Missing You

Voice

CHAPTER 38

 

Leeteuk looked at the picture of Kangin in her phone feeling depressed. It’s been hours and she never got tired doing so. She missed the boy. She missed her lover so much.

 

Youngwoon…he must be searching for me now. Well, I have been receiving his call and messages non-stop since then. He…does he worry about me? I’m sorry. I really didn’t know how to face up with you now. I’m sorry…Youngwoon. I miss you so much.

 

Leeteuk cried again.

 

A week passed by in a flash. For that one week, Leeteuk hid herself inside her house. She completely ignored her lover and isolated herself from everyone around. She already lost counts to how many times she cried in that week. She’s upset but she’s unsure to what actually the reason behind it.

 

Kangin on the other hand was a hell of worried about her. He pestered her around to tell him, but Leeteuk refused to say anything about it. It was the first time ever he saw Leeteuk so depressed. He became angry, not only at her but himself too for not being able to help anything. And it became worse when she just disappeared like that. Kangin was idea drained to think a way to reconcile with his lover.

 

Reconcile? Since when did they have a fight? That one question stuck in Kangin’s head so long.

 

“Sungmin!” he called after recognizing the small figure walking by the road.

 

Sungmin turned her head, “Ah, oppa!” and a smile immediately spread on her face upon seeing Kangin.

 

Kangin ran quickly to Sungmin’s side.

 

“You’re alone? Where’s your friends?” asked Kangin to the girl.

 

“They have a plan on their own…so, yes I am alone I guess.” She replied, giving Kangin a big grin to ensure him.

 

“Hahaha…yeah, right.” Kangin ruffles Sungmin’s hair, “But it is still dangerous to walk alone.”

 

Sungmin sheepishly smiled, “I know, oppa. But, I am strong enough to protect myself.” She exclaimed, nose high with pride.

 

Kangin laughed and ruffles her hair even more, “Talk about being a yakuza girl.” He commented.

 

After that, without much word said, both of them walk together side by side.

 

“How about you, oppa? Why are you alone?” Sungmin asked.

 

“My house is just around the corner, Sungminie. And I’m always alone. There’s nothing unusual about that.” he explained.

 

Sungmin nodded few times, agreed.

 

“Anyway, I have some questions to ask you.”

 

“Eh? What is it?”

 

“You know…” Kangin trailed his sentence.

 

SUNGMIN!

 

Sungmin became alarmed out of sudden.

 

“Sungmin? What’s wrong?” Kangin asked, gawk at Sungmin sudden action.

 

“Err…I think I just…”

 

Your friend is in danger! The voice warned, loud and clear. Save her!

 

Sungmin quickly runs to where the voice said aimlessly.

 

“Eh? Eh? Sungmin!” Kangin flustered and he right away followed the girl.

 

As said by the voice, Sungmin gaped when she reached at the corner.

 

“Let go of me, jerk!”

 

Seohyun was struggling from the hold of with some delinquents.

 

“Hahaha…don’t try to act tough, babe. You have nowhere to go.” One of them touched her and was quick pushed by Seohyun.

 

“Don’t touch me!” she yelled furiously.

 

“Oh come on…”

 

“Let go of her!” Sungmin screamed, and they stopped out of shock.

 

“Eh? Sungmin?”

 

The man turned and smirked to see their threat is actually another girl.

 

“Wow, another catch. You’ve got guts to bother us, .” They moved closer to Sungmin.

 

Sungmin put up a fighting trance.

 

“Touch her and you’re dead.”

 

Came another voice from behind stopping them once more. The men instantly shivered upon realizing the fiery aura from Kangin.

 

“Yah…yah…let’s go.” They dashed away from there in fright.

 

“Ah…ah…” Seohyun’s knees buckled and she fall on the concrete floor, fainted.

 

“Seohyun!” Sungmin managed to catch her before she falls completely and hurt herself.

 

Kangin lifted Seohyun in arms easily, “Let’s bring her to my house.”

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

/////

 

Seohyun stirred slowly from her drowsiness. She blinked few times to clear up her vision.

 

“Where…am I?” she asked weakly.

 

“At my oppa’s house.”

