Good night

Simple interpretation

 

Sojin checked them in. He returned to the car and then parked in the designated area. Kat got out and helped Sojin with the bags. The room was small, but nice. It had a small table and two chairs by the window, a television and a full size bed. Kat was rather pleased to see the bed and must have let out an approving sigh. Sojin looked at her wondering what she was thinking about looking at the bed.

He laughed a little and said,  "yes, I know, much better than the floor huh?

She said, "my thoughts exactly."

They both unpacked a few things and freshened up a bit getting ready for dinner out. Sojin asked Kat what she would like to have for dinner. Kat was dying for some really great sushi.

"I think we can do that," he said as they headed out the door.

They found a tiny place, just a hole in the wall but there was a line outside to get in. This was a great sign and they decided it would be worth the wait. It also gave them some time to talk.

Kat told Sojin about her sister. She admitted calling her last night. Sojin laughed and said he also consulted his younger sister.

"It would seem we both got the green light from our siblings. Do you think they are worried about having to take care of us in our old age?" Sojin said.

"You might be right," she said.

The time didn't matter, it went by fast. When they were finally in and seated at the bar, they watched as the chef prepared their meal. He created everything with such care, as if he wanted to thank the fish for giving it's life for the nourishment of others. He was fascinating to watch at it was absolutely the best sushi Kat had ever had.

Sojin ordered a beer and Kat joined him. It was a wonderful addition to their meal.

Sojin asked Kat if she would like to continue walking around, she was enjoying the city so much, she didn't mind at all. By chance they walked by a street vender selling hats, glasses, jewelry, etc… Kat saw the perfect thing for Sojin. It was a black hat very similar to the one Lee Min Ho was wearing early today during the shoot.

Sojin said he wanted to go ahead to this little market and get some drinks for later. Kat didn't mind hanging back and trying to acquire that black hat before Sojin could figure out what she was up to.

"You go ahead, I will stay here and look around," she said.

So he made his way down to the market and back again. Kat was sitting on a bench when he returned. Sojin sat next to her, feeling pretty happy with how the evening had gone so far.

"I hope you don't mind, I wanted to get you something  to remember our trip," she said.

"You didn't have to do that, I am the guy, I am supposed to treat you," he replied.

Kat tilted her head a little to the side and reminded him this was the 21st century and there are no rules. Even here, not as far as she was concerned.

"Do you want it or not?" she snapped playfully.

"Yes," he said respectfully as he put out his hands.

"Here, I think it will serve two purposes. One, it's stylish and second-you wear a hat at work, I think you look good in a hat, " she stated.

Sojin looked down at a black hat, clearly more stylish then he felt suited him, but if Kat liked it, he liked it. Then he saw the flashy rhinestone pin that spelled out the word "cool."

Kat said, "it's perfect for the man who is cool, but not too cool."

He was hoping she was kidding, but he could not tell for sure. Sojin put on the hat and the expression on Kats face made him not care about the pin, for now anyway.

She fussed with the hat just a little getting it on it head just right. No doubt looking for the "coolest" slant, he thought. All of a sudden he kissed her. Then he looked around quickly, like he was breaking a law and didn't want to get caught. Kat smiled, took Sojin's hand in hers and walked off in the direction of the hotel.

Now that the sun was down and it was getting later, the coastal weather was a lot cooler than in the city. It would be nice getting back to the warm room.

Kat and Sojin sat at the little table by the window. They decided to enjoy another beer while they spent more time getting to know each other.

"What did your family say about this trip? Did you tell them you were taking me?" asked Kat.

"Sojin didn't know how to respond. He slowly said, "I really only told my sister. I was trying to get going quickly this morning so I avoided the issue with my mother."

"So this is  an issue, I am an issue?" she said.

"No, not at all! I just didn't want to explain to my mother and grandmother all the details of my personal life." He said with some bitterness.

Kat was starting to sense this was a touchy subject so she backed off and said, "ok, I understand."

"I am not angry, at least not at you," he said.

He continued, "I just need to talk to them about you and about me. They won't want to stand in the way of my happiness, I am sure of it. But, maybe I have waited too long. Maybe they think I am satisfied with my life and that I will just always be alone, living with them."

Kat said, "I am not sure I completely understand your feelings. Maybe we should talk first. Your talking as if plans have been made and I think you and I have some talking to do first."

"I am sorry. I have gone about this the wrong way.Things have been going well, and I thought we were n the same page, or at least near it." He said.

"Sojin, I like you. I am having a great time. I also know that at my age, I should feel lucky someone wants to date me. But I am not ready to move in with you…and by move in I realize that would mean marriage," she said.

