Grandmothers gift

Simple interpretation

The next couple of days at work seemed to fly by. Kat and Sojin did some shopping but Kat had the perfect gift idea for grandmother. She needed just a little help from Sojin. She won't be there for Grandmother birthday party, so He arranged a private dinner party on Thursday night. Kat would fly off the next morning and be gone for 4 days. Sojin didn't even like thinking about it.

"I will wait for you in the lobby. I will be ready to go at 5:00." Sojin said.

"Yes, I won't be late. I am looking forward to this evening." Kat said.

Kat had some details to iron out before she left. She picked up her itinerary and checked in with Lee Seul Chan. He was ready to go. He told Kat it would be a piece of cake. They would fly in, take the car provided to the hotel, then meet the UK rep for dinner. Although Seul Chan was excited about the conference, he agreed it would be pretty boring for Kat. She assured him she didn't mind and would stay professional and stay awake during the conference. Seul Chan laughed a little. I can elbow you if needed.

At 4:58, Kat turned off her light and locked her office door. She was in the elevator and pressing the button for the lobby. Just before the doors shut a hand came in between the doors and forced them open. Kat looked up to see Sojin smiling as he was hoping in the elevator.  

They looked at each other. They both knew they had about 25 seconds before the doors opened to the lobby. It's silly, but they had timed it once. Sojin held Kat in a close embrace and kissed her like he was already missing her. Kat loved his spontaneity. She enjoyed that kiss…three…two…one and they separated as the elevator doors opened. Sojin straightened his tie and Kat looked straight ahead as if nothing happened. Sung Lee happened to look over at the elevator as they were getting off. He shook his head in their direction and then winked at Kat. She was embarrassed, well she thought she should have been embarrassed, but she wasn't really. She smiled at Sung Lee then quickly looked away.

The couple walked to the parking garage. Sojin opened the door for Kat and helped her in. She would never grow tired of this little courtesy. He was always able to make her feel special. Their little fight seemed like it happened ages ago. His late night phone call to make up was perfect. She never wanted to disagree again, but she knew they would. As long as they were able to make up before going to sleep, nothing would ever come between them. Now, if they can make it over the grandmother hurdle they would be home free.

Sojin asked Kat, "are you nervous about tonight? Because you shouldn't be. Everything will be fine. She will love the gift. Your idea was so perfect."

"I hope so," Kat said.

Sojin had found a very old picture months ago, and he asked his grandmother about it. She said it was the last remaining picture (that she knew about) of her parents. She kept it safe in a box with a few other old photos. He happened to mention the pictures to Kat and that is how she came up with the idea.

She knew a person who took old pictures and converted them digitally to be printed out in any form. He specialized in older photos that needed repair, even very extensive repair. He created a beautiful picture that he manipulated a bit to look like a painting then he printed it out on canvas. She added the perfect frame and when Sojin saw it, he nearly cried. He is certain grandmother would be very pleased.

They arrived at his house and went inside. They did pause slightly outside the front door, Sojin gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and a reassuring look.

Kat smiled and said, "lets do this. I am ready for whatever waits for me behind that door."

Once inside the couple greeted everyone well. The house was beautiful as always. Yoon Ha and Jong Hyun had not yet arrived. Sojin and Kat took a seat in the living room. Grandmother was there already. She smiled at Sojin and Kat (although it seemed a little forced.)

Grandmother said, "It seems you two are still together. That's nice. I am glad you were able to make some time for your grandmother."

Sojin said, "Grandmother, you promised to be nice tonight, and be happy that Kat was able to come and help celebrate your birthday."

"Yes, it is nice she could make some time for an old woman, who knows I may no be here when she comes back." Grandmother said.

Sojin said, "well lets hope it goes well tonight, if this is your only chance to celebrate, it should be nice. Not that I want you to miss your big birthday celebration on Sunday."

Kat gently hit Sojins arm and said, "that's not nice or funny."

Grandmother seemed surprised by Kats reaction and she looked at Sojin and saw that he actually seemed a bit remorseful for the comment. This made Grandmother pause for a moment. Maybe she was being too harsh on the new couple. She thought it might be good to dial it back a bit, she could do that for one evening.

Once Yoon Ha and Jong Hyun had arrived and the family had all assembled, they ate a wonderful dinner together and even enjoyed a beautiful fruit tort for dessert. Sojin's mother wanted to make it a special evening, knowing that Kat would be missing Grandmother's party.

