Unexpected

Voice

Bacause this is what I feels now...

CHAPTER 34

 

~~FESTIVAL DAY~~

 

Two handsome men wearing a total black shade and a cap each are walking in the crowd of the school festive towards the same destination. They are actually looking for someone.

 

“Did you see her anywhere?” the first man asked the other.

 

“Nope. Just call her. She might answer your call.” The 2nd one suggested.

 

So, following order, the first man fished out his phone from his coat and starts dialing a number in fast mode. After a few ringing, the call is answered by a very happy voice from the other side.

 

“Woo-kun!” there is no one else who called him that except his young lady, Lee Sungmin.

 

“Hey Minnie.” He greeted, grinning widely.

 

“Me and Jin has arrived at your school. Where are you now?” Dongwoo questioned on their behalf.

 

“I’m in the class.”

 

Dongwoo heard some footsteps and could predict that the girl is running to somewhere.

 

“Ah, Woo-kun! I see you! Turn up!” Sungmin said excitedly.

 

“Jin, up.” Dongwoo said and both of them turn up in sync towards the same place and they see a girl happily waving from the window.

 

“I see you Minnie!” Dongwoo shouted, waving back at her together with Sungjin, didn’t really care about other people looking at them weirdly.

 

Sungmin laughed by the response, “Oh, yes. There’s going to be a special performance from the students next in the B hall. Wookie will be performing. Let’s meet there, Woo-kun.” Sungmin speaks through the phone, informing them.

 

“Okay, we’ll see you there!” Dongwoo hung up the call with a smile on his face, very happy.

 

“We’re meeting Sungmin at the B hall. Let’s go!” he cheers happily and starts walking first.

 

“B hall? Did you ask her where the hall is then?” Dongwoo’s step stopped instantly by the obvious question.

 

He turned back and looked at his friend, laughed awkwardly.

 

“Hahaha...I forgot to ask that.”

 

Sungjin sighed.

 

“Let’s just ask anyone.” Sungjin takes his position and walks in front.

 

“Yes, sir!” Dongwoo salutes and follows the order.

 

“Hide your bang, Woo. People will recognize you and we’ll be in trouble.”Sungjin reminded.

 

“Oh, okay, okay.” Dongwoo fixed his bang as told and they walked together to where the hall is.

 

It was of course after they ask about the hall whereabouts around.

 

“Are you ready?!” Amber cheered.

 

“Fighting!” And her band cheered together with her, making a fighting pose.

 

It was almost their turn to give the special performance.

 

“Do as your best, A. I know you can do it.” Sungmin hugged him tight, giving her the support.

 

They all high-five and started getting ready. Every student was really having a time of a lifetime at the festival. There’s food stall, music, games and especially performance. Each of them anticipates the performance the most. They all hope to get away from stress the whole day. But what they didn’t know is what had fate written for them in that day.

 

/////

 

“Jungsoo?”

 

Leeteuk’s body stiffened instantly by the name called. Her calm heart suddenly starts beating fast and she could almost feel cold sweats forming. She slowly turned around, praying inside her heart, hoping that it wasn’t like what she thought. But, as her eyes landed on the person, her prays shattered completely. In front of her that moment was actually someone she never wants to see the most.

 

“Op…oppa?” she called, already stammering with her words.

 

“What are you doing here? No, I mean how is this possible? You work here?” Sungjin himself couldn’t believe his eyes to see Leeteuk or also known to him as Jungsoo is really standing in front of him.

 

“I’m…I’m…” Leeteuk shuttered, didn’t know how to answer that question due to the shock.

 

“Jin-chan!”

 

Leeteuk flinched. Her words once again stuck on upon hearing the voice. She hesitantly turned and saw Sungmin happily running towards them.

 

“Sungmin.” Both she and Sungjin called at the same time but in different tone.

 

Sungmin reaches her uncle, “What are you doing here, Jin-chan?” asks her to the man.

 

“Nothing.” Sungjin replied but his eyes are not staring at her but at the trembles Leeteuk behind Sungmin.

 

“Teukie-unnie?” Sungmin turned to her next.

 

Leeteuk stares at Sungmin with eyes three times bigger than normal. Realization soon dawned upon her.

 

‘My name is Lee Sungmin.’

 

‘I lived in Japan before.’

