A new begining

Simple interpretation

It had been several weeks since the night at the  karaoke bar. Kat was curious how things were going with Sung Lee and Shin Hye. Sojin said he managed to take her home that night, well a taxi actually drove them home. He walked her to the door of her apartment and he said good night. Then before he could make it back to the taxi, she called out to him and said she had fun. They have had lunch at work a couple times since then. Sung Lee really likes her, but unlike my American girlfriend, Shin Hye is demanding a slower pace. Sung Lee is willing to indulge her request.

Kat smiled at her handy work, although she disagreed that the pace was set merely because she is American. Rather it was a pace encouraged by both of us at our level of maturity. Sojin agreed, Sung Lee is only 28 and Shin Hye just 25, they are just children. They both laughed at that comment. Sojin added that Sung Lee had been so sad, he could not have taken much more. Now that he is dating, he understands what he meant by being around someone so happy. Sung Lee never stops talking about her.

The two left Kat's office, and took the elevator to the lobby floor. They were meeting Sojin's sister for lunch across the street. They used the private trip in the elevator to hold hands and kiss, just long enough to almost get caught by the opening doors. Yoon Ha was already in the lobby waiting for them.

"Hello you two, long time no see," Yoon Ha said.

"Hello Yoon Ha!" Kat replied with a quick hug to her new sister as she referred to her.

Sojin added his greeting as well. "Hello."

The trio headed across the street and found a quiet place inside for a warm and cozy lunch. They ordered quickly and then Yoon Ha decided she wanted to get down to business.

"I wanted to have lunch with you because I think we have some things to discuss. First of all, please don't take this the wrong way, but I was wondering when you two were getting married? I don't mean to rush things, but you seem to be heading that way and you're not getting any younger, so is there a problem?" Yoon Ha said bluntly.

Sojin was trying to control the anger that he felt building inside when he said. "Why would you say such a thing to us? I thought you were on our side? It's not that we don't want to get married. We do! We are just waiting for the right time, right Kat?"

"Yes, I think so, I mean I am sure that is why we are waiting. Actually, Sojin if you want to just do it, we can. I think if we registered and then had some kind of party afterward, well…that would be nice and really all I want. How about you?" Kat asked.

"Yes, I think that would be fine. I really just want to be with you and it doesn't matter how it happens.. Yoon Ha, maybe you could help Kat with…I don't know any questions or shopping you know,  stuff like that. Maybe choose some nice announcements." Sojin said.

"Well, sounds like all you need to do is pick a date and set things up." Yoon Ha quickly added.

"We could do that, it would be a lie to say we haven't both been thinking about it, right?" Kat said.

"I would love to help you in any way. Shopping, I love shopping! Well, I guess my work here is done. I need to get back to school. I am presenting my paper in a couple of weeks. Soon you can refer to me as Doctor Lee." Yoon Ha said jokingly as she walked away and yelling good bye as she went through the door.

Once outside, Yoon Ha hailed a taxi and called her grandmother at the same time. She told her that she had met with them and it was easy. One tiny push in the right direction and they both agreed and starting making plans. It should be no time before an official announcement is made. Grandmother expressed her happiness and thanked Yoon Ha for doing her this small favor. Grandmother wanted them to be happy and if that meant being together, then she wanted it to start now and be proper. She was no longer standing in their way but she was growing tired of waiting, fearing if they waited too long she would never see her only grandson happily married.

Kat and Sojin sat and looked at each other, wondering what had just happened. Then they smiled thinking this was going to be happening soon. It was foolish to wait any longer. Kat suggested her photographer friend take pictures. She said she could take care of the announcements, she just needed a date. Kat pulled out her phone and began punching it until the calendar came up. They decided on a Saturday for the party. Kat said she would leave making the registration appointment to Sojin.

"Oh my goodness, I almost forgot. We have to tell my sister and it would be great if everyone could meet. Lets have your family over and we will plan a Skype call. Everyone needs to meet first, I insist. Do you think your family will be okay with that plan?" She asked.

"Well, if they know what's good for them, they will agree. How about this Friday?" he said.

"I think that will work just fine. I will text Kelly and set it up. You handle your family and we can all meet at my apartment again. We can have dinner, Skype and work everything out." Said Kat.

