We meet

Voice

 

CHAPTER 39

 

It’s been a week after the school festival ended. It’s been a week also I kept myself away from the world. Why? Why must fate so cruel at me? Why must my past come back to haunt me again?

 

Leeteuk’s steps were heavy as she walked towards her apartment. She has changed so much in that past week. Her appetite decreased and she has been having lack of sleep. She’s been deprived and no one actually knew about it. She has no one to blame though. She’s the one who chose to ignore everyone care about her. The mystery of her past was still unknown to other people too, especially her lover.

 

“Jungsoo.”

 

Leeteuk jerked by the sudden voice. She hesitantly turned behind and gasped as fears engulf her upon seeing the person. It was Sungjin, the one she didn’t want to see the most.

 

“W…what are you doing here? How did you know that…I live here?” she asked, totally averting her eyes away from the other.

 

Sungjin scanned Leeteuk’s figure from head to toe with sad eyes. He noticed the shivering on her body.

 

“I don’t think I need to answer that question right? You already know who and what I am capable of, Jungsoo. This is not a difficult task for me.” He said coldly.

 

Leeteuk looked away from Sungjin. She knew that Sungjin is the leader of a yakuza group. So, to find an address is just a small matter for him. But, it just doesn’t feel right.

 

“I have nothing to talk with you. Please leave.” She demanded, and turned to the door to open it.

 

“Jungsoo wait.”

 

“Don’t touch me!”

 

Leeteuk screamed with just a touch from Sungjin.

 

“I…I don’t want to talk to you oppa, please. Please…just leave. There’s nothing to talk about too. We’re not even related or anything. Please leave me alone. I just want to live in peace.” She rambled, while trying her best to put the key into the lock which become unexpectedly difficult.

 

“It’s been so many years. I just…I really don’t…”

 

“It’s not your fault.” Sungjin cuts her.

 

Leeteuk tensed.

 

“What has happened in that year was not your fault at all. Sungmin also…didn’t blame anyone.”

 

“Because she didn’t know!” she retorted immediately, “If only, if only she knew everything…she will never forgive me! She will not even look at me! You don’t understand a thing about how I feel oppa! You don’t…know…” tears drop by drop fall from her eyes.

 

The sadness and tears she kept for all those years finally fall through. She really hates herself for being that weak. But, she couldn’t do anything. In those years of hiding, she blamed herself and running away from the Lee family. And still, in the end, destiny still chose to reunite her with the ‘Lees’ in the most unexpected way. The one she’s been protecting is actually the one she been running away from. She was frustrated and yet, she can’t do anything to vent it go.

 

“WHAT DID YOU DO?!”

 

A loud voice shouted so suddenly. Before Leeteuk and Sungjin got to react to anything, the said man dashed forward and fiercely pushed Sungjin to the wall in rage, shocking both of them.

 

“KANGIN?!”

 

“What did you do to my Jungsoo?!” he choked Sungjin’s neck hard.

 

Sungjin didn’t show any pain and looked extremely normal instead with the attack.

 

“Kangin stop it! Let him go!” Leeteuk begged as she tried to pull Kangin’s hand away from the hold.

 

“NO! He hurt you right?! That’s why you’re crying!”

 

“No! It’s not like what you think!” she retorted, “Stop it!” she begged as Kangin is nowhere to stop.

 

“How dare you make my girlfriend cry?! I will kill you! Yah!!”

 

“NO!”

 

“ARGGH!” But, just before Kangin managed to punch Sungjin in the face, it was Sungjin first moved.

 

In split of second, the attacker changed. It was Kangin who got punched and pushed hard on the floor.

 

“I hope you still didn’t forget who I am, Kim Youngwoon.” Sungjin’s voice was stern and his eyes darkened, “I was called as fearless leader for a reason. Remember that.” he warned.

 

And Kangin out.

 

/////

 

At the other part of the town, Sungmin was alone waiting by the road. She hummed a song to ease her boredom while waiting for her other friends to arrive. They promise to study at the library that day.

 

“Sorry, miss.”

 

“Ah!” Sungmin jumped a little by the sudden touch.

