Chapter 9

Bittersweet Change: Escape

Sips of drinks, clanking of forks against plates, the atmosphere was suffocating us all. Dai and Hana were conversing amongst each other and would at times talk their uncles, but the kids didn’t seem to take notice to what was around us. Everything felt awkward.

 

Kris was at the head of the table as he usually was and I sat right next to him as I usually did. However, it felt like tension was shooting through both of us, everyone of EXO had nudged their chairs away from us. Makoto, unfortunately, was on the other side of Kris, the spot where I’d have either Kai or Suho at. Somehow, Kris got her to sit there instead knowing that spot is reserved for someone else, someone far more better. You’ve got to be freakin’ kidding me, right?

 

As the dinner continued on, I could see the worried and uncomfortable looks on the boys faces. I felt horrible for putting them through this, so I cleared my throat and tried to fill the room with more of an alive feel than this graveyard mood.

 

“So, how’s the dinner taste?”

 

D.O.’s head shot up and he complimented, “Amazing as always, Mi-Hyun! I still wish I could have helped you out at least, you know my cooking multiplied with yours equals the best food anyone could make!”

 

Chanyeol interjected, “That’s true, but knowing you D.O., you’ll probably take over the kitchen from Mi-Hyun and not let her do anything.”

 

I giggled a bit, “I wouldn’t mind that one bit. Besides, he’s perfectly fine when we cook together.”

 

Baekhyun interrupted, “Oh no, Mi-Hyun, he’s just playing a facade. Last time I tried to cook with him, he practically threw me out the kitchen and kept saying I was doing everything wrong. Only reason he acts like that towards you is because of his huge crush-“

 

Without me noticing what Baekhyun would say next, D.O. had kicked Baekhyun under the table, causing Baekhyun to throw himself up, grabbing his shin, groaning, “Oww, you jackass! That really hurt!”

 

D.O. threatened, “Next time won’t be that light. And I threw you out the kitchen because you were doing everything wrong! You kept cutting vegetables too thick, putting too much seasoning on the meat, and not to mention complaining about how long it takes to boil water!”

 

“Hey, it does take too long! And I swear if you try to hurt me again, I swear I’ll-“

 

“Do what? Put that stupid eyeliner on me. News flash moron, the eyeliner is getting pretty old. You’re a man, not a woman!”

 

Uh oh, there’s Baekhyun’s button. All of us know how much he treasures his eyeliner, he hates being without it too long. Immediately, he ran around the table and launched himself at D.O. The two started wrestling around, but because I didn’t want the kids exposed to this kind of “violence”, I asked for Chanyeol to break the two up. He nodded his head and casually approached the two.

 

He placed both of hands of their chests and we all saw a orange light strike their chests. Soon as that fire touched them, both of the boys leaped away from each other and ran back to their seats. They grabbed their waters and threw it on their chests while screaming, “HOT! HOT!”

 

All of us died laughing, seeing Baekhyun and D.O. fanning themselves and trying to grab more water to cool themselves off. The kids were pointing at their uncles, teasing, “Babos!” Chanyeol had his fists in their air, feeling proud of himself. The rest of EXO had either their heads thrown back in happiness or were rolling on the floor. As I started laughing, I looked to my right and could see Kris chuckling, not wanting to break away from his serious look. His eyes met mine and his expression turned a bit lighter.

 

I gave him a small smile. He luckily returned a same one to me. I looked down at the table and could see his hand coming closer to mine. He took my hand in his and started grazing his thumb over it. I peaked at him again and he mouthed to me, “I love you.” I tightened my grip on his hand, feeling a sense of relief. This is what I like. For that moment there, I forgot Makoto was right across from me, but I didn’t care. It was at this moment I could show her who Kris belongs to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dinner was finally over and Kris had decided to get the kids straight to bed. Chen had volunteered to stay behind and help with cleaning up, but I was perfectly fine with doing the work. Once he left, surprisingly, Makoto said she wanted to help me, she kept insisting on it. I would say no, but I had to up my pride and not let the girl see my jealousy.

 

I waved for her to come over and we got everything done in due time. I found it weird she knew where everything went, until it hit me that she’s been here far too long to know what each cabinet holds. She’s been over-staying her welcome. As I got done putting the last dish away, “You know Mi-Hyun. You’re awfully lucky.”

 

I turned around and saw as Makoto was staring at the window, looking out into the lake. “What do you mean?”

 

“I mean, you’re lucky that you have someone like Kris as your mate; the way he looks you, how he cares about you, and how much he talks about you. I hope I’ll find that soon. But it’ll probably be hard considering Kris told me how I need to find a mate.”

 

“Well, it’ll happen. I mean, I wasn’t expecting to fall in love so quick, let alone it be someone who is a wolf. But here I am, practically married and with kids. So, don’t put yourself down, you’ll find him.”

 

Makoto kept her stare out the window, lost in deep-thought. She finished putting the last dishes away, exited the kitchen, and headed up to the guest room. Before she disappeared from my view, she looked over her shoulder to say, “I hope when that happens, he’ll be like Kris. Anyways, goodnight Mi-Hyun.”

 

Once I heard her door close, I started to go into deep thought. Why did she say that she’ll hope he’ll be like Kris? Was she hinting at something to me? I mean, could I just be over-analyzing it, or do I need to be careful of something? It’s just that ever since she got here, I haven’t felt that comfortable around here. No matter how long we’re around each other, my gut just tells me that the girl isn’t right.

 

“You know, all your thinking is going to drive you insane someday.”

 

I felt two warm arms snake around my waist, jolting me out of mind-state. I felt a chin landing on my shoulder as the back of my body was against a firm wall. I kept my eyes locked on the outside, not knowing what to say to Kris. I should be happy that Kris was being affectionate, but why did I still feel mediocre?

 

“Puppy, she was just complimenting on our relationship. That’s it. Don’t get paranoid over it. Besides, you should be happy that you’ve got a guy that any girl would die to have. I’m one-of-a-kind you know.”

 

I switched myself around so I could finally meet eyes with my mate. Kris leaned his forehead on mine, staring into the depths of eyes. My Okami rubbed his hands on my upper arms, trying to keep my nerves calm. He gave me a peck on my lips while resuming to reviewing my profile.

 

I knew that there was a lot more on my mind, mostly about the incident we had during the day. Especially what he said when he walked out, “I’d rather have Makoto here than you at the moment.” Soon as that thought lurked into the front of my mind, I unintentionally let out of the caverns of my mouth, “Wouldn’t you rather be with Makoto instead of me?” I swiftly transported myself to our room and into my bed, absorbing into the covers.

 

No less than a few seconds, I heard the click of a door and felt the other side of the bed getting heavier. Kris tried to pull me close into his chest, but I knew he could feel how tight I tried to keep my body. I didn’t want to let myself be embraced because I was still hurt over those words. It was all that kept replaying into my mind.

 

“Puppy, what are you talking about? Are you still thinking nonsense?”

 

I got out of my position and sat myself up on the bed. Kris did the same and stared at me confused.

 

I silently yelled, “You know what I mean, Kris! What you said today, how you would rather have Makoto here than me. You really think it’s easy for me to get over something that hurtful! I was in complete tears!”

 

I felt my tears coming back just as they did before, wetting the blanket under me. I clutched my chest because it felt like the arteries and veins in me had tightened into one tough knot, stopping my breathing. Kris, seeing the pain that was engulfing me, clutched on to me, trying to hold me together.

 

He whispered into my ear, one arm around my waist while one hand held the back of my hair, “Baby, I don’t know what you’re talking about, honest. Lately you’ve been having these weird encounters between you and I that I can’t even recall. I would remember saying something that hurtful, but I know that I could never say those hideous words to you.”

 

He held on to my shoulders and looked intently at me, “I love you, don’t you forget that. You are my mate, and I would never choose you over anyone else. Mi-Hyun, you’re the mother of my two wonderful children, you’re the woman I have completely fallen in love with so many times. You believe me, don’t you?”

 

I closed my eyes so that I could focus into the depths of the thoughts in Kris’s minds. Surprisingly, everything he said was related to the multiple words in his mind. His head was filled with, “Believe Mi-Hyun. I love you. Why are you acting like this? I would never hurt you. What’s going on with you?”

 

I slowly lifted my eyelids and looked to Kris. His lips pouted a bit and his auburn eyes were beginning to wet. I tilted my head, reached around his neck, and pulled him for a long, soft kiss. Kris leaned us back onto the bed, keeping us tangled into each other. As the mini make-out session was ending, and the nighttime reached Kris, sleep had covered me as well.

 

Author’s POV:

Mi-Hyun may have finally let herself rest after her stressful day, but she didn’t get enough time to notice the presence glaring at her and Kris outside their window.