I Can't Outrun You Because You Keep on Appearing.

Coloured Kisses

 

I knew Kris and Kyungsoo were both giving me questioning look as I kept on yawning from my seat. We were ten minutes earlier from our Calculus class. I got the same schedule with them except Amber who was first annoyed when she realized it. I was sleepy, alright. I talked to Seohyun eonni, catching up with our daily lives.  I definitely missed her. She had been my ultimate sister and I thanked God for she got married to my brother and they both gave us the handsome Jung Chanyeol. Speaking of that little monster, he was surely adorable in his own ways. My parents loved their grandson to death. My mom cried bucket of tears when Yonghwa oppa decided to take over our main branch in LA.  She didn’t eat for a day not until Appa promised to visit them once in every month.  That left me hopeless. I couldn’t go with them because surely, I would miss my classes.  Thank God I got to talk to them last night. I remembered how silly my big brother was when his wife opened up about dating.

“Maybe you should start dating love.”

“You think so Eonni?”

“Yes.”

“No.”

I wanted to roll my eyes when Yonghwa Oppa appeared on the screen. The super protective big bro was on it again.

“Yong, Krystal is already 22! Stop treating her like a baby.”

“She can date once she reaches 28.”

My eyes grew wider after hearing his retort. Dear heavens, my brother was so impossible. I wanted to hit him numerous times like I used to when we were together. I heard him exclaiming “ouch” though. Oh, Seohyun eonni, thank you for doing it on my behalf.

“Don’t listen to your brother Soojung~ah.”

“Of course eonni.”

“Mwo?! I’m your brother Jung Soojung.”

“Yes. My brother who’s 30 years old but still act like 10. Tell me the relevance please.”

“Come here. Let me cut your tongue.”

I stuck out my tongue to annoy him more. Seriously, I missed hanging around with him. He’s protective yet he loved me so much.

“Okay, you can date but no hanky-panky.”

Did my brother just say that?Like really? Before I could answer him back, a small voice butted in.

“What’s hanky-panky Daddy?”

The three of us got silent until his mother spoke up first. “Baby Chan, I thought you’re playing in your room.”

“But Daddy left me. So what’s hanky-panky?”

“Ah.. hey, you want to greet Imo first?”

“Imo!Annyeong!”

“Baby Chan!! Annyeong!I missed you baby!”

“I missed you too Imo! When will you come here?”

“Summer!I’ll be there. Promise!”

“Yeppie!Did you hear that Mommy?Imo will be here!”

“Ne.”

“But Mommy what is hanky-panky?”

Oh boy, that’s Jung Chanyeol. He couldn’t stop asking if you wouldn’t give him an answer. You and your big mouth Jung Yonghwa! Thankfully, my brother carried him out saying they would eat ice cream. But before the door closed, we still heard their convo.

“Daddy, what’s hanky-panky?”

“Hanky-panky is vanilla ice cream baby. Now, be a good boy and let’s eat.”

We rolled on our beds laughing. Vanilla ice cream eh?

I tried not to laugh after remembering what happened. I slumped my body on the desk and yawned once again. Then someone flicked my head. Groaning, I looked up and saw the two boys.

“I know what you did last night.”

“Shut up Wu Fan.”

He stifled a giggle. Kyungsoo fixed my fringe. He was definitely the gentlest one from our group, and the sweetest too.

“Maybe you should get a coffee Krystal. Look at your eyes, they’re hopeless.”

“Hmm… I think I need that. “

“I want one too Pres!”

I nodded and left the room. I went straight to the cafeteria where a coffee vending machine was placed. I hummed a song while waiting for the drink. Minutes later but nothing came out. I groaned in frustration when I realized it stopped working. What should I do? Grab a Starbucks macchiato instead? But it was few blocks away from our school. I remember I didn’t bring my car because my darling father drove me here a while ago. I wanted to bang my head on the vending machine. I didn’t, but I kicked it hard. I decided to go for a walk. Five minutes more and I could sprint going back to the classroom anyway. Then my eyes went to a man walking towards the parking lot. He was wearing faded jeans and blue striped shirt. I checked the time and it was just 10am. Was he skipping from his classes? I ran towards him as he was about to ride on his motorcycle.

“Kang Minhyuk~ssi!”

He looked at me, a bit surprised. “Oh, look who’s here…”

“Are you skipping from you class?”

“No.”

“It’s 10am and surely, you have a schedule at this hour.”

“It’s none of your business.”

“It is my business. Give me your phone.”

“What?! Yah, are you crazy?”

I didn’t listen to him. I started grabbing his bag. I knew that students had their class schedules at their phones. I didn’t see it inside. I looked at him. He was just staring at me weirdly. Without thinking, I suddenly checked his pants’ pockets.

“Yah!Yah! Micheosso?!”

“Give me your phone.”

“Are you my mother? No!”

“Fine.” And I started checking again.

“Okay!Okay! Geez, you’re a crazy woman.” He was surely pissed but I ignored him. He handed over his phone and soon enough I saw his schedule. I was right all along. Before I could say something, he quickly snatched it back from my hand.

“Pres, this is not high school. Stop acting like some sort of disciplinarian.”

“I know but you should study well. Stop slacking off Minhyuk~ssi.”

“I said mind your own—“ He got startled when I hit his arm.  “What?!”

“This is all your fault! Now, I’m late for my Cal class!”

Minhyuk shook his head. He lazily rode on to his bike and started the engine.

