Love is worth risking it all

Simple interpretation

Kat spent the next couple of days in and and of meetings and lectures. Following Seul Chan around making sure no detail was lost. In her occasional spare time she went shopping. She got something great for Emmy and Elvis.

There was one place in particular that sold very trendy and also very off beat gifts and souvenirs. Kat thought she found the perfect thing for Sojin. She even got two of them thinking it my be a cute couples gift. It was somewhat intimate and she wasn't sure how she would have the nerve to give it to him, but she had a couple days to work on that.
She got the cutest silky boxer shorts made out of printed fabric of the British flag.

Kat checked out and felt a little embarrassed, but the check out girl simply winked at her. Kat was also devising the perfect plan to send a cell phone picture to Sojin tonight, that would spice up the conversation from the beginning. She thought that being apart was not all that bad. She missed him, but she felt the separation did them good and helped them work on their communication skills. They had gotten quite used to long talks on the phone.

It was Sunday night, the night of Grandmothers party. Kat and Seul Chan were in their last lecture of the day. It had gone well. Seul Chan was an amiable person to work with, he was considerably younger and often Kat felt like his mother, but he was always very polite.

At dinner that night, he must have felt comfortable with her because he asked something personal about her and Sojin. He wondered how they started dating? He should have stopped there but he added…you know, at your age?

Kat smiled, thought a little and said,  "well….we had always noticed each other. We found each other attractive in a certain way.  One day instead of walking by each other and smiling, we decided to speak to each other. It just spiraled from there."

She followed up with, "sometimes people are destined to be with someone else and it just takes the smallest nudge to put them together. What they do from that point on is up to the individuals. We both decided this was something we wanted. You are never to old to love another person, it's a great feeling at any age."

Kat stopped speaking for a minute and thought to herself. You just said LOVE! You are never too old to LOVE someone! Oh my god, did you just admitted to Seul Chan you were in LOVE! BEFORE YOU SAID IT TO SOJIN! That's it, you must tell Sojin tonight.

"I guess, but what if you get rejected or worse yet, the person you choose…stops loving you?" Seul Chan said.

Kat replied, "there are no guarantees. You can be cautious and never love or be loved in return, or you can take a chance. The advice I would give having lived all these years, take a chance. Love is worth risking it all."

The two travelers said goodnight again in their familiar hallway. Kat was very eager to get inside her room. One thing she is very happy about and that is she will be going home tomorrow. But, tonight she was anxious to talk to Sojin. First she needed to get ready for her special surprise.

Kat took a shower and organized her suitcase. She picked something out to wear the following day and hung it up. She checked her cell…no message. She did her hair and brushed her teeth and maybe dabbed on some mascara. She put on her UK boxers and Sojin's t-shirt (that she had been sleeping in) and checked her phone again. No messages.

Kat decided to take a self camera shot with her phone. She had trouble getting the right angle, darn her short arms. How do kids make this look so easy. She snapped about a dozen pictures of herself before was satisfied with one. She looked pretty good, not too y…just cute enough.

Kat sat in the middle of her bed, waiting. She wrote a text to Sojin. It took about 10 drafts before she was happy with it. She was apprehensive about sending it. She almost deleted it altogether but she heard her voice telling Seul Chan to "TAKE A CHANCE"…so here goes nothing.

(Kat)** Sojin, missing you tonight. I got you a present, here is part of it. ^..^~  (and she attached the picture and hit send)

Kat fell back on the bed and took a pillow and covered her face. What did you just do, she thought? You're CRAZY!! (she screamed into her pillow) Then her phone alerted her to a text message. She sat up and stared at it…

(Sojin)** NICE! I look forward to chatting more, grandmother is just blowing out the candles on her cake. please wait up for me.
(Kat)** I've got nothing else planned, chat soon.

(Kat)** One more thing, because it can't wait…I've already waited…Sojin, I LOVE you!

------------

Back at the party Sojin was kind of hiding in the crowd. He felt bad for looking at his phone during the party, but he needed too! He was missing Kat. (his phone vibrated) in his pocket.

It was a message from Kat and she had attached a picture. Sojin saw this and smiled and then he almost fell over. He steadied himself and looked again. If he got caught by grandmother she might embarrass him. He looked one more time then replied. Then Kat replied…then she sent another one before Sojin could respond.

Just then he noticed grandmother Looking at him as if she knew he wasn't paying attention. He shoved his phone in his pocket and started picking up plates and cups that were scattered around the house. His mother looked exhausted so he elbowed is sister and asked her to help.

