talk some more and get to know each other,” his mom suggested. “We’ll be in the living room if you need us, dear.”

Soojung nodded politely as the boys’ parents stood up and left them alone. The moment they were out of her sight, she changed her smile to a straight line, expressionless and unreadable. Seeing the smile in Minho’s face, Jongin understood that Minho was up to whatever his parents wanted. They would play along and see what happened later.

“How are you, Soojung?” Minho broke the silence.

“Fine,” she replied shortly, without smiled and without thanks. Not even asked him back.

“Contrary to us, you doesn’t look happy with this reunion,” Jongin smiled.

She looked at him for two seconds, judging. “We don’t even know each other that much. Stop pretending to be care about what’s happening here.”

“Are you angry?” Jongin laughed, amused.

She r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter