nine

Aftermath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Myungsoo’s

I'd like to say we gave it a try

I'd like to blame it all on life

Maybe we just weren't right, but that's a lie, that's a lie

And we can deny it as much as we want

But in time our feelings will show

 

 

“Myungsoo!! Myungsoo!!”

 

 

I heard someone is calling my name while I’m busy doing my homework. Isn’t it weird someone is calling me in the middle of the night like this? I’m standing up from my bed and straighten up my clothes before I’m going outside my room and going downstairs. I heard my mom is talking with someone before I’m walking further when I see who it is. It’s Naeun.

 

 

“Mrs.Kim, I’m sorry for disturbing you like this, but is Myungsoo in here?”

 

 

“Yes dear, come inside.” I see my mother step aside to let Naeun come inside. “What’s wrong dear?”

 

 

“Naeun?” I finally talked to her, when both of them are turning their attention to me, “What’s wrong?”

 

 

It’s already night, past eight to be exact when Naeun got here. It’s just weird to see her come to my house out of nowhere. I’m not that close to her, we’ve been talking several times at school since we got into the same junior high school and high school as well, and to be noted that her home is just next to mine. But it’s just surprised me when she comes to my home one day.

 

 

Naeun turns her head to my directions as her gazes going backwards to me and to my mom. I know that Naeun wants to talk to me in private. I’m good at reading people. I cleared my throat, and my mom is quickly nodding her head, knowing exactly what I mean. “Well, I’ll let both of you to talk. Just call me when you need something.”

 

 

I nod my head before I asked Naeun to following me and both of us are going towards my room. I let Naeun come inside first, before I walked inside as well. I let the door open to make sure that Naeun didn’t feel awkward at all. It’s boy’s room for God’s sake! Naeun is the only girl that’s coming into my room beside my mom, well, my mom can’t be count, so she’s the first girl to come here.

 

 

“So…what’s wrong? Is this about homework?” I turn my head to see her, while she’s keep sitting on my bed and she’s lowering her head. Okay, this is getting awkward than I’m expecting. I don’t know what’s going on in here, she come out of nowhere in the middle of the night and now she didn’t want to talk.

 

 

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…” I heard her crying and sobbing; before I started to freak out. I don’t know what to do! I’m only fifteen years old. I just started going on high school and I don’t know how to handle a girl especially when she’s crying! My only friend, Lee Sungyeol, can’t be trusted when it comes to girl. He’s as dumb as I am.

 

 

“Don’t cry! Please!”

 

 

I heard her crying even harder and I’m panicking even more. I don’t know what’s wrong, and maybe I shouted a little to her, but hey, I’m freaking out in here! Oh God Oh God!! My father will kill me if he knew that I made a girl cry. Well, I’m not the one who make her cry, I don’t even know what’s wrong, and I don’t think I’m teasing her at school neither. I’m hesitated for a moment before I’m coming to her, and pat her shoulder.

 

 

“I don’t know what’s wrong with you…if it’s because of what I did to you, I’m sorry, I really am. Please stop crying, I will make it up to you…just tell me what wrong, maybe I can help…you”

 

 

“My parents…are going to divorce.” She’s finally talked, “My momma cried all day, and my dad didn’t stop shouting and throwing things to her…I’m scared. I don’t know where to go…I’m scared…my dad will kill my momma.”

 

 

“No, he won’t!” I shouted again before she turned her head and her eyes looks really puffy and red. “He won’t kill your momma, okay? My dad said that it’s not okay if a man throws thing to a woman. He won’t do that, okay?”

 

 

She nods lightly and she wipes her tears with the back of her hand. I notice it before I take a box of tissues on the top of my table before giving it to her. “Here, don’t use your hand.”

 

 

She nods her head and grabs a tissue before she wipes her tears away. I cleared my throat as I don’t know what to do. She’s leaving out a heavy sighed, “I’m sorry…I’m coming into your home in the night…I don’t know where to go. I don’t have much friend, and her house is so far away. I’m sorry.”

 

 

“It’s okay; you can come here if you want to talk again. Maybe, I can help.” I smile a little bit. She looks so fragile and I want to protect her. Well, not physically, I’m not that tall, but I’m sure that I can protect her. “Let’s be friend, eh? I will let you to meet Sungyeol as well; he will be pleased to know a girl.”

 

 

She nods her head and smile is finally curved into her face. She’s beautiful and I just notice it. And that’s the very first time that I know her better and that’s the very first time I want to protect her so bad.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

Today is March thirteen, and I’m turning sixteen today. My mom said that I should have a birthday party today, but I refused it. I’m not a little kid anymore; I don’t want to celebrate it like what I have every year. I will spend some time with Sungyeol, and Naeun as well.

 

 

I’m getting up from my bed and checking up my phone but there’s no any message from Naeun. Did she forget that today is my birthday? I’m throwing my phone back on the top of my bed before I’m going to take a shower and changing up my clothes into a proper outfit. At least, I don’t want to get all smelly just because I don’t take a shower.

 

 

 

I’m walking downstairs after I’m done with everything when I heard someone is laughing at the kitchen. My mom never cooked when it comes to my birthday. She will bring a takeout food some cakes then we eat it together with my father as well. I’m getting nearer the kitchen when my mom is turning her body and she sees me. She’s smiling widely and quickly pulling me into a hug. “Oh my baby, you’re awake. Happy birthday darling!”

 

 

She kisses my cheek and I’m smiling widely. I look around but I only found my mom in there. It’s weird though, I really heard my mom is laughing with someone. “If you’re looking for someone, Naeun is in here before. She’s bringing some cakes.”

 

 

“Naeun is here? Where is she now?”

 

 

My mom is pointing out the door which is lead to the bathroom when I see Naeun is getting out from here. She’s looking at me and she’s smiling widely as well. Her smile that will always make my heart skips a beat. “Myungsoo!” She’s walking closer before she’s hugging me, “Happy birthday!”

 

 

“Thank you.” I’m ruffling her hair lightly before she’s going towards the refrigerator and taking out the cakes that I know that Naeun is the one that’s bringing that. “I brought you some cakes. Hope you like it!”

 

 

“Did you make it?” I turn my head towards the cake before I’m looking at her, “But you’re so bad when it comes to the kitchen.”

 

 

“YAAHH!!” She punches my shoulder, “Your mom helped me a lot. So, I hope that you like it.”

 

 

“She’s lying. I’m not doing much though, Naeun did almost everything, I’m just writing up the recipes.”

 

 

My mom is looking at both of us before she’s grabbing up some plates and forks as well for us to eat the cake. I’m slicing the cake before put it on the top of the plate and giving it towards my mom. She’s smiling widely before I’m giving out one slice for Naeun as well.

 

 

Three of us are busy eating the cakes before I’m standing up from my seat. I put the plates on the sink before I turn my head towards Naeun, “Naeun-ah, let’s go.”

 

 

“Eh? Where?”

 

 

“Come on, let’s go.” I pull her hand before I’m going towards my mom and kissing her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter