Element of Earth

The Sun and The Moon
♡ Chapter 11: The Element of Earth ♡
 
Yun Ae had stopped growing weaker, her headaches never bothered her again and she was feeling better than ever. She knew that this wasn't a good sign. This only meant, and confirmed that Doctor- the shadow, was planning to take her and steal all of their powers. Since Yun Ae was already prepared to die from the beginning, she wasn't so concerned about leaving the planet as her human form. What she was concerned about was the timing. If they had perfect timing, Yun Ae would die just before the elements return home as the tree of life, and also right before the shadow can catch Yun Ae. One second off, and everything would crumble. Now, everything boiled down to the last two elements. They needed to find them, fast. 
 
Recently, Yun Ae had realised that Tao wasn't talking to her much. Usually, he would have so many thigs to tell her and he wouldn't stop talking and rambling, but recently,he spoke not even a word
 
She turned to Tao, who was sulking badly, "Tao, are you angry at me?" She asked.
 
"No." Tao said coldly, without even a glance.
 
Yun Ae kept quiet, if he was angry at her, she decided it was better not to talk to him. Since he didn't seem to want to talk to her.
 
But she didn't understand why-
 
Why was he angry with her?
 
Tao whispered softly,"I'm not angry with you. I'm angry at myself for loving you." 
 

 

"Two more elements." Kai sighed.

 
"Come on guys, it's just two more elements." Lay encouraged everyone and smiled.
 
The elements were exhausted; days of searching for these last two elements! Nobody could explain the fatigue and frustration they were going through, they were on the verge of giving up. 
 
"Two more elements that don't want to show up!" Chen growled.
 
"Hey, chill. It's not their fault, they don't even know we're looking for them nor about our powers." Xiumin tried to calm everyone down.
 
This time, they were in a forest. Why were they searching through a forest? 
 
"Hey Xiumin, you are absolutely sure that there was an earthquake in here recently?" Luhan asked.
 
"It's on the newspapers." Xiumin pulled a newspaper article out of his back pocket and passed it to Luhan.
 
"Mysterious earthquake of magnitude 6 occurred in the Gotjawal Forest in Jeju Island." Xiumin read out.
 
"I swear if it's not the element of Earth who caused that, I will flip someone. I mean we came all the way to Jeju island!" Sehun said, while trying to get his foot out of some mud.
 
"It's our only chance." Kris mumbled quietly, a little discouraged by Sehun's comment.
 
"Reports show that there is completely no trace of an earthquake, the ruins of it had disappeared mysteriously within an hour, according to a young couple who had witnessed the scene. No one was injured as not many people were nearby." Xiumin continued to read out.
 
"Why would an element be in a forest." Suho pointed out.
 
"Maybe he lives there." Luhan said.
 
There was a moment of awkward silence.
 
"I'm sorry." Luhan apologised.
 
"Yeah that was a very idiotic thing to say." Tao said bluntly.
 
"Tao!" Yun Ae gasps. Tao usually wasn't like that. Sure, he was direct but he would think of their feelings before saying anything.
 
"Sorry, I'm just tired." Tao muttered.
 
Yun Ae kept quiet, she knew everyone was feeling down, but especially Tao
 
She still had no idea why he was angry with her.
 
She had no idea he was in love with her.
 
"Guys, do you feel something shaking?" Xiumin stopped walking, everyone followed asuit and stopped.
 
Suddenly, the ground broke into two, separating the group. Everyone except Yun Ae, Tao and Chanyeol were on one side. Everyone gasped and stared at the humongous hole in the middle. 
 
"The element is probably near!" Lay smiled in pure happiness.
 
"But Yun Ae, Chanyeol and Tao are stuck on the otherside!" Xiumin pointed out.
 
"Uh- hello? I'm here too?" Kris finally spoke up and pointed to his wings nonchalantly. Xiumin formed the letter 'O' with his mouth and backed away slowly.
 
Kris flew over and grabbed Chanyeol, dropping him to the otherside.
 
Kai was about to scold Kris for not getting Yun Ae first, when a scream was heard.
 
It was coming from Yun Ae, both of them had fallen into a hole, just as the 'earthquake' struck again. It was a peculiar kind of earthquake, it only happened at one spot. 
 
Tao and Yun Ae immediately was send dropping into the large hole it had strangely created. 
 
"Are you guys alright?" Chanyeol shouted over from the other side.
 
Tao and Yun Ae, who were still sprawled upon the ground, grunting in pain, stood up and shouted that they were alright.
 
"W-We'll get Kris to fly over!" Lay shouted, he sounded uncertain.
 
It was silent for awhile, then Tao and Yun Ae heard Kris gasped.
 
"I-I can't fly!" Kris screamed.
 
"I can't freeze anything either!" Xiumin said.
 
One by one, all of the elements realised that their powers were blocked off; they couldn't use them.
 
Except for Yun Ae.
 
"Guys. I think the Doctor is nearby, be careful." Yun Ae warned, looking around cautiously. 
 
"We'll find a way to get you out of there! Just wait there!" Lay shouted.
 
Yun Ae replied,"Alright!".
 
"I hope they'll be okay." Yun Ae sighed.
 
"I think we should be more concern on how to get out of this huge hole." Tao said, sitting down.
 
Yun Ae found some rocks in the hole, she stared at them and suddenly an idea came to her.
 
"Hey Tao, have you ever done rock-climbing?" Yun Ae smirked.
 
"Yes, but wh- no way I'm not going to climb up with those." Tao realised, and denied.
 