“Kang Minhyuk!”

“What now Krystal~ssi?”

“Can I go with you?”

“Mwo?! Are you really thinking straight today?”

“You ruined my day too and it’s fair. Take me with you.”

Minhyuk hissed in annoyance before getting off. He grabbed his helmet and put it on me. He pushed my hair on the side. Then our eyes met. I quickly broke the contact and muttered my thanks. I noticed he just had one helmet.

“I think you need this because you’re the one driving.”

“No. I’m cool with this. Hop in.”

I placed my hands his shoulders. “I advise you to hold my waist instead or you’ll be thrown away later.”

“Shiro.”

“Fine. Don’t nag at me later telling I didn’t remind you.”

We drove off the school. We were speeding fast actually so I wrapped my arms on his waist nonetheless. I heard him chuckling but I didn’t mind. Unconsciously, I closed my eyes and placed my cheeks on his back. I felt so free. Surely, it was my first time skipping from my classes. I realized I was wearing that goody shoes for years. Maybe, I should go rebel? No, my parents would kill me. Just this once, with a stranger, the stranger who got my first kiss.

**

We reached Myeongdong and entered a small restaurant. The servers greeted him. Looked like he had been here regularly.

“Minhyuk~ah!”

“Donghae hyung!”

The two men bumped their fists and chests. He must be the owner of this shop. I bowed at him.

“Annyeong haseyo. I didn’t expect you’ll bring your girlfriend here Kang Goon.”

“I’m not his girl—“

“She’s Krystal Jung. Babe, this is my good friend Lee Donghae. He owns this place.”

Babe? What the heck happened to this man? I still tried to smile back at his friend. He ushered us on an empty table and excused himself later to entertain some customers.  

“Who give you the right to introduce me as your girlfriend?”

“Hmmm.. this is the best ramyeon in town!”

“Kang Minhyuk!”

“I said you’re my girlfriend for him to stop asking questions. If I didn’t do that, he’ll bombard me with tons of it.”

“That is not my problem anymore.”

“I am your business, right Krystal~ssi?”

I pouted. I shouldn’t go with him. I wanted to bang my head for my stupidity.

“You look cute when you pout.”

I was taken aback from his sudden praise. He was shocked himself. His face flushed in red. I giggled.

“Don’t start with it.”

“You look cute when you blush.”

“Eat Krystal.”

“Awwww… you look cute when you—“

He grabbed my plate and ate my food. “Hey, that’s mine!”

**

We left the resto around 12pm. He brought me to a music store. Wow, this guy was so random.  But I must admit that it was first time going here. My brother used to tell me about this place (he played with a band before and he was the vocalist). My eyes were fixated to some old tapes. Minhyuk motioned me to come over. I saw an old player.

“Here, listen to this.” He put the tape and it started playing a song.

You give me, give me coloured kisses

Coloured kisses for my lips to taste

You lead me, lead me to an oasis

An oasis where I can lay

My head on your shoulder and pray

What else can I do?

'Cause all I want is more and more

Coloured kisses from you

We were looking at each other while listening to the song. I remembered our kiss.  It was sudden yet special. Was it because I kissed a stranger? Probably. But most likely because, there was something familiar with Minhyuk. It felt like I had known him for years already. His lips suddenly twitched, and he began to walk closer to me, making me backed away as a combination of anxiousness and excitement started to swim in the pit of my stomach. My back collided with the racks of tapes and cds and Minhyuk stopped just a few inches away from me that I could feel heat radiating from his body. My breathing became labored as I felt lightheaded from staring into Minhyuk’s eyes. He broke eye contact when he leaned in; his mouth was against the side of my head. I shivered as his breath brushed my ear. I felt his nose grazed my cheek as I unconsciously sigh. My heart was beating like crazy. Minhyuk breathed deeply. I felt my arms moved to their own accord and wrapped themselves slowly around Minhyuk’s shoulder, at the same time; he wrapped his arms around my waist. Just as feathery touch of Minhyuk’s lips landed on mine, when two teenagers passed by and giggled. We bolted away from each other. I was blushing furiously. What was I thinking? They almost saw us kissing! Minhyuk cleared his throat.

“Let’s get out of here.”

**

He drove me home around 7pm. We didn’t talk about what happened at the music store. I didn’t want to too. It scared me. I didn’t want to hear him saying ‘sorry’ for almost kissing me.  I also started receiving calls from my friends but I didn’t answer them. He stopped the bike in front of our gate. I took off the helmet and handed it to him. He ignored me and instead he gazed at our mansion.

“You surely are rich Pres”

“It’s my parents not me.”

“Tsk.”

“I know you’re rich yourself too.”

“My parents not me.”

“You’re copying me Kang Minhyuk.”

“I know.”

“Thank you.”

“For pestering you? You’re welcome.”

“Yeah, you pestered me a lot but I had fun today.”

“I wonder why you even went with me. We are not friends you know.”

“I wanted to be your friend.”

Minhyuk’s mouth hanged open before laughing. “You are so random.”

“Back at you.”

“Tsk. Well, I can accept the friendship Pres. It’s my pleasure.”

“Of course. Who says it isn’t?”

“I like your sharp tongue.”

“I like your stupid small eyes.”

“What?!”

I shoved the helmet towards him as I stepped back. “Drive safely. Annyeong!”

Minhyuk chuckled before putting on the helmet. He waved his hand and sped off.