Vomiting visitors from Vienna

Simple interpretation

It was a nice bus ride home for Shorty. She liked the dinner and the conversation with the guard. She was feeling more at ease with the change in their relationship. She had not dated seriously since moving to South Korea. This was a very new thing for her. She realizes that the rules may be different, but men are men and women are women no matter the geography, right, she thought.

So he's a bit younger. Does that really matter? She knows lots of people here, she has several female friends that are even married to men who are younger. Back home she would probably get cheers from her friends. She laughed as she pictured them cheering and giving high-fives. It's not wrong or weird. These thoughts would linger as she tried to go to sleep. What does he think? Was he shocked? What should I wear tomorrow? Maybe I should call in sick. No, that would be silly. Why are you nervous all of a sudden. Nothing has changed. Go to sleep!

It was just a couple hours since her head hit the pillow that the phone rang. Shorty was in a deep sleep, so it took a minute to realize what the noise was. She finally reached for the phone and said, "hello."

The voice on the other end was frantic and rushed. She asked them to slow down, she had trouble understanding. When she finally did, she shot up in bed and said, "I will be there as quick as I can."

Shorty was up and dressed and out the door in 12 minutes. She had called a cab and they were just pulling up as she shut her front door. She got in the cab and gave directions, the cab took off. Shorty was starting to process the quick conversation she had with the emergency room nurse at the hospital. Shorty made some notes. The cab ride would give her plenty of time to gather her thoughts.

First of all, how many kids were sick. She would start with that. Then where had they been the previous day and were they all together at every place?

The ER nurse relayed that they had a group of visitors from Austria. There were 11 confirmed sick, all presenting with the same symptoms. It really sounded like food poisoning, I am sure the language barrier was making the adults in the group very anxious. Traveling to a foreign country was a great chance to experience another culture and meet new people. Getting sick in a foreign country and spending time in the hospital was something different altogether.

The cab dropped her off at the entrance to the emergency room. She quickly made her way inside. She found the Doctor in charge of the kids from Vienna and they spoke quickly. The adults traveling with the children were waiting to find out what was going on. Shorty did her best to interpret for the doctor and the chaperones. He didn't feel it was life threatening but he did think they had food poisoning, and not just your "basic" reaction to the local cuisine.

Shorty then spent some time with the travelers. She had some questions for the people in the group that were not sick. They told her when they arrived and what they had been doing in South Korea. The Austrians were from an Liberal Arts school. The children at that school were all gifted in some manner of music or visual arts. This particular group was here to perform at a multi cultural music event. Luckily the event was 2 days ago and they were just spending some free time taking in some sights. The big event was behind them, at least they did not miss it.

"Where did you eat earlier today? As I see by my watch I should ask where did you eat yesterday?" Shorty asked the oldest looking gentleman.

"We got a late start, so many kids you know. It's hard to get everyone together at the same time. Some of us ate breakfast at the hotel, but some did not." said Lukas the oldest adult in charge of the trip.

A woman named Julia spoke up to add, "we also did a lot of walking today and the kids ate all over, lots of street vendors. It would be impossible to track down who ate what and where."

Shorty said, "that's ok, I will do my best to try and find some correlation. With this many people sick at one time, the hospital will want to contact the health department so they can pay a visit to the eating establishment. Now, what about dinner?"

Julia spoke again, "we did all eat dinner at the same place. Except for Jakob and Michael, but they are not sick."

"Yes, we all ate at the same place, but it was family style and we all sat and shared the same things, wouldn't we all be sick? Said Lukas.

"It could be that some of you ate something that the others did not have. Lets make a list and go down the menu, then decide who ate what," said Shorty.

The list was made and there was some arguing. It was to be expected, they were tired and worried. Shorty was feeling their frustration. Shorty tried to calm them as best she could. She made everyone take a seat in a private lounge. The kids and adults that were not sick helped shorty compile her list of foods. She knew at some point she would need to talk to the sick people and she was not looking forward to that part.

It was difficult, but after talking to the sick kids she was able to narrow it down to something that the visitors in the lounge did not mention. The kids were sick in various stages of the temporary illness. It was hard because a lot of them didn't really know what they were eating. Shorty quickly eliminated all the things they could recognize that were on the list. Some of the kids who were feeling better started joking around, places bets on who would vomit last, who was the best shade of green, typical teenage stuff. They did finally all agree on one thing. There was something that none had eaten before, nobody knew what it was called but they did all describe it in a similar way.

Shorty made her way back to the lounge to inform the other visitors. She had already given a report to the doctor who then relayed everything to the department supervisor. He would make the calls to the health department so the restaurant could be informed of the issue.  

Shorty was met with twenty or so curious eyes as she explained about the "cuttlefish." It was part of the meal, but not everyone ate it. After looking at the chart she had compiled, everyone ate similar things, everyone had kimchi, everyone had rice and so on. Only the people who ate the cuttlefish were sick. Some of the kids didn't know they had eaten cuttlefish until they described it. Most of them agreed they did not really care for it and Shorty was sure it would be a while before they tried anything new again.

Lukas thanked her so much for being there. They assumed it had to be something simple, but still being in charge of other people's children can be a huge burden. Even a horrible case of food poisoning was alarming. Parents of the sick children were called. They would all be staying in the lounge until the others were released. It was going to be a long morning. Shorty glanced at her watch to see that it was almost 4:00am.

Shorty called the Austrian's hotel and informed them about the incident. The hotel manager was concerned when none of them checked in. He had actually made calls earlier in the evening to employees who may have known about the Austrian's plans for the day. He only knew they would be sightseeing. But often people travel by bus to other cities and lose track of time. It has happened before, not usually with such a large group. The manager was very pleased they were alright, well most of them anyway.

Julia asked if they could get some pillows and blankets, Shorty left immediately to find the needed items herself. She returned with pillows, blankets and some bottled water. The kids one by one were drifting off, able to sleep anywhere is a gift most kids have. Now that the worst was behind them, the adults looked willing to get some sleep as well. Shorty made sure they were all cozy and she left the lounge shutting the door behind her. Lukas gave her a hug before she left. He squeezed her so tight she almost couldn't breath. He welcomed her to stay with his family should she ever be in Austria.

She said, "if I survive this hug, I may take you up on your offer."

Lukas let go of her and with a courteous bow she left the room. He smiled back.

Shorty was beginning to feel tired herself. Soon it would be time for her to come to work so she decided to just stay. She checked on the sick kids one more time. They were all resting. The nurse let her know that they were all nearing the end of the sickness. It has to just run it's course. They had been given fluids and something for the nausea, but that was about it.  Resigned to the fact that she could do no more for now, she headed to her office.

Shorty liked to be prepared for any situation. She had clothes and shoes to change if needed. She also had a pillow and blanket in her office. She made herself comfy in a very soft chair and put her feet up on the ottoman. Setting her alarm on her phone she thought about texting the guard. She knew he would be here soon and it seemed nice to let him know she was already here.

Should I? She thought. No. Maybe I should, what's the harm? She continued arguing with herself inside her head. She then realized it was the fatigue causing her to behave this way. In the end, she sent a quick text anyway.

***Guard Lee, I am already at work, vomiting visitors from Vienna. It's been fun. C U soon. Shorty.***

She was satisfied with that and hit send. She quickly drifted off to sleep.

Before her alarm went off, it signaled her that she had a text message. She reached for the phone, just positive that it had to be the guard. She looked at the time and saw that it was 5:45am.  She checked the NEW MSG. It was from him. She smiled.

(first message)  ***Who is this?***  

Shorty smiled, but worried he might not know it was her. Then she saw the second message.

(second message) ***Sorry, C U soon, bringing coffee***

Shorty smiled again. He already knows me. Sweet and he's bringing coffee. Nice morning combo she thought to herself. Shorty went to the ladies room and did some quick cleaning up and changing into something fresher. The Jeans and sweater she wore in to work much earlier this morning were not the usual dress for her. She was ready and back in her office by 6:05am.