Over the next couple of days Sojin and Kat made plans like professionals. Kat ordered announcement that would be in the following week. She went shopping one afternoon with Yoon Ha and found the perfect dress. Simple, not too fancy. It was just Kat's style. She also knew Sojin would like it. She set everything up with Kelly to be at home with the family for a  Friday night (Saturday afternoon) call.

Sojin made arrangements for the registration and even checked with the American embassy, they would need to register there as well. Sung Lee's parents owned a beautiful house in Seoul. They were currently out of the country and agreed to let Sojin and Kat have their party there. They promised it would be a small affair with family and just a few friends. The couple was amazed at how easily it was all coming together.

It just so happened that Sung Lee's aunt was a caterer and agreed to provide everything for the party. She would cook on site and she insisted on taking care of everything, even decorating.  She loved Sojin like family. He had taken care of Sung Lee as he started out at the hospital and also kept him out of trouble. Sung Lee was almost 30 now, and hardly needed any looking after. Still, the aunt was very appreciative of his kindness.

As Friday got closer, Kat planned the meal and did the shopping. She was trying to make everything perfect. Merging these two families was once thought to be impossible, Kat now looked forward to the meeting. She was hoping they would like each other. Bridging the gap between East and West seemed exciting now.

Kat again asked to leave early on Friday. She explained about the meal, the families meeting. Her boss was nice. He was also very understanding about the dating issue that now seemed to turn into a marriage issue. She tried to explain, nothing needed to change, they would still be the same people, same employees. He was not worried about that, he wanted to make sure she would not be quitting. They had all grown to like Shorty and respect her very much. They needed her and Sojin. She again said she had no plans of leaving and thanked him for his concern.  

Kat made it home early enough and started getting busy in the kitchen as she made a quick phone call to Kelly.

Kat) I am sorry for calling early.
Kelly) Hi! It's a little early, the kids are outside playing-should I have them come in now?
Kat) no, you are fine I was just preparing dinner and I wanted to chat with my sister.
Kelly) you go for it.
Kat) I never thought something like this would be happening. It's very exciting, I wish you were here.
Kelly) I know, it would be fun sister time, right? Didn't you say his sister had been very helpful?
Kat) Yes, she has been great. I am just a little home sick for my Kelly.
Kelly) well the kids are so excited, Elvis wanted to learn some Korean words, he hopes to impress his auntie Kat!
Kat) that would be so wonderful, I can't wait.
Kelly) you should concentrate on cooking…we will be here ready to go when you call. I will call the kids in as soon as we hang up. They will be cleaned and fed and ready to meet everyone. When do you think, about noon our time?
Kat) around that time sounds good. It should give us time for dinner…but to be safe it may be closer to 1:00 your time.
Kelly) don't worry, it will be great. Love you!!! bye bye!
Kat) ok, talk soon!

Kat hung up and continued with dinner preparations. She knew Sojin would be on time, he was looking forward to this. She tried to factor in traffic and time everything just right. Yoon Ha and Jong Hyun arrived first. They were so sweet, bringing gifts and everything.

"Of course we have gifts, this is like your engagement party, right? Gifts are required." Yoon Ha said.

"Well, it is very kind nonetheless." Kat replied.

"I can't believe how quickly this all came together. Just shows that anything is possible if you put your mind to it." Jong Hyun added.

Yoon Ha helped Kat in the kitchen, although there was not much left to do. The doorbell rang and Kat made her way over.

"Ringing the bell? Shouldn't we just go in?" Grandmother asked.

'Well….yes, we can. I don't know why I rang the bell. I do usually go in, or use my key." Sojin explained.

"Oh a key, I suppose this is where you will be living? No reason to continue living with your sickly grandmother and aging mother." Grandmother added.

"Aging mother? I am not sure how I became part of this conversation…" Mother said.

"Well, then lets go in quickly please." Sojin directed

Kat reached the door just as they were coming in.

"You didn't have to ring the bell, you can just come in, please. We will all be family soon, right? She looked at Sojin and quietly said, why did you ring the bell silly?" Kat said.

Sojin whispered to her, "I don't know, all these women, I am not sure what I am doing anymore."

