Trip to Busan

Simple interpretation

Should I text him? Kat was thinking, trying to decide what to do. She could wait until morning and just talk to him them. Maybe he was asleep again and she didn't want to wake him. She had all but convinced herself she should go on this trip to the coast. It would be a good chance to see what he is really like. Of course this would also be a good chance for him to see what she was like. What to do, what to do?

(Kat)  *sorry, I am still not sleeping. maybe a trip to the coast would be nice. talk to you a little later.*

--------

Sojin had finally pushed Sung Lee around enough until he was in a position that quieted his snoring, at least a little bit. He was not surprised in the least that he had no roommate. Who could live through this every night.

Sojin laid back on his pillow and closed his eyes. He was thinking about the  last conversation he had with Kat. He closed his eye shut really hard then opened them again. He could not believe his conversation. He played it back in his head. Trying to figure out just where it went wrong. I am rushing it and I'm going scare her away. Now I just seem creepy and desperate.

Just then Sojin's phone beeped to alert him of a text message. Like some kind of kid he sat up and in the dark reads the message. He knew it was from her before he looked at it. Apparently his confidence is back, but this roller coaster of emotions was making him sick. Then he paused before reading it, he thought, this is it. She wants nothing more to do with me. Better she come to her senses now than waste anymore time.

Sojin finally looked at her message. He smiled.  He slapped Sung Lee on the back which caused him to wake and react harshly. Sojin looked at his friend and said roll over and stop snoring. I need to get some sleep. Sung Lee grumbled and rolled over cursing his friend for waking him.

Sojin tried to answer the text. Having trouble finding the words. He finally felt satisfied and hit send.

(Sojin)  ** Kat, l look forward to showing you our beautiful coast. good night**

Sojin finally drifted off to sleep and thought about the coast, the drive, the fun they would have. Kat was finally the someone he wanted to be with. Her smile had melted his semi-cold heart and he felt warm and a little nauseous.

What was he going to do if she did not feel the same way, he thought. How could he make sure and not completely freak her out? Why had he waited so long to give love a chance? Then he stopped thinking. He was once again wide awake.

Sojin just realized this must be love. Having never felt it before he had been unsure, but now he was positive. He knew he wanted her to feel the same. He would not accept any of this one-sided bull from himself. He would need to convince her.

How could he possibly sleep now? Sojin looked at his phone. it was 3:21 am. He had three and a half more hours to try and sleep. He laid there listening to Sung Lee snoring again. He knew now he would have plenty of time to think and think.

A beeping noise indicating a new text message, was barely enough to wake him, but it did. Sojin looked at his phone. It was 6:45 am. Sung Lee had slept so well, he had rolled over closer to Sojin and had threw a leg over him. Sojin tossed off the leg and rolled him over again, wondering just how comfortable could they be with each other.

He read the message.

(Kat)  **looking forward to my personal tour today. I promise to be ready when you get here.**

Sojin jumped up at went to the bathroom. He grabbed his stuff and a bottle of water (whispering thank you to Sung Lee for the lodging, the lack of sleep and the water) he slipped quietly out the door.

 Sojin was making his way to the bus stop enjoying the sounds of the morning and the cool crisp air. He had a new energy today. He was also nervous and hoped that would go away quickly.

The bus dropped him at the hospital where he found his car in the parking garage. He drove home and tried to quietly enter the house. He was not so lucky.

Sojin was instantly greeting by his grandmother. She was sitting at the kitchen table having her morning tea. He said good morning and she asked  what had he been up to so early in the morning on a Saturday. Quickly he tried to make his story believable and with as little detail as possible. She was not letting him off the hook that fast. He loved his grandmother, but she was tenacious at times. Sojin finally mumbled something, apologized and went off to his room.

Once in his room he suddenly felt trapped. How was he possibly going to make it out of this house with little or no information about his plans. He may appear to be a grown man, but not in this house, not usually anyway.

He grabbed a duffel bag and filled it with some clothes and personal items. He stopped for a few minutes just to breathe. Then he realized he was breathing too much. He sat on the floor and tried to calm himself. Some relaxing deep breaths and he was good as new.  He jumped in the shower, then brushed his teeth, shaved and then packed up his bathroom items. He got dressed and stood looking in the mirror for a quick pep talk. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

Come in, he called out. His sister Yoon Na opened the door and walked in.

"Grandmother said you came in early this morning. Why? What were you doing?" Said Yoon Na.

"I went out with Sung Lee and we had some drinks. It was late so I spent the night at his place." Said Sojin.

