Chapter 10

Your reminiscences

Angstiest chapter I've ever written. D: 

Chapter 10:

Dongwan dropped the phone as he fixed his eyes to the others and frowned. Eric moved behind the couch and advanced the witty guy, giving him a stare that only meant that he had a question. Not knowing what so say Dongwan shrugged and gulped, looking at the emptiness. Hyesung breathed in heavily as his hands grasped the fabric of his shirt tighter.

 

“Who was it?” Eric asked.

 

“Minwoo.” Dongwan replied quickly.

 

“What did he say?” Eric continued.

 

Dongwan gulped again as he hurriedly took the phone from the floor and lifted it onto his ear only to hear fighting sounds and occasional groaning by the man he knew was Minwoo. Then, after something had shattered, the phone beeped and turned quiet.

 

Dongwan swallowed the lump in his throat as he stammered, “H-h-he said…nothing. He…he…is…is…in danger.”

 

“WHERE IS HE!?” Eric yelled.

 

Dongwan flinched. “The caller id was unknown!” he exclaimed. “E-E-Eric ah!” he suddenly whined.

 

“What?” The leader snapped.

 

Andy switched off the television as he told Junjin and Hyesung to move with him next to the leader and Dongwan. The appalled silence between the remaining members thickened.

 

“What are we going to do now?” Dongwan questioned. “We have to find Minwoo! WE HAVE TO FIND HIM! I WANT MINWOO NEXT TO ME SAFE AND SOUND!”

 

The men startled when the always-so-tranquil-and-laughing Dongwan shouted at them, knuckles getting white as his fingers pressed the phone so tightly that it almost broke apart. Eric furrowed his eyebrows, lifting his hands onto his face, rubbing off the fear he got every time the thought of Minwoo returning alone from the practice room came to his mind. Hyesung and Junjin tried to ponder everything else but the horrible things and Andy bit his lower lip, trying to come up with something that brought hope to the others. 

 

“Dongwan ah,” Hyesung said as he took the said man’s hand into his and squeezed it. “Calm down. We can’t be upset now. You have to—“

 

“I CAN’T CALM DOWN! I CAN’T!” Dongwan screamed. “MINWOO IS IN DANGER! HE IS HURT! I WANT HIM NEXT TO ME SAFELY! I WANT HIM BACK! I WANT HIM HERE!”

 

“Hyung,” Andy said. “We can’t do anything if the id was unknown.” He added carefully.

 

Dongwan’s glare made him silent. “Nothing’s impossible. We need to find out where Minwoo is. He needs to be fine. He needs to be here. He needs to be here to take care of me! He needs to be next to me laughing!”

 

Junjin harrumphed. “You know,” he said. “There’s this guy…don’t ask how I know, but he once helped me with an unknown number. I have his number and he kinda owes me a favor so…calling him isn’t a task.” He spoke.

 

Dongwan marched towards the tallest member as he clasped his hands onto his collar and pulled him towards him, breathing heavy and fast. “Call this dude immediately or I will kill you.”

 

 

Minwoo tossed his head back and forth. His eyes were burning and heavy and he wasn’t even sure whether he was able to open them at all. The floor he was lying on was ice cold and rock hard and his body was too slow to understand that it wasn’t in a good shape. Though his hands and legs were free, he couldn’t move them. Minwoo breathed in and it painfully ragged as he finally opened his eyes and a tear fell from it.

 

“Oppa,” a voice said.

 

“Yeah?” another one answered.

 

“Is he going to be fine?” the woman’s voice asked.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

Minwoo’s heart would have skipped a beat if it hadn’t beaten that slowly already.

 

“If he hadn’t managed to make that call, he’d be better.” The woman’s voice mumbled. “Who did he even call to?”

 

“I checked the number.” The male voice spoke sharply. “To Dongwan.”

 

Minwoo couldn’t see the people’s faces but he could sense that that woman had an angry frown between her eyebrows. He had seen that frown on her face several times.

 

“That fickle broke my relationship with Minwoo oppa,” the woman said murderously. “A bastard like him won…everything I did was for nothing.”

 

“Amy ya,” the man said. “Isn’t Dongwan the one you should be hurting?”

 

Minwoo’s stomach twirled painfully at that comment. He let out a strangled growl and tried to move his fingers when Amy moved next to him and looked down at him, smirking despicably.