People started leaving and Sojin and Yoon Ha did a good job cleaning up. Grandmother was relaxing in the living room. She looked very tired. Yoon Ha helped her to her room and when she returned to the kitchen she said grandmother looked really pale and had trouble walking. They all agreed maybe too much excitement.

Sojin's mother went to check on Grandmother. Sojin then remembered he never looked at the last text from Kat. He stopped right there in the kitchen and took out his phone and began to read. He stood there looking at his phone…in shock. He didn't move until his mother came in the kitchen very frantic and looking for Sojin.

"Mother, I am here, what's wrong?" He said.

"I think we should call for an ambulance. I think grandmother is not well." She said.

Sojin used his phone to dial out. He called for an ambulance and waited by is grandmothers side until they arrived. They took her to Seoul General Hospital. Sojin and his mother followed. Yoon Ha and Jong Hyun were right behind them. The ER was busy but Sojin went in and waited patiently to the side while the doctors worked. They hooked grandmother up to monitors and started and IV and started running tests. Sojin slipped away to go find his mother.

The doctor finally came out. He agreed it may have been too much excitement. She is older now and her heart is just getting weak. We will keep her here for a couple days and run some more tests. She will get some rest. When she goes home she will probably have to take medicine daily.

The family took it all in and when she was finally in her room they went in to see her. Her room was quiet and very nice. No doubt Sojin puled some strings for her. He explained that she is a very important patient.

Yoon Ha and Jong Hyun spoke first. They wished grandmother a speedy recovery. They will miss her at home. If she is gone too long, all the left over cake may be gone. Grandmother was quiet, but thanked them for coming. She told them everyone was fussing over nothing and they should go home now.

Sojin and his mother pulled up chairs and decided they would stay a while. Grandmother didn't want them to fuss, at least that's what she said, but they knew she didn't mean it. Grandmother did not like being away from home and they knew this wasn't easy.

"Grandmother, we are sorry you must have had too much fun at your party. Does this mean no more celebrations?" Sojin asked.

"No, it wasn't the celebration at all. I am just getting older and things are wearing out." Grandmother said.

Mother added, "You need to listen to the doctors and do what they say."

"I understand, I hate to be such bother. You look tired, you worked so hard today on my lovely party. You should go home and rest." Grandmother said.

"I am feeling a bit tired. Sojin do you want to leave now?" She asked.

Sojin looked at Yoon Ha and asked, "would you and Jong Hyun be able to take mother home?"

"Sure, we can. It would be no trouble. Grandmother we will come see you tomorrow after work. Please don't cause trouble." Yoon Ha said.

"I never cause trouble, but sometimes trouble happens." Said Grandmother.

"I will stay with her for a while, maybe until she goes to sleep." Sojin said.

The others said goodbye and promised to return tomorrow. Sojin settled in and thought this would be a good time for him and grandmother to bond.

"Grandmother, how was your party?" Sojin said.

"It was very nice. Thank you so much for the flowers that came yesterday." She said.

"I know you like flowers and it's a happy occasion." He said.

"Were you disappointed that Kat was not here?" She asked.

"Yes, I was. Now that you mention it, I know you saw me checking out my phone. I was reading a text from her." He said.

"Was she checking up on you? Making sure I was having a nice birthday?" She commented.

"Of course, we have spoke several times over the past couple of days. She was very troubled about missing the party, but she had work she had to do. She said she missed me. In fact she wrote me something tonight that was very interesting." He said.

"What was so interesting it had to be said during my party?" She questioned.

"She told me that she loved me." He said.

"Oh, do you love her, really?" She asked.

"I have really thought about it and yes, I do. Regardless of how quick you think it happened." He said.

"Now I understand. I understand how she could have given me such a personal gift. Sojin I will tell you that I was very touched by the picture. It was more beautiful then I ever imagined it could be. That old picture of my parents, brittle with age and discolored. I didn't even know that something like that could be done from such an old photograph. She gave me that gift and then I felt uncomfortable about how I had treated her. It would have been better if she had not made me feel that way. But, she is American and I wouldn't expect her to understand." She said.

"But I understand grandmother. I encouraged her and helped her. It was a gift from both of us. It wasn't a plot to make you like her. She doesn't think like that. She doesn't do things to entice a reaction or a favor or feeling. She's genuine and kind and she reminds me a little of you sometimes." He said.

"You should go home before it gets too late. It was lots of excitement for everyone. I will promise to not die on my birthday, if that makes you feel better." she said

"I will hold you to that." He said as he left the room. "Please get some rest Grandmother."