Kat looked at him and smiled. She reached for his hand and looked at him straight on with her most encouraging look. He smiled at her with a look of relief. She rolled her eyes a bit and whispered, such a tough guy.

Dinner went very well. Once again Sojin's mother complimented her on the meal. Kat as usual apologized for the things she felt were wrong and added how much she looked forward to cooking lessons with her mother-in-law. Sojin's mother was embarrassed but said she would be so happy to teach her anything.

Sojin then announced that Kat's family wanted to get to know our family so we arranged a phone call over the internet, so that everyone could see each other and meet somewhat face to face. Yoon Ha was the first to express her excitement. Grandmother wasn't sure about such a thing, so Sojin explained the process. With everyone on board and gathered around Kat's computer, that was now situated in the living room, she made the call.  

Kelly and Jake were sitting together when they answered the call. They greeted everyone with a cheerful hello. Kelly even waved, it was cute. Kat introduced everyone in the room, them her sister Kelly and brother-in-law Jake. Sojins mother said hello first then Yoon Ha and Jong Hyun. Grandmother was the last to say hello.

Before Kelly could ask a question, Elvis popped up on the screen saying "hello Sojin's mother and grandmother" (in Korean.) They were both so impressed they were speechless.

Grandmother laughed and said, "what a smart little boy you are. What is your name?"

"Elvis, like Elvis Presley, but he is dead now. My grandmother that lives here really liked him. They had a dog named Elvis but he died too and then my dad thought it would be great if I was Elvis now, so they named me Elvis." He said.

Kat was trying to translate, but had trouble keeping up. When she finally got the last word out grandmother laughed again. She was so fascinated with seeing them on the computer and talking to them, she was just so happy. Sojin's mother took her turn saying hello and asking questions.

Kelly then said, "That was our son, he is very advanced for not quite five years old. I also want to introduce our daughter Emmy, but she is shy and she also wanted to dress up for the occasion so please understand that she is only two and a half and this is the outfit she insisted on wearing. Then the cutest little girl in a plastic tiara and pink feather boa with matching pink sequin dress, hopped up on her dads lap. When she saw all the faces looking back at her on the screen, she turned around and hugged his neck.

Sojin spoke first saying, "hello Emmy. You look like a movie star. I love your tiara (all in his best English.) I want you to meet my family."

Emmy slowly turned around and looked at everyone again. Then she hopped off her dad's lap and got really close to the camera until her face filled the whole screen, and said hi!

Sojin's mother was so impressed with Emmy, she could hardly take her eyes off the screen. Everyone began chatting again, Kat did her best to translate. It was a whirlwind of conversation and so much laughter it brought tears.  

Sojin's mother smiled at Kat and said and said, "thank you. This is a wonderful gift."

"We wanted everyone to meet like this because we have an announcement to make. Kat and I would like to announce our engagement. It will be a rather short engagement since we plan on registering as a married couple next week. For those here in Seoul we want to invite you to a party to celebrate, next Saturday." Sojin said.

"I know this is all very sudden. The entire relationship has happened very quickly. Well, actually it took a while getting started, but from that point on it has been picking up speed. We are very happy and getting married is something we both want. We hope we have every ones support." Kat said in English and Korean.

Kelly and her family cheered…much to the delight of Sojin's family. Elvis took turns with Emmy hogging the screen. With Emmy's "hi" and Elvis' best "congratulations" (in Korean) nobody noticed Kat and Sojin slowly drift to the background in the living room.

"I love you," Sojin said.

"I know, me too." Kat said.

"I think this is all really happening now and I couldn't be happier." He said.

The couple faced each other and held hands. They just spent a few seconds looking at each other while the chaos that took place just a few feet away went completely unnoticed.

"After the party next week and then our honeymoon trip to the coast, you can help me pack. The apartment came furnished, so I really don't have a lot of stuff. We can have me moved into your place in no time. Your room will be perfect. Maybe we can go shopping for new linens, something new can make it seem like "our" room instead of "your" room. Then your mother will tech me how to cook and I can help Yoon Ha plan for her big wedding. We will be able to go into work together and then home at the end of each day." Kat said without hardly taking a breath.

Sojin looked at her and said, "whatever you want my darling Kat, whatever you want."

 

The End