 

‘I only have an uncle and an aunt. My parents passed away when I was still small.’

 

Flashes of Sungmin’s words fast forwarded replaying inside her head as she stood there, like a frozen statue.

 

“You know her, Sungmin?” Sungjin asked to make sure.

 

Sungmin nodded, “This is my songsaengnim, Jin-chan.”

 

“Songsengnim?”

 

“Well, not really a teacher. She’s a school nurse here. Her name is Leeteuk, that what we all called her here.” Sungmin introduced.

 

“School nurse…” Sungjin repeated the word, his eyes still fixed on her.

 

“Yup. She’s my best unnie too!” Sungmin said cheerfully, hugging Leeteuk to show her closeness.

 

Leeteuk draw back by the touch but she tried her best to keep her composure. Her eyes already glassed with tears. She restrained herself from crying here and there. Sungjin saw it and was quick to notice the scene. He knew he needs to do something about it.

 

“Where is Woo, Sungmin?” asked him to the girl, changing the topic.

 

“Oh, Woo-kun was talking to Henry and A just now. He’s giving them some tips on the next special performance. Why, Jin-chan?”

 

“Nothing. I just…”

 

Klang.

 

They were surprised by the sound of something dropped on the floor and when they looked at it, Leeteuk’s phone was there answering the question.

 

“Unnie, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” Sungmin asked curiously, she was still oblivious by Leeteuk’s pale face and the atmosphere she was in.

 

“I’m okay, M…Ming. I’m just…” Leeteuk stammered, looking at Sungmin and Sungjin back forth, still couldn’t believe everything.

 

“Are you sure? You look…”

 

“Sungmin, why don’t you leave first?” Sungjin said, cutting off Sungmin’s sentence.

 

“Eh?”

 

“Go and find Woo for me. Tell him that I will meet him at the audience seat. Moreover, it’s your friend’s performance next, right? Don’t you want to help them get ready?”

 

“Ah, you’re right.” Sungmin finally remembered, “I need to help them too. Unnie, Jin-chan let’s meet later okay.” She excused herself and left the place in hurry.

 

They are once again alone in the hallway. It was tense. None of them were ready to say anything in the anxious situation. Slowly, Sungjin looked up to the person in front of him. Tears that were forming just few seconds ago, finally dropped one by one and fall on the floor.

 

“Jungsoo…” Sungjin called for her name, a pained expression on his face.

 

“She…she…is her daughter…” Leeteuk spoke, and sobbing in tears, “Sungmin is…that child.” She said more.

 

Her knees buckled and she falls on the cement floor, crying herself out. Sungjin watched, could also feel the pain. He knew why the girl reacted that way. He was sorry but above all, there’s a certainty that it was not anyone’s fault in that matter.

 

/////

 

~Back in the hall~

 

The hall was thunderous by the sound of students’ cheering. Everyone was excited by the performance performed by the school band. But, there was only one person remained zoning out into space despite the noise and crowd. Sungjin’s mind was elsewhere. His eyes were watching but his head was thinking about the unexpected reunion just now.

 

Jungsoo. Park Jungsoo. Why are you here? Where have you been for all these years? Why must we meet in this situation? Why must we meet now? And why? Why does it still hurt to see you even after so long?

 

He massaged his aching head tiredly, still frowning hard with all the questions unanswered. He didn’t realize it but Dongwoo beside him actually notice the worried look on his face. He saw how Sungjin’s face changed after he came back into the hall just now.

 

“Hey.”

 

Sungjin jumped from his seat by Dongwoo’s touch on his shoulder.

 

“What?” he asked instantly, annoyed.

 

“What? I should be the one asking that question to you, Jin.” Dongwoo said back at him, “You look so worry.” he added.

 

Sungjin stares at him, finally realize where he was, “Ah…nothing. I was just thinking about some work.” He reasoned.

 

“Something happened?” Dongwoo asked for more.

 

Something? Jungsoo? Sungjin answered inside.

 

“No, Woo. Everything is okay.” he replied the opposite of what he thought, “I’m going out for a while.” He suddenly gets up from his seat.

 

“But…”

 

“Just enjoy the show for me, Woo. I’ll be back later.” Without saying anything else, Sungjin just walked himself out from the room.

