Chapter 20

Bittersweet Change: Escape

DOUBLE UPDATE!!!


Kris and Akio are injured horribly. Blood is dripping from both of their heads. Cuts and deep scratches are around their necks, arms, and legs. I can hear their heartbeats beating weakly. Both of them are on their knees, their breaths sounding harsh. I know for a fact that if I don’t get the real Kris to Lay as soon as possible, he won’t survive. I slowly walk over to them and stand right there in between.

I scream, “Who the hell is which?! Don’t play games with me!”

Of course though, I am received with two Kris’s arguing that they are the real Kris. They both beg to me to kill the other one. They are too weak to even finish each other off.

 

On my right, the first Kris pleads, “Puppy, you have to believe it’s me! I’m the real Kris!” On my left, the same Kris clone, or actual Kris, pleads, “No Puppy, don’t you believe him! That’s Akio, I am Kris!” I hear them going back and forth, screaming in my ear that I can’t think straight. I shout, “SHUT UP, JUST LET ME THINK!!” My hands are squeezing my head as I’m trying to suppress this migraine I’m suffering with. I scrunch my eyes shut so that I may put all my focus on both of their minds so that I can get some clue on who is who.

The Kris on the left is thinking, “You know it’s me Mi-Hyun, you have to believe me. Please don’t let me die. I haven’t lived life enough yet with you. I need my family, my kids, you. I’m the real Kris.” On the right, his thoughts read, “Mi-Hyun, I know you can hear me. Please don’t believe him. You know in your heart who is the real Kris. You can feel it, can’t you? I love you Mi-Hyun, and I know you know that I’m your Okami.”

Once I finish mind-reading, there’s only one idea I got that can help me break Akio’s ability. I change back into a wolf and look at both Kris’s. My head keeps turning back and forth, trying to decipher this case of mistaken identity. I can feel it in my gut that I don’t have much time left because I can hear their heartbeats getting slower and slower. This feels like I’m in charge of cutting a wire in a timed-bomb and if I pick the wrong damn wire, I lose the love of my life and my own life.

 

I walk over to the Kris on the left and just stand there. I gaze into Kris’s eyes and do that for a while. My head tilts to the side as I whisper, “Kris?” He nods, “Yes, Puppy, it’s me.” He shakily reaches out to me, arms coming towards my neck. Once he embraces me in a hug, I nuzzle into his neck.

“Kris?” He answers, “Yes?” Two tears escape from my eyes, “I will always remember you as someone who was my one and only best friend. I love you. Goodbye…” I open my mouth wide and dig my razor-shape teeth into Akio’s neck. I can taste his bitter blood in my mouth before I lightly snap his neck and pull away. Once I release him, the cloned Kris finally reverts back to Akio. His knees give in and he falls forward.

With his last breath, “Goodbye……Mi-Hyun.”

 

Once I hear his body fall with a thud, I look down at him and feel immense sorrow, but before I can grieve, I hear Kris behind me weakly demanding for me. He barely smiles at me, “Mi-Hyun…..Mi-Hyun…..” before passing out and dropping to the ground. I revert to human form and run over to Kris. I turn him around and lay him on my lap. I repeatedly pat his face over and over, crying out, “KRIS! WAKE UP! KRIS!” I try to shake him but he won’t budge.

“Don’t you die on me, don’t you dare die on me! You need to get up! KRIS!” I look out to the forest and yell to the sky, “LAY! LAY! EXO, HELP ME, PLEASE! KRIS IS DYING! LAY!” I hysterically cry Kris’s name as it echos through the trees. I can hear his heartbeat’s only a couple seconds apart, indicating he is giving up. I put my forehead on his and beg his unconscious body, “Don’t leave Okami, don’t leave me…………….Please don’t die on me…………….Please…… please don’t leave me………..I love you too much to live without you……Don’t go…….”

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

It’s been hours and still nothing has changed. Suho and Lay are locked in my bedroom tending to Kris. When it seems like he’s reviving, his body is fighting the healing process. It’s like the grim reaper really wants to take Kris with him as a prize. As the rest of EXO are praying with their head in their hands, I’m a crying mess. D.O. wraps his arms around me as I weep into his chest. Kai rubs my back, not having any words, or thoughts, to console me with.

 

So many thoughts are running through my mind, it’s making me more nervous about what could happen to Kris. For EXO, I know this will devastate them immensely. We are a family and without one or the other, it’s incomplete. Sure Kris is a tough alpha, but he is one of the best alongside Suho. He’s saved each member and treated them like a fellow brother. Kris is the type where he’d rather lose his life than let his fellow member fall in front of him. Kris doesn’t deserve to die.