Yoon Na looked at him, wondering if he was telling the truth while her brother was wondering why the interrogation by his little sister.

"I think I can have my own life and come and go without checking in with you, " he said.

"Maybe, if it was your normal behavior pattern, but it was not," Yoon Na said.

Sojin was getting a little irritated and he really wanted to leave before this became a really big deal.

"Look, I will tell you, but please be on my side, okay?" he pleaded.

Yoon Na looked at him with kind eyes, and she started to relax, This was a side to her brother she had never seen before. She herself was almost 30 and living at home attending graduate school. She was getting her doctorate in Psychology (which was taking forever), but for now she would try and just be his little sister.

"Alright brother let me have it, she said.

"I have mentioned this lady before, she is the American that works at the hospital as an interpreter. Well, we have been talking and dating actually and although it's really new we are going to Busan for the weekend. It may be only for the day or maybe two. Please don't analyze this, I am already nervous," he pleaded again.

She stood there looking at him. Let's be honest she was analyzing him, there was no way for her to turn that off. She also knew how he was feeling and what he needed most. Yoon Na stepped toward her brother and gave him a hug.

She smiled at him and said, "have a nice time, I'll cover for you. I will tell them you are going with a friend and leave it at that. If you are ready to go, you should just go and don't look back. Oh, have fun. She better be nice to you!"

"Thank you, you're the best. She is nice. I think you'll be meeting her soon," he said.

He took her advice and left without a word to her grandmother or his mother, who must have been elsewhere, so it was easy. He threw his bag in the car and took out his phone to make a call.

(Sojin)  "I am on my way, where to you live?"
 (Kat)  "Great, me too..."

Sojin got directions and entered it into his phone GPS, and he was off. A lot was going through his head now. He knew that he would settle down once he picked her up, at least he hoped he would. He made a stop for gas and the attendant cleaned his windshield. Sojin tossed out some trash from the back seat. He made sure there was plenty of room in the trunk and that the passenger seat was neat and tidy. Back on the road he got a call, which he answered.

(Sung Lee) "Hyung--what are you doing right now? You left really early-why?"
(Sojin)  "I just had something to do. You snore really loud dude, you should see someone about it."
(Sung Lee) "Sorry, I do snore. So what are you doing this weekend? why leave so early? Are you by chance going to Busan"….he said with a little laugh.
(Sojin)  "How did you know? You jerk, you weren't asleep were you?
(Sung Lee) "I think it's great, have a good time with Noona. Remember it's back to work Monday morning-Don't stay away too long.
(Sojin) Hanging up now, see you Monday. Thanks.

Sojin smiled as he hung up. The GPS recalculated and began spitting out directions again. It was only a matter of minutes before he reached her exit. He was able to  find her apartment very easily. He parked out front and walked to the door. He knocked and waited.

Kat was busy inside, making sure she had everything. She packed for all kinds of weather. You just never know, she thought. She heard the knock at the door and went to answer it. She paused just a second, took a deep breath and opened the door. Sojin was there, looking like a kid playing hooky from school. She invited him in.

Sojin entered the apartment and looked around. He couldn't imagine living alone, he would like to, he just had never lived in a place by himself. He envied her, it was quiet and had an American feel to it.

He quickly snapped back to reality and asked Kat if she was ready and if he could carry her bag. She gestured to the couch and Sojin went over. He picked it up, then looked at her. He was a little shocked at the weight of it.

Kat looked at him and said quickly, "I am a  girl, it's what we do. We over-pack for everything."

Sojin said, "Okay, no problem-maybe I should start working out, my desk job is making me weak and lazy."

Kat corrected him by saying, "not lazy or weak, just right. Well…I..I...mean it's a really heavy bag, in fact I am glad you are helping me with it, I almost tore my rotator cuff bringing it this far."

They were both a little nervous but seemed much calmer once they started joking around. Kat looked around quickly making sure everything was off and tucked away. She locked the door behind her as they left together. A neighbor was outside taking out her trash. She looked at Kat and smiled. As they walked by the neighbor said quietly, finally that lady meet a man. I thought I would have to set her up on a blind date.

Kat turned to her and smiled and waved ….that's okay Mrs. Song! Thanks anyway.

Sojin opened the door for her. She loved manners. He was always very thoughtful and sweet. She was not used to being spoiled but thinks she might be swayed a little. He returned to the drivers side and got in. He announced buckle up. She looked at him and laughed. Then buckled up, she didn't want to hold things up. Everyone safely in, he started the car and took off. He had already loaded the GPS with their destination.

Kat sat back thinking, this was going to be fun, and smiled.