Kat has a good cry

Simple interpretation

The next couple of weeks went by fast. Sojin and Kat had many lunch dates. Some in the hospital, as people pointed and whispered. They weren't the most exciting thing happening around the hospital but they were getting their fair share of attention.

The couple shared many dinner dates, and heavy conversations about life, childhood, losing loved ones. They also covered previous relationships. It's always interesting when you can come out the other side a survivor and at least having learned a lesson about love and sometimes hate.

Sojin and Kat decided to take things slow and found the pace enjoyable. They had waited for years to find the right person, they were in no rush.

On one particular day Kat was having the worst day imaginable at work. It was the first time she her emotions got the better of her in a sad situation and she felt terrible. She tried to be strong and accept this gentleman's tirade because he was just upset and needed to blame someone. Today was just not her day.

There had been a terrible auto accident. Kat did her best to interpret for the surgeon and the nurses. This accident made more tragic as it resulted in the death of a visiting Italian dignitary. He had been vacationing in Asia with his family; wife, a daughter and a son. Their adult kids were doing some sight seeing in the city and the husband and wife were on a car ride in the country. The wife sustained only minor injuries, but husband was fatally injured.

The hospital of course put no blame on Kat. She could not have done more in this situation. She just had to try and be helpful and translate and adjust to being in the middle of what turned into a heated argument. Finally a man from the Italian Embassy showed up and did his best to work with the family. He spoke Korean so told Kat she didn't have to stay, he would take it from there. Since all she wanted to do was leave, she agreed and headed back upstairs.

Once in her office, Kat sat quietly, starring out the window. She didn't even know if she could muster up the strength to walk to the train station. She took out her phone and sent a text to Sojin.

(kat)** I am sorry to be this way, but I really need you. Can you drive me home tonight?

She waited, but no response. Suddenly there was a knock at her open door. Kat turned around to see Sojin standing there. She began to cry. She was strong until she saw the face of the man that warms her heart and she couldn't hold it back any longer.

He said, "do you want to leave now?"

She replied, "no I can wait until you get off."

"I'm off now, let's go," he said.

"Sojin, it's okay, I can wait until five," she said.

"That's nice, but I will change and meet in the lobby in five minutes, okay?" He said.

Sojin headed back down to his station. He told Sung Lee he was leaving early and was taking Kat home. Sojin went to change. Kat showed up as instructed, and they left. In the parking lot Sojin hugged her. He wanted her to know he was there for her, this woman who always seemed to stand so strong on her own. He had never seen her this way and he wanted desperately to know what was wrong!

Kat hugged him back. She didn't want to let go. Finally he opened the door and guided her inside. He ran to the other side and got in. Kat broke down and let more tears flow.

Sojin said, "what happened?"

Kat said, "It's just work. I am sure you heard about the Italians that were in that accident. I was trying to interpret for them. The son's English was bad with a thick accent and add in the frustration level and the emotions from the accident…well, it was all just a very bad mix. His father died in the accident. He was some big political person. Anyway, the son became very upset and belligerent."

"Why wasn't I called? I should have been there." Sojin said.

"It's okay, Sung Lee was there, he kept the son quiet, mostly. The son realized his behavior was out of line. His mother and sister were crying. He just kept blaming me and the hospital and the surgeons. It was very emotional and I just couldn't take any more." Kat said.

Sojin was steadily becoming more and more angry. He could hardly stand seeing her so hurt. He had never felt this way before. He wanted to turn around and go a few rounds with this guy himself. How dare someone hurt his woman!

Kat was able to stop crying and she slowly began to calm down. This in turn helped Sojin calm down. They arrived at Kat's apartment and they went inside. She dropped everything as she went through the door. Sojin was right behind her. As they changed out of their shoes Sojin grabbed her hand and turned her around into his arms. He held her for a few minutes. Kat was amazed how much that really helped.

"Thank you," she said.

"Anytime," he replied.

Sojin looked down and noticed a pair of slipper he hadn't seen before. She had slippers for guests but these were different.

She said, "oh, I got those just for you."

He hugged her again, and she smiled. Sojin came in wearing his own slippers, this made him feel so happy. He had always felt welcome here, but now it seemed like he was welcome to share this space with her. They sat on the couch and Sojin just held her close. Kat was all cried out. It was not like her to be so upset and carry on like this. Now she felt silly.

"Thanks for bringing me home," she said.

"You're welcome. I would do anything you ask," he replied.

"I know," she said.

"Would you be able to stay here tonight?" Kat said as she looked at him with sad eyes.

"Yes Kit-Kat, I will stay. Whatever you want," Sojin said quietly.

Kat felt so peaceful and happy and they were sitting so quietly…she fell asleep on his shoulder. She slept for about 30 minutes, when she just suddenly woke up. Kat looked at Sojin and apologized for making him so uncomfortable. Just then she saw his shoulder, she had actually drooled on it and created a little wet spot. She was so embarrassed and tried to quickly get up to get a towel or something. Sojin pulled her back down in a slightly playful manner.

"I drooled on your shoulder, please let me get something." Kat said very embarrassed.

"At the very least, you must be hungry, let me make you dinner," Kat said.

"Let's make it together, okay? First, I need to do something." Sojin said as he was dialing his phone.

(Sojin) Hello mother, I wanted to let you know I wouldn't be home tonight for dinner, please don't wait. Actually I won't be home until sometime tomorrow after work….well I don't think that matters….well you shouldn't worry…I am a grown man and Kat had a very rough day and I don't want to leave her…I see your point, but I will be here tonight. Yes, she is ok, thank you for asking. I will tell her.

Kat looked at him, Her eyes were wide and a little scary.

"What did you just do?" she said

"Well I didn't want to just not show up." He said.

"I don't mean that. I mean you told your mother your staying at your girlfriends tonight." Kat said.

"I already feel like I could never really please your mother and especially your grandmother. Now I look like I can't even let you live your life without compromising your morals." Kat said.

"She can get used to it, she will understand and I am not sacrificing anything," Sojin replied.

Sojin simply stated, "We can go to work together, then maybe have dinner at my house. It would be another chance for you to get to know everyone."

"That sounds okay," Kat replied.

The pair worked well together in the kitchen. They made soup and side dishes. In her years here, Kat had become a pretty good cook. Sojin also had some tricks up his sleeve.

They each had a beer with dinner. They ate and talked more about work. A couple of references to the weekend came up. Sojin admitted growing fond of his new hat. They cleaned up the dinner dishes together. Sojin stole a few kisses while their hands were busy in the soapy water.

Kat and Sojin relaxed in the living room, watching some TV. Sojin said he would take a shower and get ready for bed first. No doubt making reference to the time Kat showered first and fell asleep.

Kat said, "okay, I will find you something to wear."

Sojin replied, "that's okay, we can figure something out." As he shut the door to the bathroom.

That did not signal the end of the conversation, Kat knocked on the bathroom door and said,"oh-don't worry, I will put a blanket and a pillow on the couch for you. There will also be a t-shirt and some sweat pants for you to wear. Feel free to make yourself at home."

Kat chuckled a little as she picked out something pink for him to put on. She was sure he would like it no matter what the color. She hoped he didn't mind the couch too much, but she was certain it would make good conversation over breakfast. She went to bed thinking of the man in her house. The man she was completely falling for.