The first call was to the hotel where the Austrian's were staying. She arranged a bus to be on standby to come and retrieve the visitors when they were all ready to go. Instead of calling the ER, she decided to just go down. Shorty made one stop on her way for coffee and pastries, all she could carry. She quietly opened the door to the lounge where she left the visitors. The adults were all awake, as well as a couple of the kids. They all seemed busy, each with their own hand held devise. Shorty spoke with Lukas first. She explained about the bus and he looked relieved. He was wondering how he would get everyone back together without a team of taxi's.

"I will go check on the kids," Shorty said.

Shorty found the doctor and he had cleared them all to check out, if they had no more symptoms. She then checked in with the nurse and the kids all seemed to be ready to go except one. A tiny girl, who may have been the sickest, admitted she had not felt well for a couple of days. She didn't have a temperature but the doctor noted she may have been dehydrated before the introduction to the cuttlefish. She was still getting IV fluids, but should be ready to go within the hour.

Back in the lounge, she gave the news to the adults in charge. The kids wanted to get some group pictures before they left. They all posed in the lounge. Shorty took several pictures with a number of phones before she said she could use one phone to snap some pictures, then everyone could share. They accepted her terms and asked if the "sick ones" could be in some, then they all headed for the area where the other kids had been kept. The nurse in charge said to keep quiet and be quick. This was a place for sick people not photo sessions. Shorty promised to be quick.

After just about every pose they could think of doing in a hospital, the kids were satisfied with the pictures and proceeded to the lobby to wait for the bus. Shorty followed close behind. Lukas thanked her again with another painful hug. Once they were all safe and accounted for in the lobby, she said she would call for the bus. She left the Austrians and hurried over the the guards desk.

Shorty was surprised to find the night guard still on duty. She asked if guard Lee had made it in yet.

The night guard replied, "he radioed in that he was checking in at the ER first."

So the guard was here, he was just in the ER, probably looking for me, shorty thought. Maybe I should go back, but before she could finish her thought, she spied the guard entering the lobby from the familiar hallway that leads to the ER. He saw Shorty and walked over to her. He said good morning. He quickly checked in with the night guard for his report. Except for the Austrians, it was very quiet. He then focused his attention on Shorty.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I am ok. I actually got a few hours of sleep before being called in as well as a little nap in her office before he sent his text." She replied.  

The guard seemed to be unhappy with her response. He was concerned for her health and her lack of sleep. Shorty explained, she was used to interrupted sleep. She was often called in for cases like this. He acknowledged that he was not aware of the scope of her job. She told him not to worry.

Shorty made sure every last visitor made it on the Hotel bus. They leaned out the windows and waved goodbye. She was happy it ended well. Today is their last day here, they fly back home early tomorrow morning.

Shorty came through the double doors and headed towards the elevator that would take her to her office. She smiled at the guard on her way by. He smiled back. This was going to take some getting used to. She had rather enjoyed the game of trying to make him smile. Now he smiles so freely. As the doors shut on the elevator, she admitted she liked the "smiling guard" even more than "scowling guard."

Shorty kept busy with some administration stuff. Before she knew it lunch time had arrived. She began to thinking about getting out of the office for a while and heading to her favorite park. She wondered now, should I go alone or invite the guard? As she started to pick up her phone she got a text message.

(guard) ***hungry, must eat, want to join me?***

Shorty smiled as she realized this was actually something. It may have looked casual from the beginning, but it was picking up speed quickly. She text back.

(shorty) ***hungry 2, how about the park and some street food?***

(guard) ***C U in a couple minutes?****

(Shorty) ***ok***

They both left the hospital together and started walking to the park. He insisted on buying her lunch. She agreed, if she could buy his tomorrow, he said okay as he smiled and stared ahead. After getting the food they walked to a bench in the shade and sat down. They talked about the Austrians a bit. Then the conversation turned toward them. They discussed things about their life, siblings, etc… Shorty spoke of her one younger sister and the guard shared similar stories. He is the older brother to one sister.

