The hidden past

Voice

 

CHAPTER 40

 

Kangin wakes up from his sleep with someone’s presence beside him. He’s gape to see it’s his girlfriend. He stares at the girlfriend confusingly, trying to figure out everything. He noticed traces of dried tears on her cheeks. He sighed and winced almost immediately because of the pain on his lips. He remembered. He had a dispute with Sungjin and he lost with just a punch from the man.

 

Damn it.

 

He cursed.

 

That man is devious. How can his punch be this powerful? Now I know why he’s the Yakuza leader. But…

 

He turned to look at Leeteuk again.

 

What’s your relationship with Sungjin, Teukie? How and why are you related to a Mafia person like him? Like…me? Is this why you’re so accustomed with the like of me? Because you knew someone scarier and higher than me? Or it is because you had a secret that you hid from me? Is he also the reason you avoided me? What is it Teukie? What make you cried like this?

 

So many questions played in his head and he didn’t get any answer to it. Staring and watching at Leeteuk for the longest time, he felt a pain in his heart. He pulled the girl slowly and embraced her tighter. He poured out all his feelings of love that he missed in the past weeks. He really can’t bear himself to go through the same week all over again. Being apart is one thing. But, being ignored is a lot worse. He seriously and is deeply in love with the Leeteuk, Jungsoo or whatever name she used. Kangin just love the girl so much.

 

Suddenly, he feels some movement from Leeteuk. Maybe because of his suffocated hug.

 

“Young…woon?” the girl sleepily called and their eyes met.

 

The time stopped in that right moment. Kangin smiled.

 

“Hey love.” He called.

 

Leeteuk’s heart sank painfully by the smile. Tears started to form again in her eyes as she clings on the man desperately. Kangin didn’t say anything and just hug her firmly. What he knew, he will never let go of her ever again.

 

/////

 

Leeteuk lied comfortably in Kangin’s arms. After she wakes up, Kangin didn’t questioned her anything but continue to embrace her firmly. She’s really thankful that he is still willing to accept her even after what she did to him week ago. They had a silence dinner without words and now arms in arms, they stayed on the couch watching some old movie. Their minds were elsewhere but that doesn’t matter anymore. All they need are each other.

 

“Youngwoon-ah.” Leeteuk called softly.

 

Kangin hummed.

 

“Aren’t you angry at me?”

 

“For?”

 

“For ignoring you and hurting your feelings?” she questioned back, “I’m no good for you, right? You shouldn’t have any relation with me at all. I kept so many secrets from you too.” she told him sadly.

 

Kangin takes a deep breath. He holds the hands of his girlfriends carefully. He really didn’t want it disappear from his anymore.

 

“Maybe I am angry or maybe I am not. I don’t know.” He finally answered.

 

“It’s just…” Kangin pulled her to face up with his eyes, “It hurts Teukie.” He confessed.

 

Hearing it, Leeteuk feels guiltier and get teary-eyed again.

 

“Not meeting you and been ignore for one whole week make me realize how much I can’t live without you. I know I’m being childish and ignorant, but, it just doesn’t feel right. I couldn’t shake this feeling of losing you again. Please…promise me to never do something like this ever again. If there’s anything, anything at all, just tell me. I swear with all my heart that I’ll accept.” He swore.

 

Leeteuk smiled thinly. She pulled the boy and embraced him tight, pouring out all the feelings that she missed in the past week. Kangin also did the same. There are a lot of questions inside his head but, he didn’t want to force her on anything. He just didn’t want his girlfriend to repeat the same thing she did before. So, he waited. He will wait for her to willingly tell him the truth.

 

“So…are you ready now to tell me?” he hesitantly asked.

 

Leeteuk stared into the big black eyes. And slowly she nodded.

 

“How are you related to Sungjin, Teukie? Do you have a past together with him?” asked Kangin as the starter.

 

“Not only him but to his family too.” Leeteuk corrected him.

 

“Family? What do you mean?” Kangin asked for more explanation.

 

Leeteuk arranged her words inside her head slowly.

 

“I have…an oppa.” Leeteuk started her story.

 

“He’s a few years older than me. After the divorce of our parents, our father took me and him to live with him in China. My older brother was the only family that cares about me sincerely. He is my everything. I didn’t have anyone else except him and I love him very much, just like how he is to me. We were always together. Most importantly, there, I made friends for a lifetime. I had sworn sisters.” There’s pain in Leeteuk’s voice as she telling the story.

