Conference in UK derails perfect couple

Simple interpretation

Sojin slept okay on the couch but would have preferred waking up next to Kat. He was in no rush. He felt confident that here is where he belonged and waiting to get to the next level was okay, at least he told himself that about ten times a day.

Sojin got up and folded the blanket. He was very quiet, not to wake the sleeping Kat. He made his way to the bathroom, just peeking in Kat's room as he walked by. She looked like she was still sleeping and he didn't want to wake her, not yet.

Kat was awake though. She heard Sojin puttering around the house and then head towards the bathroom. She was laying there thinking how much longer could she keep putting him off. She didn't even really want to keep waiting, but she wanted to sort out the family stuff first.

The bathroom door opened and closed then he quietly came into the bedroom. He was already dressed for work. Kat thought to herself, she should have gotten up first. Now this was going to be awkward.

Sojin sat on the edge of the bed and looked at Kat while she pretended to be sleeping. He just sat there looking at her. After a few minutes he started to get up and then Kat reached out and grabbed his hand.

"Don't leave, not yet," she said.

Sojin's eye got big and he sat back down on the edge of the bed. He looked at her again, then leaned down and kissed her. He asked if she slept well.

"No, not very well," she said.

"A little cold, a little lonely?" with a hint of sarcasm he asked.

"Maybe…mostly I worried about work. I hope that everything works out for the Italian family. I am glad the embassy stepped in, it's more or less out of my hands. I couldn't take another emotional day like yesterday." She said.

"I know. I am sorry I was joking around. I am sure it will be fine," he said.

Kat sat up and moved a little closer to Sojin and gave him a hug. Then she thought, this isn't fair. Let him go so you can get ready. But she didn't let go. Then Sojin started smelling her hair. It wasn't a particularly arousing thing but it did make her a little crazy and she knew that any minute she would be kissing him again and that also wouldn't be fair.

"Okay, maybe you could make coffee and I will get ready," Kat said.

Sojin agreed and left the room. He had to smile, thinking to himself, so she is having a difficult time as well. She is trying to be so considerate wanting to get family approval. Hopefully she knows that if that day does not come, we'll be moving forward anyway. She is adorable for trying. She also likes it when I nuzzle her hair, I will file that away for later. But now, coffee.

Kat jumped in the shower, a little colder than usual.  She was in and out and ready to go in 20 minutes. Sojin was enjoying his coffee at the kitchen table. He smiled at her as she came in. They made small talk as they both got ready to leave for work. They acted like a couple who had been together for a while, they were both very comfortable at this stage. They finally left and drove into the city.

Sojin mentioned his Grandmother's birthday that was coming up. His mother and sister were planning a party for her on her actually Birthday, a week from this Sunday. She will be 87 and that's a big deal.

He said, "I don't think you need to impress her as much as you just need to be around her and family celebrations are a big thing. I know she will like you as much as I do. Just be yourself. Other family and friends will be there. It would be nice to introduce you to everyone and I promise, it will be fun."

"That sounds exciting. You know I would love it. Count me in!" She said.

"We can go shopping together for her gift. You have wonderful taste, but I can ask Mother what she would really like," Sojin said.

"Sounds great, and thank you for yesterday and staying with me." She said.

"You're welcome Kit Kat. I'm so glad you accepted my demands of wanting to take care of you," he replied.   

"I hope it doesn't happen like that again, maybe the next time you come over it will be just for fun," she said.

Realizing how that must sound, Kat tried to fix it. She was stammering and blushing and eventually just looked out the car window.

Sojin just laughed, "Okay, but you said it, next time I come over and spend the night, it's just for fun."

Kat just stared out the window and said nothing. Sojin smiled again thinking she looks so adorable when she is embarrassed. Kat thought to herself when will she learn to edit her words before they come out. Always saying your first thought can get you in trouble.

