Sort of a Hero

Voice

 

On the next day, while Sungmin was alone at school, she found herself being surrounded by a group of girls. It was not a surprise to see Seohyun as the leader.

 

“So, I heard.” Seohyun started, glaring at her, “Kyu send you home yesterday.” She continues sarcastically, “You must feel really happy, right?”

 

Sungmin remained silent as Seohyun speaks and it angered her even more.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything, !!” Seohyun enraged, pulled Sungmin’s hair harshly.

 

Sungmin groaned painfully. She tried to run away from there but, she was tightly held by the other two girls. Hopelessly, Sungmin can’t do anything to stop it as Seohyun and the gang started beating her like a trash. After they were done, Sungmin was left there by the corner of the building bleeding on . She tried her best to hold her tears but, she’s still a girl after all. Tears were streaming down her cheeks, feeling so unfair to be treated like that where she didn’t do anything wrong.

 

Why me?

 

She asked herself as she continues crying when out of sudden there’s a handkerchief handed in front of her. She sniffed, turned to look upfront to be face to face with a muscular guy.

 

“If you’re in pain so much, why didn’t you just fight back?” the man asked, get up from his position.

 

Sungmin blinked her eyes few times, didn’t know what to ‘say’ to the stranger.

 

“I know. You can’t speak. Your existence has spread all over the school. And don’t worry, I’m not going to do anything to you.” He explained, somehow understand what was playing in Sungmin’s head.

 

Sungmin smiled, even though it hurt her lips a little.

 

“I’m Kangin.” The guy introduced, smiles back at her and give a hand for Sungmin to stand up.

 

But as she was about to walk, her feet weakened and she stumbled back down, immediately been caught Kangin.

 

“Woah, I guess you can’t walk also in this state.” Kangin commented, he then took the initiative to sit the opposite of Sungmin, backside and continue, “I’ll piggy back you to the infirmary.”

 

Sungmin was surprised and she hesitated whether to accept the invitation or not but she hurriedly hush by Kangin, “Hurry up, we didn’t have the whole day you know.” Awkwardly, Sungmin climbed on Kangin’s back.

 

She shrieked silently when Kangin stand up and her world getting high from Kangin’s height point of view. She cling to Kangin’s back as close as she could, feel safe and calm with the warmth that she got. She was indeed grateful that there’s actually someone to help her by the time she needs the most. Feeling tired with the previous scene that happened, unconsciously she fall asleep on Kangin’s back, a new person that she knew.

 

Kangin brings Sungmin to the infirmary despite the fuss that he created when other people were watching and talking behind his back along the journey. Well, he never care about other people before so why must he care about it now. That was what he thinks. Sungmin on the other hand is absolutely clueless about what is happening and what has she involved herself into.

 

~~

 

Kangin opened the infirmary door and the nurse inside, even without looking back from her seat, has already guessed that he was coming.

 

“What’s your problem today, Youngwon? Another fight?” nurse Leeteuk asked.

 

“Well…I’m not the problem today.” He answered.

 

“What…ah what happen?!” her sentence was left unfinished as she turned and being shocked to see Kangin was carrying a girl on his back.

 

“Put her down.” She ordered worriedly and quickly examined Sungmin after Kangin puts her on the bed.

 

“So, how is she, Teukie?” Leeteuk glared at the latter to hear the informality used by Kangin.

 

“It’s Teukie-songsaengnim for you, Kim Youngwoon.” She retorted back.

 

Kangin chuckled, “Oh, come on Teukie. We are not that far apart from age. And you are not looking any older than me” he whispered the last sentence to Leeteuk’s ear that send shivers through her body.

 

“Kim Youngwoon! Stop teasing me!” She scolded Kangin, though she still couldn’t hide the blush on her face.

 

Kangin just continue chuckled, obviously having fun with it. Leeteuk sighed, to realize that she’s not going to win with the boy. She turned her attention to Sungmin who was lying on the bed calmly.

 

“It’s just a little injury. I’ll take some band-aid for her.” She went to the cupboard to take some of the medical equipment to clean the wound and bandage it.

 

Kangin watched her every movement carefully, totally being enchanted by her. It is not a secret that he really does love the nurse. He has already confesses a few times but Leeteuk didn’t take it so seriously. She thinks that Kangin was just playing with her and she’s also afraid that she might corrupt the boy. It will be a big problem if the school found out that she has a relationship with a student. The most important thing, she just doesn’t want to give the boy hope.