"Aw come on, we need to get out of here and find the element of earth!" Yun Ae pleaded.
 
"No." Tao turned the other way, ignoring her presence.
 
"Fine I'll do it." Yun Ae firmly said and starting climbing up the walls while jabbing rocks into the earthly walls.
 
Tao took a peek to see whether she was alright. She was only about half way, when her hand slipped off a wet rock and was dangling from a rock that was about to fall. Yun Ae and Tao had expressions of terror when that happened. Tao immediately dashed to below Yun Ae and stretched out his arms to catch her.
 
"Help!" Yun Ae cried out as she hung on that sole rock.
 
"Don't worry, I'm here!" Tao shouted and told her to let go.
 
"No! What if you don't catch me?" Yun Ae screamed.
 
"I will catch you!" Tao replied.
 
"But-" Yun Ae protested.
 
"Min Yun Ae, can you please just trust me for once!" Tao screamed, it seemed like he wasn't really referring to the situation happening.
 
Yun Ae replied by clenching her teeth and let go of the rock.
 
Almost predicted, Tao caught Yun Ae in his arms. Tao didn't put her down immediately, he stared at her for a moment- a very long moment.
 
Yun Ae, who was still recovering from the fear, stared back, and she finally understood something; he loved her.
 
As Yun Ae's expression changed slowly, Tao placed her back on the ground. Sighing solemnly, Tao went over to the rocks and confidently climbed them, and sure enough he reached the top. He grabbed Yun Ae up and they were back on the ground again. 
 
"Tao, I-" Yun Ae muttered.
 
"Yeah?" Tao replied, not making eye contact with her.
 
"What do you like about me?" Yun Ae asked.
 
"You're kind, giving, sacrificial, fun, generous- beautiful." Tao paused for a moment then smiled and said the last word.
 
"You can't love me, Tao. You're hurting yourself. You know that I'm destined to be with the sun, chanyeol." Yun Ae said, stopping to look at him.
 
"I already am, so it's alright. Why can't we fight destiny?" Tao said.
 
"You can't. Destiny is a powerful thing, it controls everything- even us." Yun Ae said.
 
Tao kept silent and then said,"Then was the destiny that made me like this? Was it destiny who tried to hurt me by making me fall in love with you? And was it destiny that you have to die?!" Tao screamed.
 
Yun Ae went pale white,"Who told you that?"
 
"Lay. He couldn't take it, his conscience was bugging him." Tao replied.
 
"He was lying." Yun Ae started to panic. At first she didn't want to tell the rest as they might be discouraged on the search for the last few elements, but now that she found out Tao loved her that much, she was even more pained
 
"He wasn't. And stop placing all the burden on yourself! I know how is it like to feel like you created for no purpose. To feel like no one understands what you're going through, and yes- I don't understand it, I never will! But you can help me to understand, by telling me. And it will help you too." Tao held her hand. Yun Ae started to cry, it was exactly how she felt.
 
Created to die.
 
No one understood.
 
No one knew; kept it to herself.
 
Because then, nobody would get hurt.
 
Suddenly, the ground shook again, this time the earthquake felt stronger than before; the element must be right at our feet.
 
Tao grabbed my hand and started running. 
 
"Stop!" Yun Ae shouted as she saw something between the trees; or someone.
 
Tao halted and they both inched slowly towards the mysterious figure. 
 
The man; or element, was chopping wood happily while whistling to himself.
 
Their vision slowly shifted to a higher level; his house was built in the forest. It was an amazing sight, the platform winded around the tall emergents and a little hut was positioned at the very top of the trees. 
 
 
Tao and Yun Ae gaped at the sight, the cheerful man stopped chopping wood and looked up at them.
 
"Ah! You guys must be the lost elements?" The man chirped.
 
We nodded our heads, still amazed by his wonderful house.
 
"Well come on in! It's quite a distance as my house is quite high up but you guys have stamina right?" The man smiled and led us up,"Oh, by the way, my name's Kyungsoo! My parents built this house in this peaceful forest as they believed life would be happier for me as a child and adult. And indeed it is! My parents are resting in their rooms now. I'm quite excited to work with you guys, I never had friends who were human or my age!" Kyungsoo said.
 
"Friends who weren't humans? Who were your friends?" Tao asked.
 
"Well, some critters, birds, mammals, i don't really know, animals i guess! But they can't talk of course." Kyungsoo laughed,"You can meet them later, they're in their rooms!" 
 
"Their rooms?" Yun Ae repeated, shocked.
 
"Oh yeah, Mother and Father made really beautiful resting area for forest animals in the house, they can leave or stay whenever they want. Most of them stay though!" He said, smiling.
 
"So the rest are inside?" Yun Ae panted, they were only half way to the top.
 
"Yes, they're all very funny and cool people!" Kyungsoo chuckled.
 
Tao stopped,"If you're tired, I can carry you." 
 
"It's okay." Yun Ae smiled.
 
Tao ignored her answer and carried her.
 
Kyungsoo continued to chatter away cheerfully on the way up.
 
When they finally reached the top, they were greeted by eleven elements who all raced forward, relieved to see Tao and Yun Ae.
 
Tao put Yun Ae down and Chanyeol immediately ran towards her,"Thank goodness you're alright." He hugged her tightly.
 
Yun Ae smiled,"I'm okay."
 
Just as they were going to enter the house, they saw a shadow fly pass them.
 
The shadow.
 
The house was trembling. Kyungsoo's face fell,"No! The house is falling!" His once cheerful expression was gone.