Chapter 11

Bittersweet Change: Escape

As we heard Makoto’s blood-curdling scream for Kris, her voice was being drained by the sound of crashing, glass breaking, and windows smashing bellowing out of the house. All of us rushed out of the lake and headed straight for the house.

 

As Kris held on to my hand, I screamed for Kai and Suho to take the kids and keep them safe. This wasn’t good at all. Soon as EXO and I flooded into Kris and I’s house, the scene was too unbearable to look at. Thank goodness Dai and Hana weren’t here for this.  All around us, the house was destroyed.

 

Our couch and chairs were ripped up, the tables broken to bits, and scratches were laid all over the house. We went ahead and surveyed the rooms downstairs and upstairs. Sadly, it wasn’t any better. The beds were broken, mirrors looking like they were punched, and everything else looking ransacked.

 

Once Kris and I went into the kids’ bedrooms, I almost collapsed. Their beds had been thrown against the wall, their toys ripped to shreds and broken apart. Their clothing was either scattered everywhere or ripped at the seams. I tried to turn away and hope my room wouldn’t be worse, but its state was just as bad our kids’. Our stuff was just as destroyed as theirs. Our bathroom mirror was broken and our furniture had be broken in half.

 

While EXO were trying to identify the crime in front of us, I was staring down at the pictures I had on my dresser until someone broke that too. Laying on the floor, pictures of the kids, EXO, and especially Kris and I had been destroyed by someone’s filthy hands. The pictures had been taken out of their frame, crumpled and thrown onto the floor. Funny thing is, the selca that Kris and I took on our anniversary overlooking the lake, there was a tear right in the middle so that it looked like separate photos of him and I. 

 

My hand was over my mouth as I was muffling my cried out sounds. All that was roaming through my mind was who could be this cruel? What was even more difficult to comprehend was someone had been in the privacy of my room, and most importantly, my kids’ space. I felt a presence behind me, and it picked me up from the ground. I had my head deeply hidden in Kris’s chest, hearing the quick spurts of his heartbeats.

 

“I swear Mi-Hyun, we will find out who did this, and we will kill them. No one does this to our home and gets away with it…….”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because our house was just too destroyed to put to repair, we somehow had to fix it up as much as we could so the kids could come back in. I had Kris set them down for a nap so we could discuss the matter at hands. Once the kids were sleeping, we got down to business.

 

Kris glanced at Makoto, “What happened? Who did this?”

 

Makoto was keeping her stare towards the floor, almost as if she couldn’t dare to look at Kris. I could see sweat forming at the bridge of her forehead, and her nostrils were flaring. Finally, she ped and spoke, “I heard some noise downstairs while I was resting. I thought you all came back so I was going to come greet you when I realized it was someone else. Just before I could run for help, I was grabbed and my eyes were covered. I decided to try and throw that person off me, and when I did, I screamed for you and that stranger left. I have no clue who it could have been.”

 

She speeded quick with her explanation, but I called complete bull- on it. I didn’t have to read her mind to know she was lying through her pearly-white teeth. I glanced side-ways at Kai who shared the same expression as I did. We both nodded once I got up and approached her.

 

“Why are you lying?”

 

Makoto’s eyes opened up pretty big as she stuttered, “What-what do you mean? I’m telling the truth.”

 

Kai came right from behind me, “You know something more than you’re telling us, Makoto. If anything, that “story” was a complete fabrication.

 

Kris looked at Kai and I in disbelief, surprised we would call her out like that. I looked back at him, staring straight at his orbs so he could see I was serious. He turned his attention back to Makoto, pausing for a while, before shaking his head. He could read the truth inside her head too.

 

Kris knelt to the ground on one knee so he was at eye-level with her. “Makoto, don’t you dare lie to us. Someone came in and destroyed Mi-Hyun and I’s home. This is where my kids sleep and play. Now tell me,” raising his voice higher, “what happened?!”

 

Makoto dropped her head, but I could see tears dropping on to her knees. She stood up and dashed straight for upstairs, her weeping leaving a sound behind. Kris scoffed, “Ugh, I’ll go figure out what’s wrong with her.”

 

At this point, I wasn’t buying her innoncent story.

 

Luhan cut the silence, “Kai, Mi-Hyun, what does she know? Obviously, you two and Kris know the full story, so what happened?”

 

Kai stepped up and explained, “Well, we couldn’t figure out exactly what really happened. But she kept thinking about the guy that did this and how she felt like a coward or something for not stepping in.”

 

Lay asked, “So it’s a guy?”

 

I jumped in, “Yep, she kept thinking about him and how weak she felt against him. Her description, we could probably use to figure who he is.”

 

Kai and I basically broke down what we could remember from Makoto’s thoughts. He was over probably 5’5 in height. He has dark brown hair to match with his auburn eyes. His body was average size yet toned-up, and his arms were defined by muscle. His voice wasn’t as deep as you could compare to Kris’s voice. Also, the description of his symbol matched with one we were very familiar with in the past.

 

We looked up at everyone who all nodded their heads in understanding. We knew exactly who we were dealing with. I was about to speak when Kris’s footsteps were stomping down the steps. He leaned against the wall at the bottom of the stairs, just dazing off in mute.

 

Suho casually walked to Kris, putting his hand on his shoulder, “Okay, what’d the girl tell you?”

 

Kris looked around to Kai and I, shrugging Suho’s hand off. He pointed at us, “First off, Makoto felt really attacked by you two. You guys shouldn’t have jumped on like that.”

 

I could see the look on everyone’s face, stunned that Kris was taking her side again! Suho glared at Kris, pissed the hell of at the other Alpha, “Why the hell are you blaming Kai and your mate?! That girl, I’m sorry Makoto, wasn’t being honest! We’re in danger for all we know, and the only person who knows who did this won’t speak the hell up!”

 

“She was scared dammnit! Makoto didn’t know how to react! She felt weak, you think that’s easy for a newborn to handle this early on?!”

 

I folded my arms together and stepped towards Kris, standing right in the middle of the two, “I don’t care if it was the devil himself! Did you suddenly throw out the thought about how our kids live in this house?! Imagine if they were here when it happened! I can’t bear to live with the thought that they could have been kidnapped or killed! Kris, look what Makoto is doing to you! She’s making you go against us!”

 

“No, she isn’t!”

 

Tao stood up, “Yes, she is Kris. We all see it. The way you’ve been attentive to her, basically coddling her. You’re forgetting the fact we still need to find her clan because someone else bit her. Most importantly, she’s lying to us when we’re the ones who took her in. Makoto needs to be honest if she wants to be here longer.”

 

Kris groaned and breathed heavily out his nose, “I get it, alright! I just feel bad for some reason and I’m just trying to help.”

 

I grabbed Kris and closed him into a hug, “But I need your help, Kris! I need you to be here with me, especially now that things seem to be turning really bad. All of us, EXO, need you. I need you..... We are a family and I won’t let my family be put in danger by anyone, especially by the new-born.”

 

Kris wrapped his arms around me and kissed my cheek, “I’m sorry, Mi-Hyun. Things have just gotten so weird around here, my mind feels so messed with. But now that this has happened, I got to keep myself straight, and it’s first figuring out who was here in our house.”

 

Kai spoke, “We’ve got an idea, but first, what did Makoto tell you?”

 

“She basically said that she got so freaked out, all she could do was stand there in fear as the guy was terrorizing everything. He threatened he would kill her if she made a sound, so she tried to keep quiet. But once he was getting ready to leave, she was more frightened because of the way he glowered at her. Makoto thought she would die, so that’s why she screamed.”

 

Her explanation still seemed fuzzy to me, but at least it was better than the last. We all murmured “alrights” and “okays” and proceeded to discuss the criminal.

 

“Okay, now that we know for sure that Jonghyun did this, what are we going to do?” Suho asked.

 

We were about to throw out ideas, but surprisingly, Chen brought up a really valid point, “Something doesn’t make sense. There is no way only Jonghyun could have been here to destroy everything. Someone else had to have helped him.”

 

Xiumin shook his head up and down frantically, “You’re right! If Makoto and Jonghyun were downstairs when he was breaking everything, someone else had to be upstairs doing the rest of the damage.”

 

We kept hushed after the revelation came to us. The question now that was lingering all around was who else could have been involved?