If I lose him, how on earth will I ever explain to Dai and Hana about the loss of their father? They’re just kids; they don’t deserve to feel the unexplainable pain of lossing a parent at this age. I would feel like a failure as a mom for not saving their father. Dai and Hana would never forgive me. I could never forgive myself either. I can’t have a family without him. Who on earth wants their kids to have to deal with the nightmare of not having a father anymore?

For me……. I don’t think I can survive without my mate. Kris, I love him too much to ever let him go. No matter what happened between us, I know even if I tried, I could never stop loving Kris. Apart or together, just the thought of him keeps my heart alive. If he were to die, I don’t think I could go on living anymore. I’m stronger with him than without.

 

As the sun starts to set, we hear steps coming down slowly. All of us get up from where we’re sitting and await whoever is coming down. Suho reveals himself to us and sighs, “Lay is trying his best to save Kris. However, his injuries are really terrible. He sustained head trauma, severe internal bleeding, and his lungs are slightly scarred. I don’t know how much more Lay can do.”

Once Suho tells us the news, I let go of D.O. and walk over to Suho. I hug him tight, “Suho, please let me see him, if anything were to happen, I just need for him to hear my voice so that he knows I’m there for him.” He nods his head and takes my hand in his. He leads me upstairs and into the bedroom. Once he closes the door, I sit right by Kris’s side. I almost forget to breathe from how taken back I am to see my husband in his state. He’s got multiple bandages on, dark-indigo marks are imbedded on his body, and his body looks absolutely pale.

Lay is on the opposite side of me, his hands waving over Kris’s, using all his power to heal Kris completely. Lay watches me for a while. I can see he has been crying from how red his eyes are. The veins in his eyes look like they haven't even blinked once. I try to smile at him though it looked like a sad attempt. I just sit there, holding Kris’s hand, praying to God in my head that he will save my love.

 

Suho leans on the door, not wanting at all to look at Kris. All he asks is, “Lay, how he is doing now?” Lay exhales with a hard breath, “I’m trying as hard as I can, but Kris’s body is falling weaker and weaker. As I heal him more, he still doesn’t have much life left in him.” I put one hand over my mouth, trying to suppress my cries. As my eyes begin to drown once more, Suho tries to get me to leave, but I beg, “No! I need to be here! He needs to know I’m here!”

I tighten my hold on Kris’s hand and lean over to his ear. My other hand is his hair lightly as I whisper into his ear, “Kris, I know you can hear me. I need you to know that I will never leave your side. Through hell and heaven, I’ll be standing right next to you. You need to wake up though. EXO need you. Dai and Hana need you. I need you. If you leave me, so help me God, I don’t know what I’ll do. Please Kris, there’s still so much I feel like we haven’t said or done. Don’t leave me with regrets and only a few memories. I love you Okami and you love your Puppy, right? Wake up for me, let me hear your voice again. Let me see those eyes again. Let me hear your strong heartbeat that’s music to my ears. Please, come back to me…….I love you Kris……..I love you……”

 

A deep-voice faintly mutters, “Mi-Hyun…” All three of us turn our heads to Kris, hearing his first response after a long time. I move myself in front of his face, “Okami, I’m right here. Say my name again. Let me know you’re here with me.” He again repeats, “Mi-Hyun,” but a bit louder this time. I tighten my hand on his and bring my lips close to his, “Kris, I’m right here. If you wake up right now, I’ll be the first thing you see. You need to open your eyes and accept Lay’s healing for me. You need to live. Live with EXO……..Live with Dai and Hana…….Live with me…..We love you……Your kids love you……I love you. I love you. I love you……”

After my long confession, I softly kiss my mate’s lips. I place my hands on both sides of his cheeks and hold his face frame. Slowly, I feel his lips responding to my kiss, moving a bit in sync with me. His arms gradually rise up and find it’s way to the waist of my body. As I keep kissing Kris, I can hear Lay say to Suho, “It’s working. His body is starting to cure.” I smile from Lay’s words and continue to kiss my love.

 

What felt like forever, I feel a more tightened grip on my waist. I get a small bit on my lower lip and pull a tad away. Ultimately, I see those deep, dark auburn eyes that I know belong to my husband. Kris smiles at me and his lips, “Don’t stop kissing me, I need you badly.” I begin to giggle and cry at the same time, fulfilling Kris’s request. I mumble, “You came back to me,” and Kris responds, “I will never leave you. Not in this lifetime.” I start to sob wildly again and hide myself in Kris’s chest. Kris kisses the top of my head, “I love you, Puppy.” I bawl, “I-I love you, O-O-Okami.”