 

Dongwoo dumfounded staring at the figure until he completely disappear from the door. He senses that something must have happened for Sungjin’s sudden change of mood like that. But then, he shrugged away and just enjoying the performance. He knew that Sungjin has his own reason, and if he wanted to, he will tell him sooner or later. Meanwhile, he being Sungjin’s best underlings and best friend, will always followed whatever it is.

 

After that, the music changed. Soft music began to play. Student’s cheering also subsides as they started to feel the slow song and anticipated for the singer to appear from the backstage. A very stunning Ryeowook slowly emerged wearing a beautiful white dress, appropriate for the song.

 

Nan honjajyo  bi naerineun oneul..
nan honjajyo.. hamkke haettteon geu got..
apeul geot gataseo nunmureul chameurye

nuneul gamjyo gwaenchanha jigetjjyo
 

 

I'm alone... A rainy day...
I'm alone... Time we spent at that place
Because it might hurt, I tried to hold in my tears
If I close my eyes, then it might get better

 

 

Everyone swayed left and right by the sweet voice. Sungmin at the back-stages stands proudly to see her friend singing such an emotional song easily.

 

jakku iyu moreul nunmuri
nae nune goyeo tteoreojijireul anchyeo

bo-ijin anchyeo nan bol suga eopjjyo
geunde wae jakku geunyeo-ui misoman (bo-ineun geolkkayo?)

These constant unreasonable tears
Continues to well up, but it doesn't fall
It doesn't show, I cannot see it
But why does her smile always (appear?)

 

 

The song set off into the second verse. Everyone inhaled deeply waits for the next singer to come forward. And surprised they are when the one appeared is not who they thought it supposed to be.

 

haru jinagamyeon
areumdawossdeon geunyeo moseup
jiul su isseulkkayo
han beonmanirado

dasi geu ttaero doraga
kkok hago sipeun mal

 If a day passes,

will I be able to erase her beautiful features
Just once

I would want to go back to say the words I wanted to say

 

 

“Yeye oppa?” Sungmin stared shockingly at the stage.

 

Yes, unexpected by everyone, the other singer singing duet together with Ryeowook is in truth Yesung. Everyone gaped at the sudden turn of event. Ryeowook almost lose her breathe due to the surprise. Yesung flashed his gorgeous smile towards her, assuring her to continue singing. And she did.

 

nae nun gadeuk goin nunmuri
nae gwie heulleo jakku goyeoman gajyo
deulliji anhjyo deureul suga eopsjyo
geunde wae geunyeoui useum soriman
deullineun geolkkayo

 

han beonmanirado
dasi geu ttaero doraga
kkok hago sipeun mal
geu mal

 If I cannot cry because my tears dried up
The sky will borrow my tears
The tears that stopped in my eyes
It flows from my ears, and it just stops
Can't hear it... it cannot be heard
But why, just by the sound of her voice can it be heard?

 

Just once, I would want to go back to say the words I wanted to say
 

 

 

The performance continued despite the surprise face written on every spectator. Well, they never thought that the strict school president is actually a good singer. Loud cheered erupted when the duo sing the chorus. Confetti started to fall and the students cheer even more. Their high-pitched voice and harmony perfectly match making the song even more beautiful than the original singer did. It was really the best performance they saw for the day. Sungmin smiles widely watching the spectacular performance.

 

“Surprise?”

 

Came a sudden voice from behind Sungmin. When she turned, Kyuhyun was there giving her a lopsided grin.

 

“So, this is the secret you kept me from.” Sungmin remarked and Kyuhyun nodded reluctantly, looking proud as ever.

 

Sungmin giggled softly, “Seriously Kyukyu, you are so unexpected.”

 

Kyuhyun smirked by the comment.

 

“This is who I am.” He exclaimed.

 

“But, how did you manage to convince Yeye? As far as I concern, he’s known to be the conservative type.” Sungmin questioned.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled at the word Sungmin used to represent Yesung, “It’s not that difficult. I just told him that Ryeowook loves his voice. He can’t really say no against it, right? Furthermore, this is a chance of a lifetime. He’s quite pabo if he rejected it.” He explained.

 

Sungmin nodding her head few times, agreed with Kyuhyun’s opinion.

 

“Aren’t you happy to see them like that, Sungminie?”

 

Sungmin hummed, “Really happy. Thank you so much, Kyukyu.” She thanked sincerely, flashing her sweetest smile.