 

“Had?”

 

Leeteuk nodded. She leaned more into Kangin’s embrace.

 

“Oppa was the first one who knew them. He’s the one who introduced me to the sisters. One of them is as the same age like me, a bit diva but very kind-hearted one. Her name is Kim Heechul. She’s a very strong will girl, and always protects me from the bully. Many scares of her actually, but for me, she’s really the kindest of all.” A mere smile spread on her lips as she said.

 

“And the other one is a very beautiful unnie, she is Heechul’s sister and the eldest sister among us. She always takes care of us and treated me like a real family. Her name is…Kim Sunghee and she was also…” Leeteuk paused.

 

Kangin waits patiently for her to continue. He can almost sense pain from his lover’s voice.

 

“Sungmin’s mother.”

 

Kangin gawked.

 

Did he just hear it right? Sungmin’s mother?

 

Flashback.

 

“Jungsoo!”

 

Leeteuk jumped by the sudden hug.

 

She turned behind with annoyed face but it melted right away with the other person’s smile. She smiles back at her.

 

“Unnie…why do love to surprise me? I told you to not do that right?”

 

The girl laughed softly.

 

“Sorry~~” she sang mischievously while messing up with Leeteuk’s hair, “Did you wait long?” she changed the topic casually.

 

Leeeuk shook her head, “Not much. What took you so long anyway? Heehee might be furious if we’re late for her recital performance.” Leeteuk nagged like an old lady.

 

At the same time, her hands swiftly packing away her things inside her backpack.

 

She chuckled cutely, “There’s something happened.” She said winking, some sort of hiding something from Leeteuk.

 

The latter frowned.

 

“Something?” she repeated.

 

 “I’ll tell you and Heehee later when we’re back to the hotel okay? Let’s just go first.”

 

“But unnie…”

 

“Come on!” The girl cuts off Leeteuk’s words before she continues asking and holds Leeteuk’s hand with the happiest grin ever.

 

And just before she retorted, a voice called aloud from far.

 

“Jungsoo! Sunghee!” they both turned at the same time.

 

They smiled widely seeing the person. There, standing not too far from them was Leeteuk’s brother. It was the most memorable day for them. But, it was also a starting point that changes their life forever.

 

Flashback end

 

“It was our first vacation in Korea and the first time we were out to foreign country. Heechul was a famous and talented pianist. She became the China’s representative and won the ticket for the five of us. We’re so excited and spent lots times making new memories. It was the happiest day for us and it was also the time where something changes in our life. The meeting with the Lee family.”

 

“Lee? Sungjin’s family?”

 

Leeteuk nodded faintly.

 

“It was Sunghee unnie actually. She accidentally met with Sungjin’s brother, Lee Sungkyu and fall in love at the first sight.”

 

“Love? Both of them?”

 

Leeteuk nodded again followed with a soft laughter as she remembered the story told to her once ago. But, her expression turned seriously immediately.

 

“But, my oppa love Sunghee unnie too. Among all people, he was the most shock and heartbroken. I saw the sadness how he looked at Sunghee unnie but I couldn’t do anything. I told him to confess and yet, he said it was already too late. Sunghee unnie fall head over heel over Sungkyu oppa already. To prove that, 3 months after knowing each other, they decided to get married.”

 

“So fast?”

 

“They said love was blind, I think. I felt sorry for my brother knowing that he must be so heartbroken with the wedding. But, there’s nothing much we can do. Sungkyu oppa took unnie to Korea and lived there ever since.”

 

“And your brother?”

 

“Surprisingly, he followed them.”

 

“What?” Kangin astounded to hear that.

 

“Right? Everyone gave the same reaction when they heard it. Heechul was against it the most. She said it unreasonable, but he refused. Moreover, even Sungkyu oppa agreed to it. Everyone was out of point to go against him. I know how stubborn my brother is, but I never expect for him to do so.”

 

“Then?”

 

“They were happy.” Leeteuk smiled sadly, “Unexpectedly, my oppa never do anything bad towards the family. He protected Sunghee unnie like his own life and accepted Sungkyu oppa as his brother. Sunghee unnie got Sungmin after a year of their marriage and they were happier than before with her arrival. We were always together and happy but, something changed one day.”

 

Kangin listened closely.