 

Seohyun’s body stiffened after she heard the voice. She automatically turned and glared at Sungmin.

 

“What did you do to me?” she asked, not a bit thankful to Sungmin who saved her.

 

Sungmin sighed, already expected that sort of question from her nemesis, “My oppa and I save you from the thugs just now.” Replied Sungmin normally.

 

“Thugs?” she mocked, “Are you sure they are not your friends?” she accused.

 

“You’re a gangster too, admit it. Of course, it’s not a problem for you to befriend with that kind of people, right? That’s the reason why that Kangin guy sticks to you so much. What sort of spell did you used, huh Sungmin? You must have something binding him, right?” she snorted, “Or is he actually your men too? You and your gangster do nothing but hurting people anyway.”

 

“ENOUGH!”

 

Sungmin shouted out of sudden. Seohyun jumped with shock, and so did Kangin on the other side of the door.

 

“I am what I am and those thugs had nothing to do with me at all. I don’t care whether you believe me or not. And I don’t even care what you want to think about me. So what if I have gangsters as my friends. It has nothing to do with you!” she reprimanded.

 

“Wow.” Kangin whispered, never seen Sungmin so furious like that before.

 

“You know nothing about me or my family. So, just shut your filthy mouth and stayed silent, woman.” She threatened.

 

Seohyun gasped with the harsh words.

 

“Here.” Sungmin puts the tray next Seohyun and got up, “You just faint out of shock. Drink, rest and leave after this.” She huffed and opened the door to leave.

 

Seohyun looked at the tray saddened. She felt utmost guilt at what said by Sungmin just now. She has crossed the line, obviously.

 

/////

 

“Oppa?!” Sungmin almost jumped from her stay when she saw Kangin standing behind the door.

 

The man showed her his gummy smile, “You did great defending our family.” He praised, petting Sungmin’s head affectionately.

 

A pout appeared on Sungmin’s cute face. She can’t help but to hate anyone insulted her family and she knew Kangin understand her feelings. Kangin purposely ruffles Sungmin’s hair to calm her down. He laughed at Sungmin’s sulking face. To make her better, he offered some drink at the veranda. It was already prepared by the maid, and he just doing the errand of calling Sungmin.

 

Sungmin huffed her cheeks big making Kangin laughed to see it again.

 

“Come on, don’t get angry too long, Minnie. Frown is not best for you.” Kangin comforted.

 

Still pouting, “I know oppa…it just…I feel angry when she can easily insulted us like that. She didn’t know anything but dare to say bad things about us. Like she is any better.” Grumbled Sungmin.

 

Kangin chuckles, “I know, Sungminie. I know that you’re angry. Just calm down. Drink your juice before the ice melts.”

 

Sungmin hesitantly nodded and did as told.

 

“Also, I want you to never ever do that again, Lee.Sung.Min.” he threatened, flicking Sungmin’s head soft.

 

“What…” Sungmin whined.

 

“You should know better to never jump into a fight like that again. You’re lucky that I am here with you. Who knows what would happen if you’re alone dealing with those guys.”

 

“I was okay the last time.” She talked back, and once again she received a flick from Kangin.

 

“Oppa!” Sungmin protested, rubbing the place solemnly.

 

“You’re LUCKY that my cousin was there to save you the last time. Remember that I never agree of you involving in anyone’s business right? And I’m sure your uncle is the same.” Kangin scolded seriously, “Promise me that you’ll be careful.”

 

Sungmin sighed lightly, “Yes…” she whispered.

 

“Good.”

 

“But, oppa. I know how to fight on my own. I know martial arts.”

 

“I know. But, that’s not the reason why you must interfere every time.” Kangin reminded.

 

“Why is it me who get scolded? We’re talking about Seohyun just now right…” she mumbled unsatisfyingly.

 

Kangin laughed.

 

“Yes, yes. We’re talking about your friend insulting our family I know. But, this and that is not entirely to separate thing altogether.” He told the younger, “And, talk about that again, you can’t actually blame your friend fully in this matter. That girl didn’t live in a world like us.”He added, looking far in front.

 

“She didn’t know a thing about us, well, especially you of course. She might faint again if she knew you are the sole heir of Lee Yakuza family.”