Dessert was served in the living room with coffee. Yoon Ha and Kat insisted on helping with the dinner dishes and the coffee and dessert. Kat loved Sojin's sister more and more. They were always able to find something to talk about. They were two woman good with conversations. They even made plans to go shopping soon after Kat returns from the UK.

The evening seemed to be going well. The dessert had been consumed and the coffee was nearly gone. This time Sojin and Jong Hyun cleared the dishes and helped clean up. The ladies made small talk back in the living room.

Jong Hyun asked, "how are things with you and Kat? Still on track?"

"I think so, I am not sure what you mean by on track, but we are getting along well. She has this trip coming up, she leaves tomorrow and I think I am going to miss her. Not only have we seen each other everyday since we started dating, but I have basically seen her everyday for the past couple of years. I have concerned myself with her for so long, it will be really difficult letting her go at the airport tomorrow." Sojin said.

"I know what you mean, It's nice to hear this from you. I wondered if you would be single forever, but it would seem you have been in love for a while. You have all the signs. Have you told her yet…that you love her?" Jong Hyun asked.

"It has not really come up yet. There have been times, but I didn't want to scare her away. I didn't want to seem desperate either. It hasn't been the right time. believe me, I have wanted to say it. I may be waiting for her to catch up to my feelings. Maybe she will say it first." Sojin said with the slightest sound of worry in his voice.

Just then Grandmother called out from the living room, "we are all growing older by the minute, if you two are done in the kitchen please come join us."

Sojin and Jong Hyun took the hint and rushed back in to join the others. Kat looked up at Sojin with eyes that said, I am okay, but I missed you. Before he took his place next to Kat, he went to his room and got Grandmothers present. All eyes were on him as he walked back in and sat down.

"Grandmother, Kat and I would like to give you your birthday present tonight, if you will please accept it." Sojin asked.

"I can wait until Sunday to open your present Sojin, there's no rush." Grandmother said.

"Well Grandmother, You know Kat won't be able to be here on Sunday and this gift was really her idea. I wanted her to see you open it." Sojin explained.

"Well, it doesn't matter who it's from really. It's nice to be thought of when you get to be my age." Grandmother said with just a dash of sarcasm.

Sojin's Mother said, "Go ahead and open it. Isn't it beautifully wrapped? Kat, you did a wonderful job."

Kat was so pleased with that compliment she wanted to jump up and give Sojin's mother a great big hug, but she remained calm. She smiled.

"Thank you, I love wrapping packages, its a very pleasurable task." Kat said.   

Sojin looked at her and gave her a reassuring pat on the hand. Kat looked nervous, but was very eager. She was really hoping that she liked it. It may be too modern and not her taste. For a split second Kat felt like running from the room. Sojin must have sensed that as he gave her another reassuring pat on the hand.

Grandmother finally got to the task of opening the box. She made no mention of the wrapping, but seemed eager to get to what was inside. She carefully lifted the lid. The box was a bit large and hard to manage, but once open she carefully removed the tissue that revealed a portrait in a beautiful, delicate frame. She lifted the picture from the box and looked at it. She remained quiet and simply looked at every inch of the picture.

Sojin's mother was the first to speak, "what is it? Let us all take a look."

Grandmother never said a word. She placed the picture back in the box and stood up and walked to her room. Kat wasn't sure but she thought Grandmother was crying. Mother got up and looked at Kat then Sojin then the picture. She recognized it as she really gave it a good look.

"This is wonderful, it's absolutely wonderful. Your Grandmother must have been overwhelmed seeing that picture again, looking so fine, so beautiful." Mother said.

Mother went in to check on Grandmother. Yoon Ha picked up the picture from the box and admired it. She looked at Kat and told her this was such a wonderful a gift. So many pictures from this era are lost or destroyed. The fact that Grandmother even had it was amazing. We are all sure that she was just overwhelmed by seeing it. That is a feeling Grandmother usually never entertained.

"Don't take it personal Kat. I know she loved it. She had to." Yoon Ha said.

Sojin stood and was going to see to grandmother himself. Just then his mother came back into the living room.

She said, "Grandmother is fine, she is just tired. She wanted to say thank you for her gift. It was kind of you both. She wants to rest for a while."

"I think we should go mother. Thank you for a wonderful meal," Sojin said.

"Yes, thank you. Everything was wonderful of course. I will never be able to eat street food again if we keep dining here." Kat said.

