Long night..long day

Simple interpretation

Sojin drove home with a smile on his face. He couldn't stop smiling. He was so happy but it was a struggle to leave her apartment. To say good bye to her was almost painful. Then he started to think about his mother and his grandmother. his smile disappeared and he began to play the conversation in his head. The conversation he knew he was about to have.

The house was quiet when Sojin walked in. His mother was the first to greet him. She was wearing her apron and was obviously working on dinner. She asked if he had a nice time as she was taking his coat from him.

"I had a great time, actually." He said.

"Good, good. Yoon Na said you went with a friend. Who did you go with?" she asked.

"A friend, I have told you about her before. The American that works at the hospital as our interpreter. We had a very nice time," he said in a very casual manner.

"I didn't realize you went with a women. Shouldn't we meet her? I mean you are not hiding her for some reason, are you? Maybe since she is American she doesn't feel she needs to meet your family. How well do you know this women?" she said.

"No, I am not hiding her. I wanted to take her on a trip to see how we got along. To see how we feel about each other." He said.

"How did it go?" She said.

"It went well. Very well. I hope that when she comes here to meet everyone that you, especially grandmother, are kind to her. She is kind and special to me." Sojin said sternly.

He instantly felt bad for getting upset. He may have let his past experience rush in.

"Why would you say this? How could we possibly be anything but nice to her or any friend for that matter?" She replied.

"Thank you mother." He said, then turned and headed into his room to start unpacking.

He closed the door behind him and exhaled nervously. He was glad that part was behind him now. He sat on the edge of his bed, waiting. He knew this was not the last conversation he would be having tonight on the subject of Kat.

There was almost an immediate knock at his door. Yoon Na had just returned from the library and before talking to anyone she wanted to check in on her brother.

"Who is it?" He said.

"YoonNa, can I come in?" She asked as she went through the door.

She went into his room tired but soon perked up as they began to chat. He asked how her weekend was? She told him it didn't matter, now how about you? Start at the beginning and don't leave out anything. She was a little too interested for his liking, but he humored her.

He started with picking her up, the car ride, the conversation. He mentioned the scarf and the drama filming. He showed her the picture on his phone.

Yoon Na looked at her brother as he spoke. It was as if she was seeing him for the first time. He was so excited as he told the story. She thought to herself, it may have just been a few days but he has loved her for a while, of this she was certain.

Sojin continued with his description of the weekend. He recapped the dinner part quickly and THE HAT, the walk on the beach and the drive home.

"Wait a minute mister, you left something out! I don't expect details, but how did it go--spending the night together?" She said with an over abundance of enthusiasm.

"I'm not talking about that with you," he said sternly.

"I said I didn't care about details…was it nice….was it as you expected? She asked.

Just then Sojin got a text message that he was more than happy to look at.

He sent a quick reply, YES!

"It was nice, she was nice, I was nice. It was a nice evening. We were very tired. Actually...she fell asleep," he said quietly as he looked down at the floor.

"Hey, it's okay! I wouldn't be able to respect her if she took advantage of my brother the first night together," she said.

"I know, I am really very pleased about the whole weekend. She was sweet and we talked a lot. You would have been impressed with how I opened up." He said smugly.

"Wow! It's nice to see my big brother all grown up! It's also nice to see you happy and smiling," she said.

"That's good to hear. I'm going to, well actually WE are going to need your help. I told mother about the weekend, when I got home. I am sure by now she has had time to think about it and talk to grandmother. If they turn on her during the meeting, I will need you to back me up. Will you do that?" Sojin said pleadingly.

"Yes brother, I will hep you. Just tell me when." She said.

******

Kat closed the door after watching him walk to his car and drive away. She turned around and headed to her bedroom to unpack.

You really did pack too much, she said to herself. What were you thinking? I guess if that was a test, he passed. If he was in his right mind, he should have left after picking up the bag. He had the chance. It turns out he is a very calm person. Considering his job and he lives with three women, he should be calm. It would probably take a lot to shock him.

Kat hung a few things up and tossed a few in the laundry basket. She removed the rhinestone "COOL" pin and placed it on her dresser. It was a cute memory. She didn't really need a pin to reminder her of him….hmmm….how should she refer to him? It seemed silly at her age to say "boyfriend."

Kat grabbed her phone and decided to send a text message.

(Kat) ** should I call you my boyfriend?
(Sojin) ** yes!

Well, okay…now that is settled. Great! It's nice to know. I have a boyfriend. Man-friend? That sounds odd. She really needed to consult someone about this. She needed to talk to Kelly. She reached for her phone again and dialed Kelly's number.