They arrived at work and walked in together. Sung Lee was already there and apparently had been honing his detective skills, he spotted them walking in the main door together. He just smiled at his friend and Kat. He was very happy for them. It made him feel a bit lonely though. Maybe he should find a girl and date. What was he waiting for? He kept seeing his friend so happy and smiling all the time. Sung Lee had realized he was jealous. He shook his head as if he was in a daze. He gave a quick bow to the couple as they headed towards the elevator. They both smiled back at him.

Standing in front of the elevator, the couple was quiet. Sojin wanted to hug her. It was extra hard saying goodbye this morning. He was completely smitten for this woman. He thought to himself, I need to take it slow…s..l..o..w…it was hard to even think of the word slow. Every other part of him wanted to go fast. Talk fast, kiss fast, drive fast, date fast, impress grandmother fast….so that they could just start their lives together.

Finally! The elevator door opened and Kat went inside, being gently guided by the elbow and Sojin's wonderful touch. She turned and smiled as the doors closed. She immediately exhaled and thought, that moment couldn't have been more difficult if they had actually slept together. Kat was determined now and she made a mental list on the way to her office.

1. Get awesome gift for grandmother.
2. Make grandmother like me.
3. Never make Sojin sleep on the couch again.

Once Kat was in her office, she sat in her chair and then turned to look out the window. She was thinking of about a million little things. Things she needed to do. She looked at the city waking up. It was beautiful and she couldn't think of another place she would like to be. Seoul had so much to offer. Great shopping, great food, wonderful people, fashion, music and above all…a person who she felt she could no longer be without. How could this have happened so fast? She did not look for him, she did not try and catch him, yet here he was right in front of her and so willing to fall for her. She tried to see her future and it only included him. He beautiful daydream was interrupted by her phone ringing.

Her boss' assistant was on the phone, setting up a meeting for 1000am. Kat needed to be there, it seemed really important. As long as it did not include anyone from Italy, she was happy to attend. She needed at least one more day to move past the italian incident. She loved Italy, she knew this would not scar her for life, it was just an unfortunate thing that happened and she would process it and move on.

She wanted to send a quick text to Sojin.

(Kat)** not sure about lunch, I have a meeting at 1000, not sure how long I will be.
(Sojin)**Okay, just text me when you can meet.
(Kat)** don't wait for me if it's too late.
(Sojin)** Kat, you ARE my nourishment…I can wait.
(Kat)**uhhhhh….I gotta go. HUG  ^..^

The meeting with her boss was pretty quick. It was about a project regarding environmental impact and outsourcing with a company in the UK. It all had to do with medical waste and the hospital needed to attend this conference that began next weekend, a week from this Saturday. He was very sorry for the late notice, but there was nothing he could do about that now. He asked her to attend with the department manager. She was of course happy to attend. He told her she would need to leave next Friday morning and return Monday evening, that would give them time to meet the UK rep. for dinner Friday night. He would then like them to finish up with private meetings on Monday then fly back to Seoul. The meeting finished up with some other details and Kat went back to her office.

Kat took a deep breath. She knew Sojin wouldn't be happy and she wasn't happy. She didn't know how she was going to tell him. Unable to wait any longer, she made her way down to meet Sojin for lunch. When the elevator door opened she saw Sung Lee at the desk, but no Sojin.

Sojin arrived a little late. He walked up behind where Kat was seated. He took her a bit by surprise as she jumped a little when he came up behind her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," he said.

"It's ok,  I was just thinking. Can we get something across the street and sit outside?" She asked.

"Yes, lets go." Sojin answered.

The couple got there noodle bowls and took a seat outside. Kat didn't know where to start, she hoped she wouldn't have to. Then she looked at Sojin and realized something was wrong. He looked distracted and not very happy.

Kat asked, "did something happen before I came down?

Sojin said, "no, nothing at work. I did take a call from my mother. Not a very good call. We had an argument and I feel terrible about it. I don't really want to talk about it, sorry."

Kat replied, "that's okay, we don't have to talk about it. If it had something to do with me, I'm very sorry. I don't mean to make things difficult for you. I am though, aren't I?

She assumed it had to do with her. She didn't want to press it, no sense in starting something that they did not have time to finish. She needed to tell him. It would completely derail her whole day if she tried to keep this inside. Like a bandage, it just need to be ripped off. It would be painful but only for a minute. Sojin spoke up and suggested they get back. She easily chickened out and agreed.

The couple walked back across the street. Clearly they were both distracted.

Kat finally broke the silence, "Sojin, I think i'll take the train home tonight."

"Okay, that might be a good idea. I am sorry, I know I had suggested you come home with me again for dinner, but it doesn't seem to be a good night for anyone." He said.

"Alright, then I will see you later." She said.

"Yes, I will walk you to the station." He said.

"Okay, goodbye." Kat said as she walked towards the elevator.

The doors closed behind her and she could see Sojin sitting at the desk talking to Sung Lee. He did look up before the doors closed and gave her a quick nod. For the second time today she exhaled and this time not out of excitement but rather fear.

What just happened, she thought. I know the morning started well. We had a great chat on the way in to work. Now she knew what had happened to her and why she was freaking out, but now…Sojin's behavior was indescribable. He had some discussion with his mother, maybe even a fight and now this! What to do, what to do she mumbled to herself.

Kat was back in her office, staring out the window. This was becoming a pattern. Only now her mind was clouded with worry instead of happy thoughts. This is why dating . It's emotional, it's draining and the highs and lows are enough to drive someone over the edge. She reminded herself this was a new relationship. There are bound to be kinks to work out. She blurted out to herself…be a grown up!

With that, she sent a text to Sojin.

(Kat)**call me when you have a free moment and can talk.

No response.

Well, she did say "when he had the chance." He was busy. This is a hospital, things happen and you can't spend all day talking on the phone and texting your boyfriend.

Her cell phone rang and startled her. It was Sojin.

Sojin) Hi, I have some time right now.
Kat) Okay, I hate to say this, I really wanted to say it earlier, but you seemed so upset about something.
Sojin) I'm sorry, what is it…I'm all yours.
Kat) I have bad news about your grandmother's party next Sunday. I won't be able to make it. I was told today I need to leave Friday night for a Conference in the UK and we aren't returning until Monday. I feel so terrible, I didn't know how else to say it. I am so sorry.
Sojin) There's no way to get out of it? Are you sure? I am very disappointed.
Kat) I know, I am too, please don't make me feel worse than I already do.  
Sojin) I just really wanted you to go. I already made a big deal about it with my mother.
Kat) I knew your fight had something to do with me. It can't be helped. It's my job. I can't chose to do or not do something that is asked of me. That's not how it works.
Sojin) I know, I am just really sad about it, that's all. I have to go, we can talk later.

With that, Sojin hung up. No goodbye or anything. Kat was old enough to know some things. This wasn't good, but she should give him time to work out his issues. That's all he needs…time and space.

The rest of the day dragged on. It got cloudy outside, which matched the cloudy inside. Five o'clock came and Sojin would have usually met Kat at her office. He did not show so she sent him a quick text.

(Kat)**I thought you would walk me to the train station. Should I wait.
(Sojin)**You should go, I think I will be a little while longer.
(Kat)** are you mad at me?
(Sojin)**no, why would I be. If you can wait a while, I can walk you.
(Kat)** no, I am tired. I will go ahead. I don't want to fight with you.
(Sojin)**we are not fighting, I promise I will call you later.
(Kat)** that's okay, lets take the night off. You deal with your issue and I will go home and get some rest. We can go one night without talking.
(Sojn)** now who's fighting?
(Kat)** please don't call, I will talk to you tomorrow.

She waited, but a reply didn't come. She grabbed her jacket and purse and left her office. When the elevator door opened, no Sojin. He wasn't waiting and he wasn't at the desk. SungLee was gone as well. The night shift guard was already at his station. She gave a bow as she said good night when she walked by the desk.

She headed for the train station, thinking about todays events. This is part of being in a relationship. There are highs and lows. This was just a low. No matter how much two people have in common or like each other, eventually something will go wrong. How you handle it, makes all the difference.

Kat did feel his behavior was a little childish, although she may not have behaved any better. She boarded the train and looked out the window, sad, but determined not to cry.