BAEKHYUN - or how to be a hot mess

Over the rainbow, second star to the right and straight on till morning
BaekHyun was tired of ChanYeol's whining. The half-troll wasn't just tall, he also had a really big mouth. Which was kind of a problem when you were working under cover. But she shouldn't be complaining as he was also really good at his job. 
ChanYeol was friendly so people tended to talk honestly and a lot around him and his height allowed him to spot many things from afar. They were a good team and BaekHyun wouldn't want to trade him in a million years.
 
"I'm hungry," the half-troll said as they walked past another diner.
 
"We just ate," the purple-haired woman replied.
 
"That was merely a snack," ChanYeol protested. "And I want to eat real food. KyungSoo's food."
 
"Well you can go back to your husband as soon as you get your job done," BaekHyun said sighing.
 
"But how are we going to find this boy? He is supposedly easy to spot with his hair and ears but we have been looking for weeks and still no sign of him. Maybe he's not on Europe anymore, and we don't even know if he's alive for sure. I mean, maybe we're looking for somebody that can't be found," the tall man kept rambling and all this negativity was starting to get on BaekHyun's nerves.
 
"Hey!" she turned around abruptly, "Stop your whining and-"
 
"We're being followed," the tall man hushed his partner with a finger.
 
BaekHyun started to walk again. They were used to this kind of situation and knew by now how to act 'normal'.
 
"You see him?" she asked ChanYeol who was holding a face recognition device and was discreetly trying to get a good shot of the unknown stalker.
 
"Yep, got it," he slid his tongue back into his mouth and grinned from ear to ear.
 
The halt-nereid linked arms with the tall dark-haired man as if they were a couple and read the information that popped out on the screen.
 
"Kim JongDae, twenty-two years old, Human, Korean," BaekHyun scrolled down, her eyes printing in any useful information. "That's weird," she finally said.
 
"What?" ChanYeol asked, moving closer. "What is it?"
 
"He was working for GSI and suddenly quit," the woman frowned. "Just around the time that Therianthrope-"
 
"So you think he knows something about it?" the half-troll cut in, impatient as always.
 
"I don't know yet," BaekHyun groaned. But then a brilliant idea hit her mind. "You know what? You go back to Kyungsoo and I will take care of this."
 
"Really?" ChanYeol beamed, showing his incredibly white teeth.
 
"Yes," the magenta-haired girl rushed him. "Just go, before I change my mind."
 
The tall man immediately crossed the street without even waving goodbye and BaekHyun looked at the identity picture on the screen again.
 
"Well, looks like it's just you and me, Kim JongDae." She her bottom lip and turned down the next empty alley she saw. 
 
 
 
 
"It's BaekHyun. Byun BaekHyun."
 
That said, the half-nereid walked away. She liked to be dramatic and maybe that's why she was able to connect with JongDae so fast -amongst other things-. She quickly ran off before the man could ask her anything else or follow her and took out her phone.
 
"Yeol," BaekHyun said after the third ring. "Meet me at the ship."
 
The half-nereid took a few turns before getting away from the crowded town and arrived at a hangar where many spaceships were parked. But the moment she walked in she was shoved against the wall.
 
"Did you find it?" asked a tall man with a very deep voice it sent shivers to BaekHyun every time he spoke.
 
"Not yet," she answered and added a "Tomorrow" after the man's hard look.
 
The purple-haired woman knew her employer didn't accept failure and honestly she was regretting ever taking this job in the first place seeing how the man just mention the Therianthrope as "it". But she and ChanYeol could definitely use the money. I mean it was unbelievable how much his guy was willing to spend to get his hands on this SeHun boy. But BaekHyun didn't give it too much thought. This so called job was her only income and ChanYeol and KyungSoo owned a cooking cart but that was certainly not enough.
 
The short woman got away from the blue-haired man and gave further explanations.
 
"They don't trust me yet," she looked away as she couldn't bare the tall man's cold eyes. "I'm not even sure if they are going to bring the boy."
 
The man stood silent and it only scared BaekHyun more.
 
"How many are they?" he took out his phone from his blue velour suit and started to write a text.
 
"I'm not sure," the woman bit her lower lip.
 
"What do you know then?" the man sounded exasperated and angry at the same time and there was no worse combination.
 
"The man I met is named Kim JongDae and he is the navigator," BaekHyun tried to stay composed. "The captain is a Chinese man named LuHan and he is friends with GSI's heir, Kim JunMyeon. And if we add the boy, that means they are at least four." The half-nereid curled her hands into fists to prevent herself from shaking.
 