The phone rang a couple times, then Kelly answered…

(Kelly) Hello sis, how are you?
(Kat) I am fine. Just home from the weekend trip.
(Kelly) Well spill it, I've been waiting. You sound happy so it must have went well.
(Kat)  It did, it did! We had a great time, we talked a lot, we did some shopping, had wonderful sushi, walked on the beach.

Kat told her sister about the blue scarf, the Lee Min Ho sighting and the picture (which she sent to her as they were talking) the hat, the pin and the funny story. She avoided bringing up the "night" back in the room because she was a little embarrassed. But, her sister wouldn't let her off the hook that easy.

(Kelly) That all sounds great, but how about back in the room…that night? how did THAT go?
(Kat) I am not sharing details with you.
(Kelly) I don't need every detail, just a couple!
(Kat) Alright! We walked around a lot that day…we drank some beer, I took a hot shower and....I fell asleep.
(Kelly) Huh? you fell asleep? Did he fall asleep?
(Kat) Yes.
(Kelly) Wow! You are old, you seem perfect for each other.
(Kat) Thanks a lot! Honestly there was a moment the next morning, but…I chickened out. He was VERY sweet. I woke up and tried to sneak out to brush my teeth and hair, but he grabbed my hand and pulled me back. We just laid there talking and smiling at each other. On the bright side, I can say that "officially" we have slept together.
(Kelly) Well sis, you're on your way. I am proud of you and happy for you. Next time we "Skype" he should be there. I would like to meet him. LOVE YOU!
(Kat) Love you too!..and they hung up.

Monday Morning was hours away. Kat and Sojin were both looking forward to it and also a little apprehensive. Kat was having a hard time sleeping, when her phone alerted her to a  text message.

(Sojin) **are you sleeping?
(Kat) **no, and you?
(Sojin) **not really, we can't both be exhausted at work tomorrow.
(Kat) **people will talk, huh?
(Sojin)**yes! no yawning at work either.
(Kat) ** ok
(Sojin) **ok
(Kat) **is it weird to say, I miss you?
(Sojin) **no, I miss you
(Kat) **good night
 (Sojin) **good night Kit Kat.

It was going to be a long night.

The next day the eager couple arrived at work early. Sojin was first, he came with 2 coffees that he picked up on the way. Kat came a few minutes later, with 2 coffees. They met in the employee lounge on the main floor. The four coffees really eased the tension, but being alone in the lounge created another kind of tension. Finally, Sung Lee came in and broke up the silence.

"Good morning you two." Sung Lee said.

"Good morning," they replied in unison.

Sung Lee started to make himself a cup of coffee when Sojin handed him on of their four cups.

"Here, it's on me. Enjoy," Sojin said.

Sung Lee looked at the coffee, then Kat, then the other 3 coffee's and said, "I should be going."

The two replied, "good-bye."

Sung Lee was laughing as he left. Sojin looked at Kat pleading with his eyes, almost to say lets get out of here. Someone needed to be the first to leave so Kat reached for the doorknob. Sojin reached for the doorknob at the same time, and put his hand on hers. She looked at him and her cheeks flamed immediately. He smiled at her as he let her go through the door first.

"Meeting in the lounge isn't a great idea. I'm going to my office. Lets have lunch together. I can meet you in the cafeteria." Kat said.

"Yes. The cafeteria will be safe. I MEAN GOOD," Sojin replied.

"Okay, see you soon." Kat said.

Sojin quickly leaned in and kissed her rosy cheek.

They left the lounge and quickly headed out, each to their own space. Kat looked embarrassed, Sojin looked smug and happy. Sung Lee looked at his friend and said nothing. Just an easy slap on Sojins back. The subtle version of a high five. Sojin "looked" at his friend and without actual words, said relax we are at work.

Kat headed to her office thinking how will this ever work? Why is it so hard to be around him now? Why am I always blushing…I am not a child, but unfortunately a little menopausal.  

The speech therapy department was just down the hall from Kat's office. Kat stopped to say good morning to In Ha.

"Good morning Kat!" In Ha said.

"How was your weekend," Kat said.

"Forget about me, Tell me about you and guard Lee. I have been watching for you to come in." In Ha said.

"Wow, does everyone know?" Kat said

"It's hard to sit on good gossip and you and guard Lee, that's major," In Ha expressed.

Kat said questioningly, "WHY?"

"Because you both seem so different. He is quiet and hardly talks. You are so outgoing and happy." In Ha said.

"I am not sure how it happened either. I guess he had been thinking of me for a while. It was just hard to tell. We are just starting to date. That's all. It's in that new phase, you know?" Kat said.