 

“A huge fight suddenly erupted. Another triad family came and attacked the Lee’s. We won but, there was said to be a traitor in the family and it pointed to my oppa. Oppa had huge fight with the family. I heard them talking that my oppa was associated with the wrong people. Unnie told him to stop but he refused. Sungkyu oppa has no other choice but to throw him out from the house. He disappeared from weeks after that. Our life slowly changed starting from that day. But then…”

 

Leeteuk paused to think.

 

“Oppa came to see me. He begged me to let him meet with the family.”

 

Flashback.

 

“Please Jungsoo, tell me where are they? I just want to see them.”

 

“No, oppa you can’t. Have you forgotten what you did to them? You betrayed Sungkyu oppa.” Leeteuk strengthened.

 

His brother groaned.

 

“I didn’t mean it. You have to believe me, please. I was torn apart myself with everything.”

 

“Stop lying oppa! I know everything that you did…”

 

“Appa was in this too!” He cuts her and stopped Leeteuk in an instant.

 

“What…”

 

“Yes, appa, Jungsoo. Our appa was in this too. He used me. I didn’t know how and why but I’m sure that he used me. He wants something from the Lee family. That’s why I want to meet Sungkyu and settle everything. I want to warn him that appa is not going to stay silent with this matter until he got what he wants.”

 

“Appa is in it?”

 

“Yes, please Jungsoo. I want to protect them too. You know how much I love Sungmin right? I would never do anything that will hurt her and her family.”

 

Leeteuk stares without word at her brother. She was still unsure.

 

“Please…” The elder begged.

 

Flashback end.

 

“You give in?” Leeteuk nodded faintly.

 

“And I regretted it so much. The day when my brother went to their house was actually the worst day of our life. It was the day of Lee family death.” Leeteuk explained, closing her eyes tight.

 

Tears drop one by one from her eyes. Kangin pulled her into his arms and she broke down.

 

“There were bloods everywhere.” She cried, “We found Sungkyu oppa and Sunghee unnie together. Both of them were shot to death. No one survive from it. No adults except Sungmin. Sungmin lost both of her parents that day. She even loses her voice. It was all my fault. If only I didn’t tell oppa. If only…” she couldn’t continue anymore.

 

Leeteuk clings onto Kangin and cried to her heart out. It hurts her heart so much and it hurts Kangin more to see her in that condition. He can see that Leeteuk totally blamed herself with what happened. No wonder she run away and hid from Sungjin’s family. He didn’t say a word but to just hug her endlessly. He can’t change the past but he is sure to protect their future together.

 

On the next day, after settled down everything and being convinced by Kangin, Leeteuk gathered up her courage to go back to school. She missed lots of things and more works has piled up on her desk. She’s unsure whether she has the bravery to face up with Sungmin again. She’s afraid that she might be reminded by her past again if she sees Sungmin. But, then again, they are at the same school. And her presence mean dearly to Sungmin.

 

“Unnie!” Sungmin embraced her firmly as soon when she meets her.

 

“Are you okay, unnie? What happened to you? I was really worried. You’ve been absent for a week.” Sungmin spoke long, pouring out her frustration.

 

Leeteuk’s eyes moistened to see Sungmin. Now with her knowing she is the child from her past, it pained her heart to see the innocence. She can almost see Sungmin’s mother from Sungmin herself.

 

“Unnie?” Sungmin was more worried by the silence.

 

Slowly, a tint smile appeared on Leeteuk.

 

“I am fine, Sungminie. There’s nothing bad happened.” She assured.

 

“But…”

 

“I have something to be done in the past week. Sorry that I didn’t say anything and make you worry.” Explained Leeteuk carefully to not let Sungmin more suspicious.

 

Sungmin pouted. She didn’t like the tone Leeteuk used. She can sense that the unnie is hiding something from her.

 

“Okay…” she trailed her word, dejected.

 

“Don’t be so sad, Sungminie. I promised I’ll never hide away and make you worry ever again.” She promised.

 

“Really?” Leeteuk nodded, “Pinky promise?” Sungmin hold out her finger to her.

 

Leeteuk laughed softly by the childishness.

 

“Yes, pinky promise.” And they intertwine their finger together.

 

Sungmin smiled widely. She was still curious but, as long as Leeteuk is fine, she thinks everything is better.

 

/////

 

Kangin waited inside a restaurant alone. After listening to Leeteuk’s story about her past, his curiosity grew wanting to know the other side of the story. Since Sungjin was the only person he knew from the story, he called for him to meet.