They discussed previous relationships and how they ended. Shorty felt this was the easiest conversation she had had with anyone since moving to South Korea.

Shorty had never married, no children, not even a pet to speak of. She just spent time taking care of herself and working. That's when she decided to take the volunteer job that took her to the other side of the world. She was ready for an adventure.

The guard never married and was happy enough taking care of his parents and sister. They all still live together in the house he grew up in. All except his father who passed away about 5 years ago. He always thought some day he would find someone to marry and they would all live happily together.

Something in Shorty's brain went HALT! What did he just say? She was talking to herself and trying to process the fact that he lives at home, never moved out and is hoping to marry someone and still live there. What? Alright, now trying to calm herself she said, families are different here. Many generations live together and like it. It's almost unheard of for the elders in the family to live apart from the children.

Shorty was jolted back to reality when she heard the guard speaking to her.

"I had a nice time on our date last night," said the guard.

Shorty agreed, "I had fun as well. I would have liked talking more, but that will come eventually."

"Do you mind that I am a little younger than you," the guard asked.

"No, it's only a couple years. I am fine with it. Frankly I was concerned that you may have thought I was younger than i really am, so finding out my actual age may have been a bit of a shock for you." Shorty said.

"I did think you were younger than me, I was surprised, but I like it. I like you so whatever your age is the right age," the guard stated.

Shorty stared at him. She was curious if he really knew what he had just said. He said it so easily as if maybe he had been thinking about it for a while.

Shorty stood up and announced, "we should be getting back."

The guard looked at his watch and replied, "you're right, we should go."

The two tossed out their trash and began slowly walking back to the hospital.

"Do you like being called Shorty or would you prefer something else?" Said the guard.

She answered, "no, it's fine I like having a nickname, it's nice."

He was having trouble getting to his point. He would like to know her name and if she would prefer he used it when they were together. Korean's have such a hard time not blurting out the thing they want to say whenever they want to say it. He was being careful with her. He thinks he may have hurt her feeling last night when asking her age so bluntly.

Shorty then said, "you can call me Kathy or Kat. They used to call me Kat at home and in school. Some kids I grew up with, still called her "Kit Kat" which she always thought was a cute nickname.

"I like that," said the the guard.

He was happy to have something special to call her. Of course he would still keep it professional in front of others at work. He was quite pleased with his detective skills this afternoon. He even got a smug smile on his face as they walked along.

Shorty spoke up and said, "you know, you can ask me anything. I don't mind talking with you about myself. What can I call you?"

He paused for a moment as if he was really thinking about this. Shorty stopped walking and looked back at him.

"Guard Lee is fine." He stated.

He then started moving forward again without missing a beat. Shorty actually kept standing there with open.

"What?" She finally said, as she hurried her pace to catch up with him.

"You're kidding again, right?" she asked.

The guard smiled but never looked back at her. He reached the double doors to the hospital entrance first. He opened the door and stepped back to let Kat in first. She paused just as she started through the door, and gave him a serious look.

"Lee So jin, you can call me So jin," he said.

Kat replied, "okay," and continued through the door.

Kat said good bye to So jin and headed to her office. He waited a bit before he replied. He looked around the lobby to make sure they were somewhat alone. She reached the elevator and pushed the up button.

"Goodbye Kit Kat, until I see you later," he said.

She blushed a little and turned away, remembering the school girl that once liked to hear boys call her Kit Kat. This thing happening now between them was new, Kat liked it. She already felt very comfortable with him.

Back in her office Kat had spent some time answering e-mails. She got one in particular from Sulli's manager, thanking her again for agreeing to the English lessons that start this Saturday. She remembered…oh yea. I'm teaching English class for the next month.

A knock on the door took her eyes away from the computer screen. In walked a young female volunteer, with a small gift bag. She said hello and sat the bag on Kat's desk, then left the room. Now Kat was very curious. What is this and who sent it, she was thinking. She opened the bag and pulled out a small furry kitten with a note around it's neck that read…

**WOULD YOU LIKE TO MEET MY FAMILY?**