But the man didn't even look at her and finished typing. He got out the hangar with a sharp "Send me the location," and disappeared as suddenly as he appeared.
 
Silence filled the hangar and BaekHyun could finally breathe. She let herself fall to the ground and stayed there for a moment to calm herself.
The thing was that ChanYeol didn't know who was their employer for this case but it was for the best. The half-troll trusted the woman with his life and BaekHyun felt bad this time but this was their chance to start anew and make changes in their life. This was their last mission before freedom and the magenta-haired girl was now more sure than ever that she would never work for other people than herself ever again.
 
She took a deep breath and walked to her ship where ChanYeol was waiting.
 
"Hey," she said in the best cheery voice she could manage.
 
"How did it go?" the tall dark-haired man asked all excited.
 
He was all over her like a little puppy despite his height and the woman couldn't help but smile. That was the thing with ChanYeol: he always seemed happy and he had the mysterious power to pass his joy to others.
 
"I did it of course," BaekHyun waved dramatically as she put one hand on her hip, "We're meeting them tomorrow," and added a wink just to be sure her friend wouldn't suspect anything weird.
 
"That's great," the half-troll beamed with a wide smile and the woman nodded.
 
If everything went smoothly they could just forget all this and go some place far away where no one knew them and they could live in peace.  
 
"I'm sorry I called you back just for this," the half-nereid said with a sheepish grin.
 
The truth was that BaekHyun was afraid of her heartless employer and even though he got to her again, she just felt safer with ChanYeol.
 
BaekHyun knew she was being selfish but everybody was a little, right?
 
"What are you talking about," the tall man smiled some more. "This is excellent news and we should totally celebrate." He held the purple-haired girl by her shoulders. "I'll call Soo and we can feast."
 
BaekHyun finally smiled honestly. If it wasn't for her always over positive best friend she would have given up on life a long time ago.
 
"Okay, but I want some spicy chicken."
 
 
 
 
As she ate, sitting in the small kitchen of ChanYeol and KyungSoo's apartment, BaekHyun thought about JongDae. He didn't seem gullible or stupid, on the contrary, he looked just as devious and scheming as her. So why did he agree so easily? Of course she made him agree, but still. He couldn't have seen through her, right? I mean, technically she didn't lie to him.
 
"What's the matter?" KyungSoo asked in his soft voice, sitting across from her.
 
The dark-haired man was a year younger than BaekHyun and ChanYeol but the woman felt like he was a lot more wiser and mature than the both of them. She liked him and his big popping eyes very much and was glad that her best friend met someone like him. Someone like Do KyungSoo.
He was also an excellent cook and BaekHyun vowed she would never eat spicy chicken unless it was made by the young short man. 
Regular chicken was OK though.
 
"I'm just tired I guess," the magenta-haired woman said sighing.
 
"More like troubled," KyungSoo laughed a little. "Is this about that Kim JongDae?"
 
BaekHyun froze. She could say all she wanted that it was about that scary blue-haired man, but it wasn't. So the half-nereid darted her tongue to slid it back in and bit her lip, clearly showing that she was busted.
 
KyungSoo chuckled.
 
"ChanYeol explained. 'Smiley, cherubic face.' I know you by now." He put his elbows on the table and rested his head on his hands, looking at BaekHyun. "So, tell me."
 
"There's nothing to tell," the half-nereid denied a little too quickly and she cleared .
 
"For now~," ChanYeol chimed next to them, his mouth full of spring roll.
 
BaekHyun made a disgusted face but KyungSoo just cooed and wiped his husband's face lovingly.
 
Well 'husband' wasn't an official title as they weren't married by the law but what did it matter. They loved each other and were happy together and that was the important thing.
 
Maybe we could find a star where they could be legally bonded, BaekHyun thought. 
 
"It doesn't matter," the magenta-haired woman waved away the image of JongDae stuck in her head. Soon they would be away from all this and that was all she needed to focus on.
 
She wanted to forget this as fast as possible and feel at ease but then again she couldn't as BaekHyun kept wondering what would become of SeHun the Therianthrope after she handed him over to that hateful employer and how it would affect Kim JongDae.
 
"Hey, Yeol," she said after taking a deep breath. 
 
She was so going to get in trouble.
 
"I have a confession to make."
 
 
 
 
 
--------------------------------------
 
Hello!
So how did you guys like this chapter? I hope you enjoyed it x) 
 
Thank you for reading, commenting, subscribing, upvoting, and all that jazz~
I love you very much^^
 
xoxo~