 

What? Seohyun clasped out of shock by the revelation. She was about to interrupt the conversation when she heard that. Sungmin belongs to a Yakuza group? The rumor is true then. She thought inside.

 

“Not that I care.”

 

Seohyun was again surprise by Sungmin’s reply.

 

“I never want to hide my identity from anyone. Jin-chan wants it not me.” She complained.

 

Kangin smiles at her, “Well, he is right on doing that Sungmin. You’ll be more protected if your identity is hidden here. The perfect example is what has happened in Japan.”Kangin reminded her.

 

Sungmin pouts, but she agreed with Kangin though.

 

“I know that everyone is worried about me. But, it’s not my choice to choose who I belong to, right?”

 

Kangin nodded faintly, agreeing hardly.

 

“I don’t care if she wants to say something bad about me. But, I will not tolerate if she dare to insult my family. I’m proud them, yakuza or not, they are my family and they are the one who’s been protecting me from all the time. She’s wrong to think she can insult them like that. It’s true that Lee family is a Yakuza group but we are not like what they think we are. We have dignity and we put pride in whatever we do. You know that, right oppa?” She explained long, looking at Kangin with hopeful eyes.

 

Kangin smiled. He pets on Sungmin’s head softly before nodding his head.

 

“Yes, your family is the best. If not, your uncle is not nominated as the leader, right?”

 

“Em!” Sungmin nodded eagerly and laughed.

 

Seohyun who heard every single word said fell into a mist. She never knew that sort of thing about Sungmin. It’s true she hated Sungmin because of her heartbroken love to Kyuhyun. But, she never really had an ill-intention towards the girl. She has never feel at fault like that in her entire life especially for Sungmin who has saved her.

 

“Oh yes, oppa, you want to ask me something before this, right? What is it?” Sungmin referred to their unfinished conversation before the fight.

 

Kangin sighed.

 

“Nothing big actually, I was just worry about someone.” He started.

 

Sungmin waited patiently for him to continue.

 

“It’s Jungsoo.” He turned to Sungmin with pained expression, “Has she contacted you in the past week, Sungminie?”

 

Sungmin shakes her head slowly.

 

“Not even a text?”

 

Sungmin denied. Kangin sighed again for the nth time that day.

 

“She didn’t call you oppa?”

 

“She rejected my call.” Kangin corrected, totally depressed, “I don’t know, Minnie. It’s strange, really strange. She never acts this way before. She used to call me at least once a day or I went to meet her at the school clinic. But, now, not only she rejected my call, she’s even absent from school for one whole week without notice! Isn’t that just too weird?!” he poured his frustration.

 

“Did you think I did something wrong somewhere, Sungminie?”

 

Sungmin frowned, could almost understand the pain Kangin is having. True to be said, Leeteuk never acted that way before. Even though she’s new at the school, she knew that Leeteuk is not someone who will neglect her duty that easily.

 

“Sungmin!!!” came a sudden voice calling for Sungmin happily.

 

When they turned, from afar, they see an elder walking towards them.

 

“Youngjin uncle.” Sungmin smiled brightly after recognizing the man.

 

“Oh, I miss you so much.” Youngjin ignore the glare from his son and embraced Sungmin into a tight hug.

 

Sungmin laughed.

 

“I miss you too, uncle.”

 

“Wanna stay for a dinner? We’ll have a blast together…”

 

“Appa…”

 

Ignoring Kangin’s presence completely, Youngjin happily chatted with Sungmin. He snorted at them but smile nonetheless.

 

I’ll just forget about my problem for the moment then. He told himself and joins Sungmin and his father.

 

Seohyun on the other hand, totally wash with guilt after he heard the conversation. She had make mistakes. She just wishes that she will be able to redeem it on time.

 

/////

 

That night, after dinner, Seohyun’s driver comes to fetch her home after being called. During dinner she didn’t speak much with Sungmin giving her a cold shoulder. Only uncle Youngjin talks a lot to her, to ease the tension. She’s really grateful for that. her impression of the family slowly changed to better and she’s glad that she still has the chance getting know them. When the car arrived, Sungmin and Kangin’s household voluntarily send her until the gate.

 

“Thank you for your hospitality, uncle.” She thanked politely, bowed a little at Youngjin.

 

Youngjin smiled, “You’re welcome. Sungmin’s friend is always welcome here any time. Just come.”

 

Seohyun nodded faintly and smiled back at him.

 

“Come, I’ll send you to the car.” Sungmin offered which Seohyun and Kangin followed right behind her.

 

The driver opened the backseat door for Seohyun to which she walked slowly there. But, Seohyun didn’t directly jump into the car as expected. Her movement stopped as she was in deep thought of something.

 

“Hey Sungmin…” she called inaudibly.

 

“Hm?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Sungmin’s eyes widened to hear the sudden apology.

 

“So you know, I have never thought badly about you. Ever since you transferred her till now, I know that you are unlike the others are telling me about. I admit that I am jealous about your relationship with Kyuhyun. But, I know…I know that I will never get any chance with him anymore.” She explained, but averted her eyes elsewhere, not at Sungmin.

 

“Hurting you and your friends, I’m sorry too.” She added more after no reply from Sungmin that she got, “Maybe I should just…”

 

“It’s okay.” Sungmin’s voice cuts her words effortlessly.

 

Seohyun turned up to look at Sungmin to see the girl smiling at her. A sincere smile.

 

“You’ll forgive me?” she asked, disbelief with Sungmin’s kindness.

 

“Why not? You just apologize right? I don’t like to have grudge on anyone so much.”

 

Seohyun felt deeply touched with Sungmin’s kindness. It was really the first time that she ever met that sort of person before. Unexpectedly, Seohyun marched forward and hugged Sungmin.

 

“Thank you.” She expressed her feelings thankfully, “Ah but, at school…”

 

“It’s okay, Seohyun.” Sungmin cuts her again, “You have your reputation to keep at school, I know.”

 

Seohyun once again surprised by Sungmin correct guess.

 

“We are friends outside. And I totally understand everything that you’re going to say. Maybe not today but one day…one day I’m sure we can be best friend too.”

 

“Em!” Seohyun nodded eagerly and gave Sungmin a bear hug to express her happiness.

 

“Err…miss…” the butler interrupts to remind Seohyun.

 

“Ah, I’m coming.” She replied, “We’ll keep in touch.”

 

She was about to leave when suddenly she remembered something.

 

“Ah, actually there’s something else I want to tell you about nurse Teukie.” She told her.

 

Both Kangin and Sungmin become alarmed by the name spoken.

 

“What’s wrong with her?” Kangin fast questioned after a long silence.

 

“Err…actually…” She shuttered by Kangin’s stare , “During the festival few days ago, I saw nurse Teukie talking with your uncle, Sungmin.”

 

Both of them were puzzled by the information said.

 

“My uncle? Jin-chan?” Sungmin repeated to ensure.

 

Seohyun nodding her head approvingly. A frown already appeared on Kangin. He is confused for sure.

 

“Does your uncle know Jungsoo, Sungmin?” he asked the question to the lad.

 

“I…I don’t think so.” She denied.

 

“What did you saw Seohyun?” he turned the question to the other, “Did you heard what they’re talking about?”

 

Seohyun shivers instinctively with Kangin’s deathly stare, “Errr…not..not much actually.” She stammered, “But, nurse Teukie was crying.”

 

Once again, Kangin was given a shock by the new information. His head boiled just to hear the word ‘cry’.

 

“But, please don’t think bad about that. I know there’s must be a reason to why it happened.” She fast explained as Kangin’s expression changed abruptly, “It’s better is you ask her directly.” She suggested.

 

“Thank you for telling us, Seohyun.” Sungmin thanked her on Kangin’s behalf as she can see the man is thinking something in mind already.

 

Seohyun nodded for the last time and finally get inside the car. The car moved away from the Kim’s residence in a dash.

 

“Oppa…” Sungmin called for him hesitantly.

 

“Let’s go, Sungmin.” Kangin ordered, short and simple.

 

Sungmin gulped unconsciously. She looked at the empty road where Seohyun was standing just now and remembered the information told by her.

 

Teukie unnie knew Jin-chan? Really? But how?

 

New questions started to spin inside her head.

 

 

TBC