 

She turned in an instant and a man was standing in front of her. In his hand, there’s a piece of paper.

 

“Did I surprise you? Sorry.” He apologized again, realizing his mistake.

 

“Ah, no it’s okay. I’m fine.” Sungmin replied, smiling at him.

 

He smiled back at her.

 

“Actually, I’m a bit lost here…I’m hoping if you could actually help me.”

 

Sungmin’s head tilted to the side, “What is it? I’ll try to help if I can.” She said, being polite.

 

He flashed a bright smile, out of instinct making a ‘kyun’ sound in Sungmin’s heart.

 

“I’m looking for a friend’s house. Did you possibly know where this address is situated?” he showed the paper to Sungmin.

 

Sungmin read it in her mind. She stares at it long with a deep frown. She thinks and thinks over again. After for some quite time, she turned to the man with an awkward smile.

 

“Well?”

 

“Sorry…” she apologized.

 

“Eh?”

 

“Truthfully…it has only been few months of my stay in Korea, which means I’m still new and not so much familiar of the road here. So…the address is…I don’t know. Sorry.” Sungmin reasoned our apologetically.

 

“Ah…is that so?”

 

“Sorry!” Sungmin bowed 90 degree to the man.

 

The stranger laughed lightly.

 

“No, it’s fine. I’m just asking. It’s not your fault at all.”

 

Sungmin unconsciously pouted. She wants to help but she seriously didn’t know much about the Korea’s road. The stranger looks at Sungmin with an unreadable expression. A smile was still on his lips.

 

“Ah! I know!” something clicked in Sungmin’s thought.

 

She rummaged inside her backpack and reached out her phone.

 

“I know what can help. My uncle created an app for me to use. He said to use it whenever I’m lost. Well, I think this is a situation that calls for it. Can I have the address please?”

 

“Ah, here.” The man blankly hands in the piece of paper to Sungmin.

 

Sungmin typed the address into the app on her phone.

 

“Will it work?” He asked out of curiosity.

 

“Certainly. My uncle already tested it once. And since it was him himself who created it, I’m even more certain. My uncle is somehow a genius in these kinds of thing.” Sungmin praises, didn’t even hide the feelings of proud of her uncle.

 

“He always nagged me to use it whenever I got lost somewhere.” Sungmin added more.

 

“You seem to get lost very often.” He commented.

 

“True actually.” Sungmin replied giggles cutely, “Okay. According to this, we are not that far from this place. From where we stand, walk straight…”

 

Sungmin started walking leading the way. The man also walked, followed Sungmin right beside her.  Together, they walked following the direction from the application. Sometimes, they make some small talk to lessen the awkwardness.

 

“Alright then! Just turn from here and we’ve arrive! Ah!” Sungmin announced in excitement but to be disappointed instantly.

 

She and the man stopped with eyes wide staring at where Sungmin’s hand is pointed. Not like what Sungmin expected it to be, the place where they arrived was not a house but an abandoned place instead. There’s a signboard of ‘abandoned’ pierced onto the ground right in front of their sight.

 

“Sorry…” Sungmin apologized unconsciously with trembling lips, “I wasn’t any help at all.” She blamed.

 

Her gazes were down that she didn’t even realize the smile on the stranger’s look. He looked at Sungmin with soft eyes. Slowly, he reached for Sungmin and patted her head. Sungmin turned up by the touch.

 

“Gwenchana, princess.” He said and Sungmin swears she could feel a glint from the touch.

 

She blinked innocently watching the smiling man.

 

“Are you…really okay?” she unsurely asked.

 

The man nodded still with a smile.

 

“Of course I am. Also, you don’t need to apologize for anything. I am perfectly okay. I already expected for this.” He explained.

 

And yet, Sungmin was still pouting. She understood what has been told, but she still feels like blaming herself on that.

 

“Really sure?”

 

The man let out light chuckles. He nodded again.

 

“Yes, I’m really sure. Furthermore, you, helping me till here is already good enough.” He assured.

 

“Okay then…” Sungmin trailed her words and suddenly they were interrupted by the ringing of Sungmin’s phone.