"I am afraid I am doing this all wrong. This is not the conversation I wanted to have. Not yet anyway. Look Kat, I want to date, frankly I want to see you everyday, and not just at work. I know that's too much, so I am willing to see you anytime you'll let me," he said earnestly.

Kat looked at Sojin and sighed, "your not doing anything wrong. This day has been great! I am very happy to be here with you. You're so kind and a sweet man. You make me feel special. I understand where you are coming from."

"Lets just have another drink and just really say what's on our minds, okay?" Kat said

He said, " yes, I agree. I have liked you for a while. When you had lunch that day in the park and the mugger robbed that women and knocked her down. I went crazy thinking something happened to you. When you came in the lobby doors I wanted to run to you and hold you and tell you to never leave my side again. But since I had never even spoken to you beyond hello, I had to hold back. But I made up my mind that I wouldn't let you pass by again without trying."

"So you smiled back. You knew that would get me. Well, you were right. I may have had a crush on you too. At least I knew I liked seeing you every morning. When you finally spoke to me, I felt happy." She said.

"I am sorry. Sorry I took so long finding my courage," he said.

Kat said, "I am sorry I played with you. My little game that keeps everyone at a safe distance. I don't want to play safe anymore. I want to see you and learn more about you and see more things with you, does that sound okay?"

"Absolutely, that's all I want. I am crazy about you but I can dial it back a bit until you catch up." He said.

Just then Sojin leaned over the tiny table and kissed her. She was surprised, again. But it was a good surprise. But she jumped up and practically announced she was tired and wanted to take a shower. She walked over to her enormous over packed bag and took out a few items, toothbrush, comb, t-shirt, yoga pants, robe, underwear. As she took out the last item she wondered again if this would qualify as good or not.

"I'll take a shower first if you don't mind." Kat said.

"Okay, by all means you go ahead." he said.

Kat went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Time for another little pep-talk with herself. "Look, you will be fine. You like him. He likes you. If you just relax, it will all work out."

She took a hot shower, brushed her teeth and got ready for bed. A bed that someone else will also be sleeping in. Kat finally emerged from the bathroom. It had only been 23 minutes, but she thought it was more like an hour. She even apologized for taking so long.

Sojin said, "please don't apologize, it's okay. I guess I will take a turn."

Kat put a few things in her bag, hung up her sweater for the next day. She noticed Sojin had already hung up her coat and scarf. He is sweet, she thought.

She was tired. The hot shower was relaxing and the drinks may have finally hit her. She laid down on the bed just to rest her eyes. Maybe he will take as long as she did. Out of habit she clicked on the TV and roamed through the channels and without realizing it, she fell asleep.

Sojin came out of the bathroom (after a similar pep talk) and saw his sleeping Kat. She looked so peaceful.

He sat on the floor next to her and said very quietly, "are you really asleep?"

He took the remote from her hand and flipped through the channels. He smiled thinking this is actually a perfect first night together, well...almost perfect. He had another beer and watched some television.

Sojin did finally try to go to bed. He turned off the TV but found Kat was on top of the covers. He was afraid she would get too cold. Not unlike his recent stay with Sung Lee, this just requires some planning and a little engineering. He went to the opposite side of the bed and pushed the covers over as close to Kat as possible. Then he took her arm and pulled her over the covers to the  opposite
side of where she was. She tried to wake but he shushed her back to sleep then covered her with a blanket. Mission accomplished, he thought. He then got in where she was originally and covered up. She made a little wheezing noise when she breathed, it was soothing and it lulled him to sleep.

Hours passed before the sun came up. Kat was the first awake. She opened her eyes and looked around. Rolling over to her left she saw Sojin sleeping quietly.  She got up very slowly but not before he grabbed her arm.

Sojin said, "don't get up yet. It's still early. If you sneak around and get ready then we'll miss this first part of the morning."

"Okay, but what do you mean the first part of the morning?" she asked.

"Just waking up, it's quiet outside. Only the birds are up. We can talk or just look at each other while the sun rises," he said.

"Okay," she said as she crawled back in. It was warm and toasty and...early.

"Did you sleep well?" Sojin asked.

"Yes, I don't even remember falling asleep, but I must have." she said.

Sojin told her about finding her asleep. She wondered how she got on this side of the bed and Sojin explained how he has recently gotten very good at rolling people over without waking them.

"Since we are taking things slow, it would seem our first night together went well," she said.

Sojin smiled a cheesy smile and said, "it could have gone a little better." Then he reached over and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

Kat blushed and turned away. She covered her face with her hands and said aloud, "I don't know why I feel so embarrassed. I am going to get up and get ready to go."

With that, Kat jumped up and headed to the bathroom. Sojin rubbed his face with his hands and quietly said under his breath, you better get up. Ten more seconds and I may not have been able to let you go.