Sojin drove back home. He realized it had been quite a while since Kat sent that text. Maybe she was thinking I didn't like it. Oh no! What if she actually thought that? Sojin took out his phone and using his blue tooth devise he called her.

Kat) Hello….Sojin. How are you?
Sojin) I am good. I am sorry for calling back so late.
Kat) It's ok, you were busy. To be honest I had a bad feeling and thought maybe you felt my last message was inappropriate. I am sorry if I offended you. I thought we were…you know...on the same page.  
Sojin) We ARE, WE ARE. It was great actually, but I need to tell you something.
Kat) Are you in your car? If you're not home I can wait until you get home.
Sojin) It's ok, I am on my home now. Grandmothers party went well, but she was feeling a little sick afterwards and actually she is in the hospital now. I am just leaving there.
Kat) Is she at our hospital? Well, is she alright? Please tell me she's alright!
Sojin) She is. She may have just gotten overly excited. They are running some tests and they will keep her for a few days. We are sure she will be fine.
Kat) That's good to hear. Well, Sojin I think we should just say good night for now. I will see you tomorrow. It hardly feels like no time at all. Right?
Sojin) It's been hard, don't make light of it now. It's okay. Why don't you just get some rest and we will have lots of time together from now on and that can start tomorrow. I will pick you up. I have your itinerary, I will be the one looking lonely but very happy to see his girlfriend.
Kat) You know you don't have to. There's a lot going on, I don't need to take you away from the hospital.
Sojin) It will be alright. I want to be there for you.
Kat) Alright, Good night Sojin.
Sojin) Good night Kit Kat.

Sojin arrived at home, a little sad from his conversation with Kat. He had been looking forward to his conversation with her. Taking grandmother to the hospital was unexpected to say the least. Then he felt bad for blaming Grandmother for messing up a phone call with his girlfriend. He wondered how childish could he be?

He went inside, the house was mostly dark. Mother was sitting alone at the dining table. Sojin came in and sat next to her, just after leaning down and giving her a hug.

"How is she doing Sojin?" She asked.

"I think she is resting well. She will be back to her old self in no time, you'll see." He said.

"How about Kat? I am sure you are anxious to call her, right? You should go do that. She will enjoy hearing from you, I am sure." Mother said.

"I spoke to her just now, on the way home." Sojin said.

Sojin went into his room. He was exhausted. He laid on his bed, took his phone out of his pocket and looked at his last message from Kat. He read it again and then looked at the picture. Then he rolled over and buried his head into his pillow. He thought he may actually go crazy before he sees her again. Tomorrow cannot come soon enough. How could she send a picture like that? He liked her tenacity and it made him miss her more.

One quick text to say goodnight, would be alright, he thought. He started to write, then erased it, then tried again.

(Sojin)** I know we already said good night, but I am home and I was just thinking about you. Am I being silly?
(Kat)**No, not silly. I could go for another good night from you.
(Sojin)**Grandmother and I had a chance to talk. She really loved the gift, the picture. She was a bit shocked, she never imagined it could be so beautiful.
(Kat)**I am happy to hear that. I have been worried. I may have alienated her and I was going crazy from the thought.
(Sojin)** I figured that, so I wanted to make sure you knew. Earlier, I was still a little out of sorts.
(Kat)** Sorry for the picture message, obviously I sent it at the wrong time.
(Sojin)**I would have to disagree. There is no "wrong" time to see you. I was a little shocked, I can admit that. I am not a young man, you could cause me heart trouble, you know.
(Kat)**I only want good things for your heart. I want it to be happy and strong.
(Sojin)**I wanted to tell this to you face to face, but since You already set a precedent…In response to your confession…I love you too.
(Kat)** I thought maybe you did not read it, or you did not feel the same. I am so glad that you do. Something made me think, why wait to tell you. I didn't even want to wait until I see you tomorrow. I needed to say it.
(Sojin)**I needed to say it as well. It's also very nice to hear. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow. I will be a hopeless mess until then.
(Kat)**It was just a couple days. Seul Chan is nice company, but I prefer them a little older a little wiser.
(Sojin)**I am glad to hear that. He's a nice kid, I would hate to have to beat him up.
(Kat)**You make me laugh sometime, I really like that. Lets say good night again.
(Sojin)**Good night, again.

Kat crawled deep under the covers on the uncomfortable bed. She set the alarm on her phone and sat it on the nightstand. She was eager to get through the last meeting tomorrow. If sleep couldn't com fast enough. She layed there thinking about Sojin, satisfied with the thought that he was probably thinking of her.