 

“Ah sorry…” Sungmin apologized and excused herself to take the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Minnie? Where are you?” Kyuhyun from the other line asked immediately, “Did something happened? I didn’t see you at our meeting place.” He questioned worriedly.

 

“Kyukyu…I’m on the way now. There’s something happened, but I’ll tell you after this. Just give me few minutes, okay?” she explained.

 

“Oh…really? Okay. I’ll wait here.”

 

“Have the others arrived?”

 

“Ryeowook and Yesung hyung were already waiting at the library. And the stupid couple is on the way too. Hae asked me to wait for them here.” Kyuhyun nagged.

 

Sungmin laughed softly, “We will wait together, Kyukyu. I will see you soon. Bye.” She hung up and turned back to the man.

 

“Your friend?”

 

Sungmin nodded faintly.

 

“I’m sorry that I took so much of your time.”

 

Sungmin shakes her head, “No, you didn’t take so much. Furthermore, I didn’t actually help anything.”

 

“You’ve done great. This is enough.” He retorted.

 

They smiled at each other. It is in fact their first meeting, but both of them agreed in heart that they are comfortable with each other’s presence. They looked like they have been familiar for so long.

 

“Anyway, I got to treat you for something.”

 

“Ah but I…”

 

“No buts, I insist.” He cuts Sungmin’s word, “Here. I work as a barista at this café.”

 

He gave Sungmin a card.

 

“Pay a visit with your friends anytime you like. I’ll treat you to delicious chocolate drink.” He offered, and succeeds in making Sungmin smile.

 

He smiled back at him.

 

“Ah, before I forget. Tell me your name. Though I don’t really mind to continue calling you princess I still think it’s inappropriate for you, right?” He joked.

 

Sungmin laughed, “You’re right. My name is Lee Sungmin.” she introduced herself, “And you oppa?”

 

“D.O.” he responded back, short and too simple.

 

“Eh?”

 

“You can call me D.O. Uncle D.O is fine too. I’m not that young to begin with.” He explained more.

 

Though still confused, Sungmin nodded approvingly.

 

“Okay, Uncle D.O it is. Nice to meet you!” she extended her hand.

 

“Em. Nice to meet you too, Sungminie.” He accepts the hand wholeheartedly.

 

Sungmin laughed at the nickname. She didn’t even mind the man being so relaxed with her.

 

“You better get going now. Your friends must be waiting for you.” D.O reminded her.

 

Sungmin smiled at him and excused herself. She took her a few steps away from the man and turned behind for the last time.

 

She waved, “Bye uncle D.O!”

 

D.O waved back at her and continued watching until Sungmin’s figure finally disappeared from his sight. Right after Sungmin was gone, his expression changed. He turned to the abandoned place and walked closer to the stone wall. He pulled off the vines that covered the wall to reveal a plate name. A family’s plate name.

 

“Lee.”

 

He reads it out loud.

 

/////

 

“Kyukyu!” Sungmin called out running happily towards the waiting Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun smiled brightly after seeing her.

 

“Did you wait long? Sorry.” She apologized when she reached him.

 

“No, I’m alright. Where did you come from? I thought that you’re supposed to be coming from…here?” he pointed to the opposite site from where Sungmin come from.

 

Sungmin laughed sheepishly.

 

“Something happened.” Replied Sungmin short.

 

Kyuhyun frowned, “Something? Ah, is it the same thing that you talk about on the phone?”

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

“There’s a man looking for a house. I helped him finding a way…though it didn’t help much.” She shortened the whole story into one.

 

“Didn’t help? You didn’t find the house?”

 

Sungmin shakes her head, “We found it but the place was abandoned. And it seems so long with the trees and vines everywhere. It’s almost resembles a haunted house.” She explained.

 

“Well, you did your best.” Kyuhyun reassured, after he notices a pout on her.

 

A smile spread on Sungmin. Of course, she didn’t put it to heart.

 

“Ah, here. I got this on the way for you.” Kyuhyun put forward something to Sungmin.

 

Sungmin’s eyes grew big in an instant, “BUBBLE TEA!” She exclaimed excitedly.