 

Kyuhyun blushed mildly by the sweetness. He smiled at her back.

 

“I’m glad that you like the surprise.”

 

“Still, Kyukyu.” Sungmin called softly, “It’s a shame…that I couldn’t see you singing on stage…” She mumbled under her breath, “One day…will you let me see you singing on stage?”

 

Stunned. Kyuhyun’s mouth hangs open by the sudden request. Sungmin hid her shy face away from Kyuhyun’s stare so that he will not notice the blush on her cheeks. After a few seconds of processing, a grin surfaced.

 

“Of course. Anything for you, Minnie.” He promised.

 

Both the smiled shyly and continued watching the performance until it reached the of the surprise.

 

haru jinagamyeon
areumdawossdeon geunyeo moseup
jiul su isseulkkayo
han beonmanirado
dasi geu ttaero doraga
kkok hago sipeun mal

If a day passes,

will I be able to erase her beautiful features
Just once

I would want to go back to say the words I wanted to say
 

 

 

The song slowly reached its finale. Just as they expect for the performance to end, Yesung once again did the unexpected. He kneeled down on the stage and everyone breathed in deeply in time.

 

“Kim Ryeowook, I love you.”

 

“AHHHH!!!” loud hysterical scream filled the hall simultaneously.

 

Ryewook shed a tear, too touched by the confession. She nodded slowly and takes the hand of his lover. Both of them embraced tightly and the students screamed even more. Sungmin and her other friends squeal gleefully.

 

And yet, amidst of the happy cheering, there is someone watching the scene by the corner with pained expression. Amber slowly backs away few steps from the crowd. Her heart clenched and were completely crushed by the sudden romance. A tear was about to fall from her eyes when suddenly, a shadow came and embraced her firmly.

 

“Don’t look.” Henry hugged her tighter, shielding her from the painful picture.

 

Amber clinging onto Henry’s back desperately and cried. Her sobs were completely muffled by Henry’s warmth, making no one hear it. It really hurts her heart so much to hold onto the one-sided love and it even hurtful to know it ended just like that.

 

“It hurts…” she mumbled sadly in the embrace.

 

Henry didn’t utter a single word of comfort. For him, he knew that nothing could ease the girl’s pain. All he could do is only to give her hug.

 

/////

 

Kyuhyun happily walked, or skipped from in the school hallway. He can’t stop grinning ever since the conversation and promised she made with Sungmin just now. He is indeed pleased and expected for that moment to come sooner. While he was walking, he out of blue saw someone crouching down on the floor. His eyes widened upon recognized the person.

 

“Aunt Jungsoo?!” Kyuhyun screamed upon seeing Leeteuk curling into a ball, crying by the wall.

 

“K…Kyu…hyun” Leeteuk called, crying in every word.

 

Kyuhyun rushed to her side, panicking.

 

“What’s wrong with you? Did you hurt yourself somewhere?” Kyuhyun asked worriedly.

 

Leeteuk shakes her head, but tears still flowing fast from her eyes. Kyuhyun hold Leeteuk’s arms and pulls her into a tight embrace. Leeteuk cried harder.

 

“I’m sorry…really…I’m so…sorry…sorry…” she sobbing hard, worrying Kyuhyun even more.

 

Without saying anything, Kyuhyun tightened the hug. He has never seen his aunt so broken like that before. Yes, Leeteuk or her name is Park Jungsoo is actually his aunt and she is another secret that no students actually knew about. He didn’t have any specific reason to hide the identity, but her aunt requested it to be a secret. He, being the good nephew, only obeying order.

 

Kyuhyun knew from her grandmother to how secretive his aunt is. He didn’t understand the reason why but he never asks much about it. He didn’t want to be call as nosy. But now, seeing the unexpected situation of Leeteuk, he can’t help to wonder why with all the secrets for all those times. For now, he needs to find a way to calm her before something much worse happened.

 

With that, the school festival concluded successfully with varies of emotion mixed in one day. Each person experience difference feel. Shock, touched, sadness, happy and heartbreak. Some secrets have started to reveal and some memories has started to surface itself. This will be the key point to more stories in the future for them to break through.

 

 

TBC

 

 

The duet performance at the festival was inspired by this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOu8xIobwDI. Because it’s such a beautiful song with beautiful meanings