 

“If I can’t have oppa, Dongwan oppa won’t either.” She squatted down and trailed her hand on the man’s cheek. “Why don’t you just die? Isn’t that what you wanted? If you died, Dongwan oppa would forget everything you did to him.” She whispered evilly.

 

Minwoo bit his blood covered lip, eyes sharply staring at the woman.

 

“Just die oppa.” She murmured. “Do it for Dongwan.”

 

 

Don’t die, don’t die, I don’t want you to die. Please, don’t die. Dongwan thought while his hand creased the leather seat in Eric’s car.

 

Junjin had contacted the man who owed him a favor, and he had promised to help them. Dongwan tried his best to hold his tears inside, knowing that crying didn’t help him at all. Eric wasn’t calm though he said he was. His hands held the steering wheel like it had been someone he truly hated while his eyes stared at the road so madly that no one wanted to break that concentration.

 

Andy looked out of the window. “Who do you think is doing this to him?” he interrogated.

 

“Does it matter?” Junjin hissed.

 

“Tsk…like you didn’t give a damn.” Andy responded crossly. “I surely wanna know who would do this to our member. No one messes with my family. So if she or he kills my hyung, I’ll kill him or her. I wouldn’t think twice. I’d just strike hard.”

 

Everyone looked at the maknae.

 

“What?” he questioned innocently. “Wouldn’t you do it?”

 

Dongwan had to admit that he agreed with Andy. Whoever had kidnapped Minwoo and then had done whatever to him, deserved a horrendous punishment.

 

“So you’d retaliate?” Hyesung asked shocked.

 

Andy nodded. “I’m not afraid to kill anyone who hurts my family.”

 

“I agree.” said Dongwan from the front seat. “I’d kill anyone who hurts you guys. I wouldn’t feel pity…at all.”

 

Eric’s teeth dug to his cheeks as he nodded heavily. “Yeah,” he muttered. “Me too.”

 

 

Minwoo couldn’t describe how much in pain his body was right now. Thinking of Dongwan made it sting even more. His brain was throbbing and the muscles all around his body were torrid. His heartbeat had diminished even more and he just waited the death. Breathing had gotten difficult and whenever that man kicked him, Minwoo felt how his life got shorter by years.

 

But he was ready.

 

What Amy said was true.

 

He dying would ease the pain in Dongwan. That man would forget him.

 

“W-w-w-Wan ah,” Minwoo murmured coarsely, feeling how the blood flooded from his mouth.

 

 Making him gag, Minwoo coughed all the surplus amount of blood out of his mouth as he turned his head towards the small window and saw the crescent moon shining against the dark background. He had no idea where he was, but that sight made him smile and feel relaxed.

 

And before he noticed, he was crying.

 

Telling everything to Amy was wrong.

 

Now Minwoo knew it.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said before he passed out.

 

 

“Hyung,” Junjin said smiling when a tall and strong looking guy opened the door. The man nodded meaningfully, before he looked around and let the five men enter the decayed apartment somewhere in Seoul.

 

“I didn’t expect you to come so soon,” the man said seriously.

 

Junjin rubbed his neck awkwardly. “Sorry, but we kinda were in a hurry.”

 

The tall and strong man smiled. “What can I do for you Junjin? You want me to pay what I owe to you?” he began to dig his pockets for money.

 

Junjin hurried to him and caught his wrists. “No! You don’t have to pay money.” He mumbled. “All we need is help with a number.”

 

The man blinked his eyes but nodded his head towards the desk that was at the end of the room. “Sit down.” He commanded.

 

Dongwan crossed his arms and stood while others sat down.

 

“What do you want then?” The stranger asked.

 

“Sang Woo hyung,” Junjin called. “Minwoo is missing.”

 

Sang Woo’s eyes widened.

 

“And he called us…” Junjin turned to look at Dongwan. “But the number was unknown.” He added. “Could you help us?”

 

Sang Woo glanced at Dongwan. “Was it you who he called to?”

 

Dongwan nodded and gave the phone to the man. Sang Woo scrutinized it couple of minutes. The remaining Shinhwa members glanced at the clock in turns while the pointers kept moving towards the midnight as the new acquaintance did something with his hands. Dongwan tightened his grip around his arms when finally Sang Woo got up from the chair and passed the phone to the owner.

