Wishful thinking

THE COLLECTOR: Crossing Fates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp90g9vyRFU

 

“Even when I die, don’t cry, okay?” Kris froze at her words.

‘I came here to retrieve your life.’

His own words rang through his ears.

 

Tao who had taken a rest from playing suddenly interrupted, “Don’t worry, people like Kris-hyung doesn’t cry.”

“Really?” Seohyun eyed Kris. “You know what I think?”

“What?” Tao excitedly replied while cuddling Dubu.

“I think Kris will cry a river for me,” Seohyun stated happily. Tao suddenly stopped playing with Dubu and turned to his hyung, whom he had just noticed, has turned rigid beside her.

“Now that you think about it, one could only cry if they truly care for someone. Kris cares for me so, he should cry for me, right?” Seohyun playfully looked at Tao for approval.

“That's impossible,” The younger guy was no longer holding her dog and was looking at her seriously.

Seohyun let out a heartfelt laugh, ignorant on the forming weird atmosphere. “I know that. I was just kidding!”

She turned her gaze to Kris and playfully hit his arm, “Kris would never cry for a girl like me...” she was smiling but with just that thought, it saddened her, too. '...such a pity'

“You should go back to your room, its getting dark already.” Kris pulled his arm from her. He stood up and fixed his clothing.

“Okay.” Seohyun simply followed. “Dubu~!” she sweetly called her dog, and it was running back to her actively. She immediatey caught her dog and hugged it really tightly. She gave Dubu a few ear scratches and kissed it's head for the last time.

“Be a good girl, Dubu~”

She, then, released the dog and gave it to Tao,

“I'll leave her to your care in bringing her back home, all right?”

Tao nodded without looking at her. Seohyun noticed his gloomy stature, “What the... Why are you being so sad suddenly?” The said man simply shook his head, and instinctively, Seohyun ruffled his hair.

“We'll be going” Kris intermediated. “Don't let yourself get caught for sneaking out, okay?”

“Understood!” she playfully saluted. “So, bye~!” she ran and turned to give a last wave.

He softened as he watched her. Seeing that she's gone, he immediately turned to Tao and motioned to prepare to fly. 

 

After dropping off her dog, Tao and Kris proceeded to finish another assignment, killing off a dirty loan shark and a couple of his men this time. After which, he no longer waited for his co-collectors to arrive and immediately left the scene with Tao. It was already midnight when they arrived back at their condo, Kris immediately went to the sofa and the tv while Tao headed to their kitchen for water.

“Are you not going to freshen up?” Tao asked his hyung carefully but the man didn't reply. Throughout the trip after leaving the hospital, his hyung was silent and was clearly not in the mood.

Kris, on the other hand, was trying to watch tv but not one show amused him. So, he simply turned it off. 

He stood up and moved by the low window. He found himself lost just by looking up at the moon, providing him for no answers to his questions. His elbows were crossed on the sill, his head against his arms. He took out his treasured ring and stared at it thoughtfully.

Suddenly, a hand gripped his shoulder,

“Hyung,” Tao called. “You’re starting to forget it, don’t you?”

Kris placed the ring back on the pocket of his coat and looked at his brother weirdly.

“Our real goal.”

Kris looked down, “Yeah.”

“Even so, you’ve got to hurry up and take her soul… Okay?”

The moon was especially luminescent white that night, pure and pristine. Kris couldn't remember the last time it had been so white. 

 “Okay.”

With a painstaking slowness, Kris opened the glass door leading to their condo's balcony. The strong cold wind greeted but it didn't bother him and flew right away.

‘Now’s the time. While she’s still sleeping, I’ll softly kiss her. Because whenever she’s awake, her smile gets in the way.’

Kris flew to the hospital in the middle of the night. He noticed that everyone else must have been asleep so, he took the risk of entering the hospital like a normal person.

The hallway was cold and silent. There wasn't even a clock to drive away ticks and tocks. Nothing but the silence to keep him company.

Kris took a deep sigh before entering. When he opened her door, Kris stared at the bed. Seohyun was not in it. 

It alerted him.

==============================

‘The moon was so incredibly beautiful,’ Seohyun thought. Well, what little could be seen of it anyway.  It was cloudy, so no stars could be seen, but there was a gap in the clouds where a silver of the moon peeked out, and which lit up a small patch on the roof in which she was sitting on. 

Right now, Seohyun did not desire anyone’s company. No concerned glances or sympathetic speeches. Or, worst of all, pity.

The roof may have been cold, but at least it was quiet, with only the moon for company. ‘Just the way I liked it. The way—’ she gave a bitter smile at the irony of the thought ‘– I wished it.’

Yes. The true reason why Seo Juhyun was sitting on a rooftop in the middle of the night, staring at the moon.

Nobody but the moon could witness her tears.

From sitting position, she moved her knees closer to her chest and she buried her face on her arms. Without making a sound, tears started to flow. Such bitter tears,

Then a low voice called, “Seohyun”

Perhaps Seohyun realized, all along, that Kris would eventually come.

“I was wondering where you disappeared to,” Kris said. Her long hair was unkempt and down over her shoulders; the hospital gown swayed and swished around her, quivering in a non-existent wind.

“Aren't you cold?” his voice rung through her, surrounding her with its warmth.

“Its a nice kind of cold. I felt the room has become too stuffy.” She didn't turn around, but she's sure he could sense the shivering in her voice.

He walked up behind her and took off his coat. Kris kneeled beside her and made Seohyun face him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter