First date

Simple interpretation

The guard was back at his post and Shorty had just walked through her office door. Her phone was ringing, so she hurried to answer it.

"Hello," she said.

"I am not busy right now, I can certainly be right there," she replied to person on the phone.

The call came from the nursing station outside the American's room. The boy and his family were checking out and they wanted to say good bye and she needed to interpret a little between the nursing supervisor and the the parents. She hurried to his room, she didn't want to keep them waiting. They have spent more time in a foreign hospital than anyone should ever have to.

Shorty reached the room and saw the little family sitting in chairs by the window. The young man was playing cards with a Korean boy who had moved into his room in the adjacent bed. The Korean Boy had his appendix removed as well. They had already compared scars and were playing a quick hand of "Go-Stop." The parents were eager to settle everything.

The American boy's parents each gave Shorty a hug and were so happy she was here to help. They didn't know what they would have done without her.

Shorty assured them, "there's always a way."

She picked up a couple of gifts for them on her way home last night. She had anticipated their departure today or tomorrow at the latest. She doesn't do this for everyone she meets, but this family was a little special to her.

First of all, a KPOP magazine featuring all the popular groups, "I heart Seoul" T-shirts for all three and a photo keychain with the picture of Sulli and their son. Shorty used a picture from her cell phone. She thought the boy would like it, and of course he did.

"I can't wait to show this to everyone. My friends will know what KPOP is when I get back home."

She escorted the family to the lobby and hugged them all again as they left the building. Some local high school girls who volunteer one afternoon a week, gave the boy a basket filed with all of the local treats. He blushed and bowed like a native Korean. The girls giggled and hid their faces and they smiled the boy. It was a terribly cute moment.

Shorty turned to go back upstairs but not without first stopping at the guards desk for a quick chat. Once there, she realized this is silly, I should just behave as usual, and not act like I'm 12.

After getting the guards attention, she said,"I was just escorting the family out."

"I could see that. Did everything go well?" he replied.

"I think so, they seemed happy to be going and also commented this wasn't the worst four days they have ever lived through." Shorty said.

The guard was thinking to himself, why is she talking to me? I don't know what to say and this can only end awkwardly. Maybe I should say something… anything is better than just staring at her. She smiled at him and stared at her feet that were shuffling back and fourth.

"Well, I better get back and finish some things up." she finally stated.

He was thinking he should just say it, say something, before she goes…you idiot! Be the man and confirm dinner plans! Quick, because she leaving.

"I was thinking about this great place not too far from here. If you don't mind going to dinner right from work?" he questioned.

She was hoping he would mention something, she almost screamed with enthusiasm, but reminded her self to dial it back, you will scare him. Just smile, that always works.

"I think that would be great. I can meet you here when I finish up, just after five," she said with a smile.

The guard smiled back and with a little nod, showed his approval in the plans. When she was safely in the elevator, he exhaled like he was giving a speech in front of the class back in middle school. Why was he so nervous, he thought.  He was excited about this. In a little over an hour she would be back, they would leave, they would be going on a date. Oh my god, a date!

Shorty was glad she had dressed semi casual this morning. She had chosen a suit, black pants, black jacket and a red shirt. She could just remove the jacket and throw on a black scarf and that should work. Shorty actually took time to run to the ladies room and check herself out a bit. Totay of all days she had a bun-head hair style.

"This looks very uptight and non-date like-you need to come down right now," she said.

She was able to fix that hair DON'T and although she never wore makeup, this time she could use a little. Why was she such a minimalist when it came to make up, she thought. She rummaged through her purse and found some chapstick. Yes, this is perfect, this will make all the difference. She put it on anyway and just hoped for the best.

Shorty couldn't help but feel a little nervous as she left her office and made her way to the lobby. She didn't want to appear too eager so she took her time. She arrived at the lobby about 5:15. The guard must have had the same thought about not looking too eager. He was nowhere in sight, so she took a seat.

She may have had too much time to think because she was having second thoughts about dating a co-worker. Just then the guard appeared from the West hallway. He must have used the shower in the mens locker room because his hair was still a little wet and he was in street clothes. How did he do that? Why was he more prepared than her? She should have warn something different. Then she thought, he looks nice. You should tell him that! Now!

He nervously led her to the door and she told him, "you look very nice."

He smiled but looked nervous again. They exited the building together, again. She wondered if this would become a habit, she wouldn't mind.

The guard was wearing some well warn jeans, a white t-shirt with a white button up shirt over it. He did look nice, but not too nice. That made her feel better. She was hoping tonight would be casual and comfortable.

The place they agreed upon was only a few blocks away, so they walked. A wonderful family owned this business, they did all the work themselves. Cooking, cleaning, waiting tables. It was also very popular with the locals. The food was great.

"This is a wonderful first date place," Shorty said with a smile.

The guard seemed relieved. He still looked a bit nervous. She secretly hoped the tension would leave quickly, from both of them.

The waitress showed them to a table in the back. The conversation was slow getting going. Maybe a louder place would have been more comforting.  

The guard took the conversation lead, "how old are you?"

She was taking a sip of water and gulped it down quickly. She's been here a while but this question always startled her. It's one cultural difference she swears she will never get used to.

"I am 51," she stated quickly.

He almost seemed caught off guard with her answer. He practically choked on his water as well. He quickly tried to recover from this awkward moment with a sweet response.

"Really?" "Because you don't look that old." he said.

Now, usually the deliverer of a comment like that would try and backpedal their way out of it. But he just sat there, like it was a perfectly fair statement. Some things are socially acceptable and almost required, here in South Korea. Shorty quickly thought she often will hear men talking about how mean their wife is, or their mean mother-in-law. Honestly, It's because they keep getting asked their age. Back to reality she thought to herself again, if he asks how much I weigh, I am out of here. Innocent question or not.

She did want to be an open book but some chapters are meant to be conceiled whilst dating, especially a first date.

The waitress came to take the order and the guard ordered for both of them. He only asked if she ate meat and does she like spicy or really spicy. She answered and actually found this funny and adorable. It took some time but she had finally grown accustomed to the South Korean cuisine. She liked spicy but steered clear of anything extra spicy.  

As they finally settled in for some conversation after the meal, she lead with, "how old are you?"

He answered with, "I am 49…this year... in 3 months."

They sat there looking at each other. It was only about a minute but they were both taking the situation in. They are colleagues, but now they are also dating. She wondered what he was thinking. This is a very interesting situation in deed. Then they smiled at each other.

Finally she broke the silence with, "what's a couple years among friends?"

They did manage to get through the rest of the evening and the conversation. No skeletons revealed, no shocking statements. They talked about family, education, the usual. It was nice, well paced conversation.

They finished their meal and drinks and left the cafe. She noticed he was using honorifics with her. She was a little uneasy but then it occurred to her…maybe he is just joking around. Does he joke? He may have a funny side but has she really seen it? Maybe he was being serious right now? She took a chance and said, "seriously, are you being serious now?"

He just smiled at her. They continued walking in silence now. They reached the bus stop quickly and stood there waiting.

She looked at him and asked, "are you going to change your manor of speech around me?"

The guard replied, "should I?"

"I don't think so. I would actually prefer if you did not. I like being casual, in our speech," she said comfortably.

The bus arrived and a few people got off. Shorty started to get on the bus.

She turned around and said, "casual with each other and professional at work, ok?"

The guard smiled and with a fairly deep bow he said, "yes ma'am."

She smiled back and said to herself, he is funny. Funny is good. She waved good-bye as she took her seat.