 

“What are you looking at, brat?” Leeteuk questioned, a little uncomfortable being watched intensely like that and somehow she regretted asking the question when Kangin leisurely answered, “You.” And her face reddened even more.

 

Few minutes later, Leeteuk finished cleaning Sungmin’s wound and treating it. Since the injury isn’t that bad, it didn’t take much time.

 

“You can leave now.”

 

“Wae?” Kangin’s fast questioned tensed her.

 

“Ah, because…cause…I…she…” she shutter to give an answer especially upon seeing the face of Kangin that was still staring at her, “Aish! I don’t know!” Leeteuk said dejectedly.

 

She tried to distract herself from Kangin but she still fails, “So, care to tell me what has actually happened? How did you end up with the girl?”

 

“Well…”Kangin trailed off, looking at Leeteuk and Sungmin back forth before continue, “I accidently found her being bullied by a few girls. After they were done, I talk to her a little bit. Then, I carry her here, the infirmary. And she fall asleep on my back. That’s all.”

 

“After they’re done? You just watched when the other girls beat her before you help them?” Kangin nodded.

 

“Kim Youngwoon!!! What do you think you’re doing?!” Leeteuk yelled in rage, didn’t control her tone of anger at all.

 

“What? I didn’t do anything! You say to never create any fight again, right? I did as you told me.” He defended himself, “Ouch! Noona!!” and he got a smack on the head as the punishment.

 

“You suppose to help her, idiot bear…Not just wait till it finished!” another smack arrived on Kangin’s head and he yelled in pain, “And call me songsaengnim!” Leeteuk was burning.

 

Kangin groaned in pain, rubbing his head which was ‘badly’ hurt. Leeteuk let go a heavy sigh. It does tire her so much to care about the latter. She wonders sometimes why she was so attracted by the boy in the first place. Meanwhile, Sungmin has already waken up when they were busy quarrelling with each other. Her sleep was obviously being disturbed by all the yelling and screaming.

 

“Ah, you’re awake. I’m sorry to wake you up. Are you feeling okay now?” Leeteuk apologized and Sungmin just nodded to every question didn’t let out any decent answer.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay? Why didn’t you say anything?” Leeteuk continue asking, worried about her condition.

 

Sungmin turned to look at Kangin, to ask for help to answer the question on her behalf, “She can’t speak, noona, that’s why.” And Sungmin nodded more.

 

Leeteuk’s eyes blinked few times, “Can’t speak? Mute?” she continues asking, didn’t believe of what she is hearing and both of Kangin and Sungmin nodded to the question.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. Poor you…I didn’t know that you’re mute. I’m sorry.” Leeteuk cooed the girl, though she didn’t have to do it.

 

I just didn’t want to speak. Sungmin explained but only inside her mind.

 

“So, what’s your name? You can write it here.” She gave a piece of paper to Sungmin.

 

“Lee Sungmin.” And even before Sungmin started writing her name, Kangin has already answered it for her.

 

Leeteuk gave a death stare to the boy, hate to be bother like that. Kangin just smiled sheepishly.

 

Ignoring Kangin, Leeteuk turned to Sungmin once more, “Lee Sungmin? That’s your name?” she asked to be sure and Sungmin nodded again together with a smile.

 

Sungmin write something on the paper and showed it to Leeteuk, ‘Kangin-oppa has helped me. Please don’t be angry at him.’

 

“I’m not mad at anyone. I’m just glad that you’re okay.” Leeteuk patted Sungmin on the head and smile, “And you have a very beautiful name for a beautiful girl.” Sungmin smiled happily by the compliment.

 

Leeteuk’s heart jump a little with that smile. The smile that Sungmin gave, trigger some of her memory.

 

 Her smile, why does it resembles someone? She thought to herself. But she let go of that question when Kangin started to again.

 

Then again, Sungmin was really happy that day. Leeteuk helped her to have an excuse to skip the class the whole day. Furthermore, with Kangin together with them, she couldn’t stop from laughing with all the teasing and joking came from him. Sungmin found out that Kangin was her sunbae but, with 6 years older than her. The reason why Kangin was still in school was all because he was force by his grandfather to finish up the high school. But what Sungmin didn’t know is the background of Kangin himself.

 

Leeteuk on the other hand is acting like a sister to her. And of course she gladly accepted it.

 

 

 

~~good nite fellow readers!!! i'm posting this before going to sleep..huhu...~~