Mother walked over and hugged Kat, she whispered in her ear, "it will all be okay. Have a good trip and hurry back. We will all miss you."

Kat smiled and said, "I will. I will miss you all. I hope the birthday celebration goes well. Don't let Sojin worry about me too much."

With that Sojin and Kat left. He was once again driving her home. He had actually come to enjoy this drive and with Kat in the car the time passed very quickly. Too quickly sometimes. The were quiet for the first 5 minutes. Sojin was trying to gauge her mood. Certainly she must be upset, he thought. He was always trying to make her feel better when they left his house. Maybe he should stop putting her through the ordeal of visiting and that drama that seemed to always occur and the hand of his grandmother.

Without a word, Kat took out her phone and sent a text to her sister Kelly.

(Kat)** Sojin is taking me home right now, would you like to Skype when we get there? I think it is time for you to meet each other.
(Kelly)**sure sounds great. did she like it?
(Kat)**I don't know, she left the room without a word.
(Kelly)** oh my, that could be good or bad. sorry sis.
(Kat)**It's okay, I almost expected something like this. I'm okay.
(Kelly)** can't wait to see your face, I will gather everyone by the computer and wait for your call.
(Kat)** ok, 20 minutes or so. HUGS

"Is everything alright?" Sojin asked.

"Yes, do you think you can stay a bit and Skype with Kelly and her family. I think you guys need to meet." Kat said.

"I would love it," Sojin replied.

The couple arrived at her apartment and went inside. Sojin saw his slippers and smiled. They went in and Kat headed right for the bathroom. Sojin didn't really know what to do. He stood there for a few minutes then decided to sit on the couch. Then he got up and headed toward the bathroom. He tapped gently on the door and started to say something when the door opened and Kat came out.

"Sweetie I can't tell how you are. Are you really alright? You seem a little…" Sojin tried to say but stopped mid-sentence when Kat came back from the kitchen and handed Sojin a beer.

Kat had an open bottle of beer already and was drinking. She walked into the living room and Sojin followed her. Kat sat her beer on the table, she took Sojin's beer from him and sat it down next to hers. Then Kat looked at Sojin. She moved closer to him and reach up and kissed him. She put her arms around him and really kissed him. Sojin was not sure where this was coming from but he was not against it, so he kissed her back.

Sojin finally broke free, although he found it a difficult task and at the same time wondering why he would ever want to stop kissing this woman. She was soft and sweet and smelled great.

"Kit Kat, my dear please tell me how your feeling? I am getting mixed signals here. I thought we were going to Skype Kelly?" He said.

"Oh yes, you're right, Skype Kelly…that's right. Lets get to it." She said as she grabbed Sojins hand and her beer and headed towards her bedroom where she kept her computer.

Sojin was not sure what to do, but he did grab his beer as she pulled him towards the bedroom. He had no objections to anything since they left his house. He could keep this up all night. It did feel like a game of pinball, he was the ball getting bumped around the surface jolting from one place to another. Just hoping to land somewhere, but not really minding how he got there.

Kat had a little bench in front of her desk where her computer rested comfortably. Sojin and Kat sat down, snuggling up close to each other. She turned her computer on and waited a few seconds for it to start up.

Sojin leaned over and whispered, "are you sure you want to do this now? I can't help but feel you are a little upset about the dinner, the present, my Grandmother."

"The dinner was lovely, did you see your mom…with me? She was so nice, I think she has really come over to our side. I couldn't be happier. I think it went well. I was hoping for some kind of feedback from your grandmother, but that's ok. Maybe she was just speechless. That could be positive, so I choose to see it that way." Kat replied.

Kat started the Skype program, Sojin squirmed around when their image came up on the screen. He could hear the phone ringing and then a little child appeared in the other box on the screen.

