Good talk with mother

Simple interpretation

Kat walked from the train station to her apartment, like she had hundreds of times. This time, she didn't feel like smiling at anyone. She was sad about having to go to this conference. She was sad about fighting with Sojin, she was sad she was walking home alone and going to an empty apartment.

Once inside, it wasn't any better. She was still sad and lonely. She checked her phone in case she missed a text. Nothing. She made some instant ramen and grabbed a beer from the fridge. She sat in the living room, flipping through the channels. She ran across a drama with Lee Min Ho and that was it. She felt like crying, so she did. Seeing Lee Min Ho only reminded her of the trip to the coast. Kat turned off the TV and decided a hot bath was what she needed. She left the ramen but grabbed the beer and headed to the bathroom.

All she needed was a good soak. It would relax her and clear her mind. The beer of course would accelerate this process. She just wanted to forget about this day and it was working until she heard her phone ring in the other room. Why did she leave it in there? It would just have to ring, she wasn't getting up, not yet. If it is Sojin, she will just call him back. She wanted to have a better attitude when she made that call, so missing it was probably a good thing.

**

Sojin was glad he didn't run into Kat. He was still angry and he was angry about being angry. It's not her fault that something came up with work. She probably feels terrible the way I reacted over the situation. I acted like an and if she never speaks to me again, I won't be surprised. He just wanted it to be perfect. The party was such a good place for everything to fall into place. He knows the key to family harmony is winning over grandmother. If Kat misses this party, grandmother might never come around.

Still, why was he so angry about this. It's nobodies fault, really. Taking it out on Kat was wrong. No wonder she didn't want to hear from him again tonight. If he knows her at all, he should know that she feels bad right now. He shouldn't wait until tomorrow. He should call right now.

Sung Lee tapped Sojin on the shoulder and said,"where are you man? I have been doing all the talking, are you even listening? You aren't are you?"

"I'm sorry. I had a little fight with Kat today, it was something stupid." Sojin said.

"Do you want to talk about it? Sung Lee asked.

"No, that's ok. I can sort it out, " Sojin replied.

"Good, because the last thing we should discuss are your woman problems. I don't have a woman, now that is a problem. Why don't you try and help solve my issues instead?" Sung Lee said as he swigged his beer.

Sojin looked at his friend and thought, yes…lets work on your problem.

"You could use a girlfriend. Someone to make you happy. You need someone to think about and eat dinner with and if you are lucky someday she will be able to accept you in spite of the fact that you snore like bear," Sojin said.

That was it, Sojin took out his phone and called her, even though she told him not to. It rang and rang, but no answer. Now Sojin wanted to panic. He wanted to fix this, but he only felt trying too hard would make it worse. He gave her the space she asked for. It was not what he wanted to do, but he did it nonetheless. Sojin ordered another round of beers.

"One more drink before we go home," he said to his friend.

Sung Lee agreed and gladly accepted the drink. The conversation lagged as they both mulled over their separate situations. Instead of Sung Lee cheering Sojin up, it would seem that Sojin was only effective in bringing Sung Lee down. Both men left the bar, a little sadder than they arrived.

"See you at work tomorrow Sojin," Sung Lee said.

"Okay, see you," Sojin replied.

The two friends made their way home, each in a different direction. Sojin wanted to try calling again, but decided it may be better to wait. He arrived at home and went inside. His mother was watching a drama. She asked if he was hungry and he said no. She got up to make him something anyway. He knew she would. She wanted to apologize for the fight they had earlier.

"Sojin, please sit and have some rice. I will get some left overs too. I know you didn't eat. I can tell. I would also like to talk to you, please." His mother said.

"Alright, I will sit and eat and we can talk." Sojin replied.

Mother went first, "Sojin I am sorry I was not supportive of your idea when you called earlier today. I kept thinking that maybe you are not honestly serious about this American woman. Clearly I was wrong. I thought about it and everything you said reminds me of words I heard your father say to your grandfather. He wanted to marry me and his father was against it. Different worlds he said to him. It would never work and he shouldn't try. He would be wasting his time and effort."

"Mother, I did not know this. You never said anything about your relationship. I know, it's not very common for parents to talk about themselves to their children. What made grandfather give in?" He asked.

"He didn't. He never budged on the subject and eventually it wore on your father a bit. We were in love and he never said anything to us that was supportive. For years, we lived happily but your grandfather was not happy. He showed it, always. In the end, before he died, I went to see him in the hospital. I went alone, your father was working. Your grandfather said he spent many miserable years watching your father and I show him that he was wrong. He didn't like being wrong and had a hard time admitting it. I guess when he was spending his last days, with nothing but his thoughts, he realized that he had been very wrong about us. We were a good match, your father and I. Even if nobody but he and I saw it." She said.

Sojin didn't say anything. He was just taking it all in. Information he never knew. It did explain a lot. She made him feel more determined than ever to start right now…being happy and supporting those around him. Whatever decision they make, they should be free to make it. Yoon Ha and Jong Hyun, Sung Lee and this mystery woman who should be slightly hard of hearing, grandmother and her old fashioned ways. They should live their lives as they see fit, but Sojin wanted to be free to live his.

"Today I  realized I was wrong and before I spend the rest of my life feeling sad and angry I wanted to ask you to forgive me. I know I was the reason you lost your first love. I am sorry. But if that only paved the way for you to meet Kat and know so quickly that she is the one for you, then it was not in vain. I won't say I was right, but it has finally worked out for you. I am sorry that I played a part in all those unhappy and lonely years. It's not what a mother wants for her child. I broke things back then and I did not see a way of fixing them. Until today when those same words came out of my mouth. Hurtful words that I didn't mean. Please forgive me. I will do anything to help you two." She said.

Sojin looked at his mother. Unable to speak, he was so shocked by her revelations that all he could do was hug her. He hugged her for the first time in a long time. Maybe he had become more expressive having been with Kat. All he knew was he could tell she needed a hug and his forgiveness and he was going to give it to her. His mother began to cry and this made Sojin feel so bad.

Then his mother smiled and said, "I don't want to lose you. By accepting her into our family, we keep you and gain another daughter. Your grandmother will understand. She is not as hard as she reveals to everyone. She was always on our side, your father and I. We may not know what her motive is, but soon we will and we can make her understand that this is your life to live and she can accept it or not, but it will happen if that is what you both choose. I think her coming to grandmothers party will be a good thing."

Again, Sojin was speechless. He hugged her. Then he explained how Kat was going to have to go away next weekend and she would miss grandmothers party. He also told her about the argument and the text message and how he felt really awful now. She said he should just give it time. Time always works wonders. Sometimes so much time passes, people forget why they fought in the first place.

He decided that's what he would do. He would wait, and then call her again. He would just give it a little more time. He  took a hot shower and relaxed. He sat in his big comfy chair and starred at the clock on the wall. At 12:01 he made a call.

Kat was laying in bed, not sleeping. How could she sleep? She was tired and wanted to rest, but was worried about her fight with Sojin. She just wanted to have it all be behind them. They could think back and laugh at how silly they behaved. She rolled over and looked at her clock. It was midnight. She watched the clock turn to 12:01 and her phone rang. Who would be calling at this hour? Maybe Kelly? She picked up her phone and smiled. It was Sojin. Then she realized it was tomorrow.