 

“For me?”

 

Kyuhyun nodded. Sungmin cheered and gleefully took the drink from Kyuhyun’s hold.

 

“I’m glad that you like it. I heard from someone on how much you favor the drink.” Kyuhyun talked while Sungmin on the other hand already started drinking.

 

Kyuhyun smiled widely watching Sungmin’s cute attic.

 

“Want some Kyukyu?” Sungmin’s offered, though not so sincere.

 

Kyuhyun just smile and shakes his head.

 

“It’s okay. I bought it for you especially. So drink it. I think it’s enough for you to kill the time till the duo arrived.”

 

Sungmin smiled wider and continued drink for some more. For Kyuhyun, to see her smile is really the happiest moment ever and that is all that matter.

 

/////

 

Back to Leeteuk’s house, the sudden storm that happened has finally cooled down. Leeteuk has been staring at the sleeping Kangin for a few minutes now. There’s a bruise on the corner of his lips due to the punch from Sungjin.

 

You should have listened to me, idiot.

 

She scolded mentally while brushing the hair away from her boyfriend’s forehead.

 

After received a hard blow from Sungjin, Kangin completely lost his conscious. Leeteuk was so shocked. She knew that Sungjin has the strength to knock out someone with one blow, she just didn’t expect for him to still have the power to do so after so long. Sungjin was angry with the accusation. Yet, she was glad that he holds back himself and helps him into her apartment.

 

FLASHBACK.

 

“I assumed that he didn’t know a thing about me and you, Jungsoo.” Sungjin stated while Leeteuk settled Kangin on her sofa.

 

Leeteuk silenced herself.

 

“I’m sorry.” He apologized, for no specific reason.

 

“It must be quite a shock for you, I’m sorry. I know that you’ve been trying your best to hide yourself from us. But, remember that we are capable of finding you, Jungsoo.”

 

“Then why…” Leeteuk whispered the question without turning back.

 

Sungjin paused from directly replied to her.

 

“Because it’s you.”

 

Leeteuk feel a twinge by the casual answer.

 

“Like I said, everything that happened was not your fault. My hyung and noona…what happened to them was beyond our expectation. I don’t want you to keep blaming yourself like this.” He paused, “But, at the same time I don’t want you to feel guilty to keep being with us. Maybe that’s why I decided to not look for you. Maybe that’s the reason I ordered my men to let you hide yourself.” Sungjin explained long.

 

His eyes softened while looking at her, “You can decide whatever you want to do with your life, Jungsoo. I didn’t mean to do anything to you, what else to hurt you. But, just remember that no matter what, you are still a part of our family.” He added more.

 

Leeteuk didn’t say a single word of retort.

 

Sungjin’s eyes turned to Kangin. Truthfully, he’s quite shock to encounter that man in that situation. He didn’t expect for him to be related to her in anyhow. All he knew was just the fact that he’s one of the

Kim Clan and Sungmin’s senior at school. Now, with the confession of love he’s shown and anger, he knew that Leeteuk meant everything to him.

 

Sungjin let out a heavy sigh, “I will not bother you if you didn’t want me to. Just rest.” He told the latter in flat tone and walked away.

 

FLASHBACK END.

 

How can you expect me to tell him if not even my family knew about you, Sungjin oppa. Leeteuk thought, once again on the verge of tears.

 

She really didn’t want to go back to her past. But, seeing the condition of how twisted the fate has given her, she knew she has nowhere else to run anymore. Slowly, she moved closer to Kangin and lifted his hand before she climbed onto the couch beside the lover. She lied closer to Kangin’s chest just next to his heart. Kangin was still in deep sleep which he didn’t even stir from the movement.

 

She heard the thumping of Kangin’s heart beating in a melody and miraculously it calmed her a bit by bit. Gently, she closed her eyes and clings closer to Kangin.

 

It’s tiring. Why must we meet this way? She questioned the fate.

 

She let the tear fall from her eyes and tires herself out to sleep in the arms she missed so much. She prayed that when she wakes up, hopefully the pain will go away.

 

 

 

TBC