******skype conversation*****

(Elvis) hi auntie Kitty Kat……….how are you? who is that man?
(Kat) Hello Elvis, This is Sojin, my friend.
(Elvis) Slow-jin, slow-jin, sloooowwwww……jin. I like it. that is fun to say.
(Sojin) hello Elvis!
(Kat) Elvis, where is your mom?
(Elvis) she will be here. she had to change
(Kat) where is your dad?
(Elvis) Daddddyyyyyy…auntie Kitty is on the pewter!
(Sojin) my he's interesting and I like his name.
(Kat) he's one of a kind, really.
(Jake) Hi there Kat. How are you. Long time now see. You look great.
(Kat) Thank you, I want to introduce you to my friend Sojin.
(Jake) Oh, Elvis said it was Kat and Slow….jin. I will help him with that later. He's only 4, not too bad.
(Sojin) nice to meet you Jake.
(Jake) Nice to finally meet you my man. Nothing but good words about you, that's for sure. Kelly thinks you might be IT. Oh , I wasn't supposed to say that. Why does she tell me things I am not supposed to repeat? those are usually the only things I remember. oh….Emmy wants to say hello.
(Emmy) Hi
(Kat) Hi there Emmy-lou darling-how are you?
(Emmy) Hi
(Sojin) Hello. you are a very pretty little girl.
(Emmy) hi.
(Jake) She's 2 and a half. Her vocabulary is pretty good, but she is a little camera shy.
(Kat) that's okay. It's so nice to see everyone.
***from the background they could hear Kelly yelling….I'm coming! I'm coming! don't hang up. Elvis, pick up your toys!
(Kelly) Hi you guys…..oh this is so good. I am so happy to see you KIT KAT! and Sojin, well……nice to finally see you. You are handsome. I like him, he looks nice Kat…good job.
(Kat) Kelly, try and control yourself. He's right here. and thank you….Sojin I would like you to meet my sister Kelly
and Jake and Elvis and Emmy…this is Sojin. My very good friend…my boyfriend (as she buried her head in his shoulder)
(Everyone) It's nice to meet you!! Cool!! SLOW…JIN, SLOW..JIN…..hi.
(Sojin) I am overwhelmed. It is so great to meet all of you! Kat talks of you often.
(Kat) I do, I do….you're my family and even though I am so far away. I love you so much. I do miss you, even if I am super confident and independent, I do miss you all very much. Sojin has helped fill that void in my life. I didn't know it was there, but since meeting him…it's been really great (and Kat starts to cry)
(Sojin) Kat…are you alright? Please, don't cry. Kelly….I am not sure?….
(Kelly) Sojin, I am too far way to really explain women to you. Kat, honey, we will say good bye. LOVE YOU!
(Kat) you don't have to say good bye, I am okay….just happy tears. Really…..okay, we can say good night!
(Elvis) Good night Auntie Kitty Kat. Love you. Don't cry……it will be okay.
(Jake) Dude, good luck….women huh??? I'm still learning. Nice meeting you. Take care of our KAT!
(Sojin) I will do my best to always make her happy.
(Kat) Goodnight family. HUGS!!!!

That was it. They all said good bye and ended the Skype program. Kat was still crying and Sojin still didn't know why. He was hoping they were just happy tears.

"Kat are you ok?" Sojin asked.

"Yes, I am okay. I am sorry. It's crazy hormonal mood swings and nothing serious. I was so happy to talk to them and then you were here and so sweet and then I thought about your Grandmother and how sad I was that she didn't like the gift and then I thought about leaving in the morning and I just could hold it in." She said without taking a breath.

"Please don't worry about Grandmother. I am sure it will all be explained soon. I loved meeting your sister and her family. They are so wonderful and they really love you. But I will say when I think of driving you to the airport, I get a little sad myself. It's normal really." Sojin said pretending to be strong.

"Will you stay with me tonight? Just hold me until I fall asleep, nothing more. I'm sorry to keep asking you to stay like this…it's absolutely unfair. Please say no if you can't or don't want to." She said.

"Look, the more you talk, the less holding I get to do. Plus it's an upgrade from the couch, right? At least I feel I am on the right track." Sojin said with a smile and a wink. "Maybe I could wear that pink outfit again?" he added.

"Alright, I just need to rest, then I will be good as new." She said.

Kat laid down on her bed and Sojin helped her off with her slippers and put them on the floor. He made sure her alarm was set to give them plenty of time. He took the beer bottles to the kitchen and turned off the lights. He grabbed a blanket off the chair and put it over Kat. He could tell she was almost asleep.

"Stop fussing and come hold me. I mean it." Kat said.

"Yes dear, you are 2 seconds away from being held by these strong arms." Sojin said as he flexed his right arm.

Kat didn't open her eyes, she didn't need to. She smiled and started counting...one thousand one, one thousand two….and Sojin hoped on top of the bed next to her and made an arm pillow with one arm and wrapped the other around her and gave a good squeeze. Thank you she said as they settled into each other.

"I promise this is the last time I ask you to stay like this." She said in a quiet voice.

"After tonight, I will never have this strength again," he replied.