Chapter 13

My Father's Lover

Ryeowook’s POV

I held Kyuhyun’s hand when we were on our way to the hospital. He must be worried sick but there’s nothing I could do to help him.

Kyuhyun pulled me along with him as we ran in the hospital but as soon as he saw his family from a distance, he let go of my hand.

“How is Omma?” He asked his stepmother.

“She was too agitated earlier when she was quarreling with your father and fainted.”

Kyuhyun glared at his father who was as worried as he is outside the ward. I went to Ahjussi’s side and pat his back softly to comfort him. “She will be fine.”

Kyuhyun stormed into the ward alone…

Ahjussi left his seat and walked to the garden outside the hospital which I followed too.

“It’s my fault.” Ahjussi said.

I remained silent while I wait for ahjussi to recount what happened to me.

*recall*

“Unnie told me about what happened to Kyuhyun at work.”

“Then do you still have to ask?”

“He is your son, why would he do it?”

“My son? Are you sure?” Ahjussi asked.

“What do you mean by that?”

“I didn’t want to say it but who knows if Kyuhyun is actually your lover, Seo Yeehyun’s son.”

“What are you talking?” Tears start to well up in her eyes.

“I heard your conversation with him 10 years ago that you were pregnant with his child. Was that the reason why you agreed to live with me? So that I could be your son’s instant father?”

*Slap*

“How could you say this… Is this why you treated us this way for the past 10 years? Don’t you know how much i…”

Madam fainted…  

*End of recall*

I put a hand on ahjussi’s shoulder. “Ahjussi, no wonder you treated Kyuhyun so coldly.”

“On the day I heard her conversation with her ex lover, I was firm that Kyuhyun isn’t my son. I sent him abroad so as not to see him. But I love Eunja so much that I couldn’t bear to let her leave me so I kept her by my side while still mistreating her. I wanted to die that time, knowing that she betrayed me. But… I met you, at the roadside selling flowers alone, striving so hard to survive. I was inspired by you.” Ahjussi said to me.

“Did you ever ask her? If you really love madam, you should have given her a chance to explain.”

“Need I ask her further? Everything is clear.” Ahjussi said helplessly.

“But…”

“I’ll let them go. Since staying with me is a torture, I will let them go.”


 

 Kyuhyun’s POV

“Omma, how are you?”

Omma is crying pitifully.

“What’s wrong? Tell me.” I said to her.

“Nothing… Don’t ask.”

“How would it be nothing?”

“Kyuhyun ah, let’s leave.”

“Mwo?”

“Leave the family. Let’s lead our own lives, away from theirs. I’m tired.”

She covered herself in the blanket to continue sobbing.. I saw from the window, Ryeowook and aboji at the garden bench talking so intensively.

Cho Kyuhyun, that’s the place Ryeowook should be. Your presence would only confuse him.


 

Ryeowook’s POV

I stayed with Ahjussi in the hospital until the next morning and the moment. After I covered Ahjussi with the blanket which fell to the floor, I entered the ward to greet madam with a tumbler of water. However, I found that her bed was empty.

Kyuhyun isn’t around too. I almost dropped the jug in my hands on the thought that I may not see Kyuhyun again. I ran out of the ward immediately to where ahjussi is.

“Ahjussi! Madam is gone!” I woke him up in a rush.

Ahjussi’s eyes widened and jumped onto his feet. Despite his weak legs, he walked quickly to the ward to check it out himself. He lost his balance when he saw the empty bed.

“Ahjussi, are you okay?” I asked as I supported him at the arm.

“They… left me.” He mumbled in his breath.

I helped ahjussi to the bed. I walked out to a corner to take out my phone to call Kyuhyun. Hurry pick it up, I thought to myself.

After a long while, he picked up the phone but did not speak.

“Kyuhyun ah, where are you?” I asked while crying.

“…”

“Talk to me.” I pleaded.

“Omma and I will be fine, don’t worry.” He finally spoke.

“Where are you going?” I asked worriedly.

“We will figure it out, as long as we are not in this house.”

“What about me? Don’t you care about me?” I asked him.

“….. Aboji will be there for you.” I know that he forced himself to say that.

“Kyuhyun ah, I must tell you now that I am not your abo…” But Kyuhyun interrupted me. “Ryeowook ah, I mean… Ryeowook ssi, I got to go. Take care of yourself. And Sarang… Forget it. Take care.”  

He cut off the line after that leaving me to shout into the phone like a lunatic.

“I’m not your father’s lover, Pabo…” I finally said it but, there’s no one to listen.