"Yes, I love that phase. You can't keep your hands off each other. Whatever you do, don't be alone anywhere in the hospital. The temptation is too great and it just ends up embarrassing. Trust me," said In Ha.

"You've been in that situation?" Kat said.

"Well, were not talking about me, we are talking about you and the handsome guard." In Ha said.

"He is good looking, huh?" Said Kat.

With that Kat set off for her office. Her phone beeped to alert her of a text message.

(Sojin) **How are you?
(Kat) ** I am fine. We should try and act professional while at work. I don't want to get us in trouble. See you at 1200 in the cafeteria.

They both struggled a little to concentrate and watched the clock until 12:00. They both eagerly went to the cafeteria. People must have been talking about them because when they walked in most everyone turned to look. But, neither one cared.

They shared lunch and reminisced about the weekend. They made jokes about what time they usually fell asleep and how the ocean air must make people fall asleep faster than here in the city. How Kat can't hold her liquor, which Kat admitted was true. They both agreed it would be a good idea to slow down a bit.  Maybe think about celebrating their one week anniversary. Since they have known each other for so long, it really seemed like more than a week.

They finished lunch then struggle to finish the rest of the day without a phone call to either one. Kat planned on meeting Sojin in the lobby, hoping for a walk to the train station. Although, Sojin insisted on driving her home. kat complained that is a waste of fuel and energy. Sojin suggested she think about moving closer. Kat said something that really got Sojins attention.

"I really like my place, I don't want to move," she said.

"Never?" He asked.

Kate's words began to stumble out, "well, no…I don't know. I never thought about moving once I got here. I also never thought I would be dating, so clearly things change. I guess it is something to think about….or it's something I could think about if I needed to. Oh, I don't know how to answer you."

"So you could move if the circumstances were right?" He asked.

"I don't think I would be opposed to it. On the other hand I really like my apartment. My neighbors are great, the rent is affordable, it seems safe and in a good neighborhood," she said.

The conversation carried through the entire way to Kat's apartment. They both finally agreed that any changes or decisions about apartments or houses or moving, would be discussion for the future.

"Can I at least meet your family before you try and pack me up and move me in?" She said just a little too harshly.

"Sojin, I'm sorry. I don't know where that came from. I am not angry.  I am just tired and it's been a long day, right?" she asked.

"It's okay. I am being too pushy and I don't even know why?" He said.

They finally arrived at Kat's apartment. They both walked in together. They changed out of their shoes and made their way inside. They continued into the living room and sat on the couch. They just sat for a couple minutes without even talking.

Kat started to get up and Sojin grabbed her hand and pulled her back down, closer to him this time.

"I don't want to fight, it seems like we are fighting." he said.

"I don't want to fight either," she said.

Sojin looked at Kat. He wanted to kiss her. He wanted her to kiss him. He had been going crazy all day thinking about her. Her eyes, her smile, her warm lips, her little wheezing noise she made when she slept. There was a constant tension around them all day when they were together. It was worse now.

Sojin began by leaning over to Kat, very close. He was holding her close remembering the ocean smell. It was still in he hair, at least he thought it was. He kissed her cheek, her chin, her neck. Kat was almost ready to scream but instead she met his lips as they moved around her face. She kissed him and he was kind of surprised. A good surprise. He liked it.

They kissed for quite a while before Kat broke it off and finally said, "look, if we can't stop here, I won't want you to leave.

"Okay," Sojin said as he started kissing her again. This time leaning so far over they fell back on the couch.

"No! That's not what I mean." Kat said.

"What do you mean?" Sojin said, slightly out of breath.

"We need to stop. If we stay together again, before I meet your mother. I won't be able to look at her and she won't want to look at me." Kat said, a little out of breath herself.

"Please help me here," she pleaded.

"Okay, you're right. I am being terribly selfish. Please forgive me." He said.

They both sat up straight and tried to relax. Sojin spoke first. "I am going to go. I will call you tonight and I will want to talk so be ready."

"Okay mister, you better be," Kat replied.

Sojin left. He walked to his car, got in and stared straight ahead with his hands on the steering wheel. This is going to be a difficult waiting period. He knew that she was right for all the proper reasons. He better arrange a meeting with his family and the sooner the better. He drove off thinking of puppies, ice cream and kids playing in the park. He thought about his grandmother, his father, smells in the gym, swimming laps in the pool. He thought of anything that would get his mind of Kat and her eye and her smell, her lips…PUPPIES…KITTENS…CLOWNS!!!!  Focus!!!