 

“Do you know the abandoned dock outside Seoul?” he interrogated.

 

“Yeah,” Eric replied.

 

“The call came from there.” Sang Woo explained. “ID of the caller is Baek Do Hoon.”

 

Dongwan didn’t even wait for the others as he stormed out of the apartment and ran to the parking lot, turning on the car while Eric, Hyesung, Junjin and Andy sprang after him and practically jumped into the car.

 

“We have no time.” Dongwan said seriously. “Minwoo can’t wait anymore.”

 

 

Amy opened the creaky door of a shipping container and walked towards the motionless corpse that lied under a small and tiny window. She stopped right next to Minwoo’s leg as she kicked the left leg a bit and got nothing as an answer from the main dancer of Shinhwa. A content smile appeared onto her face.

 

“Oppa,” she said while kneeling down. “I’m happy you were able to leave in silence.”

 

Amy grabbed Minwoo’s arms and turned him onto his back, feeling how the body was already cold. The door creaked behind her again and a tall dude entered, walking next to her.

 

“Is he…?”

 

“Yeah,”

 

“What are we going to do now?” He asked.

 

"Let's to get that shovel from your cellar and hit him once more,” she responded. “We need to be sure before we bury him.”

…   

Dongwan didn’t care about how badly he was driving. It was midnight so no one was on the road anymore, excluding couple of animals that had luckily watched out raging Dongwan. Eric stared at the man through his sideview while the others just were quiet. Dongwan hit the pedal and the car just moved faster and faster forward.

 

“We’re there soon.” Andy announced.

 

“Good,” Dongwan scoffed.

 

Hyesung bit his lip, “What if we get there too late?”

 

Dongwan didn’t want to think that.

 

“Then…then…” Eric stuttered. “Then we’ll say the best goodbyes to Minwoo and…hold him the best funeral. He deserves them.”

 

Junjin’s lower lip quivered.

 

“He won’t be dead.” Dongwan said more to him than to the others. “He isn’t…dead.”

 

Though he said it determined, everyone felt doubtful.

 

 

When they saw the abandoned dock and stopped the car, Dongwan heaved a sigh. He turned to look at the others and when they nodded, they got off the car and began to advance the shipping containers. Hyesung and Eric went to the right while Dongwan, Junjin and Andy turned to the left.

 

Time passed and the sunrise switched colors from dark blue to slightly yellowish purple when finally Hyesung walked solemnly towards them and announced that they had found the right container.

 

Practically running, Dongwan pulled properly open the heavy door when he met Eric and Minwoo who was lying on the cold floor. A relieved gasp escaped from his mouth when Eric bowed his head and said, “We were late Wan ah,”

 

“W-w-what?”

 

“We were late.” Eric repeated. “He’s dead…Minwoo’s…dead.”

 

Andy, Junjin and Hyesung were behind Dongwan as he ran towards the two and kneeled down, hands cupping Minwoo’s pale face.

 

He didn’t breathe.

 

He didn’t move.

 

He was cold.

 

He was…

 

“No, Minwoo.” Dongwan shook his head as the tears drained from his eyes. “No, no, no…”

 

Dongwan curled his arms around the motionless, cold corpse that’s whole body was covered in bruises and wounds, while Eric hid his face and sobbed for the loss of his best friend. Hyesung gasped and lifted his hand onto his lips while Andy’s expressionless face was something too terrible for Junjin who had been crying for hours already.

 

Dongwan sniffed as he placed the main dancer to the floor again. Thinking for a minute, Dongwan pressed his lips onto Minwoo’s forehead, then onto his eyes and lastly onto his lips. When he was giving the last kiss onto the tranquil-as-if-sleeping face, someone groaned painfully. Eric lifted his glowing eyes to Hyesung who shook his head, gazing at the maknae’s who startled. Dongwan retreated from Minwoo when he felt eyelashes tickling his chin and exhaled beautifully when he saw Minwoo looking at him in a state of absolute relief, misbelief and remorse.

 

When the man was about to open his mouth, car screeching against the road was heard and two doors got shut at once. Dongwan glanced at Minwoo then at Eric and the others.

 

“Do Hoon,” they said in unison.    


   

Lol my sister told me to end it to the part where Eric said 'He's dead...' but I couldn't....I seriously considered it and I was ready to do it but eventually couldn't....I can't do that to me or to you.