 

Sungjin on the other hand already expected for the man to call him. That’s why he easily abides the request. Busy or not, he thought that maybe it was better for them to meet. He also wants to know the relationship between him and his so-called long lost sister.

 

“To keep everything short, I am Jungsoo’s lover.” Kangin stated sternly.

 

He watched Sungjin’s closely to see how he would react with the information. Sungjin’s expression was shock at first but soon after he saw a small smile.

 

“That’s great.”

 

That word surprised Kangin instead.

 

“Why?”

 

Sungjin snickered, “Nothing. It just…so many things happened ever since. I’m glad that Jungsoo has move on with her life. And accepting you as a lover, I have to say, this is the biggest step she ever made.”

 

Kangin’s ear twitched to hear someone else talked about his lover like that. It almost seems as the man know Leeteuk more than him. He can’t help but feels jealous with the past that they shared.

 

“You don’t need to feel jealous you know.”

 

Kangin instantly tensed.

 

“Everything is written on your face.” he added, to more Kangin embarrassment.

 

Kangin coughed, clearing his throat before he starts speaking again.

 

“I am not JEALOUS.” He lied, “I’m just a bit curious. That’s all.” He denied more.

 

Sungjin chuckled. He can’t believe that the man is actually vulnerable against that matter so much. Love does many things, even changes people. He concluded.

 

“So, what do you want to know?” Sungjin asked straight to the point, sparing the other’s embarrassment.

 

Kangin looked at him in the eyes.

 

“Leeteuk talked about Sungmin’s mother and your brother. I can relate when she said she felt guilty when she saw Sungmin especially since she’s the one who decided to leave. But, I don’t understand one thing.” He paused, “Her brother.”

 

“I want to know your side of story about her brother. I’m sure your version is different than hers. What make the man so ‘special’ to you, or even the clan?” he questioned.

 

Sungjin took a deep breath and heaved it out slow. So much as he wants to keep it as a secret, he knew Kangin will not give up just like that, especially since he is now related somehow to each other. With heavy heart, he told the latter a little bit about Jungsoo’s brother. Why he was never spoken before and why he is a secret, he told him ‘almost’ everything. When he finished, Kangin was seriously frowning.

 

“He betrayed you and your family not just once but you still forgive him?” he stated his opinion out loud, “What are you implying to? Are you dense or just pretending to be okay?” he said, irritated.

 

“You don’t understand Kangin.” Sungjin vaguely replied.

 

Kangin looked at him strangely.

 

“Heh…” Sungjin sneered at his own words, “Even I don’t really understand about it. But,” he stopped, his gazes looking upfront, “He was very important to us.”

 

Kangin noticed Sungjin’s seriousness in his tone.

 

“He was like a family to me, Yunho, Dongwoo and Heechul. He is Jungsoo’s brother in fact. But, to Sungmin’s family, he is a lot more than that.” he said, saddened.

 

“He was…my brother’s shadow, someone that my brother trusts the most. He was also my sister in law’s protector, the one who first willing to sacrifice his life for her. And to Sungmin…he is her guardian and Sungmin’s hidden voice. A voice that only Sungmin could understand and hear.”

 

“Voice? What do you mean? What make you said like that?” Kangin asked, obviously curios and confused.

 

Sungjin gave him a sad smile.

 

“I don’t know, Kangin.”

 

“Ah.”

 

“I don’t even understand to how did I know about it. But, I know he and Sungmin holds a very special connection with each other. It was said that they could speak only through mind. I remembered my sister in law being jealous over that when she saw how happy Sungmin was whenever she was with him. They didn’t exchange a single word, but they were smiling like they were talking. I saw it too, quite often actually. He will let little Sungmin ride on his back and they walked around the lawn without words. It’s suspicious but that was how they spend time together. Strange isn’t it?” he ended his long explanation with a question to Kangin.

 

Strange indeed. Kangin thought inside.

 

The conversation he had with Sungjin that day didn’t answer his question but created more questions instead. He has always thought that Sungmin hold the key to the Lee family’s secret but it never crossed his mind to how complicated it was. From the story he heard from both parties, the man played an important role in their life. He wondered what kind of man he is. And he also wondered why does Leeteuk and even Sungjin didn’t speak the man’s name at all.

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

Lack of Kyumin? I know~~ >_<  But you see this fic is tagged with other couples too. So, please bear with me! ^^ I promise I’ll try my best! Please give me your support! Anyway, thank you in advance for anyone reading this!!