Chapter 7

Bittersweet Change: Escape

I started to walk towards the lake. I knelt to the ground on my knees and watched Dai and Hana playing the water. I sadly smiled because I honestly felt so much like a failure to my kids. What if Kris was wrong? What if he had fallen for this girl and had gotten sick of us? I had finally found home after so long, and it feels like everything is about to be taken away from me. I put my head in my hands, trying to hide the tears that I felt were about to burst from eyes.

 

“Don’t you waste a tear on Kris, he’s not worth it.”

 

I kept myself in my same position even though Kai sneered those words about Kris. I then felt Kai’s arms wrap around me as he comforted me. All I could think about what I was going to do, and knowing Kai, the more I think, the more he gets agitated from my over-analyzing.

 

“If anything happens, trust that I will never leave your side Mi Hyun. You’re my sister, and those two are my niece and nephew. I’ll care for you as long as I live.”

 

Kai kissed the temple of my forehead as he rubbed my shoulders. I kept feeling my tears still dripping on my hands when I heard from the background,

 

“Kris, thanks so much for taking me hunting again! I had so much fun!”

 

Kai and I both turned our heads to see Kris and that girl coming out from the woods. I wiped my tears and got myself off of the ground. I was about to walk towards Kris when I noticed his arm was hanging over her shoulders. That’s how he is to me. Kris was laughing and smiling, but I just wanted to break down and run off to who know’s where.

 

Kai took himself of me and immediately was gearing up to go at Kris. I grabbed his wrist and shook my head at him. He huffed out in anger and walked to the kids to play. I decided to teleport myself to my bedroom.

 

Soon as I was in the bedroom, the one Kris and I solidified our relationship in, I immediately fell to the floor on my knees. I choked on my tears and felt a pull at my heart. I wanted to grab that girl and throw her to wherever she came from. It wasn’t right. That’s my spot she’s in. That’s my husband she’s basically got around her. I quickly I had to compose myself because I had a decision to make, whether to stay here or go back at Kai’s house. Although it would be easy to run away from my heartbreak, I can’t do that because I couldn’t put my children through that. Poor Dai and Hana have been begging to be home, what kind of mother would I be to take them away from that?

 

“Puppy, you’re home!”

 

I felt a backhug from behind me and had Kris’s head leaning on my shoulder. As he did that, I put my arms around his and felt bliss. I should be mad, but I just couldn’t help that this is what I missed. I needed this love that only Kris could truly give me.

 

“I’m so happy you’re home. I saw the kids outside and almost had a heartattack. I pretty much swung them around in the air saying how much I missed them. Of course, I rushed up here to see my babe soon as I could.”

 

Kris started to kiss my shoulder and a bit of my neck. Knowing Kris and the kind of “wolf” he is, I was not in the mood to let this escalate. I released myself and faced him. I didn’t have enough in me to lift my head, so I barely spoke out, “Why haven’t you called me?’

 

Kris’s eyes immediately grew worried and I knew he could see the distress in my eyes. He sighed and then took both of my hands in his.

 

“Mi Hyun, I didn’t mean to not call. I just was busy trying to make sure that Makoto would adjust-“

 

I retorted, “So she has a name?”

 

Kris was surprised by my anger interruption, but he continued on, “Yes, she does. I was trying to make sure that she would stay in control of her wolf powers so that it would be safe. I guess I was caught up training her, I lost track of bigger things which is my family.”

 

I wanted to believe Kris, but what Kai told me, it started to make me get upset. My fists were clenching and without thinking, I started to lash out, “Then explain this, why were you and Makoto lying here, in OUR bed, and you were her hair?!? I need to hear from my own brother about this?!?”

 

I glared at Kris while I felt my tears kissing my cheeks. Kris’s expression was complete guilt. He looked and stared at the necklace he gave me. He played with it, unable to look me in the eyes. I lifted his head so he could see what he was doing to me. Immediately, his tears were beginning to push out from his eyes, so he pulled me in for a tight hug.

 

Kris started to sob out, “I’m sorry, Mi Hyun! If anything, it was wrong for me to do. I don’t know why I was doing that, it just happened. Believe me though when I say this, I would never do anything unintentional or on purpose to hurt you. I promise you that nothing is going on between Makoto and I. You are my love, my wife, mother of my kids. I would be the biggest idiot in the world to jeopardize something as precious as that.”

 

I should be upset. I should just tell him to screw himself and be on my way. But I just can’t. Hearing Kris’s thoughts, he was screaming at himself for hurting me. I could hear it in his voice and mind that he was being sincere. I stopped crying and just stayed in Kris’s arms like this for a while. I came back into my mindstate and pulled myself from him.

 

“I trust you, so if I were you, don't do anything to make me think otherwise. Also, since the new girl seems pretty sane, the kids and I are staying.”

 

Kris grinned so big and started to bounce, “Thanks Puppy! I promise you won’t regret this.”

 

I hope so.

 

“Also Okami, you and Kai need to apologize to one another.”

 

Kris stopped himself from his excitement and gazed at me with annoyance. He furrowed his eyebrows and started to growl. I didn’t need to read his mind to know that his answer was…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“HELL NO! I AM NOT APOLOGIZING!”

 

“I’M THE ALPHA, YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO RESPECT ME!”

 

Kai started to laugh sarcastically, “Oh sureee, I’ll respect that I saw my sister’s boyfriend basically getting too friendly with another girl. I don't give a crap if you're the Alpha!”

 

“For the nth time, it wasn’t anything! I would never cheat on Mi Hyun, you should know that!”

 

Kai and Kris kept arguing back and forth, neither wanting to budge. As we all sat in the living room, EXO were sitting on the couches, popcorn in their hands as they watched the drama unfold in front of them. I swear I heard Tao whisper, “If they fight again. I’m betting money on Kris.”

 

I playfully slapped him before I decided to end this ridiculous feud once and for all. I pushed the two away from each other and knew I had to use a different method in order for them to it up and apologize.

 

I took in a deep breath and threatened, “If you two don’t make up, I swear Kai, I will beat the hell out of you! I’ll get EXO, excluding Kris, to help me and they will do it considering I’m the Alpha’s mate. And as for you Kris, no !”

 

Everyone stared at me wide-eyed, they knew I meant business. Kai and Kris glared at each and both of them stomped their feets. I could faintly hear them apologize in their low, snarling tones.

 

“Louder, both of you!”

 

Kai and Kris barked, “I’M SORRY!”

 

Soon as they did that, I crossed my arms, smirking at the two.

 

“Good job, see that wasn’t so hard.”

 

I could hear them both complain in their minds. Kai scorned, "I'd rather drink a whole bottle of hot sauce" while Kris was nagging,"I would rather get knocked out so I don't have to remember any of this crap." Kai and Kris just continued their intense eye-glaring contest. Both of their stares just burn holes into each other’s corneas. I shook my head in disbelief. These two, such morons.

 

“Anyways, how about we all enjoy the rest of the day by going out for a nice hunt and maybe a nice dinner?”

 

All the boys leaped from the couches, all ready to go out back into the woods. Chen was joyfully singing, “Let’s go, let’s go!” Tao was stretching his arms and legs out because when he’s hunting, he might as well be getting into a fight with an enemy. Kai and Kris ignored each other and made conversation with the rest of the team.

 

I headed upstairs quickly to wake the kids up from their naps so we could all enjoy the outing together like the family we are. Just as we were all about to head out, “Wait, don’t forget about me!”

 

I looked behind me to see her waiting at the ends of the stairs. Makoto.